Hortensia is a small tree or shrub from the family Hortensia. It captivates the hearts of flower growers with its decorative look: lush green foliage covered with hats of pyramidal or spherical inflorescences.
A variety of petal colors allows you to create in your garden a paradise for every taste. The flowers are pink, red, white, blue, purple and even blue.
There are about 80 types of hydrangeas. However, not all of them withstand frosty winters. What types and varieties are most suitable for Russian gardens? What conditions need to be created to enjoy the bright riot of colors?
Hortensia paniculata is one of the most appropriate ornamental species for Russian gardens. It grows on average up to 3 meters, in especially good conditions - up to 5 meters. The pubescent leaves of an elliptical shape reach a length of 12 cm. The flowers are gathered in paniculate pyramidal inflorescence.
Flowering begins in June and lasts until October, but the peak occurs in August and September.
Only blooming buds have a greenish color, over time they acquire a white or cream shade, and in the fall - pink or slightly purple color.
Inflorescences emit a delicate pleasant aroma, thanks to which they are good honey plants.
Paniculate hydrangea prefers to grow in partial shade or shadebecause its inflorescences shrink in the sun. It should be protected from wind and drafts. The species is frost resistant, some varieties can tolerate up to -25 degrees.
Because of this, they can be grown in the central and northern parts of Russia. With sufficient snow cover, the plant in winter does not need shelter; without snow, light shelter is necessary.
In areas without severe frosts, bush planting can be done both in spring and autumn, in the northern regions it is better in spring. Since hydrangea paniculata grows rapidly, it needs annual spring pruning. It will not adversely affect future flowering, since the buds of this species appear on the shoots of the current year.
Among the wide variety of types of hydrangea paniculata the most popular are:
- Grandiflora - has dense inflorescences about 30 cm long. The flowers are sterile, at first white, by the autumn they become pinkish. A bush about 2 meters high.
- Kyushu - frost resistant. The height of the bush - 1.5-2 meters. White inflorescences get pink color in autumn.
- Brussels Lace - large inflorescences are ivory.
- Pinky Winky - a bush 1,5-2 meters high. It has conical inflorescences, acquiring a pink-purple color. Sterile flowers predominate. Flowering period - from August to October.
- Limelight - the height of the bush up to 2 meters. It has dense inflorescences of sterile greenish flowers, turning pink by autumn.
- Dart’s Little Dot is an undersized variety up to 1 meter high. It has a cory pink inflorescence.
- Phantom - bush up to 3 meters high. It has very large pyramidal inflorescences of a cream-white color, turning red by autumn.
- Vanille Fraise - the height of the bush about 2 meters. Large conical inflorescences initially have a white color, then turn pink, and by the autumn become almost red.
Large-leaved hydrangea reaches a height of about 2 meters. It has upright stems and simple green leaves. Large spherical or umbellate inflorescences can be pink, white, blue or lilac.
Their color depends on the acidity of the soil: on alkaline and neutral soil it will be white or pink, on acidic it will be blue or blue. Flowering period - from August to September.
Large-leaved hydrangea is a thermophilic plant. She also prefers bright places, but without hitting the scorching rays of the sun.
Demanding on the composition of the soil: does not tolerate lime soil.
This species is not very frost resistant. Buds appear on the shoots of the past and the current year. Often in conditions of a harsh winter, young shoots freeze slightly. In the end - flowering in the summer or not at all, or it is very scarce.
Therefore, it is important to cover large-leaved hydrangea for the winter with non-woven material, straw or lapniki. In the spring, it is important to open the plant in time so that it does not bloom. Another option - in the fall to pick up a bush in the greenhouse, and for the winter - in the basement.
- Ever Peppermint - shrub up to 70 cm. Two-colored flowers have a pink or blue center (depending on the acidity of the soil) and bright edges.
- Red Sensation - bush height up to 80 cm. It has burgundy stems and red flowers. Blossoms 2 times: on the shoots of the past and the current year.
- Expression - a bush up to 80 cm high. Pink or blue terry flowers are collected in large corymbose inflorescences. It blooms from July to the cold.
- Endless Summer - blooms on the shoots of the current and last year. It has large blue or white flowers.
- Romans - has double flowers, collected in large spherical inflorescences with a diameter of about 20 cm. Resistant to frost.
Hydrangea tree is a bush with a height from 1 to 2.5 meters. Oblong with notches leaves have long petioles. Top sheet plate is green, bottom - light, bluish.
Inflorescences have a flat or spherical shape and reach a diameter of 15-20 cm. Buds appear on the shoots of the current year. In the lush and airy inflorescences fruiting flowers prevail.
Tree hydrangea is suitable for growing beginner growers, because it is unpretentious, shade-tolerant and frost-resistant. An increase of about 30 cm per year ensures rapid growth. After 3 years, a small sapling turns into a beautiful bush. It blooms for a long time: from the beginning of summer to September.
This type of soil is unpretentious, but likes abundant and regular watering, does not tolerate drought. Prefers a shadow or a penumbra.
It does not require special preparation for winter, as it can well winter without shelter. But nevertheless it is better to hide young copies.
Pruning branches in early spring contributes to the rapid restoration of the bush after winter.
Hydrangea tree does not have a rich varietal diversity. The most popular varieties for Russian gardens are:
- Incrediball - height of the bush up to 1.5 meters. It affects large spherical inflorescences of white.
- Annabelle is a powerful bush with a height of 1-1.5 meters. Green leaves in length reach 10-15 cm. White spherical inflorescences can reach 25 cm in diameter. The view has a high frost resistance.
- Invincibelle Spirit - a new breeding variety. Just blooming inflorescences have a dark pink color, which by the autumn brightens a bit.
- Sterilis is a bush 1.5-2 meters tall, with a diameter of crown up to 2.5 meters. Large hemispheric inflorescences first have a greenish tint, with time they become snow-white. The flowering period - from July to late autumn.
- Hayes Starburst - height of the bush up to 1.5 meters. Resistant to pests and diseases. It has spherical white inflorescences with a diameter of up to 25 cm. Terry flowers.
The stalked hydrangea is a vine, which can be 25 meters long. The leaves are dark green, have the shape of a heart. Sterile and fruiting flowers are collected in inflorescences-shields with a diameter of 10-20 cm. Their color varies from white-green to lilac.
With the help of aerial roots and suckers, the plant weaves up the support. It can be used for decorating walls, arches, arbors, tree trunks. However, due to the fact that the species does not tolerate severe frosts, it is recommended to remove the vine from the supports for the winter and cover it.
The stalked hydrangea is also used as a ground cover plant that forms a thick green carpet. In this case, the plant will not bloom.
The most popular varieties of hydrangea are the stalked:
- Kordifoliya - undersized frost-resistant variety up to 1.5 meters high. Pyramid-paniculate inflorescence consists of creamy fruit-bearing flowers and sterile white along the edges. It has a pleasant honey aroma.
- Miranda - up to 6 meters. The peculiarity of the variety is wide sawed leaves with a cream or yellow border.
- Petiolaris - the highest grade, up to 25 meters high. It can move along the ground or braid support.
The arboreal hydrangea is a two-meter shrub with red shoots. Green leaves are shaped like oak leaves. By the fall, the foliage takes on a crimson color, so even non-flowering shrubs have a beautiful decorative appearance. White fragrant flowers are collected in spike inflorescences. It blooms from early summer until September.
The place for landing should be chosen in a shadow or a penumbra, protected from drafts and wind. This type of soil prefers fertile, without lime.
Watering - moderate. Oakolistnaya hydrangea is not very resistant to frost, so it requires a winter shelter. Pruning of the bush is carried out in spring or autumn.
Suitable for the southern regions of Russia.
Radiating hydrangea is an erect shrub with pubescent shoots up to 2.5 meters high. Dark green jagged leaves have a half heart shape.
The thyroid inflorescence has fruitful cream flowers in the middle and white sterile at the edges. The flowering period lasts a month, starting in July. The fruits ripen in September.
This type of photophilous, prefers high humidity and fertile soil.
Its frost resistance is low, so for the winter it is necessary to have a spruce or dry foliage shelter.
But if the bush and freeze, in the spring it quickly recovers and blooms. Suitable for cultivation in the southern regions of Russia. Used in group plantings on lawns or for curb plantings along paths.
Ashen hydrangea is a erect shrub with downy shoots up to 2 meters high. Leaves up to 15 cm long, round or heart-shaped. The top of the sheet plate is bright green, the downy bottom is gray. Shield-shaped inflorescences reach 15 cm in diameter. It blooms from mid-summer to September.
The view is warm and moisture-loving. Not too picky about soil composition. It has an average frost resistance, but even if it freezes, the spring quickly recovers and blooms on young shoots. It is recommended to cover for the winter.
Suitable for cultivation in the south of Russia. Effectively looks as a hedge and in group landings. Dried flowers are used for dry bouquets.
The serrate hydrangea is a tree shrub up to 1.5 meters high. Shoots pubescent or naked. Ovate, pubescent leaves are green in color.
Spherical inflorescences have white and blue flowers, small in the middle and larger at the edges.
Color varies depending on the acidity of the soil. Flowering lasts from July to September.
This species likes moderate watering.. Not too demanding to care, rarely affected by pests and diseases. It has an average resistance to frost. In the winter it is better to cover with spruce leaves or dry foliage.
Sargent Hortensia is distinguished by large pubescent leaves up to 25 cm long. They are round or heart-shaped in shape. Shoots - thick and bristly. The inflorescences of this species are corymbose, consist of pale purple fruit-bearing flowers and white sterile, located at the edges.
Hortensia Sargent needs a well-lit area and moist soil. In winter, its entire elevated part freezes out, but in spring the shoots grow to a height of 1 meter and bloom in July. In winter, all the shoots are cut off, and the root system is covered with spruce leaves or fallen leaves.
Recommended for cultivation in the southern regions of Russia.
What types and varieties are easiest to grow in the garden or in the country
The criteria for the simplicity of growing a certain type of hydrangea are its frost resistance, care preferences, requirements for soil, irrigation, and light.
The most suitable species for Russia are the Hydrangea Paniculata and Hydrangea Treelike. They are hardy enough, rarely freeze slightly and not too demanding to care. Even with minimal time and effort it is possible to grow lush and beautiful flowering bushes.
Large-leaved hydrangea is less cold-resistant, more demanding on soil composition and irrigation. It is recommended rather for tub and pot growing.
Other types of hydrangeas also require a lot of attention and create certain conditions for their successful growth.
How to locate hydrangeas with each other
For planting hydrangea, a hole is dug, measuring 40x60 cm. Its depth varies from 35 to 70 cm, depending on the size of the seedling. To get a free hedge, you need to dig a meter strip.
The distance between adult specimens should be 1.5-2.5 meters.. To get a flower "bouquet" early, the fossa is marked out after 0.7-1 meters, and after a few years the group is thinned.
Knowing the characteristics of each species and variety, you can choose the best option for your garden. And then the luxurious hydrangea will surprise you with the pomp of foliage and the bright riot of hats-inflorescences!
In the article, you learned what types and varieties of hydrangeas are suitable for growing in Russian gardens. About the care of hydrangeas in the garden can be found here.
Varieties of hydrangeas grown in Russian gardens
- Anabel is the most common of the varieties of tree hydrangea. He withdrawn a long time ago. The bush grows small and compact, its height is about one and a half meters. The crown is sprawling and has the shape of a dome, reaches a diameter of 3 m. The stem is bare gray. The leaves are very large, up to 30 cm in length, of a bright saturated green color with a finely toothed margin. Before frost foliage retains its color. White flowers rounded about 2 cm in size, grouped into inflorescences-balls with a diameter of up to 30 cm. Flowering period from early summer to September. The bush is characterized by rapid growth of up to 10 cm per year. Frost-resistant Prefers lightly shaded areas.
- Grandiflora - a magnificent shrub of a tree hydrangea with a spherical crown, up to 2 m high and up to 3 m in diameter. Green leaves ovate to 10 cm. Blooms with coryate inflorescences of small flowers. For the entire period of flowering from July to September, the color of the flowers changes several times. At first they are light green, then they turn white, and by the end they get a cream shade. Growth per year is up to 30 cm. The plant prefers sunny places with small penumbra. Grandiflora loves moist soil and does not tolerate drought. Moderately frost-resistant grade.
- Shrub tree variety hydrangea Sterilis has a rounded shape, reaches a height of 2-3 m. The foliage is green from above and has a bluish tinge from the bottom. The leaves have small notches and are up to 20 cm long. Its annual growth is about 20 cm. The dense inflorescences are in the shape of a hemisphere about 25 cm in size. The bush blossoms with sterile light green flowers, which turn white with time. The plant prefers well-drained fertile soils, sunny areas with small penumbra. Winter hardiness varieties average.
- Kyushu - grade paniculate hydrangea. The bush has a fan-shaped crown with a size of up to 3 m and grows up to 2.5-3 m. The stems are painted in red-brown color. Leaves, pubescent rich green on red petioles, have an ovoid shape. White flowers are collected in a wide panicle 15-25 cm long. Sterile flowers up to 2-3 cm consist of 4 white petals, which later turn pink. Honey shrub. The plant does not tolerate stagnant moisture in the soil and strong dry winds. The variety is fast-growing, prefers partial shade. Frost resistance is good to -25 degrees.
How to distinguish between types and varieties of hydrangeas?
In fact, it is quite difficult to do. Identify the species should be at the time of flowering, when you can evaluate all parts of the bush. Paying attention to the structure of the inflorescences, the ratio of sterile and fertile flowers, color, shape and hair pubescence, the degree of lignification of the stems, you can correctly determine the type of shrub and correctly pick up agrotechnical techniques.
Positive qualities of hydrangea:
- due to the large species and varietal diversity, you can choose the most suitable shrub for your conditions,
- many different types allow the plant to be used as a hedge, in mixborders and flower gardens of various types,
- hydrangeas are fairly resistant to pests and diseases,
- after damage the plant is quickly restored,
- can grow on soils different in fertility, tolerates close bedding of groundwater, likes acidified soils,
- long flowering period
- collected inflorescences can be used in the compositions of dried flowers,
- decoctions and tinctures of leaves and hydrangea root have healing properties.
Unfortunately, not all types of this beautiful shrub tolerate cold and can be grown in Russia. When the content of hydrangeas, you must strictly follow the rules of care, and then this beauty will delight you with elegant blooms.
History of origin
The origin of the name of the hydrangea is associated with a French physician and naturalist Commerson, who discovered an unknown plant of extraordinary beauty in an Asian country and named it after her beloved Hortense Barreau, who traveled with him, disguised as a man, although there are other versions.
Согласно буддийской легенде, в день, когда родился Будда, с неба посыпались красивые цветы и полился сладкий нектар «Амача». До сегодняшних дней в буддийских храмах, прославляя Будду, используют чай из листьев гортензии и считают его магическим ритуальным напитком.
На языке цветов гортензия символизирует непреклонность, холодность и равнодушие.
The botanical name of the shrub is Hindragea (Hydrangea), which translated means “vessel with water”, in Japan it is called Audisay - “yearning for water”. In the world there are more than 80 types of hydrangeas.
Hortensia is a perennial deciduous, ornamental shrub, reaching a height of 2-3 meters, with numerous flowers collected in large inflorescences. Can grow as a small tree or creeper.
Hydrangea flowers are formed in the form of a ball (brush) or panicles. The natural color of the shrub flowers is white. Breeders brought the hydrangea with different colors.
In the East, hydrangea is often called "fashionistas" for their ability to change color. Unfortunately, it does not have a rich flavor. For a long time it was grown only as a home potted plant.
For all hydrangeas, regardless of the species, there are general rules for growing.
- Hortensia likes well-lit places, but without exposure to direct sunlight, especially in the middle of the day. In the bright sun, the inflorescences lose their elasticity, and in the shade they become smaller.
- The soil is a nutrient clay soil, possibly close to the groundwater.
- The soil must have an acid reaction, hydrangea does not tolerate alkaline soils, otherwise chlorosis will develop.
- Water the plant in the morning or evening with warm water at the rate of 30-40 liters per bush.
- Weeding and loosening to a depth of at least 5 cm is necessary.
- Top dressing is carried out 2 times a year before and after flowering.
- In the spring and autumn, sanitary pruning of damaged and frozen branches is necessary.
Important! Large-leaved hydrangea can not be cut off, because it blooms on the tops of the shoots.
In winter, the plant is wrapped with garden covering material.
Russia is a huge territory with different climatic conditions, soil composition, humidity and temperature conditions. Choosing varieties is necessary to consider.
- Central region, including Moscow region
- South Region
- Northwest and Leningrad region
- Far East
Certain varieties are recommended for each of them.
- Tree - all varieties
- Paniculata - all varieties
- Large-leaved: only new frost-resistant varieties: Ever Peppermint, Red Sensation, Expression, Endless Summer, Romans
- Chereshkovaya - requires removal from the trellis for the winter, but as a groundcover, ceases to bloom, so it is not recommended
- Variegated or raznoupushennaya
- Tree: Annabelle, Strong Annabelle, Pink Annabelle Invincibelle
- Pancake: Kyushu, Unique, Dart’s Little Dot, Vanille Fraise, Pinky Winky, Phantom
- Hortensia Bretschneider
- Large leaf
- Hortensia Sargent.
- Pancake: Kyushu, Vanille Fraise, Unique, Dart’s Little Dot
- Tree: Annabelle, Strong Annabelle
- Sawed (with shelter) Blue Bird, Spreading Beauty
- Paniculata: Kyushu, Vanille Fraise, Pinky Winky, Phantom, Magical Flame.
- Tree: Annabelle, Strong Annabelle.
- Large Leaf: Red Sensation, Early Sensation, Japanese, Fireworks Pink, Endless Summer
- Variegated or raznoupushennaya
Ural and Siberia
All varieties have winter hardiness, "keep" the temperature to 25-30 degrees of frost, are well restored after frosting, abundant bloom. Recommended varieties of tree and panicle hydrangea. It is better to use seedlings grown in the area. For these regions dwarf varieties may be suitable. For the conditions of these areas, the slightly popular Bretschneider variety is suitable.
In the harsh climate of the Urals and Siberia, bushes require special shelters in the form of frames.
Dart’s Little Dot
Large Leaf Hydrangea
This is one of the most beautiful plant species. Blossoms large spherical inflorescences, different colors depending on the acidity of the soil. Demanding to care, grows better in partial shade, freezes, requires shelter, winter-hardy varieties are bred. It is better to grow in containers to bring into the house for the winter.
The leaves are like oak leaves. Blooms white spiciform inflorescences. Appreciated for the color and shape of the leaves (see photo). Loves sunny areas, good at landscape design. In the middle zone of Russia freezes. Top varieties: Snow-white domes, Show Queen
This variety is a liana and grows up to 25 meters. With the help of aerial roots clings to the supports and braids the walls of the house, arches and gazebos. Flowers from white to lilac shades (see photo). Prefers a shadow. For the winter is removed and covered with non-woven material. Listed in the Red Book.
Northwest region and Leningrad region
One of the best options, according to gardeners, for these regions is the hydrangea paniculata. Such varieties as Lime Light and Grandiflora are especially well and magnificently blooming. The Polar Bear variety showed itself well. Varieties unpretentious and winter-hardy.
The tree in these areas freezes and stops blooming, so it requires shelter. Also with shelter you can plant a serrate hydrangea. Large-leaf view requires a lot of strength and then, if the seedling is bought in a nursery. The advantage of this region is the acidic soil that hydrangea loves very much.
Top Varieties: Grandiflora, Polar Bear, Far East
The Far East is the birthplace of hydrangea. The most common species in this region are paniculate and tree hydrangea. They do not require much attention and perfectly tolerate the climate of Primorye.
In this region, the variegated hydrangea grows well, which is found in the wild in the forests of the Far East. Climatic conditions are also suitable for petiolian hydrangea. Gardeners in the winter leave it in a permanent place, because she does not freeze over.
Recently, Russian gardeners have increased interest in growing hydrangeas, especially since many new varieties have appeared.
This species is also called ground cover, Bretshneider hydrangea or Himalayan. The plant possesses strong stiff shoots, milky white kalinasnym inflorescences and elongated ovate leaves. The shoots have a reddish tint and have hairs of exfoliated bark.
By autumn, flowers turn pink-magenta. The shade is shade tolerant, frost resistant and can tolerate dry time. It reaches a height of 3 m. Cut inflorescences look beautiful in dried flowers.
Existing types and varieties of garden hydrangeas are able to satisfy the most demanding and exacting demands, since there are a lot of them. The main feature and pride of shrubs - unusual globular volumetric inflorescences and rich green leaves.
The following plants are considered the easiest to care for:
Types and varieties of hydrangeas
Also among the Russian gardeners are the types of petiolate and oak-leaved.
Type Paniculata: varieties
This hydrangea shrub species and varieties for Russian gardens are familiar and in demand, so the plant can be seen on numerous suburban and suburban areas.
General information is as follows:
- tree height does not exceed 10 m,
- in 90% of cases it can be seen on the territory of Sakhalin (in other regions of the Russian Federation it is practically not grown)
- wild species can be found on the forest edges,
- elongated sheet plate (ellipse shape),
- leaf length - 10-12 cm,
- on the leaves there is a small down (upper side) and strong pubescence below,
- flowers form large panicles.
Flowers have a pleasant aroma, the view is considered an excellent honey plant.
It is necessary to pay attention to the fact that any paniculate variety grows quickly. That is why the main direction in the care - periodic pruning.
It is best to plant a plant in a shady place, protected from direct sunlight. This is due to the fact that under the influence of the rays of the inflorescence become smaller. Beautiful hydrangea bright and decorative, referring to paniculate mind, should be protected from the wind.
Type Paniculata Hydrangea
Features of flowering - flowers are formed in large quantities, the flowering period for such plants is long. The first copies appear in June. Duration - until October. The species, regardless of the variety, is resistant to frost, it can withstand low temperatures without diseases, reaching up to 25 degrees with a negative value. This species is suitable for cultivation in the central and northern parts of Russia.
Need to consider! In the northern regions it is recommended to plant the hydrangea with the onset of spring so that the root system can take root. In other regions where there are no prolonged frosts, the plant can be planted also in the autumn. The best breeding method is grafting.
Varieties that can be grown on the territory of Russia (they are suitable climatic conditions of most regions):
- Grandiflora is a feature of the variety: the flowers are large, changing shade from cream to white and greenish-red, depending on the season. The main flowering period comes later than in 90% of plant varieties, the flowers are sterile,
- Kiushi - variety resistant to frost. Flowers have a white (interspersed) shade, smell good. Variety is different in that part of the flowers is sterile, part is fruit-bearing. The main flowering period is July-October. Actively grown in the Moscow region.
- Pinky Winky - perennial shrub, flowers form cones. The color changes over time from white to pink,
- Limlite is a variety with prominent, large and bright inflorescences. The shrub has well-formed stems that grow strictly straight. The height of the adult bush is small - 2 meters, which allows planting anywhere on the site - there will be no strong shade from the plant. The leaves are green, medium size, velvety. Flowers form panicles, the length reaches 0.5 meters. Flowers change their shade from greenish to white and cream during the flowering period (the main peak is in the middle of summer).
Beautiful hydrangea suitable for growing in Russia - Unique. This is a low shrub that grows very quickly. Active flowering occurs in August, continues until the cold. The variety is frost resistant, therefore ideal for planting throughout the country. Shades of flowers - from white to deep pink, during the flowering period. Ideal for landscape design, as it looks good both in groups and as a single plant.
Hydrangea garden or krupnolistnaya
The view is perennial. It shows winter hardiness. The decorative qualities of the shrub are high, so it is actively used to decorate gardens. The view is different in that the bushes reach a height of 2 meters, the stems are straight, fruiting is absent. This species includes hydrangea blue or lilac, as well as classic white.
Note! The shade of the plant depends on the condition of the shrub, as well as the acidic type of soil in which it will be planted.
Different species of hydrangeas of this species have simple green leaves. In the process of care, it is necessary to feed the shrubs, as they are demanding to the type of soil. The characteristic indicates that all the varieties in the group do not like limestone. Flowering shrubs lasts a long time. It is important to pay attention to the fact that the plant had enough light. Recommended for planting in the central and southern regions, because it loves heat. Frost resistance has a good indicator - up to -30 degrees. The hydrangea is ready to show flowers in full beauty from August to November.
Hydrangea garden or krupnolistnaya
Planting varieties (the whole territory of the country):
- Ekshreshon - winter-hardy variety, flowers terry, large. Shades vary and depend on the acidity of the soil (sour - blue-violet, alkaline - pink),
- Red Senseyshon - hybrid variety. This hydrangea is intensely maroon, including the stems. The height of the shrub is optimal for those who wish to create a light shadow, is only 0.8 meters,
- Endliss Summer - the variety blooms equally well on both the shoots of the current year and last year's stems. The flowers are large, blue in 90% of cases of color, less white. This name indicates a long flowering.
It is recommended to cover planted plants for the winter so that they can withstand severe frosts. Each hydrangea, a detailed description of the variety indicates this is a good option for landscape design.
Shrub reaches 2 meters. Red shoots. The leaves are similar to those of the oak, so the plant and received a specific name. The flowers are white in color, are collected in inflorescences - panicles.
The main flowering period is June-September. The soil should be without lime. In central Russia, young shrubs can freeze, adults get frost resistance. The view is suitable for planting in the southern regions, so the Urals or Siberia rarely uses this species (about 20% of all landings, according to statistics). Feature - it is necessary to carry out pruning 2 times a year: during the spring and autumn agrotechnical care.
The main condition for planting a hydrangea bush on its own plot is fertilized soil (planting in open ground) and protection from frost. Optimal conditions for the development of the plant - a half-shaded garden zone. It is recommended to conduct high-quality drainage. When planting, subsequent maintenance of hydrangea, it is necessary to determine the composition of the soil, since it is possible not to add mineral fertilizers to it in large quantities. It is believed that the best shrub that looks like a hydrangea and is part of this family grows on loose, acidic soil with indicators of acid balance 5-6. A mandatory element of fertilizer is peat.
If Russia is the country for planting, then it is important to take into account the region: in the south - protection from the cold is not as active as in the central or northern. Particular attention should be paid to the fact that all varieties and species do not like calcium, so you need to use fertilizers and mixtures without this substance.
If the soil is too alkaline, or if lime gets into it, the disease can develop in the bush. In most hydrangeas are demanding of moisture - prefer abundant watering. If the planting was made in the southern regions, or there is a hot weather, then watering is carried out daily 1-2 times.
It is necessary to carry out the mulching of the soil under the hydrangea bushes - this agrotechnical technique is important to maintain the required amount of moisture, optimal indicators of friability. Repeat the mulching is necessary during the autumn work (to prepare for the winter), as protection is required for the root system.
Abundant flowering is achieved through regular feeding. In the spring, after the pruning, nitrogen fertilizers are applied to the soil. In early summer, the plants are fed complex fertilizer, which should not contain calcium and chlorine. During the formation of buds, phosphate and potash fertilizers are applied, and at the end of summer - potassium sulfate. It is recommended to use manure extracts with superphosphate (top dressing).
Any hydrangeas bush requires pruning so that you can shape its appearance, regulate the growth processes and the height of the plant. Spring pruning - April-May, autumn - September-October. Without this agrotechnical stage, the bushes quickly grow, the site becomes thick, the flowering abundance decreases. It is recommended for the winter to clean the plants in the greenhouse or basement to protect against severe frosts.
The advantages and disadvantages of growing
The choice of hydrangea as a plant for planting on your site should be weighted. It is necessary to take into account the negative and positive sides.
- variety of varieties and species
- color variety (hydrangea white or yellow, gray shade or purple),
- growing fast
- special complex care is not required, but compliance with the recommendations is necessary,
- many varieties are frost resistant,
- long flowering period.
There are also disadvantages:
- fast thickening without pruning,
- the need for abundant watering,
- bushes high.
Since the leaves and flowers of hydrangea are large enough, the bushes are used as a green hedge.
If the indoor version of the garden is familiar, in the suburban area all the varieties of flowers are planted, but you want something unusual, then the hydrangea white, pink or a mix of several shades will be a real boon for florists. Many on the sites planted lilac, which forms a natural hedge, but the hydrangea purple or its purple hue will look just as advantageous. You need to get permission to land, if the wires are low, to carry out timely pruning to maintain the optimum height of the shrubs. Difficulties in agricultural technology does not arise even for beginner gardeners, as the plant as a whole is unpretentious to the conditions existing in the region.
Adding an article to a new collection
Hydrangea is tree-like, oak-leaved, paniculate, large-leaved. Breeders around the world have created a huge number of varieties of various types of hydrangea, but in the open field in the middle zone take root, not all. Which varieties are better to choose?
Hydrangea, also known as "hydrangea"(" Hydrangea "), is an excellent garden aristocrat who conquers flower growers with abundant and long flowering. Inflorescences can be spherical and hemispherical, pyramidal and flat. Of all the species of this plant, only deciduous bushes are spread in the middle lane, including those liana-shaped , and trees up to 2 m.