Is it possible to grow cucumbers on the windowsill all year round? Alas, the break will have to be done, but only if there is no desire to bother with fluorescent or helium lighting. The last days of February, when daylight starts to increase gradually - it's time for planting cucumbers.
Cucumber is a fairly shade-tolerant plant, but on the windowsill it is still not enough light for it, especially in the spring-autumn period. That is why it is necessary to grow cucumbers only on the southern or southeast windows. The plant does not like drafts, take care that there are no gaps in the window frames.
It makes sense to grow cucumbers on the windowsill only if the temperature in the apartment does not fall below 20 degrees. This heat-loving plant stops growing at temperatures below 16 degrees.
Cucumber loves high humidity, in winter it will not be very easy to provide such conditions, it will be necessary to cover household heating with wet towels. A simple spraying of the leaves in this case will not help.
If you are able to arrange suitable conditions for the plant, then you can easily grow cucumbers at home on the windowsill. From one bush on average, it will be possible to collect from 10 to 15 good average cucumbers.
Varieties and seed preparation
In order to grow cucumbers on a windowsill, parthenocarpic hybrids or self-pollinated varieties are needed. Unless, of course, you want to pollinate them yourself. With the wrong choice of variety, pollinated ovaries of cucumbers will turn yellow and fall off. Recommended varieties: F1 Window-balcony, F1 Gift of the East, F1 Catherine, F1 Marathon, F1 Faust and many others.
If you are going to grow cucumbers for the first time, then it is best to purchase seeds of shade-tolerant and not afraid of temperature varieties.
Germination will require cotton fabric or cotton pads. We moisturize them and place them on a saucer, top it with cucumber seeds. Do not let the fabric dry. After literally a couple of days, the seeds will spill. Everything, they can be planted in the previously prepared soil about a centimeter deep.
What is better to grow cucumbers on the windowsill
The cucumbers are rather freedom-loving, so the pot for growing them should be big enough. One plant will need a five-liter vessel. This may be a simple flower pot, even better - a homemade box in which several bushes will fit perfectly. The most economical way is to take five-liter water bottles and cut off the upper part of them together with the neck. As an option - double plastic bags. Just do not forget that whatever container you choose, you must make holes in its bottom to drain excess water.
What soil should be grown cucumbers on the windowsill
Novice gardeners will be easier to buy ready-made soil in the store. Those who have a desire to cook it yourself can offer several options:
- Mix 4 parts of the garden land, 1 part of humus and 1 part of peat. At 5 liters of the mixture, add 100 grams of ash, a teaspoon of magnesium sulphate and a tablespoon of “full” fertilizer.
- Mix 2 parts of the garden soil, humus, peat and one part of the sawdust. On 5 liters of soil add 100 grams of ash, a teaspoon of magnesium sulphate and a tablespoon of fertilizer "full".
- In equal proportions mix biohumus and garden soil, add 5 tablespoons of wood ash for every 5 liters of land.
In principle, it is possible to grow cucumbers on the windowsill in any soil, without a crop there will be no one left, just a harvest in the correctly selected land, which is quite natural, will be much higher. Well, fertilize the unprepared soil anyway.
How to plant cucumbers on the windowsill
In addition to the soil and containers for planting, you will need twine for future support cucumbers and glass or plastic caps to cover the seedlings.
- We fill the pot with 3-4 cm of soil below the edges. We spread the germinated (if not - dry or wetted) seeds in the amount of 3 pieces at a distance of about two cm from each other. Sprinkle them with earth.
- Seedlings water well, let the water soak.
- To create the greenhouse effect we cover the seedlings with a plastic or glass container. We remove the pots in the warmest place in the apartment. Most often it is the top of the cabinets in the kitchen. After the emergence of sprouts "greenhouses" are removed, and the pots are located on a permanent stay in the southern or southeastern windowsills.
- When these leaves are formed, choose the most powerful and beautiful plant, remove the rest.
How to grow cucumbers on the windowsill
Prepare in advance a support for cucumbers. It can be either a twine or a thick kapron thread, or a long peg, to which cucumber lashes will need to be tied up. In the case of a peg, all the mustache appearing on the cucumber must be removed.
After the appearance of 5-6 internodes, the cucumber should be pinched. Side shoots also pinch over the second leaf.
Grow cucumbers on the windowsill without dressing is a waste of time. Every two weeks, and with the appearance of cucumbers and once every 10 days, it is necessary to feed. 1 tsp can be applied to the topsoil "Agrolife" or water diluted in two liters of water with a cap "growth". You can just pour fresh biohumus once a month.
For growing cucumbers in the winter at home, the seeds must meet stringent requirements. Home cucumber should be:
- Short-fruited, with a length of green leaves from 6 cm to 25 cm.
- Shade-tolerantnot afraid of temperature changes.
- Early or mid-season, with a fruiting period of 4 to 6 months.
Preference is given to parthenocarpic F1 hybrids. These self-pollinating plants have only female flowers. For the cultivation of cucumbers at home the most popular early and ultra early:
From the mid-early varieties of cucumbers for growing houses are preferable:
Bee pollinated cucumber hybrids, for indoor and greenhouse cultivation, require manual pollination.
The process requires certain skills and additional time.
But despite this, growers are grown at home bee pollinated cucumber hybrids:
Grow and bee pollinated cucumber varieties:
Female single flowers grow separately. Male form groups in the axils of the leaves.
Pollinating cucumbers continue the entire period of flowering, until the first ovaries appear. To increase the yield of cucumbers experienced amateurs advise pollinating female flowers with different types of pollen.
Choosing a place
Growing cucumbers in the apartment is better on warm light balconies, loggias, verandas, windows oriented to the south, east, west.
The north side is not suitable for growing. Indoors should not be drafts.
Timing depend on the selected cucumber varietygrowing conditions. Take into account the area of the room, the ability to provide the optimum temperature and light, air humidity, climate zone.
To the New Year's table ripen cucumbers planted in late October. From January plantings begin to harvest in March. The average time of onset of fruiting from the appearance of the first shoots is 40-50 days. The February saplings are ripening for the May holidays.
In the store buy universal soil or mixture for growing pumpkin crops.
Independently prepared according to proven recipes:
- Equal shares of peat, humus. A glass of wood ash on the bucket mix.
- 1/3 part of turf, garden land, compost with the addition of a small amount of river calcined sand, ash, rotten sawdust.
Earth is disinfected in one of the ways:
- Spill hot (+ 90 ° C) solution of dark pink manganic acid potassium.
- Warm up in the oven.
- Process special industrial preparations.
- Nitrofosku or bring a full complex fertilizer. They are poured in containers, they are plentifully spilled, they are left for a day for compaction.
- Cucumber Seeds pickle 20-30 minutes in a weak solution of potassium permanganate. Washed. Dried. Leave for 2-3 days for swelling in a saucer with warm water, wrapped in a damp gauze, spread on cotton pads. Read more about seed preparation before planting.
- Crouched Cucumber Seeds sown to a depth of about a centimeter. Plant 1-2 seeds in a volume of one liter at a distance of 2-3 cm from each other. Watered.
- Expose to a bright place. Maintain a temperature of + 22-25 ° C during the day, + 16-18 ° C at night.
- To maintain the necessary moisture covered with foil, glass.
- At emergence of shoots of cucumbers shelter is removed. Remove the weak sprout. Begin to light the lights.
It is impossible to grow cucumbers in winter at home without lighting. Light day should last 12-14 hours. In the central zone of Russia, in the Urals, in Siberia, from December to February, luminescence is carried out from 16 to 20 hours.
Lighting devices for lighting (energy-saving, fluorescent, LED) are fixed at a distance of 30-40 cm.
To enhance the effect, light-reflecting sheets of foil and mirrors are installed.
Until the plants form lashes, the temperature is maintained. not higher than + 16 ° С. After the formation of lashes, the temperature on sunny days is maintained at + 24-26 ° С, in case of cloudy weather and at night + 18-20 ° С.
Watered on a sunny day every day, on a cloudy day every other day.. Water must be defended, brought to room temperature. Several times during the season, they watered with a weak pinkish solution of potassium permanganate.
It is useful to spray the plants twice a day, but the leaves should dry out by night. Watering cucumbers spend under the root or pour water into the trays.
Home-grown whips reach a height of two meters and require garters. The garter is made using a sliding loop. Use twine or nylon cord.
Forming a bush
After the appearance of the fifth true leaf, pinch the top to form a bush in two stems. When the next five leaves grow back, the procedure is repeated.
Pinching of the side lashes is carried out in the side lower nodes above the 1-2-3 leaf.
The first dressing spend after the appearance of two true leaves. Feed a solution of 3-4 g nitrophoska per liter of water. The consumption rate per plant is a glass.
Can be used solution of one teaspoon of urea in 5 liters of water. Feed once every 2 weeks.
With the advent of Zelentsov, the plant is fed every week, alternating between mineral and organic fertilizers. As organic additives use 20% solutions of chicken manure or superphosphate. For minerals, 30-40 g of nitrophosphate are dissolved in a bucket of water, a teaspoon of Agrolife or 2 caps of the Growth preparation are added with the watering.
Alternatively, after a week spend feeding of cucumbers with biohumus means. Twice sprayed bushes with a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
Cucumbers grown in the apartment suffer from spider mites and whiteflies. Spraying with soapy water helps, it is dangerous to use insecticides in the apartment.
Zelentsy collected every day, not allowing them to grow. This contributes to the formation of new ovaries, eases the load on the lash, prevents depletion of the plant, the deterioration of the taste of cucumbers.
Features of greenhouse farming
- Stop picking on greenhouse varieties cucumbers.
- When planting seedlings, be sure to bring into the well at least a bucket of well-rotted compost or manure, with the addition of 10 g of phosphorus, 5 g of nitrogen, 15 g of potassium per 1 m².
- When landing have the seedlings of cucumbers at a distance of 40 cm from each otherleaving the meter between the rows. Abundantly watered.
- Equip lanes, supports.
- Shrub cucumbers form as when grown at home.
- Remove yellowed and deformed leaves..
- First feed after 4 weeks. Each plant consumes 1-2 liters of a 0.3% aqueous phosphorus-potassium solution. During the fruiting period, fertilizing is carried out every week.
- At optimum air temperature, watering is carried out at the rate of 2-3 liters of water per bush.
Disease Prevention and Control
- Should change soil every year. Develop a useful microflora. Introduce drugs such as Fitosporin M, rotted manure, nettle infusion.
- Observe ventilation mode.
- To combat spider mite, whitefly, ants, the soil is disinfected. Once every 5 days spray bushes karbofosom.
- Dill, mustard, coriander, garlic, basil, tobacco are planted between rows. They scare away the pests of cucumbers.
- Aphids and whitefly are washed off with a stream of cold water. Wipe cucumber leaves with soapy water.
- Insulate the floor and walls. insulating materials.
- Install heaters, heat and lighting devices. As lamps most suitable arc mercury lamps or incandescent lamps. For convenience, use a time relay.
- Organize a ventilation system.
- Choose a growing medium: hydroponics or soil.
- Soil requirements are the same as for growing cucumbers at home and in greenhouses.
Features of growing
- Cultivate rassadny way.
- Cucumber seedlings planted at any time of year.
- Comply with the general requirements of farming cucumbers.
- To combat insects, rodents, they change dust, smoke bombs, poison bait traps, special paints with insecticides.
- From fungal diseases, mold, moss ground walls with anti-fungal formulations.
The advantages and disadvantages of basement cultivation
The undoubted advantages include high yields, pickling cucumbers regardless of the season, weather conditions. The shortened period from the emergence of seedlings of cucumbers to harvest. Two months after the disembarkation of the seedlings, the first greens ripen.
The main disadvantage is the high cost of cucumbers.
Is it possible to grow cucumbers in winter at home? If desired, grow cucumbers all year round. From home-grown bush enthusiasts get 35-40 pieces of cucumbers.
How to grow cucumbers at home?
In winter, the price of cucumbers in the store is actually high, but it is not always a good quality product.
Therefore, if you decide to have fresh vegetables on your table in winter, then you need to start growing cucumbers on the windowsill.
How to start growing cucumbers on the window?
For starters, there must be patience and desire, and then you must do the following:
- choose seed
- choose a windowsill
- make window insulation,
- prepare the soil and tare
- prepare and plant the seeds of the desired variety,
- organize all the necessary conditions for the development and growth of bushes,
- we harvest the first crop, enjoy cucumbers.
In order to grow room cucumbers from the first, you need to get acquainted with some literature, or read the recommendations and advice of experienced gardeners. Basic facts about the cultivation of cucumbers:
- cucumbers of any kind have a root system that is close to surface of the earth. It is for this reason that cucumber bushes are advised cover with mulch. This applies to plants that grow not only in the garden in the summer, but also those that are grown in the winter time at home on the windowsill,
- all varieties are thermophilic. The plant does not like drafts, does not tolerate strong heat, but is in need of moisture. In order to receive fruits from the bushes that grow on the window sill in the apartment, it is necessary to organize conditions close to the natural environment,
- to make fruit at home, the plant requires daylight. For a full growing season, it needs about 10 hours of light per day. Since winter days are fairly short, it is necessary to install fluorescent lamps, which must be turned on above the bushes. They will be able to provide the seedlings with full coverage, as a result of which the fruits will not acquire an ugly shape, and the bush will be pulled upwards,
- if you often harvest from cucumber bushes, they will be better to bear fruit.
Growing cucumbers on the windowsill: the choice of seeds
It should be noted that not all varieties of cucumbers can be grown in an apartment. Therefore, buying seeds in a store, you need to tell the seller about it.
Experts advise to pay attention to self-pollinated hybrids, packages with seeds which are indicated by marking F1. They easily tolerate changes in temperature and lack of sunlight. Hybrid varieties are characterized by the presence of many flowers of the female, thereby facilitating the cultivation and increases the yield.
The most popular hybrid varieties of cucumbers for growing in the apartment, it is: Ant, Zozulya, Masha, Miracle on the window, Prestige, etc. Moreover, it is necessary to note the Brownie Kuzya variety.
Cotton seeds or cotton cloths are required to germinate the seeds. The selected material must be thoroughly moistened, placing on a plate, and pour the seeds of cucumbers on top. Do not allow the fabric to be dry.
If the room is quite warm, then after a few days, the seeds may already be projected. That's when the planting stock can be planted in pre-prepared soil. Growing seedlings at home takes a little time.
What to plant cucumbers and where to place?
For the development and growth of bushes suitable south side of the house. If there are windows that overlook the south side, then it is on these window-sills that the seedlings, and then the cucumbers, must grow.
If there is not a single window in your house on the south side, then you shouldn’t get upset, because the west or east side can successfully replace it. But the northern side should be avoided, because even seedlings cannot grow normally here.
When the cucumbers begin to splash and grow, they will occupy almost the main part of the window. In this case, it is very important to have a wide window sill.
In order to create natural conditions for cucumbers, they need to be planted not quite close to each other. For this the pot should be pretty big. For this purpose, a homemade box is well suited, where you can plant not several bushes, but at the same time 3-4 pairs. You can also use a five-liter tank out of the water - they need to cut the upper part with a neck.
In any container that you would not use for planting, it is necessary to make holes for good ventilation of the root system and runoff of excess water.
How to plant cucumbers on the windowsill: soil preparation
For the cultivation of these vegetables in the apartment will need good drainage, nutritious and loose soil. Land can be purchased at any specialty store - you need a special soil for seedlings. However, it can be done with your own hands, for which it will be necessary:
- garden land
- mineral fertilizers,
- wood ash.
To prepare a high-quality mixture, you must take in equal quantities: land, humus and peat. Add ash and coarse sand to this mixture. Ash is required by the soil in order to reduce its acidity. All the ingredients are well mixed, and then you need to add mineral bait, in the ratio of two matchboxes to the bucket of the mixture obtained.
The land that you made must be sanitized.. This minimizes the possibility of developing bacterial diseases. This procedure can be performed in several ways:
- pour manganese solution
- calcined in the oven.
At the bottom of the tank, where cucumbers will grow on the window in winter, the drainage layer is laid out evenly. Small pieces of brick, expanded clay or small pebbles will do. It must be recalled that the entire bottom of the tank must be evenly distributed with the holes.
Seed preparation for planting
In order to select the best quality seeds from the pack, it is necessary to pour them into the prepared pre-salted water (0.5 tsp per 200 ml of water). Seeds that float on the surface are defective and not suitable for growing.
Then seeds need to soak in a solution of manganese. It takes a little time - about half an hour. After that, the seeds need to be washed and put on a damp cloth.
Taking into account the temperature, the seeds begin to spit after a few days. After they are laid in a container with specially prepared soil and covered with a layer of soil a few centimeters, planting occurs. Glass or plastic wrap cover containers with planted seeds, set in a warm place where the temperature may be within 25 degrees. Here and expect sprouting.
When the first shoots begin to appear in the container, the protective glass or film is removed, and the box with the seedlings is placed on the window sill, where the temperature should not be lower than 20 degrees.
When 4-5 true leaves are formed on a seedling, you need to pinch the top. This will enhance the development of lateral lashes, as well as provide an opportunity to develop the root system better.
It is necessary to organize additional lighting, for which you need to purchase several fluorescent lamps. It is simple that in winter time the daylight is rather short, and for normal development and growth of the bush, light and heat will be needed 10 hours a day.
Caring for cucumbers on the windowsill
To have a good crop of cucumbers at home, which are grown on the windowsill in winter, it is necessary to form a bush in time and correctly. What is required for:
- in time to cut off all lateral ovaries and shoots,
- make the first nip after the fifth sheet is formed,
- the second and the following tweaks should be performed after every sixth node,
- The stem of the bush must always be tied up.
Then, when the first time the pinch was done, you need to do the preparation of support. In the role of support, you can use several long pegs, which will tie the developing ovary. Or you can use ordinary twine or nylon thread, which at equal intervals will be tied to a window or wall.
The support must be at least 80 cm in height; it can be made higher. The most important thing is that it is stable and strong, but at the same time - light and comfortable. Just planted plant should be rotated around the axis 180 degrees at least once a day. The same procedure must be performed with seedlings.
To grow a smooth and beautiful bush, you need to regularly perform the above procedure. Since the plant with its stems and leaves stretches to the source of illumination, therefore, if the bush is not rotated, the stem will turn out to be crooked, and this will later affect the crop.
During the departure, in addition to the backup, the plant is required to provide continuous feeding - This is reflected in the longevity of the plant itself and on the harvest. Taking into account the chosen feeding of cucumbers on the windowsill, the frequency of its use will depend on:
- drug "Agrolife" - 1 tsp. on the top layer of soil,
- for irrigation use a solution of the drug "Growth": for 2 liters of water 1 cap,
- fresh biohumus is added to the box with plants once a month.
When the buds have formed on the bush, it is advised to use wood ash as a top dressing - 1 cup for 10 liters of water. Regardless of the variety of cucumbers.
It is necessary to cook and useful bait, which consists of 25 g of mineral fertilizer diluted in 10 liters of water. The consumption of this feeding for one bush is approximately 300-400 g, with an interval of once every 2 weeks. Experienced gardeners are advised to alternately apply mineral and organic fertilizer.
When the bush starts to produce fruit, it is necessary to remove the cucumbers in a timely manner, preventing them from sleeping. So, all the beneficial microelements will not go to the overripe fruit, but to the new one that is tied up or ripening.
The main tips are as follows:
- when the first shoots are formed, they must be provided mineral fertilizer weekly fertilizers,
- to prevent the drying of the earth, it must be watered, but little by little every day,
- if on a bush a large number of female flowers, their part must be cut off. This will allow the fetus to form more quickly, then the plant will not be depleted and overloaded,
- if for some reason the roots of the plant appeared above the ground, then add more soil to the container, sprinkle the appeared roots,
- need to consider that indoor cucumber plants will never be compact and small. They just do not have enough light and sun, and they are drawn out,
- if the room becomes very hot, the plants quickly react to it and shed both the leaves and the already established fruits,
- so that the earth does not dry out in a pot, you just need to take a container, a larger pot, where the plant is located, and add water to it. Since there is a hole in the planting pot, the bush in it will take as much moisture from the larger container as needed,
- cucumbers that are grown on the windowsill in the apartment in the winter, live only two months since the first harvest.
From this article, you learned about all the nuances regarding how to grow cucumbers on a windowsill.
Even if you are not a novice gardener, but just like fresh cucumbers all year round, then you definitely need to start doing this, as there are fresh cucumbers in the winter, which are grown on your garden bed, it is a pleasure.
When is it worth to work on planting cucumbers
It is possible to grow cucumbers on the balcony or windowsill all year round, and the result does not depend on the season. Determine the time when to sow the seeds, and plan the time of harvest can be in advance. For example:
- If you want crispy cucumbers for the New Year, then you need to plant, starting in mid-October,
- The bumpy babies sown in January are ready for March 8.
- From the moment the leaves form until the first harvest, it often takes about 45-50 days.
What sort of cucumber to choose for planting in the apartment?
Growing indoor cucumbers in the winter on the balcony is a little different from planting in open ground. You need to choose and buy only certain varieties of cucumbers:
- The farm-pollination can be done with a simple brush, transferring male stamens to female pistils. They have high taste qualities, and cucumbers with black “spines” grow about 10 cm. They are suitable for both salting and simple “raw” eating.
- Shchedryk-yield about 20 pieces of 12 cm each for 1 period of collection. It refers to the early ripening, since the ripening period is less than 1.5 months. On one ovary grows 5-8 fruits.
- Hrustik-cakes 1.5-2 months, self-pollinates, gives a generous harvest. On 1 ovary from 5 to 7 fruits.
Important! Feature-wide growth of the bush, so prepare more space, and support for the grown whips.
- Onega f1-self-pollinating hybrid. The first fruits can please already in the first week of the second month. Cucumbers in size just below average, but you can eat them in any form.
- Buyan. Matures 50 days after disembarkation. Of the minuses - the need for additional lighting in the winter.
- Emelya-resistant to cold, which gives it certain advantages. Originally intended for "raw" use, but cucumbers can be rolled up and salted.
- Ant-ripening 38-40 days, and it belongs to the parthenocarpic form, which means the elimination of manual pollination. Bear in mind that the bush grows heavily in width.
- Babylon - flowers are more often female, from 1 to 3 flowers in a node. Cucumber up to 28 cm long, and weighing 240 g. More often the ovary is formed by a bunch.
- Baba Masha- requires special care during the appearance of the ovaries. In one ovary 7 cucumbers, depends on the small size of the fruit, which have a dark skin and high tuberosity.
- Miraculously, the maximum length of the fruit is 8 cm, but, despite its miniature size, the baby cucumbers have a very pleasant taste. You can collect in 45 days after disembarkation.
How to process and germinate cucumber seeds
Sunflower seeds purchased at the store must undergo special treatment before sowing them, which consists of certain steps:
- Check for freshness and germination. For this, cucumber seeds are poured into a container and poured with a salted solution (half a teaspoon of salt per glass of water). Dummies that float, it is better to throw away, and full-weighted puzatkenie pass further.
- Disinfection - soak the sowing material in a weak solution of potassium permanganate for 20 minutes, then rinse them thoroughly.
- Sprouting-treated and washed seeds wrap in a wet cloth or napkin, put in a bowl, and leave in a warm place to germinate.
When the seeds are full, you can step over to the sowing. By the time it takes 2-3 days.
Preparing the soil for planting cucumbers
- The easiest will be to buy ready-made soil for cucumber seedlings. But it is safer to prepare the composition with your own hands: peat + humus + land from the garden (1/1/4).
- Sterilize the soil. For example, keep an hour in a water bath or hot oven. The simplest is to pour boiling water or a solution of potassium permanganate. This will help prevent the development of fungus and other parasites.
- Wait until it cools.
The algorithm for sowing seed cucumbers
Provided that all preparations are completed, you can proceed to the sowing. In order to enjoy the eye cucumber on the windowsill in winter, perform the following manipulations:
- In the center of the plastic cup, make a hole 1 cm deep.
- Put 1 seed in the well and sprinkle with a little soil.
- Place cups in a common deep tray, cover with cling film or glass.
- Before emergence, keep the tray in the dark and warm. The appearance of germs is a signal to that. that you need to move the tray to a bright place.
For rapid and effective development, it is necessary to create favorable conditions for seedlings:
- When the surface of the soil dries, pour it with settled, warm water. Sprinkle with a spray so as not to blur the roots.
- Add light to cloudy or nighttime. To do this, equip the place with special fitolamps and fluorescent lights.
- The optimum temperature is +15 +17 in the daytime, and at night +13 +15.
- To humidify the air, spray the plants with water from a spray bottle or periodically put wet towels on the batteries.
- Normally grow cucumbers in room conditions, even on a cool windowsill. To prevent chilling of roots, place the box on a piece of foam.
Transplanting Cucumber Seedlings
With the development of the root system, seedlings of cucumbers, as well as indoor tomatoes, require a larger area, therefore, when cucumbers will form 2 true leaves, they can be transplanted into pots for flowers of 4-5 l. Picks are best done in cloudy weather. The procedure is as follows:
- Fill the containers for planting to half with the substrate, initially lay drainage on the bottom.
- Water, make a hole.
- Carefully remove the seedlings and move them to the hole without disturbing the earthen room.
- Immersion is necessary up to the cotyledon leaves of the cucumber.
- After finishing, cover the plants for 2-3 days with thin paper or cloth to adapt.
Cucumber Shrub Molding
To grow a large and developed room cucumber, it is customary to form it into 1-2 large lashes, therefore all processes that develop to the sides on the central runaway must be pinned.
Already grown bushes better tie up. To do this, fit stretched on the window construction grid with large cells. By it, clinging to the antennae, whip will grow. Such a cucumber curtain will look fresh and spring-like.
Irrigation mode cucumber
- To stimulate flowering, watering is needed 2-3 times a week.
- As soon as the bush blooms, watering intensifies.
- The procedure is best done in the morning or late in the evening with water +28 +30 degrees.
- Waterlogging threatens with diseases, and the lack of moisture will cause the fruits to become bitter.
Top dressing of house cucumbers
- Top dressing of indoor cucumbers begins from the time when the first fruit ovaries appear on them. To 1 liter of hot water dissolve 100 g of wood ash. Water the soil.
- Dry yeast can significantly increase the yield of cucumbers. 100 g yeast + 2 tbsp sugar + 10 liters of water. Let it stand for a couple of hours, and then the starter is diluted with 50 liters of water. This composition should be watered around the seedlings.
Harvesting is simple. Ripe fruits do not perederzhivaye on the scourge, tear carefully, trying not to damage the stem. Curves, underdeveloped, damaged copies also delete.
As you can see the cultivation of cucumbers on the windowsill is quite a simple matter. If you have lifehacks or secrets of the procedure, be sure to share them in the comments.
Varieties of cucumbers for growing on the windowsill
Only parthenocarpic hybrids of early ripening with small lashes are suitable for growing cucumbers on the windowsill in winter. Spray cucumbers are also unacceptable, as they require a large area of food, which is impossible to provide on the windowsill.
Partenokarpiki are predominantly female or only female type of flowering and do not require pollination. Bee pollinated cucumbers are absolutely unsuitable for winter cultivation, and self-pollinating varieties require pollen to somehow fall on a pestle. Since in winter there are neither insects nor wind on the windowsill, it is necessary to carry out artificial pollination of each flower when growing such cucumbers.
Long-eyed cucumbers for growing on window sills are also not suitable. Scourge them 3 meters or more, and they have nowhere to develop. In addition, long-leafed cucumbers tend to grow longer and later become fruiting. With winter growing at home, it is necessary to get the harvest of greens as quickly as possible. This saves time and money.
In winter, on the windowsill, cucumbers can be grown for 3 terms.
- Sowing in December. Zelentsy appear to the beginning of February
- Sowing in January. Harvest get in late February and early March.
- When sown in February, the first cucumbers appear at the end of March.
But in reality, the best option for sowing are January and February. In December, for the normal development of cucumbers there is not enough light, and they will grow only with prolonged illumination.
At home, you can plant cucumbers in September-October, but with a diminishing daylight level, it is impossible to get a good harvest of green men.
To get a superearly harvest, cucumbers are planted on a windowsill in March-April, but this method is suitable for those who do not have a summer cottage, as well as those who grow early cucumbers for sale. Everyone else at this time sills are busy with other seedlings and there is no time for cucumbers.
What to grow cucumbers on the windowsill
Cucumbers in the apartment are grown only in a seedless way. Seeds are sown in prepared containers. Корневая система у культуры довольно слабая, но при посадке в общий рассадный ящик каждому растению необходима площадь питания как минимум 100 см 2 , а глубина не менее 15 см.
Поэтому в домашних условиях огурцы лучше выращивать в индивидуальных емкостях. Suitable for this large plastic cups of not less than 1 liter, plastic bottles, flower pots. At the bottom of the tank, a drainage hole is made to drain excess water.
For cucumbers in the initial period of growth suitable peat pots. When the plants grow, they, along with the pot, are placed in a larger container and covered with earth. With this method, the roots of a culture develop evenly, do not twist an earthen clod, and, therefore, do not suffer from a lack of nutrition and moisture.
For growing cucumbers, highly fertile, loose, water- and breathable soil mixtures with a reaction of 5.5-6.5 are needed. Plants can grow well on slightly acidic soils with a pH of 5.1-5.4, but the yield in this case decreases, albeit slightly.
Peat mixture is suitable for planting cucumbers, provided that this soil has a low acidity and sufficient humus content. In winter, if the land has not been prepared since autumn, cucumbers are grown on purchased soil mixtures with a peat content of not more than 50%.
If you can, you can cook the land yourself. Soil mixture is prepared from peat, humus and fine-grained river sand in a ratio of 3: 3: 1. Sand can be replaced by coconut flakes.
Coconut chips have a neutral reaction (pH 7.0), retains moisture very well, loosens the soil and passes air. To prepare the soil coconut chips pour water according to the instructions. After 1-2 minutes, the chips will begin to absorb moisture and swell. After 30-40 minutes the soil will be ready and it can be added to the soil mixture.
Cucumbers can be grown in pure coconut soil, but it is necessary to slightly acidify it before sowing seeds. For this, chips are soaked in a slightly pink solution of potassium permanganate.
To remove spores of diseases and wintering pests, the ground is frozen. Freezing is preferable to calcining, since at high temperatures the fertilizers introduced into the soil mixture decompose and remain at low temperatures. Land is taken out into the street or into a room with sub-zero temperatures and left for 5-7 days, then entered into the house. The earth should thaw out and warm up completely, then it is brought to the cold again. The procedure is repeated 3-4 times.
Fertilizers are applied to any independently prepared soil:
- ammonium nitrate or urea 1 tbsp. l / kg,
- superphosphate 1 tbsp / l,
- Kalimagneziya or potassium sulfate 3 tablespoons / kg.
You can apply liquid or solid complex fertilizers according to the instructions.
The soil before sowing necessarily warm. When the temperature of the earth is below 17 ° C, the seeds will not grow. To warm the ground in bags or boxes put on the battery and incubated for several days.
2-3 days before sowing, the soil is disinfected by spilling warm pink solution of potassium permanganate or Fitosporin. It is possible instead of Fitosporin to bring Trichodermin into the soil, but you cannot use them together, since these are different types of microflora, and they will only mutually destroy each other. If the soil is purchased and biopreparations have already been added to it, then it is not necessary to additionally disinfect it.
After soaking, you do not need to wait for the seeds to sting. A maximum of 48 hours they are dried and sown. Sprouted cucumber seeds (and pumpkin seeds in general) do not germinate well, since the root that appears (and it sprouts it) breaks off very easily when it is covered with earth. Damage to the sprout root means the death of the seed. It will be better if the seeds swell, but still do not germinate.
Sow cucumbers immediately in the container in which they will grow. The prepared warm earth is well spilled and 3-4 seeds are sown in each pot. Sprinkle them with a layer of 1.5-2 cm of dry earth. After sowing, the soil is not moistened, otherwise the seeds will go deep into the soil. The pots are covered with a film and put on the battery before germination.
As a rule, 1-2 cucumbers sprout in one pot. But even if everything germinates, it will be possible to choose the most powerful one, the rest will be cut off the ground.
Pour cucumbers only with distilled warm water (not below 20 ° C). Cold water in winter, especially with a lack of heat, can cause the dying off of the roots.
Cucumbers are very demanding of moisture. Watering is carried out as the soil dries. If the ground is wet to the touch, but does not leave marks on the hands - it is necessary to water it, if the hands get dirty - watering is not required. Drying has a detrimental effect on plants.
When growing cucumbers on the windowsill in the winter, they are watered in the morning or in the afternoon, but not in the evening. The largest amount of moisture culture evaporates in the morning. Therefore, in the evening watering in the morning there will be droplets of moisture on the leaves and the window, since the plants that are saturated with water begin to release water. Such intense evaporation in the dry air of an apartment is highly undesirable and it does not occur when watering in the morning and afternoon. Wet leaves and wet ground are a source of fungal infections.
Water cucumbers only at the root.
Culture for normal growth requires humidity of 80-85%. In winter, the humidity in the rooms is 40-50%, which is bad for cucumbers. With low humidity in plants, the lower leaves begin to turn yellow and dry, the stem gradually becomes bare. Shoots on the windowsill can dry without giving real leaves.
Therefore, immediately after the emergence of seedlings, cucumbers are sprayed at least once every 2-3 days. On the battery under the window sill put the container with water.
Top dressing of cucumbers in the apartment
If the soil was filled with fertilizer at sowing, then fertilizing begins only with the appearance of the first true leaf. They are carried out during the whole growing season with an interval of 5-6 days.
When growing cucumbers in winter, they should be fed more intensively than in summer. They are very fond of fresh manure (except swine). But when grown on the windowsill because of the persistent unpleasant smell, this method is excluded. In a more advantageous position are those who keep in cages of birds (or chickens in the yard). Cell litter soaked in hot water for 20-30 minutes, until the droppings soften, then filter. The resulting solution was diluted 1:10 and fed cucumbers. Bird lovers are usually not so keenly perceived odors in the room.
Plant residues from indoor plants (broken branches, curled and fallen leaves, potato peel, skins from bananas) are suitable for the preparation of herbal infusion. Plant residues are put in a saucepan, filled with water and insisted for several days. Then the solution is filtered, diluted 1: 3 with water and feeding cucumbers.
Infusion ash. Ash is now sold in garden stores, so even in winter it is easy to find. Prepare the infusion according to the instructions on the package. The finished solution is diluted with water and make feeding.
Humatesand liquid fertilizer for cucumbers use only if there are no other organic fertilizers. 1 cap (5 ml) is diluted in 10 liters of water, cucumbers are fed with the resulting solution.
Complex mineral fertilizers This is the worst option feeding. But when growing cucumbers in the winter, in the absence of other fertilizers, one has to use it too. For cucumber, those fertilizers that contain a sufficient amount of nitrogen are suitable, and the dose of potassium exceeds the dose of phosphorus. But on some mineral fertilizers, growing cucumbers in the winter is impossible. During the growing season should be at least 4 organic dressings.
We must remember that organic improves soil fertility, while mineral water has an impact on plants. Cucumbers need not so much nutrition as high soil fertility.
When dressing can not be abused with nitrogen. Zelentsy easily accumulate it and become dangerous to humans.
But the lack of nitrogen leads to lower yields.
- Cucumbers are gaining a lot of green mass, but bloom badly - an excess of nitrogen.
- Cucumbers are weak, they have thin lashes tied up with greenery, they crumble (with proper watering) - a lack of nitrogen.
- In order not to disturb the balance of elements, fertilizing containing nitrogen is alternated with ash, which does not contain it.
After the first week of fruiting, cucumbers, if previously fed with mineral water, need intensive organic fertilization, since during this time they consume all the substances introduced into the soil before.
Formation of cucumbers on the windowsill
Strong cucumbers always lead in one stalk. It is impossible to feed a few stems on a window sill in the winter, neither the plant nor the host will pull it. Cucumbers necessarily need a tapestry to curl. On the bare window sill the lashes will be too cold and dry. All appearing side shoots pinch.
Weavey varieties can be carried in 2-4 stalks. A small whip is unable to give a large number of cucumbers, especially when grown in winter. Main stem pinch after 3-4 leaves. Of the 2nd order lashes that appeared, 2-3 are chosen by the strongest, who are allowed on a trellis or tied up. When grown in winter, the plant cannot feed more than 3 short lashes. To scourge not confused, they are sent in different directions. Each whip must have its support.
After removing the first cucumbers in the winter, the culture begins to dry the lower leaves very quickly. This is a normal process. The plant can not simultaneously feed all the leaves, flowers and green, therefore gets rid of unnecessary "freeloaders". When the yellow leaves are yellowing, they are removed.
Early varieties of cucumbers (while others do not grow on the windowsill in winter) begin to bear fruit 40 days after germination. At this time, the plants are not yet strong. Therefore, the first enshrined fruits are broken in the stage of the ovaries.
The first greenhouses for the culture of the most difficult. An incompletely formed plant gives them all their strength, which hinders its growth and further development. Giving, thus, lashes to get stronger, in the future they harvest a much larger crop than if they grow the firstborn to a normal full-fledged state.
Zelentsy removed every 2-3 days. On the window sill borage can be viewed every day and shoot the full fruit. If the crop is not harvested in time, the growth of further ovaries and the formation of new fruits are markedly inhibited. One overgrown cucumber in the winter stops the growth of the entire lash. If this is allowed, then in winter conditions on the window sill the plant in general can finish its development.
In winter, cucumbers do not grow to the same condition as in the greenhouse. Such a fruit in winter conditions with a lack of all growth factors is overgrown and inhibits further fruiting. This is especially true in the cultivation of cucumbers in December and January. Zelentsy in the winter take off the smaller sizes, than in the summer.
Diseases and pests of cucumbers in the apartment
When home growing cucumbers in the winter, they are not threatened with any insects, most of which have a dormant period at this time. But in room conditions in the spring and late autumn period mushroom mosquitoes are active. They are omnivores and cucumbers without attention, too, will not leave.
Mushroom mosquitoand these are the same midges that annoy so much in the autumn and spring, when stocks of vegetables appear in the house. The midges themselves, with the exception of aesthetic discomfort, are not harmful. The plants are striking their larvae that live in damp earth. They eat roots. For cucumbers, even minor damage is dangerous. They mostly attack plants in October and from mid-March.
The midges and their larvae do not tolerate dry air and insufficiently moist soil. But when growing cucumbers on a windowsill, one can neither reduce the intensity of irrigation, nor reduce the humidity of the air. Therefore, the only way out is to water the plants with insecticides: fly-eater, Zemlin, Aktara, Basudin.
Diseases of cucumbers on the windowsill, also a little. In the premises with all diligence the air is rather dry, therefore pathogens practically do not develop. The only thing that can seriously threaten cucumbers during winter cultivation is the black leg. It can appear at any stage of development, but most often it affects shoots and young plants with 1-2 true leaves.
If the ground has thinned the stem, and the constriction has formed, the plant is removed, the rest is watered with a solution of potassium permanganate.
Errors in the winter cultivation of cucumbers
All of them are associated with the inability to create plant-friendly conditions on the windowsill.
- Seeds do not germinate. If they are fresh, then there is no germination due to unheated land. Cucumbers for germination requires a soil temperature of at least 18 ° C. It is necessary to warm the ground and re-sow.
- Shoots pulled out. Insufficient lighting. For a set of green mass in the winter culture is necessary to illuminate. Although it grows well in the shade, light is necessary for normal development.
- Cucumbers do not bloom for a long time. Excessive lighting. 35-40 days after germination, the plants cover only 12 hours a day. Then they will move to flowering and fruiting.
- Plants shed their ovaries. Lack of nitrogen. It should make organic dressing.
- The culture is powerful, actively growing, but it blooms poorly and forms a little Zelentsov. Excess nitrogen. It should reduce the nitrogen component and increase the dose of potassium in the feed.
- Dry leaves. Air too dry. It is necessary to increase the humidity. Cucumbers are regularly sprayed.
- Only lower leaves dryThe rest of the cucumbers are healthy and bear fruit well. Normal occurrence All culture pays attention to greens. She does not have enough strength to feed the extra "freeloaders". Yellow and dry leaves are removed.
In early varieties, fruiting ends 30-35 days after the appearance of the first cucumbers. Further feeding and other favorable conditions are not able to change the situation. Plants gave everything they could and their potential was exhausted.
Growing cucumbers at home in the winter is extremely troublesome.
- Firstly, it is very expensive. The costs of growing a few dozens of Zelentsov far exceed the costs for the purchase of finished products in the store.
- Secondly, the process is very time consuming. Cucumbers on the windowsill constantly need to pay enough time and effort. If this is not possible, then there is no harvest.
- Thirdly, the taste of Zelentsy is not up to par. To taste, they resemble cucumbers grown in greenhouses, that is, cucumber smell and taste is almost absent.
If you have the opportunity and desire to get fresh cucumbers for the holiday, you can try to grow them. Unlike tomatoes and peppers, they are easier to take care of, but culture takes much more time.
You might be interested in:
Features care for cucumbers
When growing cucumbers in room conditions, you need to remember:
- A suitable place for growing cucumbers will be a window sill or a warm balcony, on the south side. Allowed placement in the east and west side, but not in the north. Although with regular lighting, some growers manage to grow these plants on the northern balconies.
- In winter, on cloudy days, it is recommended to light cucumbers with fluorescent lights, at least two hours a day.
- The optimum temperature for growing is + 21 ° С- + 23 ° С. If it's cold outside, and it's cool on the windowsill, then you need to put wooden stands under the pot.
- When pulling the stems, they need to be tied up so that they do not fall.
- Water cucumbers regularly. Spray the whole plant once a week.
- Feed fertilizer once a week. Special mixes are sold.
- Rotate the pot once a day so that the plant receives light from all sides.
- Ripened cucumbers need to be plucked as they ripen. Prevent them from aging. Thus, the plant will be able to grow more fruit, and the harvest will be good.
- Do not allow drafts and cold - cucumbers do not like it.
If the first time does not work out, do not be upset and give up. It is necessary to analyze the mistakes, study the material once more and with new forces and knowledge proceed to growing cucumbers in the room. It's so nice to pick a cucumber that is grown with your own hands, at the time of snow and frost.
If you choose the right cucumber varieties for growing on a window sill in winter, then in each cold month you can enjoy a delicious own crop. Moreover, you will be completely confident in the naturalness of the product and the absence of any harmful pesticides.
Of course, to grow cucumbers in the winter, you need to use only varieties that can self-pollinate. Then do not have to engage in manual pollination, which is extremely difficult. Therefore, when choosing certain varieties you need to pay attention to hybrids.
Important! Hybrids are indicated by special accepted markings. In particular, the first generation hybrids are labeled F1. Do not confuse hybrids and genetically modified vegetables: these are completely different concepts.
Suitable varieties for cultivation on the windowsill:
- Masha F1 Matures variety extremely quickly. Already from the moment of planting the seed, the first fruits appear after 45 days. Cucumbers of this variety are resistant to diseases. Differ in dark green color, there are large tubercles on the surface. On each brush, when grown on a windowsill, up to six fruits are formed on average 10 centimeters long.
- Miracle on the F1 window. Ripened cucumbers, which are suitable for the saucer. Fruits will be small, only up to 8 centimeters, but has a great taste.
Growing cucumbers on the windowsill in winter
The period of fruiting will come already after 40 days from planting seeds into the soil.
How to choose a place to grow
Of course, only the choice of a good variety will not provide a harvest. You need to choose the right place for growing. The glazed loggia is best suited: there will be an opportunity to develop upwards, there is where to tie up the bushes. If there is no loggia, then a wide window sill on the south side is selected in the apartment.
Of course, in winter, cucumbers will need additional lighting. It is necessary to provide highlighting in the morning from 6 in the morning and before blossoming, and also several hours in the evening after a decline.
How to choose the soil
Ready soil for home cultivation of cucumbers on the windowsill today can be bought at any garden shop.
Purchased soil mixture will have the desired composition, the necessary nutrients. Welcome in the composition of the humus, wood ash.
But even the purchased soil needs to be calcined additionally in order to clean it from possible insect larvae and simply harmful bacteria. Before you fill the soil in a container for growing cucumbers, you will need to provide a drainage layer.
Proper seed preparation
Another important factor in the home-grown cucumbers on the windowsill. Here the preparation of seeds will not differ from what is done for seedlings that are planned to be planted in open ground. First you need to select large seeds and soak them in saline. If any seeds come up, then they can be safely discarded.
Next, you need to soak the seeds for 20 minutes in a solution of potassium permanganate. Then rinse under running water and spread on wet cloths. So leave for a few days, so that the first shoots appear. After that, you can safely plant cucumbers in the ground, burying them two centimeters deep.
The container will need to be covered with a film: in order for the first shoots to appear, it is necessary to ensure maximum moisture conditions.
Put in a warm place at a temperature of 25 degrees Celsius. When you see the first sunrises, it is a sign that you can shoot a film. Now the seedlings are transferred to its permanent place (loggia or window sill) and can withstand lower temperatures from 20 degrees Celsius.
What is important for obtaining an excellent crop of cucumbers on the windowsill:
- Lots of light and space
- Props for growing bushes that must be tied up,
- Reflected light will serve as a good additional lighting: you need to put a mirror behind the seedlings or make a layer of foil,
- Protect the seedlings, and especially the roots, from hypothermia. For capacity, you can make an extra stand,
- Conduct formation constantly. Start when the first four leaves appear (make pinching the top),
- Pinning also side shoots,
- Brush tie to dressings,
- The mustache will be removed on time, otherwise many nutrients will leave the soil on their growth,
- Provide moisture, you can spray leaves every day,
- Be sure to provide feed. You can buy ready-made complex fertilizers,
To grow a good crop, you need not only to know the best varieties of cucumbers for growing on the windowsill, but also to properly care for them. Particular attention should be paid to a sufficient amount of light, heat. It should also provide the necessary moisture and constantly feed the seedlings.
Rubric: Garden on the windowsill in the winter for beginners
- Which cucumber is better
- When to sow
- We prepare soil and tanks
- Seed preparation
- We form cucumbers
- Choosing a place, we organize watering and feeding
Cucumbers on the windowsill in the winter - a real opportunity to get a tasty crop of crispy vegetables at home. Many people like to pamper themselves with fresh vegetables even in winter, so this knowledge will be useful for novice gardeners and salad lovers.
Cucumbers can be grown on the windowsill even in winter
Which cucumber is better
To get started is to choose the best varieties that can be successfully grown on the windowsill. If your balcony is insulated, any varieties of this plant grow just perfect and give a great harvest.
Mostly prefer to use varieties of hybrid origin. Fruits will be tied without special pollination, so it is better to plant these varieties at home.
Varieties that should be planted on their windowsill:
- Shchedryk ripens quickly and takes about 45 days before receiving the harvest. Cucumbers grow a whole bunch of 5-7 pieces. Vegetables are small and ideal for salads.
- Khutorok - matures very quickly, namely within 30 days. Cucumbers in length are about 10 cm, have black spikes. At home you can easily pollinate these plants. You can transfer pollen from male to female inflorescence with a brush.
- Crunch is an ordinary cucumber, which is able to produce a crop within 50 days after germination. The hybrid can pollinate independently and gives a large amount of a crop. If you organize the right care, you can collect more than 40 fruits from this variety. Vine grows actively and abundantly.
These varieties can also be easily grown in a greenhouse or open field. You can pick up other varieties of cucumbers - it all depends on individual preferences.
Cucumbers Shchedryk - high-yielding early variety
We prepare soil and tanks
Cucumber prefers good and loose soil. For home cultivation will require a large amount of quality soil. For the proper development of the vegetable food is required. The soil is also prepared independently: the garden soil is mixed with sand, humus, ash, rotten sawdust. Heat such a soil in the oven to rid it of all sorts of bacteria and other harmful particles.
Boxes are purchased for seedlings, in which no more than 6 cucumber bushes are placed so that they grow properly and produce a bountiful harvest. In the dishes there is a drainage and holes without fail. So you will ensure the draining of excess moisture. The earth falls asleep before landing, so that it subsides a bit and gets soaked with water.
Seedlings can be planted in pots or boxes
Fragrant home cucumbers grown on the windowsill or on the balcony
This will help grow cucumbers without unnecessary pests and diseases.
You can use small and special cups or you can directly seed the seed directly into the box. Sprouted or dry seed is placed in the soil about 1.5 cm in depth. The soil must be wet for the sprouts to grow actively. Before sprouting from the ground, you must close your containers with glass or film.
If you prefer to sow in a small container, then treat the transplant carefully so as not to harm the leaves. Water containers just before transplanting so that the earth around the root system crumbles off, and the roots do not get damaged in any way. In this case, the plant is able to easily transfer such stress. Further, bushes and lashes are already formed, so that a sufficient number of cucumbers are formed on them.
Cucumbers do not like transplanting, so you need to get them out of the pots very carefully
We form cucumbers
To grow tasty cucumbers, you need to know another nuance. After the appearance of 4-5 sheets, you need to pinch the point of direct growth in the seedling. So side lashes will be actively developed. It is necessary to ensure good growth of the shoots, on which the most vegetables are formed.
Organize a reliable garter so that the vegetables get the maximum amount of sunlight. Take care of the leaves in order not to harm them. Excess antennae can be cut, but so as not to catch the main lash.
Choosing a place, we organize watering and feeding
Without these aspects of the harvest you will not succeed. Therefore, it is recommended to use organic fertilizers. In winter, you can organize watering on the basis of fermented bananas. Dilute this infusion should be plenty of water.
Harvesting cucumbers should be done daily.
Place for growing choose light. The best option is the southern windowsill, where the sunlight will constantly fall on the plant.
Always remember that cucumber is a heat-loving vegetable. Try to create a microclimate around the seedlings and the correct humidity.
In addition to greenhouses and open ground, cucumbers can produce good yields on the windowsills of ordinary city apartments. How to grow cucumbers at home? There is a fairly well-established technology of growing cucumbers on the windowsill, and this can be done even in winter. The main subtleties of obtaining decent yields on the windowsill from the varieties used to the care system in our material.
Cultivars for growing houses
To get early cucumbers at home, you need to have the appropriate varieties and hybrids. For many, the only room for growing a house on the windowsill is still considered “Rytov's Room”. But, breeders do not sit idly by, and recently many varieties of fast-growing cucumbers for the home have appeared.
First of all, you need to think about whether cucumbers can grow at home without pollination. No, of course they can grow, but it is unlikely to form full-fledged fruits. Therefore, first of all, for home cultivation it is necessary to choose parthenocarpic varieties:
- Moscow greenhouse,
If you have information about varieties for growing a house on a windowsill, share your experience in the comments. Many home growers will thank you.
All of the above hybrids of cucumbers are parthenocarpic, that is, the participation of insects in the process of pollination is not required. Approach to the selection of varieties for cultivation on the windowsill should be carefully, stopping at the shade-tolerant.
Before you grow the early cucumbers at home, you need to look at the hybrids balcony destination, which also showed themselves well when grown on a windowsill. These balcony-type cucumbers are conveniently grown in plastic bottles, suspended on a balcony or loggia. These hybrids include the following:
- City cucumber,
- The calendar.
If your attention is still attracted bee pollinated varieties, you will have to pollinate the flowers by hand, preferably in the morning. Such a measure will allow to grow cucumbers at home quickly. To do this, you need to prepare cotton wool or a cotton swab and gently transfer the pollen from the male flower, which is also called the barren flower, to the female flower, which later forms the ovary.
Another way is to pick a male flower and pollinate it directly with a female. To ensure that cucumbers are grown in a pot at home, it is advisable to pollinate female flowers with different types of pollen.
Growing cucumbers in the winter on the windowsill at home
The capacity of dishes per plant should be at least 5 liters. Thinking about how to grow cucumbers at home, you can consider flower pots and small boxes. Recently, cultivation of cucumbers at home in plastic bottles is considered relevant, having previously cut off the neck. By capacity each five-liter bottle is suitable for one plant.
Some enthusiasts grow cucumbers at home in plastic bags. Regardless of which container you choose, you need to ensure good drainage by making several holes in the bottom.
For home cucumbers, you can use the purchased soil mixture or make it yourself. To grow cucumbers at home in a pot, you can make a mixture based on the following proportions:
- 1 part of turf or vegetable land,
- 1 part compost,
- 1/5 part of coarse sand
- 1/5 part of sawdust,
- 1/5 part wood ash.
Before sowing seeds into the soil, it must be disinfected by roasting or hot water. The composition of the soil mixture immediately need to make about 2 matchboxes of mineral fertilizers for pumpkin crops or especially for cucumbers. A good substitute for this is nitrophoska.
The resulting soil mixture for growing cucumbers at home is laid out in five-liter plastic bottles or other containers and the day before sowing there seeds are watered abundantly.
How to grow cucumbers at home in the spring
Place for growing cucumbers on the windowsill should be well lit and be spacious. To increase the illumination, you can fix a reflective foil or a mirror next to the plant. To prevent hypothermia, a sheet of foam or any other heat-insulating material is placed on the window sill, under the pot with a plant.
As in the case of the greenhouse cucumber, when growing a house on the windowsill, you need to take care of the correct formation of the stem of the plant. This is done by pinching the tops when the phase of 4-5 leaves is reached. This procedure stimulates the active growth of the side lashes, which should also pinch over 3-5 sheet.
When growing cucumbers at home, you will need a support at about a meter above the pot. It will be used to tie up the main stem, and it can be made from ordinary wire. The resulting vines should also be tipped over an 11–12 leaf.
When carrying out pinching you need to carefully treat the leaves. The more of them, the greater the yield. The mustache is removed.
Watering cucumbers at home should be daily, not over-wetting. In addition, you need to increase the humidity. For this, the plants are sprayed from a spray bottle or placed next to a container of water.
Top dressing cucumbers at home produce ready-made mixtures for pumpkin crops. Some feed plants with solutions of organic fertilizers. An example of such a fertilizer can be a solution of fermented banana peels. Good results are obtained by spraying the stems and leaves with solutions of trace elements.
As the cucumbers start to bear fruit at home, you need to monitor the timely and daily collection of greenberries. Do not allow re-growing. This procedure stimulates even more fruiting cucumbers on the windowsill. Proper care will allow you to remove from each plant on 10-30 Zelentsov daily. In addition, the appearance of the window sill, entwined with green vines, causes admiration and interest, especially in winter.