Today it is impossible to imagine land without spicy culture. Parsley refers to the universal plants that are used in cooking, medicinal, cosmetic purposes. But growing a plant is often accompanied by unforeseen circumstances, such as poor germination of planting material. To parsley quickly rose, gardeners use different methods that accelerate germination for 4-5 days.
How much parsley is grown after sowing
The germination of seeds of a spicy plant is a long process. Gardeners are always interested in how many days the green will appear. Seedlings of parsley varieties can be delayed for 15-20 days, or even more:
- The bogatyr ─ rises in 15-20 days. Harvesting in 65-75 days.
- Hamburger ─ leaf parsley. Shoots appear in 15-20 days, and harvest takes place in 90 days.
- Carnival ─ the period from germination to collection 60 days. Occurs on the 15-20th day.
Shoots appear after 2-3 weeks in almost all varieties. The difference is in the time of harvest.
The germination is influenced by the quality of the seed. Even in the first class, germination of shoots is only 60-70%, while in class II germination and even less, only 30-40%. In an open, light ground, seeds are introduced to a depth of no more than 2-2.5 cm, and if the soil is heavy and is still to be mulched after sowing, the material is sown shallowly, 1-1.5 cm. Seeds rise slowly and for a long time at t + 2 -3˚С, and shoots can withstand -7-9˚С. To parsley rose in 20-25 days, the grooves are carefully shed with warm water + 38-40 ° C. It grows faster if the seeds are soaked. Then the sprouts can be seen on the 15-20th day.
Why do not appear shoots
Spicy plant belongs to the celery family (umbrella), the seeds have a shell of essential oils. It impedes the penetration of moisture into the material. That is why parsley does not sprout, and germinating shoots appear slowly above the ground or may not stick at all. Experienced gardeners are able to determine what needs to be done; these may be different circumstances.
To avoid doubts about the quality of planting material, you need to purchase from reputable manufacturers and pay attention to the shelf life.
Ways to accelerate germination
Fast growing seeds do not need additional stimulation. This applies to tomatoes, cucumbers, peas, beans. They do not need to germinate before planting, as they quickly emerge for 3-5 days. Parsley, pepper, eggplant can be attributed to the "long-lasting" cultivated plants. They can be in the soil and for 2 weeks can not show shoots. Therefore, gardeners have to think as soon as possible to grow parsley from the seeds.
To accelerate germination, many gardeners use the wet wipe method. Planting material is wrapped in it, placed in a warm, dark place, and in 3-4 days you can see sprouts. Then the napkin with the processes is placed in the refrigerator for hardening for 5-7 days. This is done so that after landing in open ground, they suffer the spring cold. Such a simple method will allow parsley to sprout quickly.
Soaking parsley seeds before planting
Preparation of planting material contributes to quick shoots. The main methods of soaking seeds:
- Vodka. It is known that the grains of spicy grass are in a protective ether film that delays their germination in the soil. With the help of alcohol, the shell is dissolved. It is necessary to put the seeds in a napkin soaked in vodka for 15-20 minutes, then rinse under running water, dry and proceed to the introduction into the soil. Thus, the grains soaked before planting will accelerate the germination of spices.
- Water. At night put the seed in the water, and the next morning it is ready for planting in the substrate.
- Milk. This method will give strong, tall and juicy shoots. Soak the seeds in milk for 30 minutes and then plant them in a prepared seedling container. Wet soil should be sprinkled with quicklime three times every 15-20 minutes.
- Growth stimulant Zircon, epine, humate are biologically active substances, they are used before soaking seeds in water. They regulate growth and root formation processes, and also make plants disease-resistant.
To get quick shoots, a gardener needs to carefully inspect all planting material, discard low-quality, moldy and destroyed specimens.
There are 6 known methods that contribute to the accelerated germination of a spicy plant. For this you need:
- Soak the seeds in water. Every 4-6 hours change to warm water from t + 20-25˚C. Withstand until the first spitting of seeds. Put on a damp cloth, cover with plastic wrap, and top with a dry cloth.
- In a soapy solution. In 200 g of warm water dissolve 2 tbsp. liter of soap and put the material into it for 1 hour. Rinse and immerse in water with t + 40˚C for 24 hours. They will be soft and ready for sowing.
- To remove the shell from essential oils, you need to put the seed in hot water or vodka for 10-15 minutes.
- Soak the seeds in the milk until softened, dry, plant in the beds, sprinkled with quicklime.
- Vernalization. Planting material in a tissue bag is buried in the ground for 2 weeks. Before sowing, it is taken out, laid out, dried and sown in the grooves.
- Bubbling. For this method, use the compressor for the aquarium. A small amount of water is poured into the tank, grains are poured out, and the compressor is lowered, turning it on for 18-24 hours. Moving in the stream, the seeds are filled with oxygen and throw off a certain part of the shell of essential oils. Dried grains can be applied to the ground.
Using one of the proposed methods of germination, you can achieve rapid germination of seed.
Agrotechnical receptions for the accelerated emergence of shoots
Parsley is a two-year cultivated plant. There are two types of it ─ root and leaf. Agricultural cultivation of root parsley does not require much care. She loves fertile sandy, slightly loamy, loose soil. During planting, 13–18 g / 1 m² of urea is added to avoid the appearance of a large number of lateral roots. Also add superphosphate 40-50 g / 1 m², ammonium sulfate 40-50 g / 1 m² and potassium sulfide 20-30 g / 1 m².
Before sowing, seeds should be properly soaked for 3-5 days in warm water at t + 35-40˚C, and then put on a napkin or wet sawdust.
If you use sawdust, they must first be poured with boiling water and treated with boric acid per 1 liter of water 0.1-0.2 g. Sprouted grains are added to the prepared soil. The first shoots will appear in 15-20 days. Sheet parsley is also made pre soaked in water, milk, vodka.
Methods of preliminary preparation of planting material accelerate the germination of the plant. For subwinter application, it is not recommended to soak the material, but sow it dry to a depth of 1.5-2 cm if the soil is loamy or sandy. On the peat bog, seeds are brought to a depth of 3-3.5 cm. The distance between the rows is 20-30 cm, and between sprouts is 8-10 cm. If you sow leaf parsley in the ground before winter, cover it with any material to avoid freezing and keep it alive until spring. To obtain young greenery, plant growers advise using a conveyor method for planting - sowing every 2-3 weeks until autumn.
- For spring sowing the beds are prepared in autumn. Bring in organic matter (peat, manure, compost, green manure) and mineral (sulfate, potassium, urea, ammonium nitrate, superphosphate). In the spring you can feed urea.
- Soak the seeds in a 0.2% solution of potassium permanganate or warm water for 6-8 hours. Then put in a damp napkin, stand until germination. To speed up the process, the napkin can be soaked in milk for 3-4 hours, and then placed in a 0.2% potassium permanganate.
- Sow sprouted grains in prepared grooves, cover with 1-1.5 cm of earth, compact well, and humus the ground.
The first shoots will appear in 10-15 days, and dry ones emerge later soaked for 7-10 days.
Creating a greenhouse effect on the bed
Each gardener wants to achieve rapid germination of cultivated plants and resorts to various tricks. So that the parsley seeds germinate faster and the soil retains moisture for a long time, the beds are covered with a transparent plastic wrap, which creates a greenhouse effect. This will relieve the need for daily spray irrigation of the substrate. Seeds can be covered with non-woven agrotextile ─ spunbond, which is made of polypropylene.
Parsley is an unpretentious biennial spicy plant. It does not require special care, but simple recommendations will help speed up the process of seed germination and get high-quality, fragrant, healthy greens.
Leaf parsley is one of the most common green crops.
The main agrotechnical requirements of this culture are as follows:
- The predecessors - cucumber, tomatoes, garlic, onions on the feather, cabbage, early potatoes. A culture grows poorly and develops when re-sowing on the same plot for several years, as well as when placed after celery, dill,
- Soils - loose, sandy and light loamy, with a high content of nutrients and humus and acidity close to neutral,
- Soil moisture - the soil should be well-moistened, with deep groundwater and no water pipe,
- Illumination - the cultivation area should be well lit during daylight hours. When sowing in a heavily patched area, the culture gives off unfriendly, poorly developed,
- The minimum temperature for the emergence of shoots - + 3 + 4 С0,
- The optimum temperature for further growth and development is + 15 + 17 С0.
In addition to open ground, to grow fragrant and juicy parsley can be in the greenhouse, in winter - in pots on the windowsill.
Reproduction of culture
Healthy parsley seeds
This culture is propagated in the following ways:
- Seeds - for this purpose, collected from a testicle or purchased in a store, processed seeds are sown in open ground, a seedling box, a greenhouse. This is the most common and easiest way to reproduce this crop, allowing you to get high yields of greens and root crops. There is nothing better than to plant parsley at home - in special pots and containers for forcing out the early and mature seedlings of this crop. The resulting seedlings provide stronger, high-yielding plants that are resistant to diseases and pests,
- Roots - dug, sorted and stored in the basement of the roots are planted in a separate area. This method is used for laying the testicle, the area from which seeds will be collected in the future.
It is known that the harvest of any crop depends primarily on the quality of the seed. So, if parsley breeding is grown from seed, then it is taken into account that their germination persists for 3 years. Buying seeds in a store, pay attention to their shelf life, as well as how parsley seeds look and their quality. Oblong seeds should be a grayish-green color, have a specific tart flavor.
To get a friendly shoot of seeds, a few days before planting, they are disinfected and germinated as follows:
- For germination by soaking use water at room temperature (+ 19 + 22) C0, in which the seeds are first incubated for 2-3 days, and then dried for 20-30 minutes. If the field of such soaking seeds "spiked" (visible small green seedlings), they can be sown in the ground. Often practiced a more effective method of soaking. A wet gauze napkin is placed on the bottom of a small saucer, and seeds are evenly spread on it. The emergence of germs accelerates the use of growth stimulants such as "Appin", "Kornevin". Often the seeds must be green by placing a container with them in a place well-lit by the sun.
The germination of seeds - a mandatory method of preparing parsley seeds
Council In order to remove the germinating film of essential oils from the surface of seeds, they are soaked in hot water (60-700), hydrogen peroxide solution. Some practice soaking in alcohol-containing liquids: vodka, diluted with medical alcohol, using their property, such as the rapid dissolution of the essential oil film with a short contact with it.
- For disinfection, parsley seeds are soaked in 1% potassium permanganate solution for 20-25 minutes. After disinfection, the seed is thoroughly washed under cold running water for 20-30 minutes. Washing the seeds is necessary to remove the remnants of the disinfecting solution - a delay in growth and development, low germination can be caused precisely by the remnants of the solution on the surface of the seeds.
Important! There are currently a wide variety of websites and blogs on the Internet telling how to sprout parsley quickly in three hours and get fantastic shoots by soaking the seeds in milk and sprinkling the soil with lime. Since there is no evidence that parsley is sprouting in 3 hours, not one, this method is not used by experienced gardeners.
Parsley is planted with seeds, both in the open ground and in the greenhouse, a box for forcing the seedlings.
When sown in the soil plot (soil capacity for seedlings) are carefully loosened, make grooves, covered with germinated seeds in them, gently sprinkled with earth, watered abundantly. The depth of sowing on light soils is 3.0-3.5 cm, on loam - 1.5-2.0 cm. Sow parsley according to a two-line pattern 30 × 30 × 60 cm (two rows with a row spacing of 30 cm divided by a large row spacing of 60 cm ) or in a simple ordinary way (with a row spacing of 30 cm)
Parsley, sown in the ordinary way
With a small plot and very light soil, the seeds are simply scattered over the soil surface and watered from a watering can.
The time of sowing seeds is early spring (end of April-May), as the soil warms up to a temperature of + 4- + 50. Also often sown parsley in the summer - in the middle of July and early August.
Council To increase germination, parsley is often sown before winter, 10-15 days before the onset of frost (early November)
Despite the unpretentiousness of parsley, its cultivation in a seedling way is troublesome. Start this work in March.
Get in advance or prepare:
- soil (mixture of 1 part peat, 1 part leaf humus, 2 parts of garden soil),
- containers (boxes, trays), up to 30 cm deep, for planting seeds,
- peat pots for seedlings.
Now consider how to plant parsley seedlings:
- At the bottom of the container (box, tray) lay a drainage layer (2-3 cm) of small stones, expanded clay, coarse sand. On top of the drainage tank is filled with soil, leaving a distance of 2-3 cm to the edge of the box,
- Germinated (dry) seeds deepen no more than 0.5 cm, sprinkle with a layer of loose earth and water. Then the container is covered with foil, placed in a dark and warm place (boiler room, a dark room next to the stove). As soon as the seeds begin to germinate, the film is removed and the container is placed on a window well lit by the sun.
Parsley seedling growing containers
- With the advent of the 4th leaflet (not counting the 2 first ones), each plant is carefully transplanted into a separate peat pot (it is possible in a different container). Parsley loves a long light day (up to 12 hours), so the location of the seedlings at the beginning of spring is equipped with special fluorescent lamps. The optimum temperature for the growth of seedlings is + 15 + 20 С0. At this stage watering is important, both drying of the soil, and its remoistening is not allowed. Usually, irrigation of seedlings, watering of seedlings is carried out 2 times a week,
- When the seedling is well rooted, and the stem of the plant reaches 7-8 cm (for which it will take 1.5-2 months), in early May from the pot seedlings are planted in open ground or a greenhouse.
The choice of planting scheme is influenced by the variety and type of parsley. Thus, leaf parsley seedlings should be planted at a distance of 20 cm from each other, and the aisle is left 40-50 cm. But it is important not only to plant the seedlings in time, sow the seeds, the plant needs care and attention.
On a note. Many residents of multi-storey buildings in the absence of cottages have no other choice than to grow parsley at home. To do this, use long containers filled with humus, soil, bulk pots. In the summer they are exposed to a well-lit window sill of the southern or eastern windows, and in winter and spring special lamps are used with a spectrum of light close to the sun. In this case, figuring out how to plant parsley at home, guided by the technology of forcing the seedlings above.
Parsley on the windowsill of an apartment
In addition to getting greens for salads, many apartment owners plant parsley to decorate windows - richly green shoots will look very nice and please the eye of the apartment owner, especially when it is winter with its solid white monotony outside.
Like any crop, parsley requires good care throughout the season, consisting of activities such as:
- Timely watering,
- Soil loosening
- Fertilizing with mineral fertilizers,
- Weeding and weed control,
Как часто и интенсивно поливать петрушку, зависит от погоды. Полив должен быть умеренным и своевременным, делать это нужно вечером либо ранним утром. Water parsley is poured over rain, well, settled and warmed up in the sun with water. It is not recommended to use strongly chlorinated or iron-rich tap water. Also not suitable for irrigation water from highly mineralized wells.
For normal air access to the root system, preventing the formation of soil crust, reducing the drying of the soil several times during the season, loosen the surface layer of the soil to a depth of 2-3 cm.
Loosening the soil of parsley - the most important method of care for the crop
Unplanned loosening produce:
- After heavy rains - loosening after heavy rains is necessary in order to destroy the crust formed at the same time, which badly lets air through, promotes stagnation of water and “blooming” of the soil,
- With a strong drought - periodic loosening of the soil in this case allows you to break the resulting soil capillaries, which are the active evaporation of soil moisture and drying of the soil,
- With a cold snap, this will allow the germination and development of less demanding weeds to be restrained.
When loosening the soil is treated between the rows, around the plants themselves are not loosened so as not to damage the shallow root system.
Used for loosening manual cultivators, choppers, flat-cutters with a well-sharpened working part.
On a note. With a scattered method of sowing parsley, loosening is done after thinning the plantation.
On whatever fertile soil parsley is cultivated, it is impossible to do without mineral fertilizers. For the season make two dressings:
- The first dressing is produced by nitrogen fertilizers when urea forms 4 leaves on the stem (6 grams per 10 liters of water) or ammonium sulfate (15 grams per 10 liters),
- The second dressing is carried out with potash and phosphate fertilizers in the phase of 5-7 leaves with a mixture of superphosphate and potassium sulfate (15 grams each).
Foliar top dressing of parsley with nitrogen fertilizers
The first dressing is produced by foliar application, dissolving the fertilizer in water intended for irrigation. The second dressing is done by spreading fertilizers directly into the soil before loosening the spacing.
Weeding and weed control
Seeds can come up quickly and amicably, but often weeds strongly prevent them from continuing to grow. They create a shadow, take away useful substances from the earth, become a haven of many pests. Parsley needs constant hand weeding right up to the tight closure of leaves and the oppression of weed seedlings under them. Both on the dacha plots and in the conditions of farms, chemical weeding of this green crop is not used.
Often, parsley is sown with seeds immediately in the open ground. If it germinates together, then the extra shoots are also removed, like weeds.
Thinning - a technique that creates the optimum plant density
Throughout the season, two thinning is performed:
- The first thinning is performed when the seedlings form 2-3 leaves, they are thinned so that there is a distance of 3 cm between the young bushes,
- The second thinning is done when the plants appear 7-8 leaves. At the same time between the plants leave a distance of 5-6 cm.
Thinning out parsley, the plants are removed, grabbing them near the very surface of the soil and pulling them out with a careful, not sharp movement. This is necessary in order to remove nearby plants when removing thickening plants. The plants removed from the garden bed are not left in the garden, but placed on a compost pit.
On a note. Parsley has a lot of valuable and healing for a person: for example, it contributes to the normalization of digestion, improves blood formation, improves immunity and male potency. However, there are some contraindications: doctors do not recommend it to people with kidney disease, it should be excluded from the diet for gout. The curative effect is not only parsley, but also its seeds. Any pharmacy can offer its customers packaging with dry seeds, which can be bought for little money.
Thus, parsley is a very valuable and useful vegetable crop. Due to the simple technology of cultivation and high yield, it is found on the beds of almost all summer residents and owners of private plots. However, despite the simplicity of parsley farming, it must be observed very carefully, ignoring, for example, such untenable advice on how to sprout parsley in 3 hours and get fantastically quick shoots. It should be remembered that, like all vegetable crops, she loves work and patience and does not “reward” the gardener with a crop with a conciliatory and inattentive attitude toward herself.
Choosing a place to sow parsley
Parsley is undemanding to soils, a place of cultivation and care. It can grow both in the sun and in partial shade. And in the sun it will grow earlier, but in the summer in the heat it will be better to feel on shaded areas. Choosing a place to plant, it should be borne in mind that parsley is a two-year crop. In the first year, 2-3 waves of the crop can be cut off, and in the spring of the second year they can be cut one more time. After that, it goes into the arrows, blooms and gives seeds.
After the harvest of the second year, the parsley begins to bloom and gives arrows
Neighbors and predecessors
Parsley is not too capricious in terms of neighborhood, but you should not plant it after such crops as:
- carrots, etc.
However, she quite gets along with them as neighbors. Excellent precursors for parsley are:
Mixed plantations have proven themselves well when they sow parsley between rows of peas, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and radishes.
Parsley is picky and easy to get along on the same garden bed with many cultures
Preparation of beds and landing scheme
Prepare a parsley bed 2-4 weeks before sowing:
- Clear the place from weeds and vegetable garbage.
- They dig at shovels bayonets, putting fertilizers in the soil: they use humus or compost at a rate of 5–10 kg / m 2, superphosphate - 30–40 g / m 2, and also wood ash in the amount of 1–2 l / m 2.
- Immediately before sowing, the soil is leveled with a rake and with the help of a chopper or a flat cut form grooves 3–5 cm deep with an interval of 15–20 cm.
It is best to sow parsley in early spring immediately after the snow melted. In this case, you can get an early harvest and remove it 2-3 times per season. The same results are obtained when sub-wintering. In this case, the first greens are cut 2-4 weeks earlier than usual. When sub-winter sowing, time is chosen so that the seeds do not have time to rise before the frost. The best time is when the temperature drops to -2–3 ° C, and the ground is covered with a crust of ice.
Is it possible to plant parsley in June
Usually such a need does not arise, since the parsley sown before winter or in early spring will provide the gardener with greens for the whole season. But if for some reason it wasn’t planted at the optimum time, then it can be done in the summer. At the same time, it is necessary to be prepared for the fact that in hot dry weather conditions, seedlings will be weak and will require additional care efforts:
- shelter with lightweight spanbond from drying up the soil,
- more frequent watering
And sow parsley in the summer is better in partial shade. And you can also apply a seedling method of growing.
Parsley planted in summer may require more frequent watering.
Purchase of seeds
The first thing you should pay attention to is the name of the manufacturer. Choosing well-known brands that are well proven in the market, you can count on a positive result. Most popular manufacturers:
- “Agrofirma Aelita”,
- "Seeds of Altai"
- "Seeds of Crimea" and others.
The second important factor is the date of seed production. And it is the production, and not the expiration date. It is important. The fact is that some manufacturers proceed from the timing of germination up to 4 years, which is indicated on the packaging. But it is not so. In the fourth year the seeds, of course, will sprout, but not all. Their germination will be quite low - no more than 10%. It is better to use seeds that have been stored for no more than 2-3 years. And they should be stored in a dry room at a temperature of 10-15 ° C.
Soaking before planting
Parsley seeds do not calibrate and do not disinfect. The presence in their shell of essential oils produces a deterrent effect for most pests and infections. But these same oils slow down the germination of seeds, therefore, in order to speed up this process, they often resort to soaking them:
- Two weeks before sowing, seeds are dipped in warm water for two days, at the same time changing water every four hours.
- After this, it is possible to additionally hold the seed in a solution of growth stimulants (Zircon, Appin, Ecogel, etc.) for 20-30 minutes.
- Then the seeds are dried and sown.
When soaking parsley seeds, the outer layer of essential oils dissolves, which accelerates germination
When planting parsley under the winter seeds can not be soaked.
Soaking parsley seeds in vodka
A faster way to preplant preparation is to soak the seeds in regular vodka. To do this, wrap them in gauze, immersed in a glass of alcohol, and after 15 minutes removed and washed in running water. Then dried and used for sowing as usual. It is believed that after such a procedure, essential oils dissolve completely, and seedlings can be expected already 3-5 days after sowing.
Planting seeds in open ground
In order for the seeds in the ground to be at the same depth and not too lowered into the ground, the bottom of the prepared groove is compacted with a small plank 25-30 mm thick. After that, the seeds are evenly sown along the length of the grooves, without fear of them thicken. The thicker the seedlings will be, the more green mass will eventually be. But the measure, of course, need to know. With excessive thickened stems will be thin and weak, so you need to be guided by common sense. Usually the manufacturer recommends a seeding rate of 1 g / m 2 - and it should be followed.
After sowing, the seeds are covered with loose soil or humus in a layer of 1-2 cm. Then they are carefully watered from a watering can and covered with a spunbond with a density of 17-30 g / m 2. If sowing is carried out in the autumn before winter, the garden bed should not be watered.
How to plant parsley seeds at home
In small quantities parsley can be grown right in the kitchen. To do this, take a suitable box or container with holes in the bottom to remove excess moisture. Its depth should be at least 15-20 centimeters.
At the bottom is placed a small (3-4 cm) layer of expanded clay as a drain, and on top is a nutrient substrate. It is better to use as the last a mixture of one part of biohumus and two parts of coconut fiber. And you can also use ready-made soil for seedlings or a home-made composition, the recipe of which is almost every gardener.
Parsley is sown in moist soil in rows with an interval of 5-10 cm to a depth of 0.5-1 cm, covered with a layer of soil up to 2 cm. After that, moisten the surface layer with a spray bottle, cover with a film and remove the container in a dark warm place until germination. At the same time, they do not forget to moisten the soil regularly (every other day).
For growing on the windowsill, parsley seeds are sown in a container with a nutrient substrate
Sowing parsley in boiling water
This phrase is often found on the Internet. In fact, this set of words is far from the truth - it is impossible to sow parsley (or another crop) in boiling water. The only result of such an action may be getting a decoction for some purpose. The use of boiling water or hot water when sowing will help speed seed germination by dissolving the layer of essential oils. Do it in two ways:
- in the first case, the seeds are placed in hot water at a temperature of 45–48 ° С (no more!) for 30–40 minutes, then sown.
- in the second case, use really boiling water. They shed grooves in the garden immediately before sowing, after which the seeds are sown in the heated land. At the same time, in addition to accelerating the emergence of shoots, the soil is also disinfected.
Sometimes parsley is grown using the seedling method. Grown seedlings aged 1.5 months transplanted into open ground or in the greenhouse. Usually they do it in early-mid May. The distance between the rows is made within 15–20 cm, and the interval between plants is 5–10 cm. The depth of planting should correspond to the size of the root system — it is not recommended to bury the plants.
Parsley is used in soups, sauces, salads, its use reduces the need for salt. This food is low in saturated fat, very low in cholesterol. It is also a good source of protein, vitamin E (alpha tocopherol), thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, pantothenic acid, and also a very good source of dietary fiber. Parsley contains a considerable amount of vitamin C. It is also rich in vitamin A - its effect on vision, on reducing the risk of atherosclerosis, and diabetes is well known. Carotene, calcium, mineral salts of iron, phosphorus, mineral - this is only the main list of useful components of this fragrant plant. And the presence of aroma, its strength and pleasant taste depends on the percentage of essential oils. Root and parsley leaves are used for food.
Preparing parsley seeds for sowing, increasing and accelerating their germination
Parsley seeds germinate for a long time - 15-20 days. This is due to the fact that the seeds are covered with essential oils, which prevent the germination, they do not seem to give wet seed coat, do not allow moisture inside. This feature must be taken into account when preparing parsley seeds for sowing. After sowing, many gardeners cover the beds with film or spunbond to keep the soil moist. Do not remove the shelter as long as the shoots do not seem out of the ground. If you are sure that all these 15-20 days, which are necessary for germination, you can keep the beds wet, then it is not necessary to soak the parsley seeds before sowing.
But there are ways to germinate seeds that increase germination of parsleyaccelerating the emergence of shoots.
You can speed up germination by soaking the seeds in water overnight before planting. Water, by the way, practically does not dissolve oil on the surface of seeds. Therefore, before soaking, pour parsley seeds with hot water (not boiling water) in order to wash off the essential oils from their surface.
Another way. Very simple. Need to soak the seeds in vodka, as essential oils are dissolved in alcohol-containing solutions. At the bottom of the saucer I pour a little 40-degree. Then I put the seeds on a small piece of wide gauze bandage. I drop parsley seeds on gauze into vodka, leave for 15-20 minutes. Longer can not - can burn the seeds. Then I lift the seed bandage, rinse it under running water. Rinse must necessarily. Then dry the seeds. All - parsley seeds are ready for sowing. This method of seed treatment allows them to germinate twice as fast. Shoots friendly, strong.
There is another way fast germination . Many of us grow greens to the table on the window or balcony. It is very convenient. Parsley seeds germinate very slowly, but there is one way to “force” them to germinate very quickly. Prepare a container with the earth, moisten it, sprinkle the earth with quicklime three times every 10-15 minutes. Sow parsley seeds pre-soaked in milk. Seeds will sprout in three hours. The room should be warm, not lower than 20 ° C.
Before sowing the seeds of parsley, you should dig up well or loosen the ground. It will not be superfluous to fill it with organic fertilizer before tilling the soil.
Sowing time depends on the condition of the soil. It is not necessary to wait for warm weather. As soon as the snow has come down you can sow the seeds. The optimum temperature for seed germination is +1 - + 5C. In the Kuban can sow in the "February window." In central Russia - in April, after the snow melted. That is, parsley is a cold-resistant plant. The shoots easily carry light frosts, winter well under a good layer of snow. Spring is a great time to sow parsley seeds, but you can sow it any time of the year - in spring, summer and autumn. The most important thing is to keep the soil moist until germination. Seeds can be sown in late autumn, before winter. At the same time, the sowing time should be chosen such that the seeds do not have time to germinate before the onset of frost - the young seedlings will not survive the cold, they will die.
The best predecessors of parsley are onions, cucumbers, tomatoes. Sow the seeds finely, to a depth of no more than 1-1.5 cm. It is better to sprinkle the seeds on top with humus. For the entire period of growth at least 3-4 times it is necessary to break through the soil, 1-2 times to feed. If the seedlings are too thick, thin the crops. Between plants should be at least 3-5 cm. Feeding should be started only after the appearance of 2-3 true leaves. Feed the full mineral fertilizer with a predominance of nitrogen. Do not allow the soil to dry out. Parsley does not like weeds, they greatly inhibit its growth.
For the whole season they spend 3-4 loosening, 1-2 feeding and watering. For thick shoots, the plants are thinned out, leaving 3-5 cm between them. They begin to feed dressings when the plants have 2-3 true leaves, and then feed them after cutting the leaves. Для получения большого урожая зеленой массы петрушку подкармливают полным минеральным удобрением с преобладанием азота.
Листья срезают как можно ниже. Не срезайте слишком много листьев с одного растения за один раз — не более трети, иначе кустик не сможет быстро восстановиться или вообще погибнет. It is necessary to periodically remove the stem on which the inflorescence is formed (unless you want to collect seeds), because new leaves will not grow on the old stem. New leaves usually grow from the outside of the outlet. By the way, curly varieties, new leaves grow from the center of the outlet.
Tomatoes and asparagus on your site will grow better if parsley grows nearby. Plant it near the roses - their fragrance will increase.
The best storage method is freezing. It keeps well the taste, color, when frozen. If you have to collect it for storage after the rain, then you should rinse the twigs well, dry them, wrapping them with a kitchen towel. Separate the leaves from the stems. Do not throw away the stems, they can also be frozen. They are perfect for improving the taste of soups. Dip the parsley stalks into the soup shortly before the end of boiling, tied in bunches. Then, after 5-7 minutes, they can be removed from the soup.
Parsley is a wonderful greenery, a two-year-old spicy herb that can be served on almost any dish. Sowing parsley in the summer, you can try this green not only in the year of planting, but also for the next season. Moreover, parsley is an unpretentious plant and there are no complicated rules on how to sow it and how to take care of it.
There are only recommendations that, if you follow them, will help grow quickly high-quality and healthy greens to the table.
Parsley has one peculiarity - its seeds sprout for a long time.
On the Internet, I even found a post that said: “How to grow parsley in 3 hours” - for this, it should be soaked in milk, and the land before planting should be sprinkled with dolomite three times every 10-15 minutes. In my opinion - complete nonsense! Moreover, I have not seen a single confirming photograph of this experiment.
Tips on how to grow parsley root and celery.
Leaf parsley has beautiful leaves that can be used to decorate flower beds and garden design. The leaves are smooth curly, corrugated. The leaf parsley root is thin and strongly branched.
Parsley is an unpretentious spicy herb, but still grows better:
- on a well-lit garden,
- with fertilized, loose soil,
- for the root - with a deep arable layer,
- Do not plant this plant in places where other umbrella crops, such as celery, carrots, dill, cilantro, cumin, have previously grown. Only after 4 years it will be possible to plant parsley after these predecessors, therefore we make a parsley bed with these recommendations taken into account.
How beautiful to plant parsley.
Thanks to its beautiful curly leaves and long, to the very frost, the preservation of bright green parsley can be used as an ornamental plant. It can decorate flowerbeds or plant on the edge of raised beds. Also, the green parsley leaves look beautiful in flowerpots. In addition, the parsley can be cut, and then it grows back and you can collect several harvests of spicy herbs.
Parsley is the most delicious and healthy herb, which is so widely used as seasoning, for cooking various dishes. Also, it is very well used in medicine, serves as the best healer in traditional medicine and not only. Not only leaves are used, but also parsley root. It grows almost every gardener on the site. You can choose seeds in the store for gardeners, where you can pick up the variety that you like best among a large selection. Each package on the reverse side says when it will rise and what are its flavor characteristics.
Planting and growing parsley
This cultivated plant can be sown as at the end of summer, so that next year it will give a good crop of root crops and also greens or in spring to eat this useful greens during the summer. It can be planted as soon as the frosts end, and the earth warms up sufficiently. Before sowing the seeds of parsley, you need to prepare a small plot of land on which you want to plant it. Make grooves with a small distance between them. Sowing the seeds as close as possible to each other, this is done so that the parsley will rise very often and thickly, and cover it with the same ground, so that the seeds are not very deep in the ground. After you have planted the seeds, you definitely need to pour a little water on it.
It is best to cover the seedlings with polyethylene so that the seeds will ascend as quickly as possible. After the first sprouts sprout polyethylene must be removed. Then it is not very often to water it, but it is also not worth drying out the soil, since it will then taste bitter and the taste qualities will not be top notch. Be sure to loosen between the grooves and weed, so as not overgrown with weeds. As soon as the parsley grows at least 10-12 cm, it can already be eaten and cook a variety of dishes. This will happen around the middle of June, as parsley is growing very quickly.
Harvesting and storage
Since parsley is a biennial plant, in the first year only the leaves should be removed, cut off with scissors, and in the second year, it is also necessary to remove the roots. should be removed long before the onset of the first frost, it is best to do in late August. Since parsley is very afraid of frost, while it loses most of its useful vitamins and presentation. The cut leaves are tied into bunches and dried, and then finely ground or ground, to be added later in food as spices. Some cut the leaves finely, add salt and put them tightly in jars and keep them in the fridge, but in this form they are not stored for a very long time for up to 150 days.
In addition to its main purpose, parsley can bring some benefits. Let's look at what it is.
- If you plant greens around the perimeter of the beds, it will help from the invasion of slugs.
- Due to the decorativeness of leaves, these greens are often sown in balcony boxes or garden vases, combining with a variety of flowers.
- To preserve the freshness of the leaves longer, they are recommended to be put in a vinegar solution for half an hour, half diluted with water.
- Parsley is not a particularly moisture-loving plant, but when the weather is too dry, the growth of its leaves begins to slow down, they become rough. But at the same time the leaves become more fragrant, as they replenish the stock of essential oils.
- When the summer season is over, you can dig up a few green bushes, transplant them into pots and take them with you to the apartment. In this case, you can enjoy fresh greens in the winter.
- This plant is a good helper of your health. Greens can help with viral diseases and flu. Also parsley is quite effective in the fight against kidney disease. It uses parsley root, which is boiled in milk.
Now you know how to use these greens, and what useful properties it has.
Recommendations for growing
For the successful cultivation of fragrant greens we recommend that you familiarize yourself with a number of tips..
- Culture must be sown in the period from early spring to late summer. Seeds can germinate at an air temperature of +4 degrees. Greens will grow best on a well-lit place in a loose and fertile soil with an acidity of 5.5 to 6.7 pH. It is recommended to use ashes or any potash fertilizers as top dressings.
- If you are going to sow seeds in spring or early summer, it is recommended to soak them for a couple of hours in zircon. While soaking, you can use cotton pads to remove makeup. In October or November, it is possible to carry out subwinter seeding with the help of dry seeds.
- During planting the soil should not be dry, but not too wet.
- Seeds are laid in the ground shallow, about 1 cm. For the first time after sowing, the plant can be covered with lutrasil. If you want the shoots to appear sooner, it is allowed to warm the crops with glass or film, and after the first shoots appear, they are covered with Lutrasil.
- If you are sowing greens on a separate bed, it is best to do it in rows. You do not need to adhere to a certain distance. As soon as the entrances grow up, they can begin to thin out, cutting off the greens in the salad.
- Parsley can be planted between rows of any vegetable plants. The only exception is carrots, since parsley is not friendly with it. It is also allowed to sow a crop along the edges of the furrows with potatoes, of course, only after its final hilling.
- Greenery, planted in the form of a border or edging relative to other annual plants and flowers, will look quite impressive and beautiful. In the containers among gardeners, parsley is one of the most commonly used seasonings. Therefore, it can be planted in different containers and pots in combination with other spicy herbs. Thus, you can get a small kitchen garden, which will give different types of greenery to the table throughout the season.
- Parsley is not particularly well with dill, carrots, parsnips, celery, cumin, cilantro, so the culture is not recommended to plant in the garden, where these plants previously grew.
- The main pests of greenery are the whitefly butterfly and the Machaon caterpillar. Therefore, it is regularly necessary to check crops for the presence of these pests, and, upon detecting caterpillars, it is necessary to collect them manually and destroy them. To get rid of the whitefly, it is necessary to apply dusting with ashes and tobacco dust in one-to-one correspondence. You can also use a sprinkle of household soap or tar soap.
- When the parsley has grown, it is cut with scissors, starting with the outer leaves. This greens can be used not only in fresh form, parsley is able to maintain its quality in dried and frozen form.
By adhering to these simple recommendations, you can harvest a good harvest.
Acceleration of seed germination
Parsley is one of the favorite plants of many Russian gardeners. It is difficult to find a garden where there is no such plant.
Parsley can be leafy, root and curly. Green seeds must be planted in open ground or seedlings, it is allowed to plant even at home on the windowsill. This greens will be perfectly combined as a base with other salads., but most often it is used as seasoning.
Often this greens are grown for beauty in a flower bed. But some may have minor difficulties with growing a crop. In order for the greens to quickly grow, it is necessary to observe several growing and planting conditions. So, consider how to plant parsley, so that it quickly rose.
This crop can grow on almost all types of soil, but it prefers loose, fertile soil.. Parsley can grow both in the sun and in the shade. But in order to seedlings appear faster, it is recommended to plant the seeds in a sunny place. Despite the fact that the greens are not particularly fond of moisture, it is still necessary to remember to water it.
As mentioned earlier, the greens will grow poorly on the soil after cumin, dill and carrots. If on your site these crops grew, parsley in their place can be planted, usually in the fourth year. Best of all, the culture will feel itself on the soil where onions, cucumbers or tomatoes used to grow.
If we talk about seedlings, the culture can be planted as early as March or April.. It is recommended to plant seeds in open ground during warmer months; the ideal time will be the beginning or middle of May. The period from the first shoots to mature greenery is about 80 days.
To get the first harvest, you need some patience. Harvesting takes place from May to October, depending on the time of planting. For example, if you planted greens in May, the harvest can be collected at the end of July.
The best varieties of parsley are the following:
- Morning freshness
- Delicate scent
It is these varieties most often planted in the suburban areas.
To speed up the germination process, before planting the seeds are recommended to soak in water for one night. Thus, the planting material is adapted to planting in the ground.
Sowing in open ground
The culture can be planted in the open ground seedlings or seeds. We will consider with you how to plant greens with the help of seeds in open ground.
- It is necessary to make a good bed, after which the soil is carefully digged, loosened.
- The second stage involves the formation of grooves for planting seeds. But planting material can also be sown in separate wells. Furrows must be made along the entire length of the bed, the distance between them should be from 3 to 5 cm, depth - 2 cm.
- Next, you need to start planting parsley. Seeds of greens are very small, like carrots, so they should be thrown into the furrows in several pieces.
- After sowing the furrow, it is necessary to cover with a layer of soil, equal to the bed. On this landing parsley over.
- After planting, the culture is closed with a special material. This is done so that throughout the entire growth period moisture is preserved, and greens grow faster.
- Do not forget about the timely watering of greenery and weeding the beds from weeds.
When the crop appears, it must be cut to the very root of several bushes.
Of course, it is best to use fresh parsley. Its recommended eat immediately after cutting. But if you have a rich harvest, it is allowed to freeze. At the same time freezing does not affect the taste, color and beneficial properties of parsley.
To freeze the leaves and stems must be finely chopped, put in a plastic bag or plastic container and send to the freezer. While cooking the soup, you just need to get it out of the freezer and add it to the dish.
Quite effectively on your beds will look curly varieties of parsley. But the best use of this green is still using it in salads and soups. The aroma of this culture hides something unusual, so grow it and feel the magic of parsley. Following the above scheme and advice, you can easily grow parsley in your summer cottage and get a good harvest.