Plant pest control takes a lot of strength from gardeners, sometimes without bringing the desired result. Today we will talk about folk remedies for pest control, time-tested, which really will give results and benefits to garden crops.
The gardener needs to save the plants and protect them from pests that are not small. Everyone knows such species: moths, aphids, butterflies and their caterpillars, fleas, moths, moths, ticks and many others.
All gardeners first of all try to get an environmentally friendly product from their plots; therefore, traditional remedies will help in the fight against pests and fit the plants as best as possible and will not harm the human body.
Get rid of plant pests folk remedies
The main thing is to be in time, to process the plants even during the initial stage of pest development. Then the folk remedies will help. But when there are too many pests, only the application of plant protection chemicals can help. Therefore, watch your plants and start processing in a timely manner.
Pest wireworm - description
What does the wire eat? Wireworms are multifarious. They destroy seeds, sprouts, roots and even the stems of plants. Wireworms bore tubers and roots, eating out passages and making them practically unsuitable for storage and consumption. What does the wire look like? The length of the worm wireworm reaches from 10 to 50 mm. These larvae have a thin and solid body, the color of which varies from dark brown to yellow. Crush the wireworm is almost impossible. The development cycle of a nutcracker lasts 5 years, the wireworm larva develops 3-4 years. In the first year, the larva feeds on the underground part of the plant, but does not cause significant damage to it. A dangerous pest wire becomes the second year of life, and in the fourth year the larva pupates and in the spring an adult click beetle appears from the pupa.
How to deal with wireworm.
If you can easily cope with other insects with the help of insecticidal or acaricidal preparations, you will have to tinker with the wireworm. How to destroy the wireworm? Wireworm lives in the soil, and it is not easy to get to it. The fight against the wireworm at the site should be carried out by all possible measures in the complex, that is, using agrotechnical, mechanical and chemical methods.
Agrotechnical measures against wireworms include:
- - deep spring digging of the soil with careful destruction of larvae, pupae and click beetles, as well as weeds, in particular, the rhizomes of the couch grass and willow,
- - compliance with crop rotation. For example, planting potatoes against beans and peas,
- - sowing sideratov, scaring wireworms. Siderats from wireworms, such as mustard, lupine, vetch or alfalfa, are effective.
- - sowing potato salad in between rows, the roots of which are eaten by wireworms,
- - deep autumn digging or dumping plowing of the soil before the first frost, allowing to reduce the number of wireworms by 50-90%.
Funds from the wireworm (drugs).
The wireworms can be spoiled by the wireworm and 3-4 superphosphate granules treated with an insecticide can be spread out into each well. For the treatment using such preparations from the wireworm as Aktellik, Karate or Detsis. The superphosphate is scattered in a thin layer and sprayed on the granules with a solution prepared according to the following recipe: Actellic (or another insecticide) - 15 ml, water - 80 ml, acetone - 200 ml.
When the number of wireworms can not be regulated by any other means, it is necessary to resort to the use of highly toxic drug Basudin or slightly less dangerous for warm-blooded Diazinon. The prestige preparation from the wireworm and the Colorado potato beetle also reduces the number of pests more than twofold, and it is not as harmful as Bazudin. Prototox from the wireworm does not cause addiction to the pest, has low toxicity to humans, is harmless to earthworms and has a long duration. In addition to the listed chemical preparations, such anti-wireworm agents are used, such as Thunder-2, Kapkan, Zemlin, Aktara, Force, Metarizin and Dokhloks. But whatever insecticide you choose, it can only be used in strict accordance with the instructions.
Fighting wireworm folk remedies
Since the use of chemicals in the fight against pests can harm human health, it is desirable to resort to them as little as possible. It is better to use time-tested folk remedies from the wireworm. The fight with the wireworm at the site is conducted by such methods:
- - the best vegetable remedy for wireworms - infusion of celandine, which is watered the soil on the site,
- - sprinkle inter-row sprinkles with wood ash, and from this the larvae of the click beetle die,
- - good results are obtained by introducing nitrogen fertilizers containing ammonium into the soil, or by irrigating the area with ammonia water. Ammonium salts are not only a means of getting rid of wireworms, but also nitrogen fertilizing of root crops,
- - lime applied to the soil from the wireworm used for soil deoxidation significantly reduces the number of larvae in it. In addition to hydrated lime, coal ash, chalk and dolomite flour can be applied to the soil once every 3-4 years,
- - one of the most inexpensive, but effective means is the ground eggshell, which is scattered throughout the site,
- - for wireworms, the baits are laid in the form of pieces of beet, carrot or oilcake in pits of a depth of 7-15 cm, which are covered with a piece of plywood or iron on top. It is possible to use under-ripened straw, grass or hay as bait. The wireworms accumulated in the pits after 3-4 days are burned. Lures begin to lay a week or two before planting root crops and continue to lay them out throughout the summer. And how to deal with the wireworm in the fall? The larvae are lured into pieces of manure or bundles of straw laid out on the site, and with the first frost the bait is collected together with the larvae and destroyed,
- - If you grow potatoes or roots in alkaline or neutral soil, the treatment of the wire from the wireworm before planting the solution of potassium permanganate (5 g per 10 l of water) at the rate of half a liter of solution per well will help protect the plants. In acidic soil, the solution can burn the roots of seedlings, so instead of treating the holes with potassium permanganate solution, place each handful of onion peel or conifer needles.
Wireworm - preventive treatment
To permanently get rid of the wireworm, you need not only to destroy it, but also to annually carry out preventive measures that will no longer allow it to appear on your site. These activities include:
- - a change of place for growing a crop at least once every 2-3 years,
- - conducting annual spring and especially autumn digging of the site to the depth of the spade bayonet. Raised from the depths of the soil during autumn digging, the larvae will die of cold in winter, and spring tillage will allow the soil to be cleared from the roots of the weeds that feed the wireworms,
- - loosening of the soil on the site in May-June, in order for the nutcracker eggs to hit the surface, where they will die from the sun's rays,
- - regular weeding of the plot, carried out to clean the soil from wheat grass and other weeds. If the situation with weeds is critical, use Roundup to destroy it,
- - keep the area clean, clean grass and tops in the fall, in which the wireworm beetle likes to spend the winter comfortably,
- - to scare away click beetles, you can grow marigolds, the scent of which attracts pests, despite the fact that the juice of these plants is poison for them. The wireworm in the garden is afraid of leguminous plants (black beans, soybeans, peas, and beans), since bacteria that release nitrogen in their roots live. To enhance the effect, you can sow together with legumes phacelia, neutralizing acidic soil,
- - the wire at the site does not like such plants as mustard, colza, buckwheat, spinach, sweet clover, rapeseed and oilseed radish, so once every 2-3 years in a line with potatoes or root vegetables that feed the wireworms, you need to sow any of listed cultures. In this case, the larvae will either die or, if they become beetles, leave the site,
- - those who used rye from wireworms claim that it not only does not deter pests, but, on the contrary, attracts them. In addition, this crop takes too much moisture from the soil, so it’s better to grow other plants as a siderata,
- - a very effective way to fight wireworms is to treat the surface of a plot with table salt once every seven years (not more often).
Well, and advice to those who have just started to cultivate a piece of land: there are many wireworms in virgin soil, therefore in the first years, until you pick out all the larvae and all weed roots, potatoes and roots in the plot are better not to grow. Plant while legumes, solanaceous or pumpkin crops.
Wireworm in potatoes.
If the issue of the number of larvae of nutcrack on the potato site has become very acute, you need to get rid of the pest with all available means. How to get rid of wireworm on potatoes? We described to you how to protect the garden from the appearance of a crack on it by preventive measures, but if the wire in the potato field still appeared and began to spoil the tubers, immediately proceed to unfolding the baits and traps along the plot: put shredded carrots and beets in a shallow hole and than any trap cover. You can dig into the ground on the neck, one for each m² of a half-liter jar with pieces of root crops and cover them. After 2-3 days, remove the jars from the ground and destroy the larvae that have gathered in them.
What is this pest
The wire received its name due to the stiffness of the integument and the external similarity with the wire segment. This is not an insect, but the larva of the beetle beetle. By itself, he is not able to harm the roots, but his offspring causes great damage.
The larva lives about 3-4 years. Therefore, if the site is affected by these pests, individuals of different ages are in the ground. In the first year of life, the larvae are not able to cause significant damage to the crop due to their low activity. They spend the cold season at a depth of up to 30 cm. By the beginning of the warm season they increase in size, the chitinous shell becomes even more dense and acquires a bright yellow color.
What the wire looks like
There are several types of click beetles. The most malicious pests are dark, striped and steppe. The color of the larvae of these insects varies from light yellow to dark brown. Their sexual characteristics are undeveloped.
Depending on the species of beetles, the color and proportion of the body of the female and male larvae may differ.
Wireworm attributed to the class of oligopodial. These larvae have a long worm-shaped body covered with a chitinous shell. Consist of a head, 3 pectoral and 9 abdominal segments. On the head are three-pointed antennae. The upper jaws are powerful, sickle-shaped. The lower ones are a dense plate. The greatest growth rate is observed in the first two years of life.
The larva reaches a length of 50 mm. These are adult individuals with a hard and durable shell, which is almost impossible to crush. The wireworm is greedy, most active in the evening.
What harm does the larva plants
The wireworm gnaws round, long and winding passages in the pulp of tubers. Such a root crop soon decays, and the death of its ground part — the bush — is possible.
The wireworm destroys not only the roots, it is multifarious and eats seeds, roots, near-earth part of the stems
By the nature of the damage, two groups of wireworms are distinguished:
- Preferred cereals, eating seeds and roots of plants. This group includes all the larvae of beetles of the genus Agriotes. Hence their second name is “cereal nutcrackers”. They can also damage vegetable crops, but less intensively than representatives of the second group.
- Prefer underground parts of plants: roots, roots, seed material. These are beetles of the genera Seletosomus, Melanotus, etc. Their larvae are able to penetrate into the cavity of the stems and rise up above the ground level. Such pests are most dangerous for corn, tobacco, vegetables and melons.
Signs of damage to the roots and tubers of plants, including potatoes, pest
Having detected the presence of a pest, it is necessary to decide how to get rid of the wireworm most quickly and efficiently.
The fact that the wire was wound up on the site can be understood by several signs:
- Low germination of bulbous plants.
- Young seedlings die soon after they are planted or planted.
- Holes appear in the roots and tubers, and the passages of the worms are clearly visible in the section. These cavities are populated by fungi and bacteria, which further leads to decay.
Traps and lures
There are several options for making traps for click-beetle larvae:
- In places with signs of plant damage, a wireworm every 50–100 cm is dipped into the ground by ½ large potatoes, put on a strong branch or splinter. It is enough to bury the root crop to a depth of 10–15 cm. Every 2–3 days it is removed, the wireworms are removed and, if necessary, replaced with a new potato.
Quite a common way to deal with wireworm
- Every 1–2 m, 250–500 ml glass or cans are buried in the ground. The bait is put into the container: potato pieces, beets, carrots. Banks must be immersed in the soil on the neck. Regularly check the tank, remove the larvae and replace the used bait with a new one.
- Manure mixed with potato tops and straw is laid out throughout the plot. Soon these traps will be filled with nearby maggots. After 5–7 days, the handfuls clean, destroy and lay out new ones. So do throughout the vegetative season.
- A good bait for the wireworm is thick, left over from homemade kvass. It is placed in any thin fabric (for example, in a nylon stocking) and buried near the beds. After 2-3 days inspect, remove pests and again buried. The location of the traps marked with pegs.
Watering with the biological preparation "Nemabakt"
During the period of maturation of the crop, the use of preparations on an organic basis is permissible. One of them is Nemabact. It is applied under the bushes of potatoes and other crops. It is also possible to water the preparation with the preparation during the period of planting the seed. Any of these methods reduces the number of wireworm colonies by 90%.
Nemabak is a bioinsecticide made on the basis of entomopathogenic nematodes with the addition of bacteria harmful for wireworm larvae.
Nematodes are grown in the laboratory and at the final stage bacteria are added to them. After that, foam rubber is impregnated with this solution and packed in packages. One package is enough to handle 1 weave. A similar effect has a related "Nematode" drug - "Entogem." These pest control agents differ only in the type of bacteria ingested by nematodes.
For the preparation of bioinsecticidal means will be required:
- sieve or colander with small holes,
- 12 l bucket,
- tool for mixing the solution: ladle, stick, branch, metal bar,
- wear gloves
- set on a bucket colander or sieve,
- pour the contents of the package into a colander or sieve,
- water is poured at the rate of 10 liters per pack,
- try to rinse the foam rubber impregnated with bioinsecticide as best as possible.
Mode of application:
- mix the solution in the bucket and fill the watering can,
- watering the soil under the bushes at the rate of 0.5 l per 5 m 2.
Maintain high soil moisture
The larvae of the beetle beetle easily move in the thickness of the soil only under favorable conditions. Those for them are 50% soil moisture and its temperature in the range of 20–25 ° C. During the drought, wireworm colonies are looking for wetter places at a depth of 100 cm or are dying. If you systematically re-moisten the soil, the movement of the larvae will be difficult, and they will begin to climb, crawling to the surface of the soil. Here they are collected and destroyed, immersed in gasoline.
Crop rotation as a preventive measure is the correct alternation of crops and their neighborhood. To do this, just follow a few rules:
- Potatoes are planted in the same place after 1-2 years.
- They buy high-quality seeds without pests.
- It is desirable that seed tubers are pre-treated.
- For planting potatoes in large fields, seed treatment is carried out with the help of special equipment: a screw treater PSSh-3, a universal treater of PU-3, a chamber treater of PS-10.
- In the place where the potatoes grew last season, legumes are planted in the new one: peas, beans, lentils, soybeans.
- Comply with planting density recommended by seed manufacturers.
Согласно принятым стандартам, картофелины, в которых имеется до 3-х ходов проволочника, допустимо использовать в качестве семенного материала. But the number of such tubers should not exceed 2% of the total.
Digging and manual pest picking
In small areas, annual autumn digging of the ground to a depth of 25–30 cm is performed with the extraction of detected pests. In spring, the larvae tend to climb closer to the surface of the soil, in the zone of positive temperatures. During this period, carry out a shallow digging, extract and destroy pests.
Special preparations have been developed for presowing seed treatment: Aktara, Prestige, Aktellik, Aktofit. Etching is an important part of protective measures, but does not exclude the use of other methods to combat wireworm.
Small batches of seed material are treated with solutions of the listed preparations. For these purposes, the use of a knapsack sprayer is most effective, but it is also suitable for manual use. Drugs diluted with water in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
Infusion of nettle and dandelion
In the fight against wireworms, you can use decoctions of herbs that are able to protect the seed and scare away pests. Preparing drugs is easy:
- 0.5 kg of nettle insist in 10 liters of water for 3 days,
- They do the same with dandelion, but in the case of it, 200–250 g of plant material is required.
Adding to the eggshells hole
Shredded eggshells are a good deterrent for wireworms. Small grains scatter on the surface of the soil or added to the wells when planting crops. This method of dealing with wireworms has long been used in small private farms and is effective.
Siderats and legumes that scare wireworms
The following plants have the strongest scaring effect for the wireworm:
Rye is a siderat effective for pest control, including wireworm. In addition, it is able to saturate the soil with substances useful for plants, heal it, loosen it, and suppress the growth of weeds. Sowing rye produced in late autumn, after harvest. The optimal consumption of seeds - 2 kg per 1 hundred. Siderat rises in the spring, growing and gaining a green mass. After 1.5–2 months, they mow and dig it.
Phacelia - a fast-growing, unpretentious annual plant with a powerful root system. Thanks to it, the soil is loosened to a depth of 20–25 cm. The plant is highly winter-resistant. During growth, it releases substances that disinfect the soil, normalize its acidity and are harmful to pests.
Phacelia is not demanding on the quality of the soil
Lupine blue - a representative of the genus legumes. By its ability to saturate the soil with nutrients, it is equal to manure and other organic fertilizers. It has the ability to extract nitrogen from the air and accumulate it in itself. After digging gives all the nutrients to the soil.
In a powerful root system of a plant, bacteria that multiply activity against wireworm multiply. During the drought period, lupine blue should be watered regularly. Sowing is done in late spring or autumn. Seed consumption - 1.5–2 kg per 1 sq.m. Mowed and dug up after 45–50 days after emergence of shoots.
Mustard belongs to the category of phytosanitary plants. Most effective when co-planting with sideratami. It has a strong root system, the length of which can reach 2–3 m. Protects the soil from water and wind corrosion.
It has a high winter hardiness, is able to germinate at 0 ° C
Mustard is planted in early spring, no less than a month before planting the main garden crops. The soil before planting siderata loosened. Mow the green mass 40–50 days after germination. Carefully digging 2-3 times.
Liming is an effective agrotechnical method of reducing the number of larvae. There are 2 ways:
- Autumn lime treatment of the area affected by the wireworm. With meltwater, the disinfectant will penetrate into the ground, and the pests will leave this place. The best choice is dolomite flour. Liming in this way is carried out once every 3-4 years.
Uncomplicated and effective way is popular among gardeners
- The introduction of lime in the wells when planting tomatoes and potatoes. The optimum consumption is 25–30 g per 1 m 2.
The introduction of ammonium nitrate and ammonium sulfate
It should be remembered that ammonium nitrate and ammonium sulfate can not be used in combination with lime. Choose one, the most acceptable method of tillage against wireworm. Chemicals (ammonium nitrate and ammonium sulfate) contribute at the rate of 25 g per 1 m 2. The optimal time for tillage is 15–30 days after planting crops. It is recommended to use an effective drug against wireworm - "Basudin" at the same time.
Early tuber harvest and weed control
The wireworm prefers places overgrown with wheat grass and willow tea. It is necessary to regularly remove these weeds, not letting them grow. The most difficult struggle with wheatgrass. This plant has a powerful branched root system. To get rid of wheatgrass, they dig up the area and manually remove all weed roots. It is important and time to remove ripe tubers. This reduces the risk of wireworm injury.
Video: How to deal with wireworm
In the fight against wireworm is an integrated approach. It is necessary to choose some of the most effective and acceptable in a particular situation methods, and consistently implement them. This technique will certainly give a positive result.
The remedy for the Colorado potato beetle Prestige
Prestige is difficult to attribute to any group of chemical plant protection products. This is due to the fact that it is capable of destroying not only beetles, but also protects potatoes from many diseases and increases its resistance to adverse environmental factors (Figure 1).
Prestige has such properties:
- Insecticidal: after processing the tubers, the potato becomes resistant to major pests (Colorado and May beetles, midges, etc.),
- Fungicidal: after processing, planting material acquires immunity against major potato diseases, such as scab, rot, rust and powdery mildew,
- Anti-stress: Pretreatment treatment of tubers allows to increase their resistance to adverse environmental factors (lack of moisture, temperature drops, etc.). This accelerates plant growth and the development of tubers.
In addition, the harvest gathered from the beds treated with Prestige has a more attractive presentation. At the same time, the chemical itself does not accumulate in the potato, so the crop can be considered absolutely safe for human health.
How does Prestige work?
The composition of the drug includes two active components that protect tubers from diseases and pests.
To prevent the development of fungal diseases, pencycuron, a pesticide, has been included in the product, which is aimed at preventing the development of fungi. In order to prevent the invasion of pests, Imidacloprid is included in the Prestige, which belongs to insecticides and has a contact-intestinal action. This chemical enters the digestive tract of insects with food, affects the nervous system and causes paralysis, and behind it - and the complete death of the pest.
Note: Prestige Chemical is considered unusual because it is not sprayed on the surface of grown-up tops, but is used to pickle the tubers before planting. In the future, the active substances from the potato will be distributed to all parts of the plant as it grows. The poison is able to penetrate not only through the digestive tract of the Colorado beetles, but also through their chitinous membrane. This feature and provokes almost instantaneous death of pests.
It is also important that the substance retains its effectiveness for 40 days after treatment, therefore, it destroys not only old individuals that overwintered in the ground, but also young insects hatched from the laid eggs. Such a long-term effect is only in the insecticidal component of the product, whereas the chemical, aimed at protection from diseases, retains its effectiveness during the entire period of the growing season.
Despite the fact that the chemical is concentrated in tubers, which are used for planting, at the time of harvest it is completely removed from new potatoes, so the crop is considered environmentally friendly and safe for health.
Instructions for use of the Prestige of the Colorado potato beetle
The instructions for use include all the necessary information about the use of the Prestige for potato dressing before planting. If you have not bought this tool, you can always read this information in our article.
The manufacturer recommends that you strictly adhere to the dosages and chemical consumption rates. Only in this case, the use of the herbicide will be effective, and the harvest from the treated beds will be completely safe for human health.
Security measures in the processing of potatoes
Prestige refers to drugs of class 3 toxicity. This means that it is safe for human health, birds and animals, but certain precautions when using it are still worth it.
Note: Practically all modern pesticides belong to the third class of toxicity. Such drugs do not harm the environment and the soil, and are relatively safe for human health. Symptoms of poisoning can occur only if the chemical or its working solution gets inside the body.
To prevent chemical poisoning, you must strictly adhere to personal safety measures when working with the drug. Firstly, even before working with a substance, it is necessary to put on tight protective clothing, gloves and a mask. It is necessary that the chemical does not accidentally get on the skin, mucous membranes or inside the body.
Secondly, during the preparation of the working solution or during spraying, you should not eat, smoke or drink, because in this way the chemical can get into the respiratory tract and digestive organs, causing symptoms of poisoning.
In addition, after processing you need to wash all the clothes and take a shower. If this is not possible, you should thoroughly wash your face and hands with soap and rinse your mouth and nose with clean water.
Since potato tubers are processed in the process of working with Prestige, the processing area should be covered with film or other dense material, then the potatoes should be spread out and processed. After that, the solution should dry, and the planting material should be moved to the beds in plastic bags.
How to breed Prestige from the Colorado potato beetle
The dosage of the Prestige depends on the method of processing and the type of planting material. If you are going to spray already sprouted potatoes, you need to dilute 50 ml of concentrate in 3 liters of water. If the potatoes are only going to be germinated, you will need a mixture of 25 ml of the chemical diluted in 0.5 liters of water (Figure 2).
After adding the drug to the water, the resulting mixture should be thoroughly mixed so that all components are dissolved. After that, the ready working solution can be poured into the container with a sprayer and proceed to processing.
In addition, the chemical can be used to protect pests of other cultivated plants from pests. To do this, prepare a solution of 10 ml of the drug, diluted in a liter of water. Roots of seedlings are treated with this mixture, allowed to dry and planted in open ground.
Figure 2. Dosage of the drug
When using Prestige to protect potatoes from the Colorado potato beetle, it is important to bear in mind that the drug is completely removed from the tubers in about two months. Therefore, it can only be used for processing varieties ripening in August. Early potatoes, the crop of which is harvested in June, cannot be processed by Prestige, since the drug will not have time to get out of the tubers before harvesting.
How to process potatoes
A certain technology exists not only for preparing a working solution, but also for direct spraying of planting material (Figure 3).
Proper processing of potatoes Prestige is as follows:
- Polyethylene film or other dense material that is not permeable to moisture is laid out on the ground or another flat surface.
- On the film is laid potatoes. It is advisable to lay out the tubers in a single layer, so that all planting material is evenly treated with a chemical.
- Prepared tubers are sprayed from the sprayer, trying to get the liquid to settle on each potato. To increase the effectiveness of the drug and carry out a uniform treatment, you can first spray one side of the potato, then let it dry, turn the tubers over and repeat the spraying.
After drying means tubers can be planted in the ground. This should be done with gloves so that the chemical does not get on the skin. If you need to transport planting material to the garden, it should be placed in a film or film bags that are not used for storing or transporting food.
How to store the drug
Chemical plant protection products are important to keep properly, and Prestige is no exception. The shelf life of the drug is 2 years. During this time, the components of the product do not lose their effectiveness, but for this you need to strictly follow the recommendations for storage.
First of all, it is important to adhere to the temperature regime. The optimum range for the chemical is from -20 to +40 degrees. If you deviate from these indicators Prestige may lose its effectiveness.
Despite the fact that the drug belongs to the third class of toxicity and is considered relatively safe, it should not be stored near drinking water or food. It is also necessary to keep the product away from children, animals and combustible materials. All these requirements apply to the concentrate itself, and not to the working solution of the chemical. If you have prepared the mixture for processing, but have not consumed all the liquid, it is not recommended to store it for the future. Firstly, the working solution will quickly lose its effectiveness, and secondly, storing a chemical diluted in water can be potentially dangerous to health.
Prestige from the Colorado potato beetle: a comparison with other poisons
Since there are many drugs on the market aimed at combating insect pests, and Prestige is one of the most expensive chemicals, it is worth determining what advantages it has in comparison with other drugs.
First of all, two active ingredients are included in the product at once, and the liquid itself is highly concentrated, therefore, the effectiveness of its use is at a very high level.
Secondly, only one preplant treatment of tubers significantly simplifies the labor costs of caring for the crop in the future. Since the product contains components whose action is directed not only against insects, but also certain diseases, you will not have to constantly check whether pests or diseases have appeared in the beds. In addition, after the treatment of tubers by Prestige, you will not have to additionally buy chemicals and carry out spraying against Colorado beetles and fungal diseases.
Thirdly, the tool increases plant resistance to stressful conditions. This means that the yield of potatoes will be quite high even with a lack of moisture or temperature drops, and the tubers will have a good presentation.
In addition, the high cost of the Prestige is quite justified by the fact that this drug is universal. It perfectly protects the garden, not only from the Colorado potato beetle, but also other dangerous pests (aphids, wireworms, midges, thrips, etc.).
It should also be borne in mind that the drug has minimal toxicity, and its validity period ends in 2 months. By this time, the drug is completely removed from tubers and other parts of the plant and dissolves in the soil, not accumulating in new potatoes or soil. However, it is important to bear in mind that all these advantages of Prestige over other chemicals will be relevant only if you buy the original drug from the manufacturer. Unfortunately, there are quite a few fakes on the market, so buying chemicals is better from the official representatives of the manufacturer, or in specialized gardening shops.
More information about using the tool can be found in the video.
The composition of the drug
The instructions for use indicate that this is a drug of the third class of toxicity, that is, it is considered moderately dangerous. The main active ingredients are imidacloprid (140 g / l) and pencycuron (150 g / l).
Imidacloprid has a destructive effect on insects, blocking nerve impulses at the level of membrane receptors. Its influence is primarily aimed at protecting the green part of the plant from gnawing and sucking insects, and it almost does not fall into the tubers.
Penticuron inhibits the germination of fungi and inhibits their supply of nutrients, stops the internal processes.
Both substances have a contact action and are destroyed in 40-50 days. Поэтому растение защищено от насекомых и грибков на протяжении всего роста, но к моменту выкапывания клубней вредные вещества полностью распадаются. Производитель уверенно указывает, что использовать в пищу картофель, обработанный "Престижем", полностью безопасно для здоровья. According to research scientists, from harmful substances that are part of the "Prestige", there is not a trace already on the 50th day after landing.
But many do not recommend using Prestige when nurturing early potato varieties, because toxic substances simply do not have time to decompose in such a short period. It is also best not to eat new potatoes treated with this drug.
Compatibility with other means
Before using the "Prestige" with other means of protection - fungicides, insecticides, pesticides or plant growth stimulants, be sure to check their compatibility. To do this, mix a small amount of both means and check for the presence of sediment. If it appears, then these drugs can not be used simultaneously.
Potatoes before planting
When using the "Prestige" When processing potatoes before planting, remember a few rules:
- Before you start processing, you need to prepare all the tools and materials,
- must adhere to the rules of security and personal protection,
- prepare planting material
- Do not use the solution on the cut tubers,
- dilute the drug only in the right quantity, stored and used later.
"Prestige" should be diluted in a ratio of 1 to 10, that is, for example, 20 ml per 200 ml of water. The manufacturer claims that 1 kg of potatoes need 1 ml of the drug. The solution is prepared only on the day of planting, it can not be stored and used later, so you need to correctly calculate the required amount.
Seed material should be prepared beforehand.. Potatoes must be germinated and heated, intact and dry. Mix freshly prepared solution. It can be applied by spraying using a knapsack or hand sprayer, then the concentration of the solution should be maximized. If there is a small amount of potatoes, then the tubers can be simply dipped completely into the solution, previously placed in a net or sack. In this case, the solution can be made slightly weaker, in the ratio of 1:20.
If potato planters are used, then treatment of the tubers with the Prestige solution can be done directly in the bunker. But it is better to sprinkle potatoes on the film in one or two layers, but not more, and carefully spray the product. Tubers should be well processed, not less than 75% of the surface, they can be turned over for better wetting. Processing is done about two hours before planting to allow the potatoes to dry.
Processed in this way, the potatoes are poured into plastic bags and transported to the landing site. Thanks to this treatment, on tubers infections and dangerous microorganisms are destroyed, and they are well protected during germination. Existing components of the "Prestige" protect the treated and planted tubers and green tops, and do not fall into the young.
Processing seedlings of other cultures
The drug "Prestige" has proven itself in the protection of seedlings of tomatoes, eggplant, cabbage and pepper. With the right approach, seedlings are not afraid of pests for a month. The solution is made weaker than for potatoes, based on the proportion of 100 ml of water per 1 ml of the preparation. The roots are immersed in the solution for 8 hours and immediately planted into the ground.
When planting trees and fruit shrubs, a solution is poured into the well (10 ml of water is taken for 2 ml of Prestige). To protect cucumbers, pumpkins, melons, watermelons, zucchini - watered the soil (10 ml of the product diluted in 10 liters of water).
"Prestige" should be stored at a temperature of from -5 to +30 degrees in a room where there is no food, water and medicines, out of the reach of children and animals.
The drug "Prestige" is very easy to use, its effectiveness in crop protection is verified, the main thing is to adhere to the instructions and safety rules. It does not cause any harm to beneficial insects and the environment.
Although there are fakes in the market, the manufacturer took care to protect the authenticity of its products. The label must indicate the method of application in the state language of the country. Erasing a special protective layer, you can verify the authenticity via SMS or the Internet.
Tired of pest control?
At the cottage or in the apartment cockroaches, mice or other pests started? They need to fight! They are carriers of serious diseases: salmonellosis, rabies.
Many summer residents are faced with pests that destroy the crop and damage the plants.
In such cases, our readers recommend using the latest invention - Pest Reject repeller.
It has the following properties:
- Eliminates mosquitoes, cockroaches, rodents, ants, bedbugs
- Safe for children and pets
- Runs on line, no charge required.
- No pest control effect
- Large area of the device
Prestige has a fairly wide spectrum of activity that extends to the following pests:
Stories of our readers!
"Many gardeners are faced with the Colorado potato beetle, flies, ants, aphids, caterpillars, weevils, moles and many other parasites. It is very annoying when the crop goes to pests. The husband bought the device after reading about it on the forum gardeners.
I regularly inspect my site, the result makes me very happy! I liked very much that it works on a solar battery. I advise the repeller to everyone. "
Mechanism of action
The principle of action of the drug Prestige is based on the launch of the following processes after the treatment:
- Fast release of active substances immediately after treatment of planted crops. They are absorbed into the soil, providing a protective area around the plant.
- Main substancesincluded in the preparation are absorbed by the cultivated crop through the tuber and root processes.
- Imidacloprid evenly distributed throughout the plant and its systems in the process of its growth.
- When ingested by an insect, imidacloprid blocks nerve impulses and causes a whole complex of failures in the central nervous system, which leads to paralysis. After some time, the pest dies, because it loses the ability to perform basic actions to maintain its own life activity.
Processing from the Colorado potato beetle can be done before planting potatoes or after it. Positive results are observed several hours after the procedure.
The effectiveness of the drug depends on a number of factors, among which the most significant are:
- The uniform distribution of the solution during processing,
- Drug concentration
- Coverage density
- Continuous spraying of the solution,
- Consumption of solution during processing.
Efficiency depends largely on how to dilute the Prestige, so it is necessary to adhere to the proportions specified in the instructions.
Stories of our readers!
“They always used fertilizers and dressings in their garden. A neighbor said he was soaking seeds using new fertilizer. The seedling grows strong and strong.
Ordered, followed the instructions. Wonderful results! This we did not expect! We have collected a wonderful harvest this year, now we will always use only this tool. I recommend to try. "
Pretreatment of tubers
Pre-treatment of potato tubers ensures their protection, such measures do not cancel the repeated use of the drug after a while.
Processing of potatoes by Prestige before planting can be carried out directly during the placement of tubers in the ground or a few weeks before.
The following procedures are most common:
- Tubers are pre-dried, after which they are uniformly sprayed with a solution prepared by diluting 30 ml of the drug in 600 ml of water. Immediately after this, the potatoes are planted.
- Tubers are laid out on film and sprayed with a solution that is prepared by diluting 100 ml of the drug in 5-6 liters of water. This volume will be sufficient for processing 100 kg of planting material, but it is necessary to monitor the uniform distribution of the means and the thickness of the coating. To ensure reliable and high-quality protection, more than ¾ of the part must be covered with a solution.
Harm of the drug when processing potatoes
Due to the presence in the composition of chemicals that have a detrimental effect on pests, many people are afraid to eat potatoes that have been processed by “Prestige”.
However, this drug belongs to the moderately dangerous means, because:
- Most imidacloprid enters the foliage, accumulation in tubers is not observed.
- Upon contact with soil or moisture, Penticurone undergoes biological decay and does not accumulate in the treated plant.
Advantages and disadvantages of the drug "Prestige"
Today "Prestige" is one of the most popular drugs in its class, due to the presence of the following positive aspects:
- A wide range of actions, allowing to get rid not only of the Colorado potato beetle, but also from most other pests.
- Providing additional protection against fungus and various infections affecting tubers.
- Stimulation of photosynthesis.
- Stimulation and acceleration of the emergence of the first shoots.
- Stimulation of the growth of crops.
- Increased survival of crops when grown in adverse conditions.
Where can one buy?
The drug "Prestige" is very common, and it can be purchased in most stores that sell household chemicals or have a department designed for summer residents.
It is possible to place an order via the Internet, but the purchase should be made only through verified sellers to avoid the risk of purchasing a fake drug.
The cost of "Prestige" depends on the place and method of purchase, usually 60 ml of liquid intended for the preparation of the solution, costs about 400 rubles . When placing an order via the Internet, the price may be increased, since shipping costs are often added to it.
Many people have already experienced this drug in practice, below are some opinions about the degree of its effectiveness:
- Vladimir: “On the village site I have a rather large potato field, which is annually attacked by the Colorado potato beetle. The mechanical destruction of this pest has long proved its inconsistency, so this season I decided to try the prestige drug. This is the only year when I didn’t see any beetles on grown crops at all, although the neighbors still have a problem. Already purchased several bottles for future seasons, the tool fully justified its high cost. ”
- Elizabeth: “The drug“ Prestige ”helped get rid of the Colorado potato beetle the year before last, but last season I was unable to find it in the store. For this reason, I used another means, but the analogue of "Prestige" did not help get rid of the Colorado potato beetle. There were fewer pests, but the attacks on potatoes continued, so this year I bought several bottles at once if the drug disappears again. ”
- Vasiliy: “I not only cultivated potato tubers with“ Prestige ”, but even set up an experiment, launching the Colorado potato beetle, caught from neighbors. The efficacy of the drug is evident, because the beetle, after a while, fell dead. ”
Summarizing, we can note:
- "Prestige" is not only a highly effective means to combat the Colorado potato beetle, but also meets all safety requirements if the drug is used in accordance with the instructions.
- It is recommended to carry out pre-treatment, so that later did not have to deal with the appearance of insects.
- "Prestige" provides a comprehensive effect that creates reliable protection against virtually all common types of pests.
Wire Fighting Means
You need to start with tillage. For a successful fight with the wireworm, it is necessary to carry out autumn, deep enough (up to 25 cm) digging of the earth.
Very good results are obtained by such digging, with the introduction of wood ash, in the deep autumn before the onset of frosts.
In the spring should be an additional smaller digging. During these works it is necessary to clean the removable soil from larvae, pupae and beetles.
Reducing the acidity of the soil can be achieved by applying lime, chalk, crushed eggshell, ammonia mineral fertilizers.
Constant weed control, especially with wheatgrass and planting legumes: peas, beans, beans, will help you in the fight against wireworms.
Wire bait bait
Lures are another effective means to eradicate this pest. Harvest bait need a few days before planting potatoes.
Sow wheat, maize or oat seeds by nests, and when they germinate, dig them together with the larvae. Such baits can be made from pieces of raw potatoes, beets or carrots, which are placed on sticks 25 cm long.
They are buried so that the ends of the sticks remain on the surface, and every 2-3 days they are taken out to collect all the larvae. This method can be used throughout the summer.
To combat adult beetles, you can use a different method. At the bottom of a half-liter jar, place the bait and bury it in a shady place to the neck. For every weave you need 10 such cans. Every 3 days you need to collect beetles and change the bait.
Another simple, but rather effective method is the layout into small depressions of rotted material. This is best done on those plots of land where you assume the largest accumulation of larvae: such a wet shelter will attract many beetles. After a few days you need to collect and burn everything.
In general, working with baits requires care, but the effectiveness of this method is obvious.
Growing cucumbers at home will bring to any summer resident the joy of the process itself and the benefits of the harvest.
How to protect the planting of potatoes from the wireworm
Most of the wireworm larvae live in those areas where the roots are thickly intertwined, therefore, one should not plant potatoes next to lawns sown with perennial grasses or near the uncultivated part of the site.
During planting potatoes, prepared wells should be watered with a solution of potassium permanganate at the rate of 5 g of powder per 10 liters of water. For every 20 holes you need 10 liters of solution. This is a fairly effective way if the contamination of the soil with pests is not very large. In this case, planting leaf lettuce between potato rows also helps to get rid of the wireworm. The larvae, feeding on its roots, will not touch the potatoes.
If the degree of contamination of the soil is high, in this case, nitrogen-containing fertilizers will come to the rescue: ammonium sulfate, ammonium chloride, ammonium nitrate.
Potatoes seeds, before planting, can be treated with solutions "Aktara" and "Prestige" in accordance with the instructions.
If the described methods of struggle do not lead to the desired result, you will have to use special chemicals. These include: effective, but highly toxic "Basudin", as well as "Diazinon", "Thunderbolt-2", "Medvedox-U", "Calypso". These funds should be used in accordance with the instructions.
Good results are obtained by the layout of the granules of the drug "Provotox" in each well next to the tubers. "Provotoks" is gradually distributed in the soil and reliably protects the plants, providing a lasting effect.
Nemabak is one of the newest drugs to combat wireworm. The drug is obtained as a result of the symbiosis of a predatory nematode (a kind of roundworm) and bacteria. The nematode, penetrating into the wireworm, releases a bacterium that destroys its insides, and the nematode, in turn, eats them.
In this case, the nematode does not harm the earthworms and other useful soil inhabitants. It is not dangerous for humans and animals. "Nemabakt" will be your faithful assistant in the fight wireworm. In addition, the “Protection” soil was developed, which is already populated by nematodes.
Weeds that contribute to the spread of pests can be controlled with a selective herbicide for Lazurite potatoes. Destroying weeds, it does not harm the culture itself. "Lazurite" removes weeds at the germination stage. It is effective against even such difficult-to-remove weeds as ambrosia, quinoa, mari, dandelion, chaff, colza, and star sprocket.
Homemade carrots contain many vitamins. Read on the website how to grow carrots.
Damage to the garden from the wireworm
Potatoes more than other crops suffer from wireworm larvae. They damage germinating seeds, roots and root crops themselves.
The wounds inflicted on young tubers by small larvae are drawn in and look like funnels on already adult tubers.
Older larvae cause much more damage, they can gnaw through a potato tuber through. Pathogens of fungal and bacterial diseases can penetrate through the damaged surface. This may cause the tuber to rot during storage.
Таким образом, в борьбе с проволочником эффективную помощь оказывают своевременно принятые агротехнические меры по обработке почвы, использование приманок, специальных препаратов. В засушливый период следует позаботиться о сохранении влаги в почве.
А ещё, не спешите избавляться от жаб on their plot, they, like ground beetles, love to feed on the wireworm larvae and will provide you with invaluable help in the fight against this pest.