This perennial is capricious and requires a lot of attention. But its useful properties to absorb dirty air, to emit oxygen and phytoncides will be an excellent thanks for your efforts. Exotic plant native to the Philippines and Malaysia. It has massive leaves that form on large stalks. Their olive color is diluted with light streaks.
The plant prefers no scorching lighting, and high humidity (frequent watering and constant spraying)
The extraordinary pointed form of the leaf gave rise to the popular name of the representative of the flora - the elephant ear. On it are formed inflorescences-cobs of snow-white or pink color. Growth, depending on the species, is up to 45 to 180 cm.
Location, lighting and temperature
Does not tolerate extremes - an overabundance or deficiency of the sun. Better to let it be soft and diffused lighting. The optimal position - the window sill on the west or east side of the house. In such a place, the rays will be enough for normal growth and development, and the peak of solar activity will pass by. In winter, move the pot to the south window, so as not to highlight the electrical appliances. Otherwise, the pet of loss beautiful color leaves. But the whole year it is better not to hold the container there, otherwise burns from the sun will occur. Avoid windowsills that have windows that are used for airing.
Alocasia does not like drafts.
A resident of hot countries does not tolerate cool air. If you choose to keep a cold corner, then soon there will be unpleasant diseases. Optimum performance: in the summer from 20 to 28, and in winter not lower than 18 degrees. The light day from December to March should be at least 10 hours.
Moisturizing and watering
She likes high performance. To this end, the owners regularly use a spray bottle. If there is no time for frequent irrigation, then it is permissible to install the vessel on a pallet with pebbles or expanded clay and regularly pour water into it. It is important to ensure that the root system does not come into contact with fluid. This causes her to rot. Culture does not tolerate dust on its surface. Once a week it is necessary to wipe the foliage with a cloth dipped in clean water. Spraying with the onset of cold weather is less common.
To create comfortable conditions, growers purchase a special device for determining the humidity in the room - a hygrometer. The best performance is at least 45% during the cold seasons and 55% during the warmer months. Best of all, the plant feels at 75-80%.
The plant belongs to moisture-loving creatures. Requires regular and plentiful “drink”. You can use only pure and warm water, free of chlorine and other harmful substances. The substrate must be in a moist state, but without stagnant moisture. Its excess on the pallet can not be left. An hour after watering, they are drained. Chronic overmoistening is fraught with root disease, which is why the aerial part of the plant cannot receive nutrients. Each owner can choose a convenient schedule - abundant, but rarely or often, but in moderation. During the period of active growth moisture is required every other day.
Give preference high but not wide packaging. In her long roots will feel best. If you make a mistake and plant a sapling in a wide and shallow, the root system will quickly fill it, and transplantation will be required in a short time. The vessel can be plastic, ceramic or atheracotta.
You should not choose a pot that completely covers the icing. The new pot is slightly different in size from the previous one: 2-3 cm in diameter. Too large a container is fraught with the danger of long drying out of the soil and rotting of the roots.
Soil and fertilizers
Best suited light, slightly acidic. PH level 6.0. The main requirements are good throughput of oxygen and water. You can cook it yourself from the following ingredients: coniferous and leafy ground, peat in equal parts (one share) and 2 times less sand (half of the part). This is the most popular substrate. There is one more option: sand (6 parts), charcoal (3 shares), sphagnum moss and peat in equal parts (2 shares each), with the addition of 1 share of leafy soil.
He badly needs additional nutrition from spring to autumn.
During this period it is necessary to make trace elements, minerals and vitamins every week. It is better to alternate between organic and mineral complexes. For good growth and flowering requires nitrogen and potassium. With the onset of winter, fertilizers are not abandoned, but they significantly reduce their holding - once every 2 months. Intensive fertilizers are not required. The growing season needs liquid complexes for flowering houseplants. Add them immediately or the day after watering.
If a thin white web appeared on the foliage, then a thorough inspection is required. The little red bug found on the inside of the leaf is the tick.
First aid - cleaning the leaves with water or soapy water. Next, apply a more intense "therapy" - spraying insecticides or folk remedies. Among the latter is the infusion of tobacco weak concentration, ground sulfur.
The color of this uninvited guest may be gray, black or green. His place of residence is also on the inside of the foliage. The main menu is plant juice. Why leaves fade, turn yellow and fall off. The best way to fight it is insecticide. After 5-6 days after treatment, arrange a "shower" to wash off the remnants of the chemical.
Reproduction and transplanting alokazii
For a young representative, a change of "place of residence" is needed every year. For more mature alokazy such a need exists only once in 2-2.5 years. It occurs by the method of transshipment. It is carefully removed from the pot, taking care not to damage the fragile root system. To do this, around the perimeter of the tank they bind the pot. If the container is ceramic, it is better to use a long bamboo stick. She carefully separated earthen clod from the surface. Then it is inserted into the drainage holes and slightly pressed on the roots. After that, the extraction will happen quickly and easily. In the new flowerpot the first layer is poured drainage.
Breeding culture occurs in two ways.
A favorable period for this is spring. The best planting material is tubers protruding above the ground. During transplantation, they are carefully removed and pre-germinated. To do this, use separate cups with peat.
For the emergence of an independent root system and the first leaves takes from 2 to 2.5 months.
Cut it from an adult and healthy representative. The young leaf is dried for about 3-4 hours on the newspaper to reduce the turgor. After the root is separated and placed at a depth of 2-3 cm in the substrate, in a small transparent container.
To create comfortable conditions, the microclimate is brought closer to greenhouse conditions - the container is covered with a film or a glass cap. Periodically, the coating is removed for airing and spraying. As soon as the root system becomes visible (which is why the container should be transparent), the cap is removed and it can be transplanted into a full-fledged pot. But until fully strengthened, it is kept in a bright and warm room.
How to choose a healthy plant in the store
Immediately conducted a thorough inspection. The plant should not be damaged:
If on the inside of a leaf there are spots similar to pests, then it is better to refuse to purchase. A healthy plant is a massive root and large leaves with a smooth surface. Look at the conditions in which exot is located. If this is a cold room with poor lighting, then most likely the culture has hidden diseases. Do not buy this fragile and capricious creations in places unsuitable for sale. For the acquisition go to a specialized store. Immediately after transportation is a transfer.
Botanical description and interesting features
Refers to evergreens. It has large rhizomes, from which grassy shoots depart. The shape of the roots resemble elongated tubers. Stems shortened, erect. The leaves are large, dense, the shape depends on the variety - it can be thyroid, oval and heart-shaped. Petioles are dense, long, at the base of the leaf are divided into several veins. In individual varieties, the length of the leaves reaches a meter. The edges are smooth or ribbed, the surface is glossy, the color is different shades of green.
It blooms extremely rarely. Peduncle dense, shortened, in the form of a small bright ear, almost completely hidden under the veil. The cover is revealed only after successful pollination. Ripened fruits - red round berries, opened along the longitudinal vein.
In total, there are about 70 species of alokazii. Only some of them are suitable for maintenance in apartments.
- Amazonian A beautiful plant with a small stem and thyroid leaves. Petioles are very long - up to one and a half meters. The color of the petioles is unusual - greenish-pink. The surface of the sheet is uneven, with grooves, divided into shares. The leaves are dark colors with white veins and stripes. The apartments blooms extremely rarely. The inflorescence is a small ear, covered with a white-green veil.
- Sander. Hybrid variety. More suitable for greenhouses, but sometimes grown in apartments. Differs original elongated arrow-shaped leaves. The coloring is green with paler green veins. Along the edges are small grooves. Tuberous rhizome, petiolate leaves.
- Lo. Tall species up to a meter tall. The trunk is short. An interesting feature - mount petiole to the middle of the sheet. Leaf color is green; veins are green or white. From the bottom with a purple hue. Leaves are oval or arrow-shaped.
- Copper — red. Stem short, sometimes hiding under the ground. The upper side of the leaves with a copper shade, the bottom - a rich purple color. The apartments never blooms.
- Klobuchkovaya. The height of the plant is up to a meter, the trunk is very short - no more than 5 cm. There is a small notch at the base of the leaf, a pointed point at the tip. The leaves are very large, with pronounced gloss. Sometimes it blooms, but only in adulthood. Peduncle low - no higher than 30 cm. Inflorescence - a small spadix with a small veil.
- Large root. Sometimes called Indian. Very large plant. The stem can reach a height of two meters, petioles - meter. Characterized by division into shares in the base of the sheet. It blooms extremely rarely.
- Smelly. Leaves are long, petioled, leathery. Young leaves of a thyroid form, adults linearly ovoid. Flowers unsightly, with a specific aroma. In artificial conditions rarely blooms.
Features care for Alokaziya after purchase
How to care for alokazie after purchase? If you choose a strong, healthy plant in the store, the adaptation will pass quickly. When buying, pay attention that there are no spots, points. Color of foliage is important - leaves with a pale yellow color will tell about problems with the root system. At home, create all the conditions for quick adaptation.
- Quarantine. Place alokaziya separately from other colors. Indoors should not be too hot and humid. Avoid direct sunlight, water very moderately. Keep alokaziya in quarantine for about ten days.
- Treatment. Prophylactically spray alokaziya with a low-concentration fungicide and insecticide. The interval between treatments must be at least three days.
- Transfer. Pick a suitable size container, good soil composition. Shipping soil and container are not suitable for permanent cultivation. After transplantation, stick to smoky care - sweat from the sun, water gently.
After ten days, the adaptation phase will be completed - alokaziya can be delivered to the rest of the indoor colors.
General rules of care
Treats quite unpretentious, fast-growing cultures. Sickly rare, decorative loses only in very unfavorable conditions of growth. Care for alokaziya in a pot requires compliance with a number of rules.
- Lighting. Prefers bright but diffused lighting. It grows well on the east or west side. It is possible to grow from the south side only with shading. Species with monophonic leaves are less demanding on the level of illumination. Variegated varieties with a lack of light lose their characteristic color.
- Temperature. Very thermophilic plant, does not like sudden changes in temperature and drafts. In summer, the favorable temperature for development is 22–26 ° C, in autumn and winter - not less than 18 ° C.
- Watering. In the warm season, during the period of active growth, water is plentiful and often enough. After drying the top layer, wait one day for irrigation. Waterlogging and drying of the earthy coma is not allowed.
- Humidity. Alocasia likes high humidity. Summer spraying is good. In the cold season and in cloudy weather it is better not to spray. It is recommended to additionally increase the humidity by arranging small plosek with water next to the plant or installing the pot in the tray with a wet filler - sphagnum, hydrogel, decorative stones. As a hygienic procedure, leaves are regularly rubbed with a damp cloth.
- Top dressing. Standard fertilizers are suitable for indoor plants. Alternate the introduction of organic and mineral preparations. Feed frequency is twice a month. During the flowering period can be supplemented with additional means with a high content of potassium and phosphorus.
- The soil. Prepare loose, slightly acidic, permeable soil. It includes turf, peat, humus, leaf soil and sand. It is useful to add chopped sphagnum and coal.
- Transfer. Every two to three years you need to transplant alokaziya in another pot. Use a pot of high form, be sure to pour a drainage layer on the bottom. The usual transplant prefer transshipment - the roots are quite sensitive. Each time the diameter of the pot is increased by 2-3 cm.
Alocasia serves as an adornment for not only the home interior, it is so extraordinary that it is used almost everywhere: around artificial waterfalls, ponds, in gardens, in the lobby of hotels, restaurants, various organizations.
If you are lucky enough to contemplate the flowering of this exotic, and this only happens in an adult plant, then you can see how fragrant small flowers are gathered in a neat inflorescence of a pale pink shade and partially covered with a leaf, as protection. After pollination in this place there are fruits in the form of berries with seeds inside. No matter how sad, but if you do not want to spoil the appearance of your plant, the fruit should be removed (put crushed coal in place of the cut), as the leaves stop growing at that time.
It is very important that no matter how attractive alokaziya would look, do not forget that this is a poisonous plant. The sap of the plant irritates the mucous membrane and skin, so keep the flower away from children and animals. For this reason, it is forbidden to grow them in kindergartens, schools, veterinary clinics and so on. Also, be careful when handling any flower, be it a transplant, pruning or grafting. Wear gloves and then wash hands thoroughly with soap and water.
Types and varieties
Alokaziya Sander its hybrids include Alokaziya "Polly", Amazonian and Bambino.
Pollock Alocasia - often it is used as an interior decoration. 50-70 cm high, and leaf width up to 20 cm. It differs markedly from others in that it blooms more often. The root system is not thick.
Amazonian Alocasia - slightly smaller in size 40-60 cm tall. Along the edges of the sheet, the notches are not clearly defined, but have brightly traced white veins, which distinguishes and decorates this look.
Alokaziya Bambino a rather tiny variety (not higher than 40 cm), has narrow leaves with a pointed end.
Alokaziya Odor (A. odora) or else it is called odorous, has tuberous roots, thick shoots about one meter high. The leaves can also reach one meter in height, and in breadth to 80 cm, but their number is limited to 3-4 pieces.
Young leaves have a thyroid structure, and adults - more oval. It blooms rarely, but has a specific aroma. This species almost does not occur at home.
Large root alokaziya
Also called Armagh - This is one of the largest species among indoor plants. The height of such a plant reaches 2 meters, while having large leaves up to one meter and a width of about 70 cm. The leaf does not differ in shape from other types of alokaziya.
It is clear, such dimensions are not suitable for growing in apartments, it will be close to him there. Armagh is used to decorate parks, gardens, spacious halls. As for flowering, the fruit also has impressive dimensions (about 30 cm long).
Alocasia variegata It differs from the large rhizo in its smaller dimensions and in that it has motley leaves with large white spots.
Alocasia klobuchkovaya - has a brilliant bright green shade of heart-shaped leaves. It differs from other sparse veins and a large number of tubers. Зрелое растение имеет много листьев и имеет большую вероятность к цветению, не высокое, всего 70-100 см.
Алоказия калидора – еще один крупный представитель данного семейства. Высотой в несколько метров, имеет ярко-зеленые большие листья (до метра в длину и 65-70 см шириной). Like large rooted alokaziya, it grows only in large open spaces.
Alokaziya velveteen («Black velvet") - has a small stem up to 10 cm, heart-shaped leaves (length 35 cm, width 25 cm), velvety structure, on top of a dark burgundy color with white veins, and bottom green. Tellingly, this species often blooms at home.
They are different from “Black Velvet” leaves, they are glossy, dark green with a sharp tip at this flower.
Alocasia Copper-red - it is rather a decorative look, as it is very compact. The stem is only 10 cm, leaves up to 35 cm long, and 20 cm wide, have a copper-green upper with a metallic luster and lower purple.
Alocasia Low - reaches one meter in height, a short trunk, long petioles, from which oval leaves with a sharp tip, green with white veins. Plate with a silver shimmer.
Alokaziya Dragon - leaves are ovate-heart-shaped, slightly elongated, light green in color with dark green veins. It has healing properties.
Alocasia Zebrin (zebrina) - a distinctive feature of this variety is an unusual configuration of leaf plates, they are triangular and elongated in light green color, in which not only streaks stand out, but also an unusual pattern across the entire sheet (30-40 cm long).
Alocasia home care
Since growing in an apartment is not the habitat of alokaziya, it is necessary to provide suitable conditions, close to natural, for long-term and healthy growth of this plant. It is not quite whimsical, but requires regular and simple care.
Alocasia is a light-loving plant, but it is afraid of direct sunlight. Light must be diffused. You can stick a special paper or film on the windows, or put flowers in another room. For varieties with a variegated color, you may need additional lighting, and for monochromatic, enough and insufficiently lit places.
The plant does not like temperature drops, prefers in the summer not higher than + 25 ° С, and in the winter not lower than + 22 ° С. Do not allow drafts.
In the summer, it is necessary to often spray alokaziya, especially on the driest days. In winter, it is not recommended to do this at all. In addition, it is useful to wipe the leaves with a damp cloth. To further moisten the flower, you can put the pot on the tray with water and pebbles, only the bottom of the pot should not come into contact with water.
In the summer period, make sure that the earth does not dry out. We provide abundant watering as soon as the earth begins to dry out. If the water is retained in the pan - drain. In winter, moderate watering is provided in 2-3 days, not to flood, otherwise rotting of the roots is possible.
Alokazia transplant at home
The adult plant is transplanted once every three years, the young - as needed. Land for transplantation should be well drained, passing air and water.
As for its composition, the following ratio of components is recommended: sand, peat, humus, leaf soil and sod (1: 1: 2: 2: 2). Or buy ready-made substrate in the store. The pot is chosen high plastic, and each new two to three centimeters higher than the previous one.
Transplant alokaziya after purchase, it is possible in a larger pot, if in this close to him, or at will. No pruning is necessary. Is that cut yellowed or old leaves (do not forget about the gloves).
Alokaziya seed multiplication
This method has no particular popularity, since it does not characterize the inheritance of all signs of the original (parent) material. For example, variegated signs are not transmitted.
But still, if this method is chosen, then seeds are sown immediately after harvesting into the ground (leafy or peaty ground with sand), not too deep. To ensure moisture - covered with glass or film. The temperature is maintained at 20-25 ° C and regular spraying. Seedlings thinned, and after, transplanted into pots. The first large leaves are expected no earlier than cuts a year.
Reproduction alokazii cuttings
The best breeding method cuttings, tubers, "kids". These procedures are carried out in the spring, at the same time as the transplant, at the optimum temperature and into the mixture of sand and peat (1: 1). After cutting off the cuttings, do not forget to treat the cut point with charcoal.
Diseases and pests
Aphid and spider mite - These are the most common parasites. Often they infect a weakened and diseased plant. There are many reasons: lack of lighting, low room temperature, drafts, violation of irrigation rules - all this leads to the fact that the leaves begin to fade, become stained and dry. In the fight against spider mite, spraying with soap and tobacco solution will help you once a week (only 2 times). Aphids die from soap solution with nicotine sulfate.
- Occasionally Alokaziya leaves turn yellowThis is a normal process, but only if one sheet at a time, not all at once. One dies, a new one appears.
- Dry air and heat contributes defeat plants with mealybugs, scutes and thrips. After detection, the leaves and stems should be treated with a soap sponge. If this does not help, then apply stronger solutions (2 ml of aktellika per 1 m of water)
- Slow growth - a consequence of a lack of nitrogen in the soil. Feed urea solution (1g / l).
- Withering leaves - dry or too wet ground. Adjusting watering will help. Or the cause may not be the right substrate. Pick another, lighter.
- The leaves are pale, small and not expressive. - lack of light. If the plant was in too dark a place, then a harsh light will harm it, train it gradually. And in winter, when the lack of light is particularly noticeable, it is desirable to add fluorescent light.
- Dark spots on the leaves - drafts or too low temperature in the room.
- Dry the tips of the leaves - dry air or lack of watering. Add the amount of liquid and spray more often.
- The tips of the leaves turn yellow - when watering with hard water or chlorinated. Water should be soft and settled. Another reason is the lack of nutrients, feed.
Natural feature of alokazii
Alocasia "cries" - This is the most distinctive feature of the plant. It is connected with the fact that initially, growing in the rainforests of Southeast Asia, during heavy rains, in order to get rid of excess water, such useful property was acquired. On the leaves there are some kind of pores through which excess fluid is removed.
At home, a connection was established that when there is high humidity in the air before the rain, the plant begins to “cry”, i.e. water droplets are released on the leaves. In everyday life, alokaziya was called a barometer, for the ability to predict rain.
Why alokaziya became a house plant
Whether flower growers thought, why from time immemorial by hook or by crook did travelers and botanists bring overseas plants from distant countries? Why did most of them not disappear, but multiplied by hybrid forms? Some travelers risked their lives to get a new copy to their botanical garden. Later it turned out that in addition to beauty, plants are priceless for their medicinal properties. It turns out that they do not just absorb the hostile substances around us, but process them into poisons that heal in small quantities.
Our ancestors did not have so much knowledge as they do now, but they intuitively chose and brought useful medicinal plants, which became home-grown. Therefore, room flower alokaziya in the apartment is a danger to children and animals, and care should be taken in protective gloves. But people love him, and gave their affectionate names - trefoil, devotee. In folk medicine of eastern countries, among the natives of the tropics, this plant is used to treat such serious diseases as tuberculosis, cancer, ulcers of various origins. See photos of oleander!
Photo alokazii and care at home
Any plant brought from afar requires certain conditions for life. Slow selection of nature for centuries has adapted plants to the region with special properties. Therefore, guests have to create special conditions for life. And it even blooms when spring is at home, and we have winter. It is important for a grower to find such care conditions in order to ensure the health of the plant in the dwelling of people with different comfort requirements. Caring for alokazii on the photo to be long so that a mature seven-year-old plant blooms.
An inexperienced lover of domestic plants, acquiring alokaziya, may face a number of problems caused by improper care:
- Very slow growth of new leaves.
- The plant is sluggish, the leaves have wilted, watering does not restore Tugor.
- The leaves are not only wilted, but yellow and dry, the lower ones disappear.
- Dark green leaf becomes pale, variegated sheets lose their decorative effect.
- Dark spots appear on the leaves or the stem begins to rot.
All these signs are due to improper plant maintenance. Therefore, it is necessary to comply with the basic requirements of agricultural engineering.
Initially, indoor flower alokaziya should be provided with a permanent place. It should not be touched by the sun's rays and drafts when airing the apartment. At the same time, the plant requires a lot of light, sometimes you can create artificial lighting up with a special lamp.
Do not put the plant in a damp cold corner. For the welfare of practicing the use of bottom heating of the soil in the pot. If the roots are warm, they quickly deliver food to the aboveground part and the plant thrives. Phytophthora and root rot will not develop in warm earth.
The tropical plant Alokaziya loves content at a temperature of 21-27 in the summer and at least 18 in the winter. At the same time, the winter maintenance should be with lighting, so that the day was at least 10 hours.
A resident of the tropics loves increased humidity of the surrounding air. It is comfortable for her to be at 80% moisture in the room. This humidity is not suitable for humans. Therefore, a compromise is reached when keeping the plant in the kitchen or in the bathroom and in the vicinity of the aquarium. You can install a pot with alokazii on a tray filled with moss and expanded clay, which evaporate moisture around the plant. Suitable humidifier. However, additional spraying with a fine spray and wiping the leaves with a damp sponge is also necessary.
Wet soil in a pot with alokazie is a prerequisite for summer content. Watering is done every other day with soft water; liquid that has flowed through the drain hole is removed. When watering by the bottom method, the remaining water is drained after 30 minutes. Winter watering is reduced to the drying of the top layer of soil. The roots must be in a moist, air-saturated substrate. Therefore, alokaziya transplantation is performed as the substrate is compacted, when the roots become crowded in the container. Initially, the plant is transplanted annually, later than once every three years, choosing a large capacity, but rather cramped for overgrown roots.
We remind you that all parts of the plant are poisonous and secrete burning juice. Therefore, work associated with contact with cuts should be carried out only in gloves, and the eyes and mucous membranes should be protected. Wash hands after work and tools with soap and a brush.
Soil alokaziya loves low acidity, better than special cooking. Requirements for the composition of the soil allow the use of various components, adhering to the conditions:
- soil acidity 5.5-6.5,
- good moisture capacity
- high air saturation
- the presence of mineral components of different composition.
Adding porous charcoal forms active centers for mineral salts, nutrition for the root system.
When transplanting alokasy, deep tank is used, since the roots of the plant are not superficial, deep. However, the container for alokazii should not be wide, so as not to form zones of acidification of the soil. The root system must fill the pot. Choose high and conical vessels for stability. But there may be containers with vertical walls, if there is no danger of overturning under the displacement of the center of gravity, the bent, heavy leaves of alokaziya. Depending on the variety, with good care, alokaziya at home can reach a height of two meters.
Tips from experienced flower growers specializing in alokaziya
If the plant is purchased in a specialty store, a greenhouse, it is necessary to arrange a quarantine for him within two weeks. If you detect disease or pests, it is easier to cure one plant than to infect a home garden completely. Monitoring should be carried out to detect:
- shield plates:
- spider mite,
- diseases, phytophtoras and powdery mildew.
A healthy plant is transplanted into a new soil, completely clearing of the greenhouse substrate, while preserving the roots as much as possible.
When preparing the planting soil add vermiculite and perlite in the amount of a quarter of the substrate. They regulate the humidity in the pot and fill the composition with the necessary nutritional salts. Instead of vermiculite, you can use shavings of animal horns. The action is the same.
If the plant has dropped the leaves, it does not mean that it has died. The root system can be healthy and alokaziya grow again. To do this, you need to remove the container with the roots in a dark place with a temperature of about 17, very rarely moisten and expose to light after 2 months. Within a month, the first shoots should appear. Sometimes stubborn people sleep up to six months.
After flowering, the plant inevitably loses its decorativeness. This is a normal physiological process, should continue to care for indoor flower alokazie, and his beauty will be back.
The use of underfloor heating of a coma is effective both during the reproduction of the plant and during the growing season. Observing the rules of care can not care about the health of pets. A strong flower itself will defeat external adversity.
The most common and effective method of reproduction. On the rhizomes of alokazii nodules are formed. Sometimes they grow their own leaves. In this case, the young plant is simply carefully separated and planted in a separate pot.
Sometimes nodules form on the trunk of alokazii. They are deposited only after the appearance of the roots. So that they do not dry, cover the trunk with moist sphagnum. After the formation of roots and the beginning of the growth of the leaves are deposited in shallow pots.
Tubercles may be in a dormant state. They sprout for a very long time. Accelerate the process of soaking nodules in a solution of the drug "Epin". The soil for planting should be very light. The best option is a mixture of perlite or sand with sphagnum. The use of pure moss is allowed provided that the humidity is kept constant. In sphagnum, you can only germinate nodules - immediately after the appearance of signs of growth, the nodules are transplanted into suitable soil.
The tuber is laid on the ground "beak" up, sprinkled with substrate. To maintain stable humidity and heat, cover with a plastic cup or jar. Sprout regularly air.
The method is only suitable for the reproduction of adult alokazii varieties with a pronounced stalk. The very top of the stalk can be cut and rooted. As a substrate, a loose mixture of sand with peat is used.
Planted stalk necessarily cover a can or polyethylene. Some growers prefer to root in the water. Water take only boiled. For the prevention of decay, add a tablet of activated charcoal. The appearance of the roots wait an average of two weeks.
It is not necessary to grow roots strongly - the stem with root buds is immediately transplanted into loose soil mixture. Usually they take three parts of crushed sphagnum, add to it one part of garden soil. The first time, until the appearance of stable signs of growth, is kept under cover.
If alokaziya strongly stretched out, lost decorativeness, it can be rejuvenated and at the same time get a few young plants. The stem is carefully cut, divided into segments with one or two buds and rooted similarly to the apical graft.
The kidney is left above the soil surface. Watering and spraying regular. Cuttings kept under cover. It is useful to add crushed coal to the substrate to avoid rotting of the base of the cuttings. Daily airing required.
The division procedure is combined with the next transplant. On each segment of the rhizomes leave roots and buds. All sections are treated with fungicides and coal powder in order to avoid rotting and infection with fungus.
Alokazi delenki are planted in containers with light sandy soil. Watered moderately kept under cover. The film is removed daily for half an hour to air and remove the accumulated condensate. Periodically, a little Epin growth stimulator can be added to the water for irrigation.
Good germination only from fresh, recently harvested seeds of alokazii. The seed propagation method is rarely used, since it is not always possible to obtain seeds at home - in the apartments, alokaziya practically does not bloom.
More commonly used store stock. Sow better with a margin - not all seeds will germinate. Previously seeds are treated with "Epinom" to increase germination. Субстрат берут рыхлый, с преобладанием песка в составе. Проращивают обязательно под укрытием.
Первые всходы показываются через две-три недели. Пикировку можно проводить только после формирования настоящих листочков — примерно через два-три месяца. Все это время поддерживают температуру 23-24°С, систематически проветривают тепличку. Сеянцы из семян развиваются очень медленно. The first large sheet will be formed only in a year.
Despite the unpretentiousness of alokaziya, it is not always possible to avoid difficulties in growing. As a result of inaccuracies of care, infection with pests or diseases, alokaziya can lose its decorative effect or perish. Below is a table describing the most common problems in growing alokazii.
We create optimal conditions in the house for a flower from the tropics
Growing alokaziya at home is not at all such an impossible task. It is necessary to observe some rules, create suitable conditions for the plant and enjoy the view of a beautiful ornamental plant. With all its beauty, alokaziya is a poisonous plant, therefore, caring for it, you should observe safety rulesbesides keep her away from children and animals. Like all tropical representatives of the flora, alokaziya prefers a fertile, humus-rich substrate, increased air humidity and an appropriate temperature regime.
In the summer she needs a bright sun, however direct rays are undesirabletherefore, it is better to locate it on the east or west, but not the south window sill - it will destroy the leaves of the plant. If there are no other options, you need to priten the flower or put it away from the window.
Strong shading, like excessive sunlight, will cause problems with the leaves, which can become uneven in color, which will affect the decorative effect, or burn spots on the leaves of alokaziya can occur.
In winter, when the daylight hours are shortened, for Alokazia, it is desirable to extend it with the help of the backlight up to 12 hours.
Alocasia, although of tropical origin, feels good at room temperature in the region 22-26 degrees. In the summer, she is good on the street if the place is suitable and meets the conditions of detention. By the way, it does not tolerate drafts, so it is necessary to provide protection from them both on the street and at home.
Summer holidays on the street are well reflected in the appearance of the flower, it is likely that she likes the open air humidity more than at home.
If you send alokaziyu "on vacation", then you need to return it to the house in August, when the street and room temperature coincides. Upon the return of alokazii, quarantine is necessary.
In the cold season, alokaziyu should be at a temperature not lower than 17 degrees.
How to conduct watering
As already mentioned, watering the plant requires moderate, as the soil dries. Categorically cannot be allowed stagnant water in the pot and pan. Also, do not allow the land to dry in a pot. If alokaziya fades or leaves dry, it indicates insufficient watering or moistening. In the summer, the need for watering usually occurs once every two days; in the winter, once or twice a week.
Water for irrigation needs soft and defended.
What is the humidity of the flower loves
Coming from the tropics, the flower needs high humidity, so it must be sprayed twice, and even three times a week, and in the summer - at least every day.
If the conditions of detention differ by dryness, an additional measure is to place the pot on a pallet with moistened pebbles or expanded clay. You can not neglect the maintenance humid environment - this is fraught with ticks.
When to feed
Having transplanted the plant and letting it adapt, in a month it is necessary to start feeding it. For this, mineral fertilizers diluted to low concentrations are used.
If you want to feed organic nitrogen-containing fertilizers, you need to do this with great care: overdose is dangerous rotting parts of the plant. Not having much experience, it is advisable to use only mineral dressing.
It is good to alternate watering and foliar feeding with the same solution. Complex mineral formulations for soil fertilizer need not be diluted, 5-7 pellets after irrigation can be put on the soil surface. Gradually, they will, fertilizing with watering, fertilize it.
All the details of transplanting: which substrate and pot to pick up
Alocasia loves nutritious soil, the substrate should have a slightly acid reaction, it is good to pass air and moisture. The rate of transplantation is once a year; adult copies can be transplanted once every two years. Transplantation is carried out in early spring, when alokaziya left the state of rest, after buying a new copy, it should first be placed in quarantine. Soil composition:
- leaf ground - 1 part,
- coniferous land - 1 part,
- peat land - part 1,
- sand - 0.5 parts.
Pots Alokaziya loves high, equipped with large drainage holes.
Large plants can be transplanted by transshipment with an earthy clod in a container having a larger diameter.
Strongly ramming the pot in the ground is not worth it, it will later settle itself when watering, after which you can add more land from above. The soil in the pot is supposed to be loose.
The owners of an adult plant are interested in the question of how to propagate alokaziya.
Such an instance is breeding material one of following ways:
- division of rhizomes
- with the help of daughter tubers,
Division of rhizomes
This method is combined with transplant plants. It is necessary to remove the soil without damaging the roots. Packed up first need to blur.
Sharp knife divide the rhizome so that each delenku had a growth bud or rosette of leaves. The cut should be sprinkled with charcoal and give an hour to dry.
When the cut dries, you should plant a flower in the appropriate soil mixture and water. A week to make sure that the temperature does not fall below 23 degrees. Before acquiring leaves of elasticity, you must regularly spray the plant. Keep it in this period is better in the penumbra.
Replacing alokaziya, among the roots you can see small tubers. They are quite capable of growing into a full-fledged plant.
They should be separated and introduced for germination in a special substrate. Pot for baby can serve disposable cupDo not forget to provide drainage holes.
Two months later, the tuber will release the first leaf.
The cuttings of a plant (apex or part of a stem with one or two buds) should be soaked for half an hour in a fungicide preparation, and then sprinkled on the part where the roots should grow.
After which the stalk is rooted in a mixture of peat and sand, taken in equal parts, and kept in a warm and bright place, but not under direct sunlight, with a lower heated soil. As required, moisten the soil. Rooting required about a month.
If you were lucky to see how your alokazia blooms, you did not remove the peduncle for the sake of the beauty of the leaves and waited for the seeds, you can try to use them as seed material. They should be sown immediately after harvest.
They germinate in a mini-greenhouse in warm, moist air in a light substrate. Emerged shoots need to dive in small pots. After a year, your young plant will have large leaves. Varieties of alokazii with variegated leaves do not propagate by the seed method, since variegation in these conditions is not transmitted.
Pest and disease control methods
If your alokaziya receives the right care, its diseases are unlikely. However, if alokaziya is sick, its leaves darken, dry and fall, or the leaves turn yellow, what should I do? The plant needs a certain level of moisture, if it is not followed, parasites can start.
Most often the flower is affected by aphids, scutes, ticks.
- The spider mite envelops the lower part of the leaf with thin spider webs. Get rid of it by washing the leaves with soapy water or insecticides.
- Aphids deplete the plant, feeding on its juice, as a result of which the leaves dry and curl. Destroyed by washing with soapy water, nicotine sulfate solution or finished products. After processing the plant, after a day, wash it, shielding the soil with cellophane.
- Shchitovka breeds with great speed. It is exposed to tobacco solution with soap, kerosene and denatured alcohol. Adults are removed with a moistened swab, the larvae with a soap solution or an insecticide.
The cause of the flower ailments can not be parasites, but care errors.
- Pale leaves due to lack of lighting.
- Dry spots on the leaves - burns caused by direct sunlight.
- Disruption of the uniform color of the leaves or their drying are the result of temperature changes or drafts.
- Drying tips of the leaves - the result of a lack of moisture due to scarcity of watering or low humidity.
- Growth arrest signals the need for additional food or transplanting into a more spacious container.
- Withering leaves indicate improper watering: insufficient or excessive. Another plant thus responds to the excessive compaction of the substrate and the violation of breathability.
- Rotting rhizomes happen due to a combination of drafts, low temperatures and an overabundance of moisture.
- Sometimes the plant sheds leaves. If the inspection of tubers showed no damage, it is necessary to replace the soil, place the plant in a cool place and stop watering - it is time to rest. When new shoots appear, provide heat, light, and moisture.
As already mentioned, alokaziya - a poisonous plant. This property is inherent in all its parts. Many poisonous substances have long been used by folk medicine, and in the modern world and traditional.
Alocasia and its medicinal properties are widely used in chinese medicine.
- Tincture alokazii on vodka is used in the treatment of wounds, pains in the joints and back, polyarthritis.
- A tumor is treated with this plant, both benign and malignant.
- Used with stomach and tooth pain.
- With the help of this plant they are trying to cope even with such ills as tuberculosis and pneumonia.
Exotic tropical plant alokaziya is quite possible to grow and multiply at home. A little attention and care, and she will delight you with beautiful views of leaves and exotic flowers. However, do not forget about its toxicity and take precautions so as not to harm yourself and your surroundings.
History of origin
The flower came to our edges from the tropics of South Asia. The climatic features of these places have instilled in Alokaziya the ability to excrete excessive moisture from foliage, which accumulates in the rainy season. Even room alokazii sensitive to changing humidity. Flower can notify their owners of the overmoistening in the room or warn of a rainy cyclone approaching the terrain. Alocasia does this through small droplets of moisture protruding on the surface of the leaf.
Alocasia is one of the most beautiful representatives of the Aroid family. It differs from its counterparts in high ornamental foliage. An interesting fact: many housewives do not know that all the leaves of Alokaziya grow from a single stalk, so thin that it is invisible because of bushiness. Although Alocasia is also considered a herbaceous plant, it is formed into an evergreen luxurious shrub. The plant has a tuberous rhizome.. Different types of flower have sizes from 20 cm and reach up to 3 meters, which allows any gardener to choose for himself the very Alocasia that fits the interior and the size of the room.
One bush of a flower has, as a rule, from 4 to 8 leaves. It is interesting that as soon as 5 leaves appear, older leaves start to die off, but even with such a few foliage the plant looks great.
In most species of Alocasia, the leaves are relatively large, up to half a meter in length, glossy and hard. The leaves have the shape of an elongated heart with curly edges and pointed corners. Light relief veins are clearly traced on their surface by nature.
Alokaziya - flowering plant, which has enough nondescript flowers. Housewives who buy this plant are primarily due to its appearance, than because of its flowers, especially since Alocasia blooms rarely at home. The plant is valued above all for its beautiful lush leaves, although each florist is pleasant to contemplate white-pink rosettes of small flowers as a result of their labors. The plant from the tropics perfectly adapts to the climatic conditions of our houses and apartments, especially the greenhouses, in which everything is done for the comfort of large tropical plants.
Most experienced flower growers strongly recommend getting rid of flower stalks before flowering, because they take all the power from Alokaziya, stopping the growth of foliage.
If the bloom of Alokaziya is a matter of principle, then after, as a result of self-pollination, the plant may even produce fruits, each of which will contain up to 6 seeds.
Most popular varieties
All varieties are characterized by common characteristics, however, they differ in size and variety of leaves. Flower growers emit about 70 species of tropical beauty, but not all of them are suitable. home care for alokazie.
The most beautiful varieties Alokazii:
- Sander. The flower has elongated large leaves with curly edges and pointed tips. The leaves are dark green in color and brightly traced streaks and light rim. The surface of the sheet as if covered with wax. The leaves are formed on fleshy petioles, which are 50–60 cm tall.
- Alokaziya Polly. Taking care of this type of plant at home is a little easier, so many housewives choose it on the shelves of flower shops. Polly is a variety of Sander and has more patterned "marble" edges and frequent flowering.
- Amazonian The medium-sized variety Sander, reaching 40–60 cm in height. A characteristic feature of this variety is the almost complete absence of teeth on the leaves.
- The Dragon. A rather low plant reaches 40 cm in height and has rounded leaflets in the shape of hearts with dark green veins and a light base.
- Large root. The representative of a large bushy species Alokazii, up to 2 meters in height. The variety has a feature - the edges of the leaf strongly diverge from the stem. Dark lettuce leaves grow to the size of 40x30 cm, and in some cases up to 1 meter. Flowering gives a large ear with a green-yellow sail. Berries dense, glossy, red juicy color.
- Copper-red Alokaziya. The type that is most adapted to room conditions. It differs from its fellows with rounded leaves, which are 30x15 cm in size. The upper part of the plate has a waxy luster and greenish-copper color, the bottom of the leaf is purple. Over the entire surface scattered dark green streaks.
Alokaziya Polly is considered the most favorite variety of all housewives. That it can be seen on the windows of flower shops. Polly - plant unpretentious and does not require careful care, so it is actively developing in almost any conditions of the apartment and any employment hostess. Polly has beautiful glossy maroon-green leaves with light green veins.
Pot and soil
Basic ruleThe flower grower should be guided by when choosing a soil for Alokaziya - a weakly acidic medium (within pH 5.5–6), nutritional value and low density.
If there is a desire to independently prepare a mixture for planting or transplanting a plant, then it is necessary to first determine the age of the flower. The following mixture is ideal for young plants:
- leaf earth - 4 parts,
- peat - 4 parts,
- coniferous land - 4 parts,
- crushed sphagnum moss - 1 part,
- coarse sand or perlite - 1 part.
For large plants over 3 years old, the above mixture should be additionally enriched with 1 part of humus and mixed thoroughly with the ground.
The most hassle-free and simple version of soil selection is to buy it in the store. The ready composition for deciduous and ornamental plants ensures the full development of alokaziya, taking into account all its needs. If used for watering hard water, the plant will be better in more acidic soil for hydrangeas and azaleas.
Alokaziya is a heavy and rather massive plant, therefore, to ensure sufficient nutrition and stability of the rhizome, you need to choose deep large pots with drainage holes. Material does not matter, it remains at the discretion of the grower. Like any other plant, alokazii will be much more comfortable to live in a heavy ceramic tank, but plastic will do as well.
Drainage and watering
The pledge of beauty and health alokazii - moist and well-drained soil. Good air exchange for the rhizome can be organized with a drainage layer in ¼ of the total volume. Classic drainage, as a rule, is expanded clay, gravel, pebbles and broken majolica.
As a native of the tropics, alokaziya is a very moisture-loving plant. It requires almost daily watering in the warm season. The optimal mode of watering - every other day. Under no circumstances should water be allowed to accumulate in the pan. Цветок любит листовое увлажнение, поэтому ежедневное опрыскивание пойдёт ей на пользу.
В зимнее время года полив и опрыскивания нужно сократить. Проверить, пришло ли время поливать алоказию, легко. Для этого нужно прощупать почву на глубине в 1 см, если далее земля сухая, то растение хочет пить. Если в комнате высокая температура воздуха, или же не хватает влажности, следует продолжать и зимние опрыскивания тоже. Делать это нужно исключительно в утренние часы, когда в окно светит солнышко.
The traditional mode of fertilizing alokazii, recommended by experienced growers, occurs with the help of complex and organic mineral fertilizers. Feeding should be carried out with an interval of 2 weeks during the period of active growth, that is, from mid-spring to early autumn. The flower gladly accepts complex fertilizers intended for deciduous and ornamental plants. Fertilizer dosage is imperative. take less than specified by the manufacturer on the package, as a rule, 2 times. In winter, fertilizing should be done 1 time per month.
Not everyone was lucky enough to observe the flowering of this plant, since it blooms very rarely at home. At the same time, Alokaziya actively sheds its leaves, which is not everyone likes. Survive flowering plants in two ways:
- cut off the peduncle, which has already formed and sprinkle it with pounded coal,
- give the plant to calmly bloom.
Peduncle, which has already faded, must be cut to prevent ripening of berries, which significantly depletes the plant.
Alocasia multiplies mainly vegetatively. Due to the loss of plant ornamentation during flowering and ripening of fruits, flower growers rarely bring the plant to flowering, which greatly complicates seed propagation. Moreover, seeds usually give very low germination rates. The main reason for the fact that Alokazia is not propagated by seeds is that, with this type, the varietal signs of variegated specimens are not preserved. A full-fledged plant can be grown this way only in a year.
The most effective and simple methods is the division of rhizome, grafting and tuber seedling. At the same time, young alokazii can be seen already in the second month of his life.
Another effective and simple way of reproduction of alokaziya is the separation of tubers during transplantation. The process consists of several steps.:
- Alocasia is removed from the main pot.
- From the rhizomes washed off the ground.
- Tubers are carefully cut from the roots with a sterile, sharp knife.
- Cuts on the roots of the plants are treated with coal powder.
- Tubers go deep into the sphagnum moss a couple of centimeters so that the tip is on the surface.
- Alokaziya children are watered and kept at a temperature of up to 25 degrees under film or can.
With such a simple breeding procedure, shoots can be expected in 4-5 weeks.
This method is much less popular and is used by florists mainly when the plant is damaged. For reproduction Alokazii using the cuttings, do the following:
- Broken stem split.
- Use a sharp knife to divide it into pieces, so that each has 1, maximum 2 buds.
- Pieces deepen into a sand-peat mixture a couple of centimeters and pour.
- Using a film, can or glass to create a greenhouse effect.
- Children need to be ventilated every day for 10-15 minutes, removing the cover.
- After 4–5 weeks, when rooting has occurred, the greenhouse needs to be removed and the youngsters are planted in suitable pots with drainage.
Alocasia is a tropical, bright and incredibly beautiful miracle that can decorate a house or apartment with any interior. It only takes a little time. to maintain a comfortable temperature, humidity and lighting, and in return pleases the eye for many years, bringing a unique touch of exotics to the house grower.
Alocasia Amazonian / Alocasia amazonica
Amazonian Alocasia (Alocasia amazonica). Stem in this species is low (up to 15 cm). Leaves of a thyroid form, grow on half-meter greenish-pink scapes. The sheet plate is uneven, notched, up to 50 cm in length, and up to 20 cm in width, divided into fractions. The leaves are dark green in color, covered with white veins, and white stripes extending from them. In room conditions it usually does not bloom and does not bear fruit, but in the presence of flowering, the peduncle is low, the flower of the ear reaches 10 cm in length, covered with a white-green veil.
Alocasia Sander / Alocasia sanderiana
Alocasia Sander (Alocasia sanderiana). Hybrid species, mainly grown in greenhouse conditions. Root system - tuberiform rhizome. Leaves are petiolate, greenish-brown petiole reaches a maximum of 25 to 50 cm in length.
The leaves are green, elongated-arrow-shaped, reaching 40 cm in length, and 15 cm in width. The leaf plate is divided into lobes and covered with pale green veins, the edge is pale with notches.
Alocasia Lowe / Alocasia lowii
Alocasia Low (Alocasia lowii). This species has a short stem, but will grow to a height of 1 m. Petioles are long, attached to the middle of the leaf. Leaves are either green with veins of the same color, or green leaves are covered with white veins, and the underside of a leaf is purple in color. The shape of the leaf plate can be either arrow-shaped or oval. Well propagated by offspring, which are formed on the roots.
Alocasia coppery / Alocasia cuprea
Alocasia is coppery (Alocasia cuprea). Stem short, up to 10 cm long, may be underground. The leaves are petiolate, green with a copper tint on top, and saturated purple at the bottom, up to 30 cm in length, slightly leathery, have an ovate-heart-shaped form. Indoors does not bloom and does not bear fruit.
Alocasia klobuchkovaya / Alocasia cucullata
Alocasia klobuchkovaya (Alocasia cucullata). The trunk of this type is about 5 cm in diameter, and grows to a height of 0.5-1 m. Petioles are up to 30 cm long, but they can exceed 0.5 m. The leaf plate is pointed at the top, and has a notch at the base, grows up to huge sizes - up to 1 m in length and up to 80 cm in width, dark green, glossy.
In room conditions, the plant will bloom only when it reaches a large size. On the 20-30-centimeter peduncle a small ear grows with a spat slightly larger than its size (up to 15 cm in length).
Alocasia large root / Alocasia macrorrhizos
Also found under the name Indian alokaziya (Alocasia indica). The leaves grow on meter stalks, which in turn grow from a long stem (up to 2 m in height). The base of the leaf plate is divided into lobes, and the leaf itself has a heart-ovoid shape, grows in length to almost 1 m, and slightly less in width. It rarely flowers in culture. Peduncle in length will grow to 30 cm, on it - an ear about 20 cm in length and the same length yellowish-green coverlet.
Alocasia odorous / Alocasia odora
Alokaziya odorous (Alocasia odora). Herbaceous perennial. Leaves petiolate, up to 1 m long, usually up to 70 cm wide, leathery to the touch. The adult leaf is drawn out and has a linear ovoid shape, divided at the base, and the young leaf has a thyroid shape. Under room conditions, flowering is almost not observed. Flowers have a specific aroma.
The chemical composition of the plant and its action
All botanists and flower growers warn of the dangers of flower care work without latex or rubber gloves. Not only the plant juice is poisonous, but its evaporation from the root during planting. When cutting, there is a characteristic smell of the cyanides present.
However, in folk medicine, shamrock is considered a valuable raw material for the production of dosage forms:
- tinctures on alcohol or vodka,
- water extract
In its pure form, the juice does not apply because of its exceptional stinginess. By accidentally hitting the eye in any amount of toxic substances alokazii, can cause blindness.
Having licked a drop of moisture on the surface of a leaf, a person is doomed to a long torment. Therefore, the plant should stand in places inaccessible to animals and people. In life there should not be situations like this. For a grower who has a blog, this is an unforgivable frivolity in relation to his own child.
In the leaves of alokaziya contains an explosive mixture of mercuric chloride, it is an active mercury compound, mercury dichloride, and hydrocyanic acid, the strongest poison.
In microdoses, these poisons have a healing effect, they destroy the cells of the neoplasms, since the young cells are unstable to their effects. The scant information about the mechanism of action of these strongest poisons allows only to use the age-old wisdom of herbalists, not exceeding the dose recommended by them.
Alocasia is light-requiring, but it does not tolerate a direct hit of the rays of the scorching sun. An attractive appearance is lost: the leaves gradually fade, dry up and fall off. Burns may occur. Large root alocasia
The best option for alokazii is the eastern or western side of the world. In this case, the flower will receive sufficient bright sunlight and will be safe from burns.
- When placed on the south windows a small shading is required, for example, a transparent curtain.
- Varieties with solid leaves normally tolerate insufficient lighting.
- But the variegated creatures are more demanding of this type of care.
- With a lack of light, the colors may fade.
Therefore, these species are advised to be placed on the southern windows, creating a diffused light. You can use artificial lighting.
Normal room temperature (24-27 ° C) is the most suitable for alokazii. She does not like strong heat, although for some time it may well exist at a temperature of 28-30 ° C.
The main thing is that during such periods the air is not stagnant. The room should be ventilated, but do not allow sharp drafts. When caring for alokaziya at home, try to find a permanent place for it, and do not move the pot to and fro.
In the winter period comes the stage of rest. The shrub needs a slightly lower temperature (16-20 ° C) in order to hibernate for some time and rest until spring.
The pot can be taken out on the balcony, but only taking into account that even at night the temperature in the room does not fall below 16 ° C.
You can not have "elephant ear" near the heating devices. Sudden temperature drops will also negatively affect its appearance.
Like many tropical plants, the “elephant ear” loves a neutral or slightly acidic soil, quite loose, well permeable to oxygen and moisture. In the store, you can buy a ready-made substrate for deciduous plants or a universal lightweight primer.
While preparing the soil yourself, mix the following parts:
- Leafy ground - 2 parts.
- Sodland - 2 parts.
- Peat - 1 part.
- Sand - 1 part.
- Charcoal - 0.5 parts.
A pot for a bush is picked up big. Good drainage (brick chips, crushed stone, expanded clay, vermiculite) must be laid on the bottom.
Culture needs to be sprayed frequently. In addition, a pot of alokazie put in a tray with wet clay or pebbles to increase humidity. But if the pot is constantly in contact with water, it can rot the root. It is also useful to regularly wipe the surface of the leaves with a damp sponge.
In cold and cloudy weather, it is necessary to spray carefully so as not to get excess humidity. The optimal moisture index for alokazii should be 80%. The minimum level of humidity in the cold season should not fall below 40%, and in summer it is above 50%.
Since alokaziya - a resident of the tropics, it requires a high level of moisture. The intensity of its irrigation directly depends on the temperature and lighting: the hotter and drier it is, the more often it is necessary to water it. In the summer they water from one to three times a week, in the winter once in 8-10 days.
It is necessary to water with warm water (with a temperature of 2-3 degrees above room temperature) and alternate the moistening with separated water and water from the filter. However, be very careful when watering. On the one hand, overdrying of the oil is harmful, on the other hand, overflow is even more undesirable. Before watering it is necessary to check the soil, it should dry to a depth of 5-6 cm.
Alocasia is thermophilic, requires bright diffused lighting, regular watering and feeding.
Most importantly, the substrate is not very heavy and dense. Especially critical is the excessive watering in the winter in a poorly heated room. It threatens to rotting rhizomes. Therefore, in the cold season it is imperative to use warm water and drain its surplus from the pan.
In spring and summer alokazii requires fertilizer about once every three weeks. Best suited for this complex mineral or organic fertilizer for indoor plants. Especially useful are considered supplements with a high content of potassium and nitrogen.
For example, you can alternate the feeding “Leaflet” (for 3 liters of water - 1 tablespoon) and the fertilizer “Agricola for ornamental plants” (for 3 liters of water - 1 teaspoon).
In autumn and winter, alokaziya must be fed no more than once a month and a half. For young flowers, an important role will be played by the introduction of components of the phosphorus group. They stimulate the development of healthy roots and improve the immunity of alokazii to various diseases.
What is needed pot Alokazii ?:
When choosing a pot, it is necessary to take high and not very wide pots, you can take high and narrow, attacks like the roots of alokazy are pretty long.
If Alocasia is planted in a wide and low pot, then very quickly it will be necessary to transfer to a new pot, and the roots will sprout into the drainage holes.
Selection of materials
- When choosing a pot material, alokaziya can be grown both in plastic and in atheracotta pots (this is the name of the ceramic pot abze glaze), that is, so that the pot is not completely covered with glaze.
- If there is a tendency to abundant watering, it is better to grow alokaziya in ceramics, and preferably not poured. At the same time there is no difference between the agroshka completely covered with ceramics and the plastic pot.
- When choosing the size of the pot, you must adhere to the fact that the new pot should be 2-3 cm in diameter larger than the previous one.
If, on the transplant, a part of the roots was removed, then the pot should be selected strictly according to the root system. Moreover, if the plant is ill, then planting in a large pot has many undesirable consequences, namely: long drying of the substrate, and as a result - souring of the substrate, over-wetting the root, slow growth of the plant.
In which substrate to plant Alokaziya?
Substrate for alokazii, must be airy, lightweight, dries quickly, because excess moisture leads to rotting sensitive to the overmoistening of the roots of alokazii.
As the basis of the substrate, you can use the substrate for aroid, or any nutrient substrate.
When choosing a substrate, it is necessary to pay attention not only to the composition, but also to the quality of the substrate itself. Read more about this in the article, about "How to choose substrates?"
I used the substrate “for aroids” from Seliger Agro. And then we need sand, vermiculite, sphagnum and foam.
- Sand can be bought at the construction market, or at the pet store.
- Vermiculite is sold in any florist shop.
- And do not forget to buy a drain in the same place; as a drainage we use expanded clay, it must be washed before use under running water.
Sphagnum or sphagnum moss can be gathered in the forest where sphagnum grows. If you have nowhere to dial it, then you can buy it, an aliba in a flower shop, or purchase it via the Internet, you will be sent it by mail. Read more about this topic: "Where to buy sphagnum?"
On 1 part of the substrate, we take 0.3 parts of vermiculite, 0.3 parts of sand, 0.3 parts of sphagnum and a handful of foam plastic. Such a substrate turns out to be very light, it is quickly moistened, and rather dries quickly, which is what is needed for alokazii, the more so being on intensive care.
- We take a suitable container in which we will mix the substrate for alokazii.
- We pour the finished substrate, knead all the lumps, so that there are no large pieces.
- If neprevrevshie twigs, fibers, then we cut them with scissors.
- Then we fill the container with the substrate with the necessary amount of vermiculite, sand, mix everything thoroughly.
Then we cut the sphagnum. If the sphagnum is dry, the atoms are pre-wetted with water or with a spray gun. After sphagnum cut into pieces up to 1 cm. Add to the substrate, mix thoroughly.
We break the foam plastic into small pieces so that it does not stick to the hands, we break it with wet hands.
The result is such a mass
I will show transplant by example Alocasia reginula ‘Black Velvet’
After you brought home alokaziya, carefully look at the plant again, if there are any signs of mechanical damage, leaf diseases, mold on the plant itself or on the substrate. Inspect the leaves, especially the underside for pests.
If there are white spots on the upper part of the leaves, then it is a bloom from salts. In Alokazy with leathery leaves, the bloom can be washed off with a sponge, and in Alokazia with velvety leaves, the spots from salt must be brushed off with a toothbrush. And the procedure will have to be repeated.
If there is a suspicion of pests, it is necessary to treat the plant from insect pests.
After all the necessary procedures proceed to transplant. This is provided that everything you need for a transplant is available.
Roots of alokazii
After that, we inspect the roots of alokazii. Healthy roots of alokaziya are light, dense, elastic.
If some roots are dark, then before removing them carefully inspect them, perhaps it is just the root hairs that have grown into the peat particles.
If the roots are empty, gray, and water comes out of them easily, then such roots are dead, we cut them, powder the ground with powdered charcoal (you can crush the activated charcoal tablet).
На корнях у алоказии образуются дочерние клубеньки, из которых впоследствии может вырасти Алоказия.
Вызревшие клубеньки имеют темные чешуйки, если же клубенек еще полностью светлый, то он пока не закончил своего формирования. Если они сами не отделяются, то пока их не следует отделять.
If, when washing or planting, you inadvertently break off a nodule, then it can be germinated, read about it in the article Alokaziya - rooting tubers.
- After rinsing, if you want to reduce the stress of the plant after changing the conditions and transplanting, you can hold the roots of alokaziya for 20-30 minutes in a stimulator solution.
- After all the procedures with the roots, you can give the roots a little dry, but not more than 15-20 minutes, so that the roots are not dry. Usually at this time I am preparing a substrate for alokazii.
The substrate is ready, roots are processed, now we plant alokaziya in a pot.
At the bottom of the pot pour claydite.
Then in a pot, on kerazmite pour a little cooked substrate for alokazii.
And we place the roots of alokazii, while you need to act carefully so as not to break the roots.
After poured in a circle prepared substrate, filling with all the gaps between the roots. You can tap the walls of the pot, so the substrate will wake up evenly between the roots and better fill all the gaps.
When the substrate is falling asleep, it is necessary to plant alokaziya so that the root collar (the place from which the roots begin to grow) is not buried, but is flush with the level of the substrate. It is not necessary to crush the substrate in the pot, if only for a little bit, at least I did not squeeze the substrate for my alokazii, it remained as loose and breathable.
All transplant over.
What should be done after transplant alokazii?
After transplantation, we do not immediately water it, but we water it only when the substrate dries to 1/3 of the pot's capacity, not earlier.
Watering alokaziya is better to lower watering, warm water. The first watering should be a small portion of water, if after watering Alokazia begins to emit water droplets, then it gets rid of excess water. And this is a natural reaction, it is worse if Alokazia will “cry” not for one or two days, but much more this will indicate excessive watering, stagnant water in the pot and poor flow through the drain hole.
Recipe for success
In addition to proper transplantation and watering, create alokasy comfortable conditions, warm content, good lighting, and eliminate drafts. Read more about how to care for alokazii, read our article.
If the transplant was made, true, and Alokazia was provided with suitable conditions, then the transplant does not at all affect the growth of Alokazia, on the contrary, the plant starts growing more actively.
General rules and methods of reproduction
Florists claim that alokaziya cleans the air in the room, has healing properties. Sometimes it is grown at home in order to prepare a cure for cancer from it. It is therefore not surprising that the flower is readily sold and bought - for yourself or as a gift. But first it needs to be propagated and grown.
Alokaziya reproduction at home occurs in various ways: by dividing the roots, stem cuttings, basal kiddies, leaf rooting, seeds. Depending on the type of plant and choose the method of its reproduction. So alokaziya kalidora reproduced only by tubers-children, the method of propagation by leaves and seeds of this species is not suitable.
All the above breeding methods of alokaziya are subject to the general rules that must be followed in order to grow a full-fledged plant at home. Let's call these rules:
- The soil for planting and breeding alokazii should consist of peat, sphagnum moss, perlite and sand. At the bottom of the pot should be a drainage from a mixture of crushed coal, vermiculite and broken clay bricks.
- The soil must be disinfected by heating, freezing or a solution of manganese. The roots of alokaziya grow deep into, so the pot must be high and stable in the shape of a bucket.
- Alocasia will root perfectly and grow on light, moisture-and breathable soil and normal or low acidity. It should always be wet, watering should be carried out systematically.
- All planting materials, except for seeds, must be treated with cinnamon powder, wood ash or charcoal powder before planting at the cut points.
- For better education of roots, cuttings, children and leaves are soaked for 15-20 minutes in a root formation stimulator.
- In some types of alokazii, there are only three leaves, when a fourth one appears, the most “senior” leaf begins to dry out and dies. To make the bush more lush, you can plant 2-3 seedlings or tubers in one pot.
- Reproduction of alokaziya is best to start in spring, because it is at this time that the biological activity of all living organisms increases. But if necessary, rooting can be carried out in summer and autumn, and in winter, cuttings can die without being rooted.
Reproduction tubers carried out in the spring. Often the tubers grow so well that they begin to protrude above the ground - this is the best material for reproduction of alokaziya. They are separated from the rhizome during transplantation and germinated in a small plastic cup with a drainage hole. Each little nodule is planted in a separate cup, and within 2-2.5 months after planting, its roots will grow and the first leaf will appear.
For breeding leaves, you need to cut a new, young leaf. At first it is kept a little without water in order to reduce turgor, and then the petiole is cut and deepened in a soil mixture in a small pot.
The container with the sheet is covered with a glass jar or a plastic bottle without a bottom, to preserve moisture and increase the temperature. The cover is removed every day for airing, watering is carried out as needed.
Repot the leaf into the pot after it has roots - they will be clearly visible in a transparent cup. When the arrow of the second leaf appears, the cover can be removed, now the seedling does not have to create greenhouse conditions, but still the air temperature in the room should be high enough - not lower than 22-25 degrees.
Propagation of alokaziya stem cuttings is the same way.
Seed reproduction at home is another opportunity to get a new plant. To do this, use fresh seeds that have matured after flowering. It must be said that this breeding method is complicated by the fact that at home the plant blooms very rarely, so getting the seeds is not easy.
Moreover, the germination of seeds is preserved only when they are in the berries - wet shells. To find such seeds in our country is not so easy, but if there is such an opportunity, you can start work.
- The substrate for sowing seeds can be bought in finished form, as well as independently, at home, from humus, river sand and high-moor peat.
- Seeds are not buried in the soil, but simply compacted, moistened with a spray bottle and covered with glass or film.
- The cover is removed daily for airing and moistening.
The first shoots will appear in 7-20 days, this period is different for different types of alokaziy. Seedlings dive twice, planted in a permanent place in the stage of two true leaves.
Color can be seen extremely rarely. In order for this to happen, it is advisable to select suitable conditions of detention. Then the householder will give you a stunning spectacle: a charming peduncle of white and pink color, and in the open form it can be white and green.
Know! The only negative is that not everyone can tolerate the scent. There are people whose head starts to ache from the smell.
In the process of flowering, the plant loses its decorativeness and leaves dry. It remains only a bare stalk, after all the leaves fall off. He will need time to recover, and the flower will once again delight with its grace.
If you do not want the room dweller to lose its magnificence and exoticism, just do not let it bloom.
Under low light:
- Young leaves are reduced in size, discolored and lose their decorative properties.
- Growth processes are suspended.
- The leaves of the second order begin to turn yellow, there is a "leaf fall".
- To help your pet, it is advisable to equip additional lighting.
When waterlogging stops the access of oxygen to the roots, and they rot.
With an excess of mineral elements is observed:
- wilting leaves
- growth inhibition during the growing season, and in the autumn-winter period, the stems are stretched,
- the formation on the surface of the leaves and the contour of the characteristic brown spots,
- after the irrigation, white crystals of mineral fertilizers fall out on the surface of the dried earth.
The plant suffers from a lack of nutrients:
- is stunted, sick
- leaves turn pale, pale yellow spotting appears on them,
- the stems are drawn, shed their leaves,
- decorative properties of pot culture are reduced.
With a lack of nitrogen fertilizing plant growth stops, and the development is inhibited.
When drying the soil:
- the leaves are drooping
- growth processes slow down or stop
- leaf blades at the edges become brown in color and curl up,
- Leaves of the first order begin to fall off.
- When the temperature in a thermophilic culture decreases, the leaves curl up into a tube and fall off.
On the excess moisture shows:
- the exposure of shoots due to the complete and simultaneous fall of all the leaves,
- staining of the edges of the leaflets in brown,
- appearance on rotten leaves rotting sites.
With increased humidity parameters:
- leaves are visible spots of grayish rot,
- putrid infection affects and shoots, alokaziya can rot in the bud.
Since alokaziya places high demands on the parameters of humidity, temperature and light, then with illiterate care, the delicate texture of the leaves can be damaged.
Alokaziya: medicinal properties and contraindications.
Alokaziya (arma) is familiar to many lovers of indoor floriculture and is revered for its unpretentiousness and high decorative qualities. Each grower is aware of the toxicity and irritating effects of alokazia juice.
In culture, the most widely used species is Alocasia large root (Alocasia macrorhiza), which develops a fleshy rhizome, vaguely resembling ginseng root. There are facts that some unscrupulous sellers of medicinal plants give out the rhizome of Arma as the “root of life” (ginseng), which puts buyers at great risk of serious poisoning. At the same time, alokaziya, if properly applied, is able to provide tangible assistance in the treatment of a number of ailments, since its juice has healing properties.
The chemical composition of therapeutic raw materials
The chemical composition of alokazii studied insufficiently. It is only known that the sap of the plant contains the volatile substance Aroin, which is attributed to its medicinal properties.
Side effects and contraindications to treatment of alokaziya
- Alocasia is not included in the register of medicinal plants in the territory of countries outside the range of its natural distribution; therefore, scientific medicine rejects all recommendations on the therapeutic use of preparations prepared on the basis of the army (especially for internal use).
- When treating drugs with alokazii, one should take into account the high toxicity of the plant sap, and, in order to avoid severe poisoning, it is necessary to strictly observe the recommended dosages and frequency of administration.
- When using preparations of arma as an external agent, a chemical burn of the skin is possible, depending on its individual sensitivity.
- To determine the threshold of sensitivity, it is necessary to apply a drop of the drug to the skin in the area of the elbow (on the inside of the elbow) and observe the reaction. Severe inflammation of the skin will serve as a signal to reduce the concentration of the drug, which must be diluted with boiled water.