Hard to believe, but orchids are not much younger than ferns. They existed 130 million years ago. Perhaps no flower has grown so many legends like an orchid. One of them tells that the beautiful Aphrodite, running through the forest, lost her shoe, and at this place an equally beautiful flower — an orchid — grew.
Another tells of a broken rainbow, from the fragments of which orchids have grown.
For a long time it was believed that their breeding is possible only in greenhouses. Now indoor plant lovers proudly demonstrate the collection of orchids grown on the windowsills of city apartments.
This is a seal on the stem that contains a supply of water. It is almost at the root, it is from there are flower stalks and leaves. The shape of the pseudobulb are spherical, ovoid and cylindrical.
Collected in the rosette, dense, green, oblong, with a sufficiently wide.
Have a flattened shape, using which they stick to any plant.
They need a high temperature, reaching 30-32 degrees in summer and not falling below 20. In winter they grow at 15-18 degrees, but the difference between day and night temperatures should not be more than 3-4 degrees. These orchids come from tropical forests: mostly phalaenopsis, dendrobium, some varieties of Cattleus.
- From the root (or by dividing the bush). How to grow a plant from the root? The division is usually combined with a planned transplant of an adult bush. The plant is completely removed from the pot, the roots are cleared of soil. The main (large) onion is determined, which is divided with a sharp knife so that at least 4 pseudobulbs remain on each of the parts. Sections are processed with charcoal and dried. Each plot is planted in a separate pot. The first time, instead of watering is spraying.
- Bulb Orchid. How to grow it from bulbs that are purchased in the store? All small pseudobulbs are cut with a knife, the slices are powdered with coal and the straws are placed in the moss.
- From cuttings. A shoot (10-15 cm) is cut off with a sterile knife from a plant with two or more air roots. Sections are processed with fungicide and charcoal. Cuttings are placed in a horizontal position in a plastic container filled with moss. When the roots appear, the segments are planted in pots. The procedure is carried out in the spring.
- From kids. Baby appears on the stem at high humidity and temperature (above 28 ° C). The baby is separated when its leaves reach a size of 3 cm, and is wrapped with moss. As soon as a sprout grows 5 cm from the base of the child, it is placed in a pot with soil. To build their own roots baby usually takes about six months. It is possible to stimulate the appearance of babies with the help of a hormonal drug - cytokinin paste.
- From seed. The most time consuming and rare way to grow orchids. Seeds ripen for 8 months, then germinated in a sterile flask, lined with moss or filled with agar-agar base. If the seed has sprouted (it takes from 3 months to a year), the seedlings are planted on a mixture of pine bark and moss, on which they can wait for repotting in a pot for about a year.