Growing Chinese cabbage allows you to get a harvest 3 times per season: at the very beginning of spring, late summer and autumn. Juicy, spicy cabbage has a high content of nutrients and low calorie.
Rules for growing Chinese cabbage
Features of the form
Beijing and Chinese cabbage are 2 close species, so they are often confused, although the external differences are significant:
- Peking forms a head, its leaves are green with white roots, the taste is mild, neutral,
- The Chinese, which the inhabitants of the Middle Kingdom call Pak-choi, have leaves and petioles of a rich green color, the stalk does not form, the taste is rich, spicy, the leaves are juicy.
Because of the savory taste of Chinese cabbage called mustard. Cabbage belongs to the early species, it is well tolerated by frost, does not require special care.
The leaves of the vegetable are collected in the outlet, sitting on thick thick petioles that make up 2/3 of the weight of the head. Crisp stalks, juicy, resemble spinach. Vegetable is used to make salads and first courses. The composition of the vegetable contains a record amount of vitamins C, B, and K, trace elements, pectins and active enzymes.
A peculiarity of culture is the love of low temperatures and moderate illumination.
To plant a crop in central Russia can be in the first week of April, the soil for cultivation is best prepared in the fall. The cultivation technology of early Chinese cabbage provides that:
- the bed designated for culture should be located in a well-lit area of the garden, on a hill where water does not stagnate.
- crops can be precursors to legumes, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, zucchini,
- Chinese women do not grow after cabbage,
- fertilizers are applied to the soil (½ bucket of manure, 2 tablespoons of ash or 2 tablespoons of phosphate and 1 tablespoon of potash fertilizers), the soil is dug to a depth of 20-25 cm,
- acid soils are treated with chalk, dolomite powder or lime, a little coarse sand is added to loams (some gardeners practice the application of rotted sawdust),
- in early spring, the soil is loosened, an additional mineral nutrient mixture is added for vegetables.
You can get a high-quality vegetable by planting seedlings grown at home and sowing seeds in open ground. Maturing terms - 25-60 days.
Sowing and care
Pak-choi is one of the oldest vegetable crops grown in the fields of China.
In contrast to the usual European varieties that require careful soil preparation and adherence to agricultural technology, it is possible to grow tasty Chinese cabbage on relatively poor soil.
Growing Chinese cabbage from seedlings is a troublesome and ungrateful occupation, the sprouts do not tolerate picking and die. Sowing seeds in open ground is a better and more productive solution.
Seeds need to be treated with growth stimulant
How to grow Chinese cabbage in the middle band? It is possible to start landing at a temperature of 5 ° C. If you carry out the procedure with an interval of 5-7 days, fresh greens in the country can be collected continuously.
Seeds 2-3 days before sowing to the ground:
- soaked in a solution of growth stimulant or a solution of trace elements.
Depth of embedding seeds - up to 10 mm.
Before planting, grooves are formed at a distance of up to 0.3 m. A thin layer of wood ash is applied to the surface of the bed with planted seeds. Such processing frightens away the sprouts of the main pest - the cruciferous flea.
The first shoots can be seen after a week and a half, the pre-treated seeds will ascend for 4-5 days.
Features of growing Chinese cabbage:
- the crops are thinned, the distance between the plants must be at least 20 cm,
- the procedure is carried out when the plants will have 2 true leaves,
- soil is periodically loosened, weeds are destroyed,
- in dry weather the plants are watered,
- when planting seedlings in a pre-fertilized soil, the plants do not feed,
- for better moisture retention, the soil in the garden is mulched.
Crop harvested 25-35 days after sowing, usually done in the morning. For better storage, the roots of the heads are cut, greens are stored wrapped in foil in a cold place. Autumn harvest in appropriate conditions can be stored until the New Year.
Planted seedlings in open ground need at a temperature of 13 ° C-15 ° C. The plant does not tolerate transplanting well, even with good care, so you need to sow in 2-unit containers prepared with light soil in the last decade of March.
After germination, the weaker plant is removed. When 5 leaves appear, they are planted in fertilized open ground. Sprouts are fed with a solution of mullein: 1 l of manure per bucket of water once a week.
Chinese cabbage, the cultivation and care of which does not require much effort, forms a rosette of leaves 15-35 cm long. Chinese cabbage is not demanding to soils and can develop in almost any soil. But a high yield will yield on fertile, water-intensive, well-groomed land. This vegetable responds well to organic, even fresh manure will not hurt her.
Chinese cabbage is a short daylight crop, so it is grown in early spring or late summer. When sown in May and June, it will sprout and will not be fit for human consumption. The shade of planting in the afternoon is permissible, so the risk of flowering crops is reduced. Some experts even recommend in the absence of shade in the afternoon to hide the landing from the sun covering material. Culture develops at a temperature of + 15-22 degrees, the period from germination to technical maturity - from 40 to 60 days for different varieties.
If there is no indication on the seed packaging that they have undergone special treatment to protect against diseases, then they should be disinfected independently. To do this, you can use a solution of potassium permanganate or garlic (30 g. Crushed garlic per 500 ml of water). You can also conduct heat treatment of seeds. To do this, they are placed in a gauze bag and immersed in water with a temperature of 50 ° for 20 minutes. Then the seeds are well dried.
Sow Chinese cabbage as soon as the weather conditions permit. The easiest way to grow it when sowing seeds in late July. Between the rows, you need to keep a distance of 40 cm. You can sow in the grooves rather thickly, followed by thinning, or in a nested way: make holes at a distance of 40 cm and sow three seeds in each. During development, the plants are thinned several times, leaving the most tall and strong. Remote copies are usable.
Small frosts do not harm the culture, it thaws and continues to grow. But severe frosts and lack of moisture for cabbage are destructive. If frost is threatened, cover crops with lutrasil or other nonwoven fabric. If you delay the watering of seedlings, they will grow hard and bloom. Therefore, you need to water small plants every day, not allowing the soil to dry out.
There are varieties resistant to bolting, for example, Beauty of the East, Champion, Optiko, Custar.
Cabbage grown by seedlings, will yield in May-June. You can try to grow seedlings at home on the windowsill, but then you will need additional lighting. You can purchase ready soil for seedlings or prepare the soil mixture on your own. Cabbage will require the following composition:
- 1 part of garden land,
- 2 pieces of humus,
- 1 tbsp. l ash per kg mix.
The soil pits or grooves, a depth of not more than 7 mm. The distance between the grooves - 3 cm. The soil should be well moistened and sown cabbage, then sprinkled with dry soil and cover with glass or film before germination. The boxes are left in a warm place with a temperature of 22o C. Moisten the soil (preferably with a spray bottle) and air the crops regularly. When the seedlings appear (4-5 days after sowing), the film is removed and the boxes are put in the lit place. In order for plants not to get sick with a black leg, water should not be allowed to stand. When signs appear on one specimen, it is immediately removed, and the rest are treated with a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
Weak potassium permanganate solution
After 7 days, seedlings dive. You can use peat pots or regular cups. When picking, the plants are buried to the cotyledon leaves for better formation of the root system. The seedling is ready for planting in open ground within 20 days after germination. Chinese cabbage is difficult to transplant, so you need to be very careful to move the seedlings to the garden together with the earthy clod in the well-spilled soil. The distance between plants is 40x40 cm.
You can plant cabbage immediately in a greenhouse or greenhouse. This way you can get an earlier harvest, as the plant will not waste time on adaptation.
Good soil cultivation is not the key to success in growing Chinese cabbage. Since the crop has a short growing season, fertilizing is often required. Once a week, the soil is watered with a solution of a liquid complex fertilizer, which must contain nitrogen. Instead of purchased fertilizers, you can use a solution of mullein or bird droppings. However, nitrogen bleeding is also undesirable, as cabbage tends to accumulate nitrates.
Water the cabbage should be daily to avoid the coarsening of the leaves and the release of the flower arrow. If the plant still bloomed, you can give it a seed - the next year will be your own planting material. After each watering, the soil should be loosened to saturate it with oxygen and prevent the formation of cracks. At the same time it is necessary to ensure that the growth point is not covered with earth. You can also gently mumble the soil, in which case it will be possible to water less frequently.
The main damage to the crop is caused by slugs and cruciferous flea. The folding of metaldehyde granules helps in the fight against slugs. A flea can in a few days destroy most of the crop. It is possible to scare away the pest with the help of a method popular in gardening - dusting the landings with ashes or tobacco dust. A good effect is spraying with a solution of vinegar. If these methods do not help, then you should use insecticides. In order to prevent damage to the crop by diseases and pests, its cultivation after any representatives of the cruciferous family (watercress, radish, turnip, radishes, daikon) is not recommended.
How can you grow Chinese cabbage healthy:
- On acidic soil, cabbage is affected by the keel. To prevent this, the soil must necessarily lime.
- For the prevention of diseases such as downy mildew and leaf spot, you need to warm the seeds in warm water, as indicated above.
- Sulfur-containing preparations help to combat the powdery mildew.
- If the plants show signs of wet bacterial decay, spray them with Binoram.
Wet Bacterial Rot
Chinese Cabbage Facts
- Beijing cabbage is not stalked, but it forms a head. Many varieties of Chinese cabbage are leafy.
- For this vegetable, you can not allocate a separate place in the greenhouse: it is enough to place it between young tomatoes. As the tomatoes grow, cabbage is already being harvested.
- It can be consumed fresh and in soups, stewed and fried, used for homemade preparations and even dried.
- This vegetable contains many beneficial substances, including lysine, which can have a positive effect on gastrointestinal diseases. There is even a variety with a talking name Tibetan doctor.
Peking cabbage chemically
The Chinese have found a way to grow Peking cabbage by chemical means. White liquid, the composition of which is not disclosed, is poured into a vat with a solution. What is this solution is also kept secret. The liquid solidifies in the form of a cabbage leaf; it is also tinted there with a mixture of paraffin and dyes. Then removed from the solution and compressed in the form of a fork of cabbage. The one that tried it says that the taste of a chemical fake is almost the same as a natural vegetable. The cost of "growing" such cabbage is very small. How does this food on health, is not yet known ...
I wonder how to grow Chinese cabbage, if you plant three varieties of the variety at one place at once? When an early harvest is taken, it can be recycled. After carrying out all the work comes the next wave. This saves time during the hot period.
Properly distribute the yield, to prevent damage to fruits, will help the following information.
Varieties are better divided by area of sowing. Cultures are slightly different in terms of content. For example, Chinese swallow cabbage - growing and caring for it will take only 15 days after germination. This is a real record holder in ripening speed. The first green is the most valuable. The body must replenish stocks of vitamins and trace elements after a long winter.
Species may conflict with each other. It is necessary to divide the culture during a joint disembarkation. For example, pak choi is grown with its relatives at a distance from each other. But to harvest in this way of farming is even more convenient.
The vacated areas can be used for re-sowing, having previously prepared the ground. This method allows you to shoot several harvests per year.
A bright representative is a cabbage glass. Its name was due to the goblet shape. Heads are dense, without voids. Weight up to two kilograms.
Mid-season varieties contain more useful elements than early ones. Time is spent more on growing Chinese cabbage, but this is justified by the weight and size of the fruit. In terms of storage the vegetable exceeds the early ripening. Longer time is on the garden, there is every chance to survive until late autumn.
Autumn frosts are not terrible. Cabbage of these varieties grows well after a short temperature drop. Resistant to pests. Well kept (up to 9 months). These varieties are commonly used for pickling and canning. For better storage, use hybrids.
Each gardener decides individually when to plant seeds. Late varieties are planted almost simultaneously with the early ones. Pre-passes through several stages to harvest:
- Soil preparation.
- Seed preparation.
- Landing in the ground.
- Care culture.
As you can see, before planting cabbage in the country, you must first prepare the seed.
The procedure is simple and does not take much time. Pre-treatment of seeds allows you to pre-determine the germination of the crop and affects the rate of appearance of the first shoots:
- Seeds lay in a gauze bag. For 15 minutes, put in water, preheated to a temperature of +50 degrees.
- Then cool them in cold water for one minute.
- After that, immerse the seeds in a special garden solution with trace elements (sold in stores for gardeners) for 12 hours.
- You can store the day in the refrigerator at temperatures up to -10 degrees.
The prepared seed is ready for planting.
How to plant
Depending on the region, conditions of detention may vary significantly. Planting and plant care have their own characteristics.
Culture loves light and landed in open, unshadowed places. Equally well perceives both the eastern and western sun. Comfortable temperature depends on the grade, usually up to +25 degrees.
There are two ways of landing:
- Leadless way. We use pre-prepared seeds and plant cabbage in open ground. After planting, sprinkling is required. It is advisable to keep the ground slightly moist until the first seedlings appear. Landing is carried out in an open, sunny place. It is necessary that the earth is well warmed up.
- With the help of seedlings. Growing seedlings from seeds is a long and fruitful process. Pre-grown seedlings reduce the risk of loss of crop and time due to the quality of the seeds, the fruit can be removed earlier. Beijing cabbage is sensitive to transplantation - here special attention should be paid to the preparation of the soil, which will facilitate the adaptation period.
Tip: varieties of hybrid varieties have the greatest survival rate.. When planting, it is advisable to stack two or three seeds in one cup or open ground. In the future, you can always make a pick.
This simple method will increase the yield in the garden. A pick is useful for detecting weak seeds. If sprouts develop poorly, then it is noticeable at the initial stages of plant development.
Chinese cabbage growing technology
It is possible to grow Chinese cabbage both in a seedless way and with the help of seedlings.
Seedless growing method
Seeds of Chinese cabbage are sown in open ground:
- from the first decade of May (or the end of April) to June 15, intervals are sown in 10-15 days,
- from July 20 to August 10.
Scheme of planting Peking cabbage.
Дистанция меж растениями должна быть 15-25 см. Можно этого добиться, посеяв семена на узкой грядке такими способами:
- Строчным ленточным способом с прореживаниями растений. Для этого посев семян проводят лентами (трех- или двухстрочными). Дистанция между лентами — 50-60 см, между строками — 20-30 см.
- Planting seeds in clusters of 3-4 pieces, the distance between the holes is about 30-35 cm. Thinning will be necessary.
Try both sowing methods and choose one that seems more efficient and convenient.
The depth of sowing seeds when grown in open ground is 1-2 cm. The bed with crops is covered with plastic wrap, especially if it is still outside. Seedlings of frosts do not like, unlike adult plants.
The first shoots occur approximately 3-10 days, depending on the temperature.
To protect the plants from the cruciferous flea soil sprinkled with ashes before germination. This pest is one of the reasons why Chinese cabbage cannot be grown after mustard, radish and other cruciferous crops. By the way, keep this in mind when choosing siderats for the garden, on which you intend to plant any kind.
When the ribbon line method of sowing during cultivation spend 2 thinning. With the appearance of one true leaf, they are thinned for the first time, leaving the plants after 8-10 cm. When the leaves of the neighboring plants close, they produce a second thinning, leaving 20-25 cm of plants.
Growing seedlings should be carried out, given their "capriciousness" to root damage and transplant. They can not be grown with the use of picks. Chinese cabbage is more capricious, so its seedlings must be grown in peat pots with planting together with pots in a greenhouse or open ground.
The advantage of growing through seedlings - reducing the time of ripening. Applying seedlings, you can get the first harvest after 20-35 days after planting on a seedling bed.
The time of sowing seeds for seedlings is related to the type of soil. When grown in:
- open ground - end of March-April,
- protected ground - the end of January-beginning of February.
Containers and cassettes for seedlings.
The soil for growing Chinese cabbage seedlings should be loose. It is good to apply the coconut substrate, it fits all the requirements that apply to the seedling soil and makes it possible to get healthy and strong seedlings.
Seeds for uniform sowing are mixed with sand and sown to a depth of approximately 0.5-1 cm. The seedling is ready for planting at the age of 25-30 days. Seedlings by this time should be with 4-5 true leaves.
Landing on a seedling bed.
For these types of cabbage, the most preferred light, organic-rich, well-drained soils with a neutral environment.
The predecessors may be cultures that are acceptable for other cabbages.
The plot, which is reserved for Chinese cabbage, should be lit.
Beijing cabbage needs to be grown from the Chinese separately, since between these species you can carry out inter-pollination.
Seedlings are planted according to the scheme:
- in open ground 30 × 25 cm,
- in protected ground - 10 × 10 cm (leaf forms) and 20 × 20 cm (head).
Both species are cold-resistant, moisture-and light-loving cultures.
Chinese cabbage can withstand freezing to -6 ° C. The temperature in the range of 15-22 ° C is optimal for plants. Temperatures above 25 ° C can cause burns on the leaves of plants (especially Chinese cabbage suffers from this).
Beijing cabbage withstands freezing to -6 ° C.
Care in abundant watering, shallow soil loosening and pest and weed control (Chinese cabbage is more resistant to pests, as it has essential oils that drive them away). Mulching of the soil will save you from weeds, which will give more time to rest.
Cabbage also likes refreshing watering, it is recommended to apply the sprinkling method. Poor plants grow with a lack of moisture. But excessive soil moisture reduces its yield. Chinese cabbage likes more watering than Peking. If it rains frequently in your region, you will have to protect the cabbage from them, otherwise it will rot. You can protect the shelter with a transparent plain film or agrofibre.
It is good to carry out with a solution of mullein (1: 8) 2 dressings during the growing season.
Watch for weeding, so as not to cover the apical bud of the cabbage with earth.
Peking cabbage is stored better than the Chinese. Make friends with these Asian representatives and you will be happy with the result, as growing Chinese cabbage is quite a feasible job for a beginner. According to its useful properties, it surpasses the Russian culture - white cabbage.
Description and characteristics
Asian cabbage appeared on the territory of Russia only in the XIX century. Over the long centuries, the plant has gone through many stages of breeding, as a result of which several varieties of this type of culture were formed. Hybrid species have gained great popularity, as they are able to survive even under the harsh conditions of temperate latitudes.
Cabbage belongs to the cruciferous herbaceous plants, which also consist of broccoli, white cabbage and cauliflower, turnip, radish, daikon, etc. Chinese culture is a two-year plant that is cultivated as an annual. Cabbage leaves are represented by delicate and juicy plates with a central vein of a triangular or flat shape. They are characterized by wavy or jagged edges and pimply inner side. The leaves form loose heads or rosettes, ranging in color from light yellow to a deep green tint.
The leaf plates of the plant are added to salads, soups, side dishes, marinades. East Asia is known for its traditional kimchi dish, which contains pickled Chinese cabbage.
Today, there are two main types of Asian cabbage:
- Chinese cabbage. This species is very popular outside of Asia. In our country, it is often sold under the name "Chinese salad". White stems with wide pale green leaves curl up into loose, elongated heads of cabbage. Peking cabbage is used for pickling and cooking salads.
- Bok choi. This species is smaller than its Peking counterpart. Smooth leafy plates of dark green color do not form a head, but are located on thick stems around the center point. It is this variety that is most often grown by Asians. Recently, they began to actively grow and sell bok-choi in the United States and some European countries.
Despite external differences, both types of plant crops contain large amounts of vitamins and other nutrients, which makes them suitable products for a healthy diet.
In our latitudes, cultivated both varieties of Chinese cabbage. Growing and caring for them do not practically differ, but planting different varieties that differ in ripening time should be far away from each other so that they do not conflict.
Cabbage prefers open, non-shaded areas. It will develop well on the east or west side. Although the plant has a high degree of frost resistance, germination of seeds or seedlings occurs at a temperature not lower than +16 degrees. Soil for cabbage should be light, loose, neutral, but fertile. The culture develops well in a drained and moderately moist soil, therefore loamy substrate will be ideal for it. Acid lands should be chilled in the fall. In the spring, they dig a plot and add a mixture of humus and compost to the soil.
The best precursors for Chinese cabbage will be legumes, grains, potatoes, onions, carrots, cucumbers, garlic. Experts do not recommend growing Asian plant after tomato or beet due to common diseases and insect parasites.
The culture is grown in a seedless way and with the help of seedlings.
Growing from seed
Before planting, the seed material needs preliminary preparation, after which the seeds have more chances to germinate as soon as possible:
- The material is wrapped in cheesecloth and placed in a bowl of warm water for 15-20 minutes.
- Then the seeds are cooled in cold water for 1-2 minutes.
- Then the planting material should be processed in a special garden solution for half a day.
- If you plan to plant the seeds the next day, then they should be left in the refrigerator at a temperature of -9 degrees.
The treated seeds are planted in the prepared soil, well warmed by the sun. The soil is well watered and subsequently monitored the required level of humidity and heat.
Usually make a landing in April, when the temperature will be about + 14-20 degrees. With higher rates of cabbage can let out flower stalks. If the conditions for cultivation are favorable, then the first harvest after the emergence of shoots can be expected in a month.
What is cabbage pak choi
This is an annual cruciferous plant, although there are also two-year varieties. A distinctive feature of how Chinese cabbage grows is that it does not have a developed rhizome. It forms a kind of rosette of leaves from 30 to 70 cm tall. There are two main types of this vegetable - with green and white petiole. The culture is frost-resistant and early, and the two-year-old is also prone to the formation of arrows in the second year. What does Chinese cabbage look like?
Cabbage roots are immersed in the ground no more than 15 cm. It can be grown in a greenhouse at any time of the year, outdoors only in summer. Pereopyleniya plants can occur exclusively with the Beijing "relative". Chinese kale - a storehouse of vitamins and minerals, as well as, like all vegetables, contains a lot of fiber. This is an indispensable product for losing weight or people with diabetes.
It is also necessary to grow Chinese cabbage in the garden because it perfectly removes slags and toxins from the body, and has a general health effect due to the whole complex of vitamins. Daily use of vegetables makes blood vessels more durable and elastic. Vitamin A helps renew the skin, and folic acid contributes to the proper development of the fetus in pregnant women.
In vegetable farming, they mainly cultivate several varieties that are best adapted to garden conditions:
- Vesnyanka. The most precocious leaf variety - seedlings appear within a few days, and in less than a month you can eat fresh leaves.
- Lebedushka. The term of its full maturation is 40 days or a little more. Differs large (up to 40 cm in diameter) upright outlet. White 35-centimeter scapes make up the bulk of the plant. Very unpretentious variety, adapts well to difficult climatic conditions.
- Alenushka. It has a massive petiole and an impressive rosette of leaves. It is considered the most delicious variety.
- Peahen. Hybrid, which is the result of the interbreeding of Chinese and Chinese cabbage. Its main advantage is an unusually juicy and crisp cutting. It can be planted at any time, as it is resistant to stem formation. In addition, Pava looks beautiful and long stored after collection.
- Chinese cabbage Swallow. Mid-season variety, ripening which is about 2 months.
Growing cabbage pak choi
In order for the vegetable to germinate better, the soil must be light and saturated with oxygen. As a rule, the seeds are planted at the end of March, but for this, there must be a high temperature outside, or the planting should be done at home. The most convenient way to plant Chinese cabbage pak choi for growing every two weeks.
Once the seedlings acquire five sheets, it can be transplanted into permanent soil, but remember that it does not take root well. For this reason, many recommend sowing cabbage immediately to the garden bed. It is necessary to replant very carefully, along with a clod of earth.
On the ridge of the plant is planted in rows, at least 30 cm apart. If these are seeds, then they are safely covered with a film, soon after that the first shoots will appear.
If possible, planting can be treated with ordinary wood ash, which scares cruciferous flea dangerous for any cabbage.
It is recommended to prepare the land for planting in the fall - to dig, fertilize. It is best to make organic fertilizers in the calculation of 10 l / m2. You can also add a small amount of lime and superphosphate fertilizers. With the onset of spring, the ridge should be wrapped with foil so that they can quickly thaw and be ready for planting.
Chinese cabbage, cultivation and care for which are quite simple, requires certain rules for watering. Watering is necessary regularly until the seedlings are well acclimatized in the garden. In the future, watering is necessary only in drought conditions, when precipitation does not fall longer than two weeks. In this case, the calculation is as follows: for 1 m² of land you need to pour out 20 liters of water at room temperature or slightly warmer.
To improve the harvest of Chinese cabbage planted in open ground, you need to spud carefully.
It is best to spud 3 weeks before harvest.
The plant from time to time forms arrows and flowers, this is especially noticeable with an increase in the length of daylight. Therefore, some experienced agronomists recommend planting a vegetable not earlier than in mid-July. Also, to feed and preserve moisture, you can enclose each plant with compost or hay.
Carefully it is necessary to monitor the appearance of cruciferous flea on a vegetable. These insects are able to destroy the entire crop in a short time. Preventive measure can be timely loosening and competent watering. From time to time in the morning you can mulch Chinese cabbage with ash or tobacco extract.
The solution prepared from household soap and wood ash is also quite effective.
Other solutions that are easy to prepare at home: tomato leaves + garlic, vinegar + dandelion roots, green wormwood + arrows of garlic. They can both be watered and sprayed with pak choi. In gardening stores sold and specialized drugs from cruciferous flea, which should be used according to the instructions.
Another dangerous pest is the cabbage tree. Inspect the leaves of the plant every day so as not to miss the eggs laid for her. If found, immediately eliminate and destroy them.
A garden slug can also be harmful, often attacking all the plants planted in open ground. They are destroyed with the help of bait from alcohol brew or bran. But you can simply collect snails with your hands or use special tools. Manual harvesting has an advantage over chemical treatment - harmful substances will not accumulate in the leaves.
Harvesting and storage
Pack-choi can be collected at any stage, from germination to full maturity.
Young cabbage must be cut at 3 centimeters above the soil level, the adult - a little higher.
After cutting, cabbage does not die, but continues to grow and will soon yield again the harvest. At the end of September, the time comes to uproot it, because in rainy and cool weather the plant will not be able to fully grow.
It is not recommended to keep Chinese cabbage for a long time, because the leaves tend to lose their freshness. The exception is storage in the freezer, where the vegetable can lie through all winter without losing vitamins. You can make a lot of delicious dietary dishes from pak-choi, for example, a salad with the addition of corn, green peas or mandarin slices.
Due to its ease of care, Chinese cabbage is gaining more and more popularity every year.
Diseases and pests
Care for Chinese cabbage lies in the regular inspection of its leaves. The following insects may invade the plant:
- Harmful Crusts,
- Cabbage Flies,
- Bed bugs
- Cruciferous flea,
- Repuli moths,
- Dark Clickers,
- Petioch mosquitoes.
A good protection against parasites will be a lutrasil or spunbond cover. A mixture of wood ash and snuff helps to scare cruciferous flea. This tool must be treated seedlings immediately after planting in open ground. Often, chlorophos or entobacterin is used to get rid of cabbage pests. Insecticides should be handled carefully following the instructions for use. To prevent insects from appearing, we should regularly weed the soil around the bushes.
Adverse conditions can provoke the appearance of diseases in cabbage:
- Alternaria. The fungus appears as dark spots with bright edges on the leaves.
- Quila. When a bacterial disease on the roots of plants appear thickening due to deformed cells. Cabbage begins to weaken and turn yellow. If the culture is heavily infected, then it fades and soon dies. This usually happens when high acidity or soil moisture.
- Downy mildew. The presence of the disease is characterized by white patches with a mealy patina formed on the leaves. Later the leaves begin to fall off. A weakened plant can also be affected by other diseases.
- Gray rot. The above-ground part is covered with brown spots with a gray bloom when a plant is affected by a fungus.
- Mucous bacteriosis. Bacterial disease manifests as watery spots on the leaves of growing or stored leaves. К появлению бактериоза приводят механические повреждения на листовых пластинах капусты.
- Черная ножка. Грибок появляется на прорастающих семенах или рассаде при излишней влажности субстрата, низкой температуре, малом количестве света или плотности посева. Болезнь ослабляет молодые растения, из-за чего они падают и часто погибают.
In the first stages of fungal diseases, the affected parts are removed, and the remaining leaves are treated with fungicides. For prophylactic purposes, seeds and seedlings should be treated with necessary preparations in order to enhance plant immunity against various diseases and pests. Do not forget about the conditions of maintenance and care culture.
Caring for an Asian crop does not require a lot of time and effort, but only if the rules of planting and cultivation are observed, you can achieve a high-quality and tasty harvest of juicy vegetables.