Cucumbers, peppers, carrots and even strawberries! All this can be grown on a balcony or windowsill and there are fresh, eco-friendly, and most importantly, free vegetables and fruits all year round. Right now we will tell you how to break a mini-garden in a city apartment.
Growing food in a city is popular all over the world. So, Britta Riley (Britta Riley) lives in a tiny apartment in New York. She came up with a hydroponics vertical garden. It takes up little space and brings a good harvest. Britta talked about her innovation at TED.
In the West, if the product is labeled eco, bio or organic, it means two things. First, these products are grown, harvested and processed in accordance with environmental standards, that is, without pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, growth promoters and other "nastiness". They have been certified, and serious organizations have guaranteed their quality. Secondly, organic food is much more expensive than usual.
In Russia, the market for "clean food" is just emerging. The bio-certification and control systems have not yet been formed. And the difference in prices between bioproduction and ordinary vegetables and fruits sometimes reaches 1,000%! Therefore, for us, the most eco, bio and organic are products that are grown by hand.
But not everyone has cottages and relatives in the village. What should the children of Urban do when they are accustomed to seeing potatoes washed and in nets, and the greens in vacuum packages? Grow vegetables and fruits right on the balcony or windowsill.
6 reasons to arrange a mini-garden at home
- You can pamper yourself with fresh, full of vitamins, vegetables and herbs all year round.
- Saving. Vegetables and fruits are expensive, especially in winter. With a home garden, you no longer have to adapt to the season (we eat plenty of tomatoes only in July, and apples - in September).
- You yourself can grow a plant from a tiny seed, you can pick fruits. This is a creative activity that charges with positive energy.
- You can improve your knowledge of biology, gain useful skills and acquire an exciting hobby.
- Your children will see how tomatoes, cucumbers and other vegetables grow, and they will understand that they do not miraculously materialize in the refrigerator, their cultivation is serious work.
- You can surprise friends and acquaintances. Imagine how you will brag about the crop, showing the window "beds". ,)
What you need to grow vegetables and herbs at home
- A place. This is usually a window sill or balcony. It is better if they go to the sunny side. If not, lamps will be required for additional lighting. If necessary, the window sill can expand or build racks for "beds" (the minimum distance between the shelves - 50 cm).
- Tanks. The beds for the home garden can be clay or plastic pots, wooden boxes. The main thing is to have holes in the bottom for draining the water. It is recommended to put containers on pallets.
- Priming. There are many soil mixtures for indoor gardens. As a rule, they make several layers: peat, compost, turf. You can prepare the soil yourself, and you can buy in a specialty store.
- Seeds. Some varieties of tomatoes or cucumbers grow well at home, while others do not even sprout. Therefore, before doing gardening, you need to sit on the forums, read articles on the Internet and find out which seeds to buy.
In addition, you may need fertilizer, fertilizer, a thermometer and a vessel for settling water (house plants are watered with water at room temperature, separated from chlorine).
The benefits of green on the windowsill
Planting a house with fresh greens can be a good source of income. If you plant and grow plants at home correctly, you can turn it fascinating hobby into a profitable profession. You can grow dill, parsley or cilantro, not only for yourself but also for sale. And you can limit the planting and cultivation of vitamins on the windowsill for their loved ones. Growing fresh greens on the windowsill is definitely worth it because:
- Under the capricious weather of the Russian Central Band, growing greens on a window sill is much simpler and more reliable than at the dacha: you do not need to cover seedlings or build a greenhouse, and you do not need to wait for the weather forecast with alarm, waiting for the next night frost. The houses are light and warm, and the plants are safe in any weather,
- Greens require a minimum of costs, it is “cheap and cheerful”
- Their green plants are environmentally friendly, they can be eaten by both adults and children, without risking poisonous pesticides,
- And finally, the main thing: to grow greens at home all year. When it is cold outside the window, a small garden grows green on the windowsill. It gives vitamins, improves mood and saves from seasonal depression.
Before you grow fresh vitamins on the windowsill, you can watch the training video or consult with experienced gardeners. For a start, you can limit the cultivation of a single variety of green plants, for example, to grow only parsley. But there are gardeners who prefer to grow several varieties simultaneously. This option of growing homemade vitamins also has its advantages.
In order to grow greens on the windowsill (of one variety or different), a novice gardener will need:
- Plastic containers for garden land,
- Garden land, packaged. It can be brought from the dacha. However, it is best to purchase garden soil in specialized stores, because then the land brought from the dacha can contain eggs of dangerous pests and parasites
- Green plant seeds. You can buy them, or you can take them from your own garden or borrow them from other summer residents,
- Small watering can for watering,
- Shovel for loosening the soil. The spatula must be narrow and small, because a large broad spatula can injure the tender root system of plants,
- Mineral fertilizers. Eggshell, ground into powder, which is very rich in calcium, is also suitable as a top dressing.
Preparing everything you need, you can get to work. Before planting the first seeds into the ground, it is recommended to read specialized literature. You can also watch the instructional video on the Internet. In order for the first shoots to appear faster, the seeds that have been planted can be carefully covered with plastic wrap. The window should be well lit. Ideal - windows facing south or southeast.
In winter and late autumn, when the shortest light day comes, the dill on the windowsill needs additional lighting. To do this, you can use an ordinary desk lamp. Light need direct not at plants, and at an angle. From October to March, when the central heating is open 24 hours a day in the apartment, you should take care of the optimum air humidity. It is best to purchase an industrial air humidifier.
However, if this is not possible, you can simply put next to the window sill, which grows greens, filled with water pot. This "grandmother's" way to humidify the air is very effective. If the house has pets, especially cats, containers. Must be unavailable for them. No cat will miss the opportunity to dig in the ground with fresh green grass. Therefore, if the gardener does not want his works to be in vain, the greens must be kept out of the reach of pets.
It is possible to grow all year round practically any greens. However, growing conditions depend on the particular crop. It is believed that the easiest way to grow parsley, dill and green onions.
However, it is not only these crops that can be grown on a windowsill. Gardeners usually grow on their window sills for themselves and for sale The following types of green plants:
Some of these plants are more demanding to care, and some less demanding. Plants with a strong spicy smell, such as basil, can cause allergies, so growing them at home is not recommended if there are allergies at home. Basil and cilantro are southern plants, so they are the most thermophilic. But dill and parsley can grow well at lower temperatures. Leaf lettuce is very demanding for watering.
Easiest grow green onionsThis task can be done by any child of primary school age: the bulb is placed in a jar of water, and her green feathers begin to grow actively. However, even green onions will not grow at home if the apartment is cold and dry air.
If some kind of green has not risen or not caught on, do not panic. You can try to plant another species, maybe this time everything will turn out. So, using the method of trial and error, a novice gardener will choose for himself one or several favorite crops and focus on growing them. However, usually absolutely any greens grows well on windowsills. The main thing is to properly care for the seedlings and periodically add fertilizing to the soil. In summer, young greens can be brought to the balcony or loggia, and there it will begin to grow by leaps and bounds.
General process description
Planting method depends on what the gardener chose to plant at home. However, there are general recommendations regarding the process of planting and growing these crops at home.
For to grow on the windowsill dill, parsley or any other greens, you must:
- Three-quarters fill the container with garden soil. If this is land from the dacha, you need to remove stones and other garbage from it,
- Sow pre-prepared seeds of selected plants into the ground,
- Carefully fill the ground with the ground,
- Cover tightly with clear plastic wrap,
- Wait for the first shoots. As soon as they appear, the film can be safely removed.
If an amateur gardener is forced to leave for a few days, the greens may die due to a lack of watering. In this case, the system will come to the aid of autowatering. It is best to choose drip irrigation, because it involves a more rational flow of water than automatic irrigation using a capillary mat.
It is necessary to water the first shoots of young greens very carefully, so as not to injure the small fragile shoots. You can use the old "grandmother's" irrigation method for this: take water into your mouth and gently spray it out of your mouth on the ground. Such watering does not hurt the plants, but at the same time will help them grow faster. And also spray the ground with water from a spray bottle. When the seedlings are stronger, they can be watered with an ordinary watering can. So, plastic watering cans, which are sold in toy stores, are well suited for watering any room greens.
Before growing greens on the windowsill, the gardener must decide what he needs it for: in order to pamper people close with vitamins, or for profit. Many plant species, such as dill, grow rather slowly. In this regard, those who grow greens for sale, inevitably use powerful fertilizers and growth stimulants. These funds help to get a good harvest. However, they can adversely affect the taste of the greens and its chemical composition.
Green loves spacetherefore, it is necessary to remove all unnecessary from the window sill on which the containers are placed. If you ignore this recommendation, bulky items that are on the balcony (for example, boxes or household appliances) may obscure the sunlight. Green plants suffering from a deficiency of light grow very poorly. If there are several containers with plants on the windowsill, they should not be located close to each other, but at a sufficient distance. It is very important for the proper growth and development of home greens.
Those who have ever grown greens on their windowsill know that it is very interesting to observe the process of the appearance of fragile plants. Growing fresh herbs can be turned into an exciting hobby for the whole family. Both adults and children will be happy to join this process. The main thing - to know what conditions are required young greens. It is best to start with the most unpretentious cultures, gradually moving to more capricious. Eating fresh greens can be daily, without any restrictions. Dish flavored with homemade dill or parsley, gets a unique taste and wonderful smell.
1. Green onions
The head of my "hit parade", of course, green onions. Probably at least once in his life he grew every one on the windowsill, even if only in childhood - out of curiosity. This is the perfect plant for the home garden: fast growing, unpretentious, useful.
As planting material You can use onion sets (coarse fraction - samples), and the usual turnip. I tried both options, the crop, of course, is less from the set (or small turnip) - the onion is depleted faster. But the feather - for my taste - is softer and more tender. In addition, a small onion takes up less space when landing. A large bulb gives more greenery, the feather from it, as a rule, is larger, and it is possible to get a harvest from it longer.
As a planting material can be used and small bulbs. Photo author
If your turnip is not so much to use for forcing, you can buy it specially in the autumn of samples - in supermarkets and specialized country shops it is sold at the end of the season with good discounts. I would not advise buying such planting material on a turnip, but for distillation - just right.
Plant onion for distillation can be in small containers with water or nutrient solution (so that the bulb does not in any way fall into the water, but only touched it) or in the ground. I personally like the second option more: the bulbs on the water often start to rot, exuding a specific aroma, I have never had such an incident with soil.
In the soil for planting, I will certainly bring in a hydrogel soaked in Gumi solution (this biological product strengthens the plants, additionally nourishes them, increases resistance to diseases). Under room conditions, the soil substrate dries out quickly, and the hydrogel does not allow the bulbs to suffer from moisture deficiency.
To always be with the harvest, it is best to plant onions regularly - every 10-14 days. Then by that time, as from the first “bed” the crop will be fully harvested, the greens will be ready for the next - and so on until the very spring.
Box with green onions. Photo author
For planting I use small plastic boxes. I pour claydite to the bottom (there are no openings for the drainage of excess moisture in the boxes, therefore drainage is necessary), from above - soil with hydrogel to about half of the box. Lightly compacted mixture, planted in her bulbs close to each other, without digging them into the soil. Plentifully watered - that's all.
Since I usually plant already sprouted bulbs, the harvest does not have to wait long. I do not spend any specific procedures (pruning, soaking, and the like), which are often recommended when forcing the onion to the pen, I don’t see any particular need, and there is always not enough time. But if you, friends, have such experience, and you see the advantages of such processing, by all means share your opinion in the comments - recommendations of practitioners are always invaluable!
I will say right away: this plant itself grew only once - its gastronomic properties did not impress. Personally, I prefer leaf mustard - also a very undemanding cruciferous plant. But taste, as you know, is a purely individual thing, and I still have the courage to recommend watercress as one of the best crops for home gardens. Why?
- First of all, he - like the bow - is exceptionally unassuming. Those who do not have the ability or desire to spend time on time-consuming care for the "beds" on the windowsill, this will certainly appreciate, I suppose.
- Secondly, it is very early: in 2-3 weeks after the emergence of shoots (and they, too, will not keep you waiting), you will be pleased with the young vitamin greens.
- ThirdlyNature has given cress a variety of beneficial properties: regular eating of this culture helps to normalize blood pressure, improve digestion and sleep. It was used as a remedy for scurvy, and the juice was treated for anemia and beriberi.
Watercress - harvest in two weeks
If you have children, try sowing watercress with them - at least for an experiment. This plant is one of those with which you should start joining gardening, because failure is almost impossible!
Watercress successfully grows on windowsills even in winter - it is very cold-resistant (the temperature from +15 to +18 degrees is considered ideal for it) and is not picky about light. The only thing he needs is regular moistening of the soil and air, since this plant does not like drought. To the greens on the table was constantly, it is recommended to sow the next portion of watercress every 7-10 days.
I recommend reading about watercress cultivation in the article How to easily and quickly grow watercress on a window sill.
3. Листовой салат
Как большой любитель салата, я не могла, конечно же, обойти его вниманием. This culture is a bit more demanding than green onions and watercress, but for the sake of juicy greens it is worth trying. What to consider?
- First of all, the salad at home needs more light - it is a light-requiring culture. The lack of lighting will lead to the early formation of peduncles. The problem is partially solved by the choice of varieties. My Lollo Ross and Lollo Bionda (my favorites) proved to be a good idea for me; they also recommend the New Year, Vitamin and Emerald lace varieties for home gardens.
- Secondly, lettuce painfully reacts to drought and heat: leaves grow coarse and become bitter, flower stalks form quickly.
- Thirdly, shoots of lettuce need to thin out. It is recommended to do it twice: a week after the emergence of shoots at a distance of 1-2 cm between seedlings, and in the phase of 2-3 true leaves - at a distance of 4-5 cm. If you thicken the crops, the plants will stretch, weaken, and you will most likely harvest will not see.
Young plants of leaf lettuce. Photo author
From growing cabbage forms of lettuce at home, it is better to give up until there is enough experience: they are more demanding and need more thorough care than their leafy counterparts, and, as a rule, they have a longer growing season. Frankly speaking, I, too, did not even try to get a leaf salad at home to grow to standard sizes, which it reaches in the garden — I had enough tender young leaves. But, if the place allows, and there are suitable conditions for a salad, it is quite realistic to receive large sockets.
Parsley green house can be obtained in two ways: sowing seeds in the ground and distillation from harvested roots. The second method, although it requires some preliminary preparation, is generally simpler. Even if you have not prepared planting material since autumn, you can look for high-quality root vegetables for forcing in vegetable departments of stores.
For our purposes, unconditionally healthy mid-sized parsley root crops (30-60 g in weight) with no signs of wilting are suitable. They must preserve the apical bud - strongly cut plants will not give greens.
Well moistened the soil in a box or flower pot, plant roots, covering their tops with a primer. Too long ones can be cut off (coal is added to the cut to avoid rot) or can be planted obliquely. The latter option is considered even more preferable than the usual landing.
Parsley seed at home. Photo author
If you grow parsley from seeds, you need to take into account two nuances: the plant is light-requiring, and its seeds germinate rather slowly. When I sowed the pot with parsley, I settled down relative to the light source not too successfully, and the seedlings immediately began to stretch. And it was possible to accelerate the germination due to the pre-soaking of the seeds in the Gumi solution (I will certainly tell you more about this wonderful preparation).
Parsley is not afraid of chills, so it feels great on the window sill. The plant also does not impose any special requirements on moisture - we water it on demand, depending on the conditions in the room. I’ve traditionally been putting hydrogel under all such plantings, so I don’t usually have problems with watering my home garden.
Read more about growing this plant at home in the article How to grow parsley on a windowsill.
This crop will require a little preliminary preparation: in order to receive the harvest all winter, it is necessary to prepare in autumn planting stock for forcing. Small chinkers of chives are dug up and, having cut off a feather, put in boxes or pots which store in the cellar or on a balcony.
In winter, they are brought into a warm room as needed and placed closer to the light. The feather at chives grows quickly, it can be pulled out from the bush selectively or cut off completely. I like its taste - more gentle and softer than that of ordinary green onions, so (given the ease of growing), I would not hesitate to add a chives to my list of the best crops for the home garden.
As my experience has shown, at home, a crop from one plant can be obtained twice, after which it is depleted, even with good care and dressings. Therefore, it is reasonable to prepare several containers with planting material to grow greens throughout the winter. Well, in early spring chives are one of the first to grow in the garden.
Greens chives - harvest from home "beds". Photo author
Planting material for distillation is advisable to take from those plantings that you intend to thin out or completely remove - plants used for distillation are no longer restored, and after the final harvest, they are removed.
Important nuance: Chives are very sensitive to moisture - with its lack, the feather grows coarse and begins to noticeably bitter, flower stalks form quickly. I put an experiment: in the same containers I planted the same delenki, one - in ordinary soil, the second - in a mixture of soil with hydrogel. Visible, so to speak, with the naked eye, differences in the growth and development of plants have confirmed the assumption about the benefits of using a hydrogel in this case.
Let's sum up
Here is such a list. I tried to grow a house and radish, and dill, and cilantro, in my childhood I planted beans and peas. I expelled the greens of beets and carrots, tried to keep the basil transplanted from the garden ... In short, there were many different experiments, and these cultures were among my favorites.
Decisive when choosing There were such factors as ease of growing and undemanding conditions. I will repeat what I have said more than once: you can grow almost any garden crop at home, but not everyone has the opportunity to do so. Therefore, the best plants for the home garden - those that are not difficult to grow anyone.
Let me remind you: The garden on the balcony or windowsill: the features of home gardening - the theme of the next lesson in our Academy gardener. The recommendations of the specialists of the Agrofirm Search, together with whom we organized this project, will help beginners to quickly learn garden wisdom, and experienced gardeners to systematize and deepen their knowledge.
What do you grow on windowsills? With what in my story agree, and with what could argue, based on my own experience? Share your opinion in the comments, tell us about your favorite plants!
Greens at home
To grow greens at home, you may need:
- wide and shallow pots or containers,
- high-quality substrate for vegetable seedlings - the best combination of biohumus and coconut fiber in a 1: 2 ratio,
- drainage material - small pebbles or expanded clay,
- plastic caps or bags for making mini-greenhouses,
- fine spray for watering the soil,
- liquid mineral or organic fertilizer,
- phytolamps or fluorescent lamps for organizing long daylight hours.
You can grow greens on a window sill from seeds, or you can buy greens already planted in pots and containers in the garden center, plant them in larger containers at home and take care of them by cutting the crop - these plants will last for several months. And you can propagate the purchased greens by cuttings. However, greens grown from seeds, you will enjoy longer.
For growing on the windowsill, usually undersized crops are chosen. When buying seeds, be sure to pay attention to their shelf life, since the seed of some plants quickly loses germination. When choosing varieties, give preference to early, or early, and bushy.
How to grow parsley?
Planting and leaving home parsley do not require much effort. Landing methods are divided into:
- Sowing root vegetables. For this, root crops are planted at a distance of 3 cm from each other in a pot of soil. Water plentifully, preferably every day. Green sprouts will appear in 2-3 days. It is necessary every day to turn the pot with a different side to the light, so that the turned greens are evenly illuminated.
- Sowing seeds. With this method, greens will appear no sooner than in a month. Before planting, the seeds must be filled with a bright solution of manganese. You can sow seeds with or without a picking. When picking, it is necessary to sow the seeds, first in small pots, then, when they hatch, select the strongest sprouts and transplant into the main large container with the ground.
Planting greenery at home on the windowsill also means proper care of the plant. The optimum ambient temperature for parsley is about +15. When it is too warm, the leaves will brighten. Lower temperatures can drop, nothing terrible will happen.
It is also good to feed the greens to improve the quality of the crop. Any garden fertilizer will do.
We grow dill
Dill can be grown at home all year round. But the cultivation of dill at home on the windowsill in winter will require a little more effort than in summer and spring. It is necessary to constantly maintain the desired temperature, choose the right lighting.
Before planting, seeds should also be held in dissolved potassium permanganate. It is necessary to put a drainage on the bottom of the pot. When seeds are sown, be sure to cover the pot on top of the film.
Dill "loves" the air temperature of 18 degrees. When it rises or falls a little, nothing terrible will happen. The plant is moisture-loving, so in the summer it will have to be watered more often. In winter, the amount of water can be reduced. 30 days after sowing, the first harvest should appear.
Many housewives grow onions all year round. If the bulb is not sprouted, then it must be cut into the bottom before planting. You can pre-soak. The best temperature for growing onions is 18-24 degrees. But when it is too hot, above 30 degrees, the onions can stop growing.
Everyone knows that onions can grow even without land. To do this, the bulb is simply put in a jar of water. But this method often leads to onion bulking. In order to avoid this, it is necessary to raise the bulb above the water surface. It is required to cut out bulbs of cardboard size from cardboard or paper and strengthen the sheet on the surface of the container. You should also add a solution of potassium permanganate.
The first ten days after planting it is necessary to hide the bow from the light. This is the period of formation of the roots. Then you must put the bow on the light. It is better if it will be consecrated with an electric lamp.
Growing green salad
Delicious and healthy green salad can be grown at home all year round. But when the plant has already yielded a crop, it should be removed, then new seeds should be planted.
Salad - moisture-loving, light-loving plant. It should be watered more often, even splashing leaves with water. In winter, you need to create the most bright atmosphere.
After planting the seeds in containers on the windowsill at home, you need to cover with a film until sprouts appear. Usually they come up in three days. The ambient temperature for salad should be 18 degrees.
General recommendations for growing herbs on the windowsill
On the window sill in the apartment you can grow almost any green. The main thing is to choose the right variety and observe the plant requirements for soil composition, air humidity, irrigation, temperature conditions.
- Choose unpretentious varieties, and better hybrids, specially bred for indoor conditions. This will simplify care and increase the chances of a harvest. If you are not confident in your abilities and want to get a quick result, buy not seeds, but ready seedlings in pots.
- Practical pots for greenery on the windowsill should have a rectangular shape. Take a wide and shallow dishes. Plastic containers are quite suitable, they are not heavy and practical in care. Ideal for reusable use. Read more about choosing containers here.
- Buy for green light and well-drained soil. You can prepare a mixture of vermicompost with coconut fiber. The proportion should be 1: 2. At the bottom of the pot be sure to fill a layer of small stones, expanded clay, crushed foam or make another drainage.
- If the window is cool or blowing, use plastic caps to create mini-greenhouses. You can buy ready-made or make a package with your own hands.
- Optimum light day for green pets - 10-13 hours. In winter, light is not enough, especially on the north side. To illuminate the greenery on the windowsill, install the lamp, it is better to buy fluorescent or special fitolamps. Ordinary lights will not work.
- Do not neglect dressing, pick up fertilizer complexes for watering every 2-3 weeks. But make the solution less concentrated than for open ground.
- After a day or more, spray a green pet with a fine spray, especially if the air in the apartment is dry.
- Do not be lazy to turn the pots in different directions towards the light so that the plant develops evenly.
- To grow greenery to the apartment is better to take the window sill in the kitchen. The bedroom is not the best place for frequent watering, spraying and applying fertilizer. In the bathroom, the grass will look ridiculous, for her landscaping more appropriate other plants.
If you do not want to be limited to just greens, then study our tips on organizing and decorating the garden on the windowsill and find out what else you can grow in a city apartment all year round. However, newcomers are best start with herbs and indoor pepper. Plants difficult to cultivate may disappoint with the result and discourage the process.
How to grow parsley on the window
For the cultivation of parsley in pots need a mixture of one part of peat, the same amount of humus and twice the volume of garden soil, decontaminated solution of potassium permanganate. But it is easier to buy ready-made universal primer.
When choosing seeds, give preference to early, rapidly ripening varieties. This information is listed on the packaging. Beautifully looked low-grade species and curly parsley. It is important that the selected variety easily endures frequent pruning, because you will constantly tear the leaves to decorate dishes.
Optimal varieties for indoor conditions:
- Russian feast.
To increase parsley germination, experienced gardeners advise keeping the seeds warm in a damp cloth for two or three days. Then you need to squeeze out excess water, put a cloth with seeds in a bag and put it in the fridge for a few days.
The basic rules for growing parsley on the windowsill:
- Choose landing tanks with a height of at least 15 cm.
- During the landing, be sure to keep a distance of at least 5 cm between the holes.
- Deepen the seeds to a depth of 0.7-1.4 mm.
- Immediately after sowing, cover the pot with plastic film or a special polyethylene hothouse and place it on the illuminated window sill.
- Provide a temperature of 17-21 degrees.
- Moisten crops, but not abundantly, otherwise mold will form. Film every day, remove, providing access to air.
- With proper care, parsley seedlings will appear in one and a half to two weeks. The film can be removed.
- Water greens two or three times a week. Provide extra food once a month.
- The optimum temperature for room parsley is 15-18 ° C during the day and 10-12 ° C at night.
- Keep greens from attacking pests. Often the spider mite passes from other plants to parsley.
When harvesting, try not to tear the tops, but thin out rows. So you will improve the conditions for further growth.
Features of the cultivation of dill in the apartment
When choosing which greens can be grown on a windowsill in winter, pay attention to dill - the second most popular spice in the kitchen.
To enjoy the summer aroma in a month, buy varieties with fast ripening: Gribovsky, Carousel, Early Miracle, Aurora, Grenadier. You can plant on one sill varieties with different ripening period, to first use the early, and then go to the later, which just have time to grow.
- To select good seeds, soak them in warm water for two days, changing water to fresh every 12 hours. All that pops up, throw out mercilessly, and use the rest of the material for landing.
- Moisten the ground in the pots and make holes 1-1.5 cm deep, leaving about 4 cm gaps.
- Pour the soil on top, sprinkle with water and cover with polyethylene, as described above for parsley.
- Put in a warm (from 18 to 20 degrees) and protected from sunlight place for a week.
- When shoots appear, remove the film and put a pot of greens on the window sill. If it seems that there are a lot of sprouts, thin it out, leaving around 3 cm of space around each shoot.
- Water as the soil dries. It is better to take a spray as an assistant, so as not to damage the young shoots.
- Rotate the pot with different sides to the sun so that the dill grows evenly.
- Fertilize once in 30-45 days.
Fragrant basil on the window
Basil is another popular choice for growing fresh greens on a windowsill in a city apartment. There are many varieties of basil in nature, but only a few dozen are suitable for human consumption. In cooking, use the leaves of the plant, they are ideal for salads, and for meat dishes, and for marinades.
Лучшими сортами для комнаты считаются:
- Маркиз – отличается компактностью и красивой формой шара,
- Карлик – невысокий кустик, есть виды с зеленью фиолетового отлива,
- Гвоздичный – привлекает приятным ароматом и высокой декоративностью.
- Лимонный – нежный аромат лимона и крона с красивыми светло-зелеными листочками.
- Фиолетовый – яркий с крупными листьями кустик.
Семена базилика отличаются long germination. To speed up the process, hold the seed in a warm place for 10-14 days, then soak in warm water for a day. Discard the floating specimens.
- Make holes in the ground and plant the seeds at a distance of about 3 cm from each other. It is unnecessary to make large intervals, since not all crops will ascend.
- For acceleration of shoots make a polyethylene greenhouse. The plant loves light and heat - provide a temperature of 25 ° C.
- Moisten the mini bed as it dries.
- When basil rises, thin out the excess, so that there is 5 cm of free space around each plant.
- Put on a well-lit window sill and regularly take care of plantings - water, turn, fertilize, loosen the soil. Water for irrigation is heated to 30 ° C.
- Basil loves light, so be sure to install a backlight lamp on the windowsill and provide a light day for at least 15 hours.
For culinary purposes tear off the leaves from the tops of the bush. This will prevent flowering, which makes grass unsuitable for eating.
The ideal sort of salad for growing at home
If you are going to plant greens on the windowsill for the first time, pay attention to the watercress. This is one of the most unpretentious and fast-growing plants. Watercress seeds do not require long soaking, and shoots are resistant to temperature and light shocks. The best varieties: Pepper, Common, Broadleaf, Curly.
- To get a bountiful harvest, soak the cress seeds in a weak solution of potassium permanganate for a couple of hours.
- Make a good drainage at the bottom of the pot and fill it with floral soil from the bag or with a mixture of two parts of coconut fiber and one biohumus.
- Prepare wells 5–10 mm deep, sow basil and sprinkle the grooves with soil. Moisten and cover with foil.
- The first micro-greens on the windowsill will appear in a week. Keep the pot at a temperature of 17-20 degrees.
- The higher the temperature, the more abundant the watering should be.
Watercress belongs to the most unpretentious plants, it can be grown without any land. Someone does it right in the water, and someone on foam rubber. But in a pot on the kitchen windowsill the greens look more attractive.
How to quickly get green onions in winter
To grow green onions at home on the windowsill, you can use two options - in the soil in a pot and in water. The second method is characterized by high speed and is well known to everyone since childhood. You just need to fill the glasses with water and place the bulbs in them. It is better to take those that have already begun to sprout.
The nuances of growing lin water:
- Water should be warm - about 40 degrees.
- If the bulb has not yet begun to germinate, it is recommended to cut the tip by 1.5 cm.
- In the water should be only the roots, the bulb can not be immersed more than one-third.
By the way, it is similarly possible to grow an avocado from a stone at home and get a beautiful tree.
Instead of cans, it is convenient to use egg packs or special pots for growing onions at home. This is a container with holes for the bulbs. Looks on the windowsill neat and beautiful.
In the soil to grow green onions longer and more difficult. Use for planting bulbs, as the harvest from the seeds can not wait.
The process of planting bulbs for herbs in the bottle, see the video.
Fragrant mint in the home kitchen
A great choice for home - mint with a wonderful aroma. Peppermint is a perennial plant that is easy to grow on a window sill with the help of root layers or seeds. The second method will take more time, but it will bring more pleasure.
Peaty or loose humus soil with an acidity of not more than 5-6 pH is suitable for growing mint. Feel free to buy a universal primer in the store and do not worry. The ideal temperature is 18-25 degrees. Plant good lighting is required.
- It is necessary to divide a bush in the fall after end of vegetation. Carefully divide the rhizomes so that each portion has processes with dormant buds.
- Fill two-thirds of the pots with nutrient primer.
- Carefully distribute the seedlings and sprinkle them with soil.
- Pour warm water.
The first leaves should appear in about two weeks.
If you bought a bunch of fresh mint, then try to get planting material by grafting. Just put a few twigs in the water, dipping them in the root formation stimulator (roots). The roots will appear in 8-14 days. It will only plant the seedlings in pots.
- Sow mint seeds for growing on a windowsill better in mid-spring.
- Fill the pot with soil, prepare the wells with a depth of 0.5 cm and moisten the ground.
- Sow the seeds and sprinkle on top of a small amount of the same soil.
- Cover with foil hothouse.
- At a temperature of 19-25 degrees shoots appear a couple of weeks after sowing.
- Control soil moisture, avoid drying out and excessive moisture. Watering by spraying so as not to blur the crops.
Growing mint in the winter, do not abuse watering. Let the soil dry out slightly. Do not allow drafts. Water more abundant in summer, but protect fresh greens from excess direct sunlight. If conditions allow, use mint to create a fragrant atmosphere in the garden on the balcony.
What else can you grow on the windowsill in the apartment
If you are going to grow greens on a windowsill in winter, you can choose almost any type of fast-growing spicy herbaceous plants. Oregano and sage are well honored in the apartment, they are not demanding to the light and can withstand partial shade.
Few troublesome unpretentious fragrant melissa. The seeds of lemon balm should be simply sown into the soil to a depth of 0.5 cm without soaking, watered and moistened regularly. Greenery will turn in a few days. Melissa loves light, its lack reduces the production of essential oils that give aroma to the leaves.
It will require care, but it looks very original on the window. celery. The easiest way to get celery in water. Just cut off the root of the stem and leave it in a container with water in a sunny location. In a few days new sprouts and roots will appear. You can transplant the plant into the soil or leave it in water. Cut green leaves as needed and care for your pet if transplanted.
Green seeds cost a penny. Try, experiment and with different types and variants of landing. Create your spicy mini-garden for the joy of yourself and the envy of the passers-by peering through the windows. And for more effect decorate the pots with your own handsusing our selection of ideas. So you can significantly save on the purchase of containers.
Having made your hobby growing greens on the windowsill at home, you will have fun, decorate the kitchen and you will always have on hand spicy herbs for salads and soups. This hobby is ideal for joint leisure with children and husband. Good harvest to you all year round!
What is needed
To grow greens on the windowsill, we need:
- good quality land
- lighting lamps,
- various capacities for landing.
For growing greens on the windowsill, high-quality soil is needed - black soil or special mixtures, which are sold in abundance in stores. Such mixtures are enriched with fertilizers and do not contain debris, various pests and their larvae, which can reduce your work to zero. After all the necessary will be prepared, proceed to the cultivation.
For the cultivation of onions on the pen, you can take a large onion sets or the most common onions, used even for food purposes in an ordinary grocery store. Small bulbs are no good, as a small bulb will very quickly deplete, but the feathers turn out to be tender. But a large onion for a longer time will give a lot of greenery.
Distillation in water
The most primitive way of forcing a bow on a feather is to place it in water. To do this, take a small container of suitable size and fill it with water or nutrient solution. Onion set in such a way that until it reaches the liquid only its bottom. Water should be changed daily. Such a planting can trigger bulb rotting.
Distillation in the ground
But if you put a bow in the ground, then this will not happen. Earth poured into a shallow container. If the tank has no drainage holes, then in order to protect the roots from rotting, you need to arrange a drainage layer on its bottom using pebbles, expanded clay, broken bricks. The bulbs need not be planted deeply, but tightly. Cramped they are not afraid. But it is often necessary to water the bulbs so that the earth does not dry out.
For growing onions can be used not only pots and boxes. You can arrange a vertical distillation. To do this, in specialized stores for summer residents sell special vases, or you can adapt for this plastic bottle. In it cut the side holes and fill it with earth. The bow grows in such vertical capacity very well, and besides, it looks original.
Capacity for sowing
To grow watercress, do not need a large and deep capacity. It will be enough ordinary tray. It is filled with a thin layer (no more than 3 cm) of peat soil, cotton or paper napkins, folded in several layers, thus obtaining a substrate for planting.
Watercress is planted thickly, then young shoots support each other. The seeds are gently pressed into the resulting substrate and the tray is placed on the windowsill. There will be good and light crops. Do not even need additional lighting.
Watering and temperature
When growing watercress, you must observe the watering regime. It is very important to ensure that the ground in the tray does not dry out, but it is not advisable to fill it either. In addition, this plant is not delighted with the heat, so the temperature in which it grows should not rise above 18 degrees C. In order to feel well in winter, you need to keep them closer to the window glass. Needle watercress need every 10 days, then this green will always be on your table.
Temperature and watering
It is necessary to comply with the temperature regime. Leaf lettuce loves watering and cool. In a dry and hot room, and even with insufficient watering lettuce leaves will be bitter, rough, and there will be a rapid formation of peduncles. Therefore, the best place for him is a glassed-in balcony.
Sheet lettuce seeds are sown very tightly (no more than 1 cm) and covered with cellophane to create a greenhouse effect. In the future, seedlings should be thinned up to 5 cm. In addition to abundant watering, the plant needs good lighting.
Appearance of arrows
Arrows appear on the plant, signaling that it is unsuitable for food. Obsolete plants remove and sow other seeds.
The dream of many housewives to grow a mini-garden on the windowsill in the apartment. And so there must be parsley.
Sow the seeds in conventional containers filled with high-quality soil, cups of peat or decorative vases. Starting sowing, seeds need to soak in a solution of manganese. Parsley seeds will sprout for a long time.
The plant is very fond of light, so in the winter it will need additional lighting. But the heat of parsley is not needed, she likes cool. For the plant loves abundant watering, but in winter it is necessary to reduce watering.
After 40-50 days after the emergence of shoots, you can begin cutting the greens, and for a long time it will delight you with its freshness.
In general, growing parsley from seeds for a long time and you need to start it in advance. To speed up this process, it is possible to use rhizome for growing parsley. This is much easier to do in winter.
Parsley root can be dug in your garden or even bought at a grocery store. It must be healthy, free from damage and signs of wilting, and the apical bud must be whole.
It should be placed in a container filled with wet earth. Unnecessarily long roots planted obliquely. The first greenery will turn in a few days after planting, and after another two weeks you can use the leaves. The root will give you greens for six months.
In addition to the usual parsley, onion and lettuce on the windowsill you can grow basil. He will add a little bit of exotic to your mini-garden. You can grow any variety and color: purple and green. Grown its seeds and cuttings. The quickest way to grow is cutting.
Sprigs of basil can be bought in a vegetable shop, placed in water and after 10 days, when the roots appear, put in a container with soil. After 2-3 weeks, after the plant has started and starts growing, young lateral shoots can be cut. Basil, grown from cuttings, develops quickly, but also blooms faster, which means it will become unfit for food.
To always have fresh basil on the table, plantings should be rejuvenated every 3 months.
Growing basil with seeds requires more attention, but such a plant will live productively for about a year. Basil seeds should be soaked in manganese solution, cover with sown seeds with cellophane to create a microclimate, and grown seedlings transplanted into other pots. In fact, it is better to grow basil from seeds in spring, since in winter plants will need additional lighting up.
This plant will not only add spice to your dishes, but will also be a decoration of the kitchen. It is grown in the summer on the plot, and in the winter it lives well in an apartment. It needs a wide tank in which a sufficiently thick drainage is arranged.
Rosemary places high demands on lighting and fresh air. In winter, he needs the south side, and in the summer it must be transferred to the open ground, carried to a loggia or balcony, or at least put out of the window so that the leaves can accumulate the necessary amount of essential oils.
Rosemary is propagated by cuttings and seeds.
They have poor germination. They are kept wet for two days, then placed on the soil surface, covered with cellophane and sprayed with water from a spray bottle every day. If after a month the seedlings did not appear, then you need to sow other seeds. When the seedlings have at least 3 leaves, they are placed in more spacious containers.
But rosemary grown by grafting is much better. For growing use lignified shoot, which is located in a vessel with water or wet sand, until the roots appear, and then transplanted into a pot with soil.
It is necessary to water rosemary often, but moderately. It is better not to water it, than to fill it. But no need to get involved in overdrying the land, as with a lack of moisture the lower leaves of the plant will turn yellow. Excess water contributes to the rotting of the roots, and the plant dies. If in winter the plant is kept in the cold (up to +5 degrees C), then in the spring it will bloom. An adult plant must be trimmed to form a neat shrub.
This mini-garden can be arranged on the window of your apartment. As you can see, the greens are unpretentious and it is not difficult to grow it, even for an inexperienced person. Using this knowledge, you can at least a little extend the summer and in the winter to please yourself and loved ones with a green crop.