Kohlrabi is home to the Mediterranean. This vegetable culture known to mankind since the days of ancient Rome. Kohlrabi is appreciated and revered in Europe. In Russia, vegetable culture is not very popular, despite the fact that its useful properties are not inferior to broccoli. It is much tastier than cabbage.
Kohlrabi has a rather large dark green leaves. The stem develops faster than the head.
The plant is unpretentious in care and adapts well to various weather conditions. It tolerates cold weather.
Vegetable culture is used in cooking for cooking various dishes. In cooking, it is widely used in both raw and stewed or boiled.
"Stem turnip", not subjected to heat treatment, is often used in salads. Such dishes should be consumed as soon as possible after cooking, as over time, cabbage gives them juice.
The fact that kohlrabi overripe, said its fibrous and hard pulp. It is desirable to use such cabbage for preparation of hot dishes. Under the influence of very high temperatures, the fibrous part of the vegetable is boiled soft.
Kohlrabi has a lot of amazing useful propertiestherefore it is often used in medicine. The juice of this cabbage is one of the components of various popular recipes.
Those who want to lose weight often resort to a diet with kohlrabi. Fasting days are widely used to reduce weight.
Composition of kohlrabi
100 gr. Kohlrabi contains 44 kcal.
Nutritional value of the product:
In the “stem turnip” is much more vitamin C than in orange or lemon. It is rich in calcium, phosphorus, selenium, potassium, magnesium, iron, cobalt and mineral salts. It contains vegetable carbohydrates, proteins, and various enzymes. Cabbage pulp is very rich in glucose, sulfur compounds, fructose, vitamins PP, A, E, K, B1 and B2.
Kohlrabi: benefits and contraindications
The benefits of kohlrabi:
Kohlrabi is a dietary product, so it is desirable to use it for people suffering from excess weight. It contains tartronic acid, which prevents obesity and helps to lose weight.
- Improves the functioning of the digestive tract.
Vegetable culture removes harmful toxins from the body. It improves metabolism, gallbladder, liver, and also increases appetite.
- It is a means for the prevention of cancer.
Selenium contained in cabbage turnips helps to prevent cancer of the large intestine, organs of the urogenital system and the mammary glands.
- Improves the functioning of the nervous system.
Vegetable culture has a sedative effect on the nervous system, as well as relieves irritability, nervousness and is an excellent antidepressant.
- It has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial action.
Cabbage juice disinfects the oral cavity. It reduces the likelihood of stomatitis and gingivitis, and also inhibits the activity of carious microorganisms.
- It is a diuretic.
Stem turnip removes excess water from the body, resulting in a decrease in the amount of salts leading to the development of urolithiasis. The use of cabbage also reduces the likelihood of edema.
Selenium contained in vegetables inhibits the activity of bacteria and viruses.
- A decoction of kohlrabi roots is a great remedy for treating tuberculosis and asthma.
- Beneficial effect on blood vessels and heart.
Vegetable culture is desirable to use for people suffering from hypertension. This cabbage perfectly strengthens the vascular walls, therefore it is often used to treat anemia, ischemia, heart failure and other similar diseases. In addition, it removes from the blood excess cholesterol, therefore, prevents the occurrence and development of atherosclerosis.
- Extracts from the leaves of kohlrabi are one of the components of various creams.
Vegetables contain vitamins E and K, which are responsible for restoring the epithelium and increasing the tone of aging skin. Masks from the "stem turnip" have a rejuvenating effect.
Kohlrabi is not recommended to use and can harm:
- with her individual intolerance,
- with exacerbation of pancreatitis,
- with gastritis with high acidity.
Kohlrabi for weight loss
The composition of the "stem turnip" is arginine - a substance necessary for weight loss. It effectively burns the energy stored by the body - this is its next benefit.
In this cabbage is isoleucine - an amino acid, eliminating the extra pounds and supporting performance. Not surprisingly, a ten-day diet, the main product of which is kohlrabi, gives a good result. Weight goes about one kilogram per day.
The menu is as follows:
- Breakfast: one cup of coffee without sugar.
- Lunch: Kohlrabi salad.
- pour one chopped kohlrabi with a tablespoon of unrefined vegetable oil, - mix all ingredients, do not add salt.
In a day, one hard-boiled chicken egg can be added to this dinner. 3. Dinner: 250 grams of lean beef, fish or chicken (boiled), a glass of not very fat kefir.
Meals consumed during the diet can not be salted. If you feel hungry between meals, you can eat a few slices of “stem turnip”. Every day you need to drink at least two liters of fluid.
Fasting days with kohlrabi will help those who want to lose weight lose weight.
- Fasting day on kohlrabi and apples.
On the day you need to eat about 0.6 kg of “cabbage turnips” and 0.8 kg of unsweetened apples. These products can either alternate or make a salad without oil and salt. During the day you need to drink non-carbonated water or unsweetened tea (preferably green).
- Fasting day on kohlrabi and kefir.
During the day, you need to drink about one liter of nonfat kefir and eat about a pound of kohlrabi. From the cabbage you can make a salad with the addition of fresh or boiled vegetables.
Kohlrabi decoction for bronchial asthma and tuberculosis:
- prepare ingredients: 400 ml of boiled or purified water and 60 g of cabbage tops,
- fill the tops with water,
- put the tool on the fire, boil,
- keep on fire from 20 minutes to half an hour (after boiling),
- strain the broth, cool,
- during exacerbation of asthma, the drink should be consumed 100 ml a couple of times a day,
- with tuberculosis - 80 ml three times a day.
Attention: Kohlrabi, used for the preparation of medicinal raw materials, if it was grown in its own garden, must be stored for 3-5 months at a temperature of from 0 to 1 degree and a relative humidity of 45%.
Interesting facts about kohlrabi
- In Rome, cabbage-turnip stew was the most affordable dish for poor people.
- In France, kohlrabi is the most popular vegetable for weight loss. There are many recipes in local cookbooks that use it. Stem turnips are served in expensive French restaurants.
- In France, a special machine is used that “turns” kohlrabi into pasta. This product is then pickled in orange juice.
- “Stem turnip” is considered to be the most precocious and unpretentious of all cabbages.
Kohlrabi is a type of cabbage. The edible part of her stalk. It is a dietary product containing a large amount of glucose, fructose, sulfur, potassium, many vitamins and ascorbic acid, which is more in it than in orange or lemon. It tastes like ordinary cabbage, but sweeter and juicier. It is completely absent inherent sharpness cabbage.
This type of cabbage is especially popular in the countries of central and northern Europe, where it is valued for its taste and unpretentiousness in cultivation. This cabbage is on a par with the usual unchanged ingredient of borscht in Ukraine and Poland. Many use it in salads, including young green leaves. We have this variety is not so popular and very few people know about its benefits and useful properties.
How looks and grows kohlrabi cabbage
Kohlrabi cabbage belongs to the genus Cabbage. Cruciferous family. This is a two-year-old vegetable that forms a head in the first year, and a seed in the second year. In appearance, it is unlike the usual cabbage. Her heading is more like a turnip or celery tuber.
The exact place of origin is not known. According to some data, Scandinavian countries are homeland, on the other - Mediterranean countries or the territory of modern Germany. There are suggestions that it was first grown to grow in Tibet. What is known for sure - she was present at the tables of Europeans already in the Middle Ages, and as a cultivated plant, it was known in ancient Rome. They called it “cabbage turnip”: in German, “kol” means cabbage, and “rabi” - turnip.
In fact, kohlrabi is a stem vegetable, i.e. its edible part is an overgrown stalk. It is covered with light green or purple skin, has a soft, slightly fibrous, juicy pulp of white or cream-cream color.
Thick and large dark green leaves attached to the stem. Depending on the degree of maturity and variety, the size of the head can be in diameter from 10 to 50 centimeters. The average weight of commercial cabbage averages about 150 grams.
Kohlrabi is a very hardy vegetable and can grow in a cool climate. When growing requires fertile soil. It grows well with light shading.
It should be noted that its heading develops faster than that of ordinary white cabbage and can be ready for harvest in 55-60 days after sowing seeds. It is less prone to cracking compared to turnips and can remain on the garden up to a month after reaching full maturity. But if you leave her in the garden, she is a dandy and loses her juiciness.
There are two main varieties of this cabbage: light green and purple. However, the inner flesh is both white or cream colored.
Today it is grown in many countries, including temperate climates. The main consumption of this type of cabbage - European countries and the northern part of India.
What is useful kohlrabi cabbage
Kohlrabi is valued for its variety in the preparation of various dishes and its nutritional value. In its composition are present:
Ascorbic acid (vitamin C),
Complex of B vitamins: niacin, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine, riboflavin, thiamine, folates,
Minerals: potassium, iron, manganese, copper, calcium, magnesium and others,
It has no cholesterol and practically no fat, whose content in 100 grams is less than 1 percent.
This is a diet product. The caloric content of 100 grams is only 27 calories.
Especially it is necessary to note the presence of vitamin C in it, which accounts for 62 mg per 100 grams. This represents almost 102 percent of the recommended adult daily allowance.
Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin and it does not accumulate in the body. Therefore, it must be replenished daily with food. It helps a person to maintain connective tissues, teeth, is involved in the production of collagen. It is the main vitamin for the immune system, helping to resist various infections and inflammations. In addition, an antioxidant that fights against the oxidative effects of free radicals. So, it is necessary for the prevention of cancer.
In addition, among the antioxidant compounds, glucosinolates, anthocyanins and carotenoids should be distinguished, which have high antioxidant activity and can prevent cell-to-cancer mutation, protect against the development of colon and prostate cancer.
Vitamins of group B act as cofactors of enzymatic processes in many metabolic processes.
Potassium is an important component of the extracellular fluids of the human body, helps to control heart rate, blood pressure.
Cabbage leaves are rich sources of carotenoids, vitamin A, K, ascorbic acid and many other nutrients.
Kohlrabi in cooking: how and what can be cooked
Kohlrabi cabbage to your taste and texture resembles ordinary cabbage, but softer and sweeter. Young heads have a more delicate, crunchy, pleasant, slightly pepper, taste, aroma and texture.
It can be consumed fresh and cooked. Use in food and its leaves, they have no less amount of nutrients than the head itself. Before cooking, you can not remove the top. But many clean, as it is more fibrous and coarse.
The tuber itself is most often used in salads, like carrots, and the leaves in hot dishes.
In some European countries, it serves as feed for livestock.
Before cooking cabbage:
Cut off all the leaves,
Rinse thoroughly in clean running water.
Put for 10-15 minutes in salted water (this allows you to remove soil, dirt, residues of herbicides and pesticides),
It goes well with many vegetables:
In stew can be a good side dish for meat or poultry.
How to choose and store kohlrabi
This vegetable is available in the store and on the market mainly in the autumn months. Fresh cabbage should have a crunchy juicy texture. When buying, give preference to medium-sized tubers, which are dense to the touch and weigh more than their size in their hands.
Avoid buying cracked, lethargic, with signs of damage, heads. Do not buy the one that feels like it weighs less than its size. Such cabbage may not be juicy and fibrous.
In the room it can be stored for 3-5 days. To prolong shelf life, store in a refrigerator at a high level of humidity.
Kohlrabi contraindications and harm
Like all cruciferous vegetables, kohlrabi may contain goitrogens. These compounds disrupt the production of thyroid hormones, which can cause swelling. Therefore, it is contraindicated in people with impaired thyroid function.
Care must be taken:
With a tendency to flatulence,
In the period of exacerbation of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract,
With increased acidity of gastric juice,
With exacerbation of pancreatitis,
With low blood pressure.
It is contraindicated in case of individual intolerance and allergic reaction to cruciferous vegetables.
In overgrown cabbage, oxalic and uric acid can accumulate, which is harmful for people with gout, kidney stones and gall bladder.
Kohlrabi juice is best mixed with other species that neutralize the action of its acidic properties, such as carrot.
Kohlrabi can accumulate nitrates, especially when grown in greenhouses and greenhouses, which can cause poisoning. These compounds block the delivery of oxygen in the body and can cause an increased risk of cancer.
In conclusion, it should be noted that kohlrabi cabbage is a very versatile vegetable, which not only adds flavor and texture, but also contributes to improved health. It is considered one of the most healthy and low-calorie foods, not containing fat and cholesterol, rich in many nutrients. Its addition to the diet will diversify the menu and prevent many diseases.
Kohlrabi cabbage what is it good and harm
Composition and calorie kohlrabi
Calorie Mediterranean cabbage is extremely small - only 44 calories per 100 grams of fresh vegetables. Of this volume, 77% is accounted for by carbohydrates, another 21% is occupied by proteins, and very little in kohlrabi fats - 1.2%. But cabbage has an incredibly valuable composition. It includes:
- a real vitamin complex - B1 and B2, E, K, A,
- nicotinic acid, or vitamin PP,
- Vitamin C in large quantities - it is contained in kohlrabi more than even in lemon,
- the elements cobalt, potassium, copper, molybdenum and sulfur, calcium and boron, phosphorus and magnesium,
- glucose and fructose, which basically give the product a pleasant sweetish taste,
- valuable digestive enzymes.
Kohlrabi during pregnancy and breastfeeding
The use of Mediterranean cabbage while carrying a child is allowed - it contains a huge amount of vitamins that are useful for the mother and the fetus. However, it is necessary to observe the measure when consuming the product, since excess cabbage can lead to flatulence and indigestion.
When breastfeeding from the product is better to give up - at least in the fresh. In the vegetable a lot of fiber, and this component provokes colic in infants. Allergic reactions are not excluded. It is better to introduce cabbage back into the diet not earlier than 3 months after the birth of the child.
Cold and cough
Drink on the basis of cabbage juice well helps with coughing and high temperature. 100 ml of fresh juice is mixed with the same amount of warm milk, add a teaspoon of honey and half a teaspoon of fresh onion juice.
It is necessary to drink means on 2 tablespoons, 5 - 6 times a day as soon as the first signs of a cold appeared.
Kohlrabi for diabetes
Употреблять продукт при диабете обоих типов можно только с одобрения врача — но в целом кольраби относится к разрешенным продуктам. Средиземноморская капуста помогает поддерживать в пределах нормы вес тела, нормализует давление и хорошо влияет на стенки сосудов. Продукт хорошо усваивается, поскольку глюкоза и фруктоза, входящие в состав, не дают резкого повышения сахара в крови.
Профилактика сердечно-сосудистых заболеваний
Due to its vessel strengthening properties, the product acts as an effective prevention of heart diseases. To take care of your heart, you can prepare and drink the following drink for a month:
- 300 ml of kohlrabi juice mixed with a couple of teaspoons of grapefruit juice,
- take twice a day for 3 - 4 sips.
When pyelonephritis is recommended to eat half a small kohlrabi head every day, washing down the vegetable with plenty of water. In addition, you can make a healthy healing salad:
- 150 g of Mediterranean cabbage and green apple to wash, chop and mix,
- Add to the salad 1 spoon of vegetable oil and some greens.
Eating such a salad is possible daily, 1 or 2 times a day.
When gout is well helps drink of kohlrabi, nuts and honey. Do it like this:
- a glass of fresh cabbage juice is mixed with a large spoon of liquid honey,
- add some finely chopped walnuts,
- mix well.
It is best to take a drink by a couple of sips three times a day, not longer than a month.
When inflammation of the pancreas, any cabbage is quite dangerous - including the Mediterranean. Fresh vegetable has an additional irritant effect on the digestive tract and can aggravate the disease.
However, with an overall good tolerance of kohlrabi for pancreatitis, it is allowed to use some boiled or stewed cabbage. In this form, it will not damage the pancreas, but it will benefit from vitamins and valuable elements.
Bronchial asthma and tuberculosis
The big advantage of a product is observed at respiratory diseases - even at very heavy. Soften the symptoms of tuberculosis and asthma will help decoction of kohlrabi leaves. They need to pour half a liter of water, boil and boil for 20 - 30 minutes, and then strain and cool.
When treating asthma, it is recommended to drink 3-4 sips of broth twice a day. With tuberculosis, you need to limit 2 sips - but three times a day.
Kohlrabi face masks
Fresh kohlrabi cabbage has a wonderful effect on the skin of the face - it tightens it, removes fine wrinkles, tightens pores and reduces inflammation.
For example, to align the complexion and narrow the pores, you can make this mask:
- mix a small amount of fresh cabbage juice with egg yolk,
- spread the mask over the face and hold for 20 minutes,
- rinse with warm water.
Apply another mask to moisturize and whiten skin.
- Cabbage kohlrabi rubbed on a fine grater, mixed with similarly grated fresh cucumber.
- Then the mask is applied on the face and neck evenly.
- After 20 minutes, rinse the mixture off with warm water.
It is recommended to make masks based on kohlrabi weekly every 2 days - then the benefits will be maximized.
How to cook kohlrabi cabbage
The taste of the unusual cabbage is quite pleasant, so you can eat it fresh, especially since it retains its maximum benefit. But you can also process kohlrabi on the fire - namely, cook, fry, bake or extinguish.
- Boil the cabbage taken in sliced form, no more than 5 minutes - then the cabbage becomes soft, but its use is preserved.
- In order to fry kohlrabi, it is first recommended to boil it - a fresh vegetable gets an unpleasant taste when frying. Frying the product is not taken long, only until the golden hue.
- Stew cabbage on low heat for no more than 12 - 15 minutes. The product can be supplemented both with other vegetables and meat products - cabbage will retain its benefits and give an unusual taste to familiar dishes.
- Vegetable can be baked in the oven, using it as a main or additional ingredient. Before baking, the cabbage is washed and soaked for 15 minutes in salt water, and then placed in an oven, preheated to 185 degrees. Cooking time depends on the particular dish.
What to cook from kohlrabi
Kohlrabi - a product with a very wide range of applications. This cabbage is often found in the composition:
- vegetable salads,
- ordinary soups and mashed soups,
- second courses - meat or fish.
The product goes well with carrots and cucumbers, corn and green peas, apples and avocados, cheese and mushrooms. Boiled, stewed and baked cabbage is stuffed and added to stews, kohlrabi is used to make vegetable fritters. Very tasty cabbage is obtained by simply frying it in batter and eating like a separate dish.
Is it possible to eat kohlrabi leaves
Since the main advantage of most types of cabbage is in the leaves, when looking at kohlrabi, the question also arises whether it is possible to use tops, or only stlyplod is used in cooking.
Kohlrabi leaves are suitable for use in the kitchen. And most importantly, they contain about 2 times more vitamins and nutrients than stemblod. They can be freely added to salads, soups, meat dishes. But it is important that the leaves are fresh and not wilted, and before use they must be thoroughly washed. For use, they are suitable both in fresh and in processed form.
Kohlrabi harm and contraindications
For all its benefits, Mediterranean cabbage is contraindicated in certain diseases. Namely, it can not be used:
- in acute pancreatitis and gastritis with high acidity,
- during exacerbation of gastric or duodenal ulcers,
- in chronic hypotension,
- with cabbage allergy - it is not so rare.
It is necessary to buy cabbage only in checked stores, and in case of the slightest doubt about its quality - soak the vegetable before cooking in salt water and rinse thoroughly.
The benefits and harms of kohlrabi depend on the naturalness of the product - and whether a person has chronic diseases from the list of contraindications. In all other situations, kohlrabi will benefit the body and will delight you with a pleasant taste.
Kohlrabi benefit and harm
This type of kaput is used not only for cooking, but also for the treatment of many diseases. Its properties are used in traditional medicine and in science. there is beneficial features, as well as contraindications. Kohlrabi than useful:
- It contains magnesium. It helps to improve the nervous and cardiovascular systems. Also contributes to the improvement of the musculoskeletal system.
- Contains vitamin B6. This vitamin helps the body absorb potassium, which leads to the normal maintenance of acid-base and water balance.
- Vegetable helps to gain weight, if a person playing sports. Also involved in the creation of conditions for muscle contraction. That is why cabbage is used as nutrition for athletes.
- The composition includes leucine. This amino acid helps the body fight anemia. In addition, this substance is used kidney treatment.
- Useful for memory.
- Suppresses the symptoms of diabetes.
- Helps reduce cholesterol in the blood.
- Strengthens the body's immunity. In the cabbage is vitamin C, which is able to support the immune system of children and adults.
- Contains in the composition of phosphorus. This element strengthens bones, teeth, nails, hair.
- Cabbage cleans the stomach of various toxins.
- Can get rid of the disease in the mouth area. The juice of this vegetable is used to heal wounds. varying degrees.
It is worth noting: it is recommended to use kohlrabi even during breastfeeding. Vegetable contains many vitamins and nutrients that can strengthen the immunity of the child without the risk of complications.
What are the contraindications:
- It is not recommended to use with increased acidity of the stomach. In this case, heartburn occurs, if you continue to use, that is, the risk of developing pancreatitis.
- It should not be consumed with milk. This mixture has a laxative effect.
- Not recommended for pregnant women. May cause intestinal problems.
- There is a risk of aggravating pancreatitis.
It is worth noting: kohlrabi transfer not all organisms. If the body does not perceive this vegetable, it is best not to eat it and immediately see a doctor.
The properties of the root are maintained even during heat treatment.
Cooking kohlrabi cabbage
This vegetable can be cooked in different ways:
- Kohlrabi boiled,
- Kohlrabi stew and baked.
The most useful is raw cabbage. But, even after heat treatment, it does not lose its beneficial vitamins.
Before cooking cabbage, it must be washed and cleaned like potatoes. If the pulp is hard and fibrous, then the fruit is overripe. It can be used for stews and soups.
Also from kohlrabi you can make salads, snacks. From this cabbage you can make any dish. It goes well with meat, fish and other vegetables and fruits. Below we look at the most popular dishes from kohlrabi.
How to cook kohlrabi cream soup
To do this, take the following ingredients:
- Boiled mushrooms - 120 grams.
- Butter - 40 grams.
- Kohlrabi - 2 pcs.
- Egg yolk - 1 pc.
- Cream - 1 cup.
Preparation: cabbage needs to be cleaned and washed, chopped. Cook until ready. We take the cabbage out of the broth and rub it through a fine sieve. Now you need to dilute the porridge from cabbage. To do this, add the broth. Salt and boil on low heat for 2–3 minutes. Remove from heat and add yolk. Whip butter with cream and pour into the soup. Mix everything until smooth.
The soup is ready. Before serving, add mushrooms. Served with toasts.
How to cook chops from kohlrabi
For cooking you will need the following ingredients:
The cooking process: wash and clean the cabbage. We cut small plates, 1–1.5 cm thick. We lower them into boiling salted water. Cook for 5–7 minutes. We take out and give time to cool. Rubbed with spices, dipped in flour and egg. Fry in butter.
Chops are ready. They are best served with mayonnaise and garlic sauce.
How to cook a pie with kohlrabi and meat
For cooking you will need the following ingredients:
- Kohlrabi - 600 grams.
- Minced meat - 500 grams.
- Cream - 200 grams.
- Hard cheese - 100 grams.
- Vegetable oil - 100 grams.
- Butter - 50 grams.
- Potatoes - 4 pcs.
- Chicken egg - 2 pcs.
- Sweet pepper - 2 pcs.
- Flour - 1.5. Art.
- Large tomato - 1 pc.
- Onion - 1 pc.
- Couscous or semolina - 5 tbsp. spoons.
- Tomato paste - 2 tbsp. spoons.
- Salt and black pepper - 1 tsp.
The process of preparation: clean the vegetables, potatoes and cabbage cut into cubes. Add to hot salted water. Cook until done. Drain water, dry the vegetables, add the egg, couscous or semolina. All mix. Pour some flour into the mixture. Knead the dough. We remove it for half an hour in the fridge. After that, pour out the remnants of flour. Grease a baking sheet with vegetable oil and sprinkle with couscous or semolina, put the dough. Put it in the fridge.
Now you need to make stuffing from meat. We take the stuffing, we add chopped onion, greens. We make balls and run them in flour. Fry in a pan.
Cut pepper and fry with onions in a pan. Add tomato, tomato paste. Do not forget to salt and pepper. Add couscous, mix, add cream and simmer for 5 minutes. To the remaining cream, add the egg, beat.
We get the form with dough. Spread the meatballs and pour all the tomato mass. It should also be chilled. Send the cake to the preheated oven (200 degrees). The cake should be baked for 40 minutes. After it is reddened, it must be removed and sprinkled with cheese, then sent back to the oven and baked until complete melting cheese and browning cake.
Best of all, the pie is hot.
How to cook a salad with kohlrabi
There are so many recipes for salads, consider the first. It will require:
- Kohlrabi - 300 grams.
- Fetaks cheese - 100 grams.
- Apple - 1 pc.
- Walnuts - a handful.
- Mint - 4 sprigs.
- Lemon juice - 1–3 tsp.
- Ground black pepper.
The process of preparation: clean the kohlrabi and rub it on a grater for Korean carrots or on a regular grater. Cut an apple into strips and pour over lemon juice. Nuts grind. Cut the cheese. All combine in the same dish. Add mint, season the salad with vegetable oil and mix. The whole dish can be served.
Chicken, Pineapple and Kohlrabi Salad
To prepare you need to take:
- Kohlrabi - 450 grams.
- Pineapple - 300 grams.
- Chicken fillet - 250 grams.
- Mayonnaise - 7 tbsp. spoons.
- Lingonberry - 2 tbsp. l
- Red pepper and greens.
The cooking process: kohlrabi rubbed on a grater or mode straws. Boil fillets. Then cut into cubes, like pineapple. Put everything in a salad bowl and season with mayonnaise. Add pepper and greens.
Kohlrabi is a vegetable that is not found all year round. But if you want it can be found in the winter.
Characteristics and composition
Kohlrabi looks like a turnip. The name of this vegetable literally translates as “cabbage turnips.” For food, the culture began to grow in Europe in the XVI century.
Unlike turnips, the edible part of kohlrabi is not a root vegetable, but a stem. It has a juicy core. The taste is similar to the usual white cabbage, but leaves no bitterness.
Kohlrabi is called cabbage queen, because in this family it is the most useful and tasty. It is also called the "northern lemon" because of the rich content of vitamin C. However, in Russia culture is not very popular yet. On the shelves of hypermarkets or vegetable shops, it is significantly inferior to white, Beijing, color and other varieties. But those who tasted the taste and appreciated the benefits of kohlrabi rather quickly become admirers of this cabbage.
Attention! In addition to vitamin C, kohlrabi is valued for its dietary qualities: the edible part of the plant contains about 41-42 kcal per 100 g. In a relatively large amount in cabbage are vitamins A, B2 and PP, calcium, magnesium and iron, vegetable proteins, sucrose, fiber, and mineral salt and sulfur.
Useful and unhealthy properties
Kohlrabi usually eat raw, peeling. When fresh, it is as healthy as possible. It is recommended even for children and pregnant women. Without it, it is difficult to imagine the diet of a person caring for proper nutrition.
The main positive properties of cabbage with its regular use in food:
- normalization of digestive processes, functions of the liver and gallbladder,
- excretion of excess water from the body (with hypertension and diseases associated with the accumulation of fluid in organs and tissues),
- counteracting the appearance of cholesterol plaques on the walls of blood vessels,
- heart muscle strengthening
- reduction of high blood pressure
- general strengthening of immunity, the fight against viruses,
- elimination of toxins and slags from the body,
- suppressing excessive appetite, fighting obesity.
In traditional medicine also use a decoction of the stem and tops of the plant. It helps with diseases of the upper respiratory tract, including tuberculosis. Plant sap is used for:
- kidney disease
- cholecystitis and hepatitis,
- inflammation of the teeth and oral cavity.
Attention! Kohlrabi gruel is used as the main ingredient of anti-aging facial masks. Plant juice cleanses the skin. It is used in the composition of homemade lotions, including in frozen form.
Allergic reactions or individual intolerance to kohlrabi is extremely rare. Among the prohibitions for eating this cabbage is only its effect on the acidity of the stomach. At an elevated rate, eating a vegetable is not recommended. The use of kohlrabi for pancreatitis is also limited.
Useful properties of kohlrabi
Regular use of kohlrabi has a positive effect on all organs and systems of the body. Cabbage shows the following action:
- normalizes metabolic processes,
- removes excess fluid from the body,
- cleans the kidneys from infection and salts,
- lowers blood pressure
- cleans blood vessels from cholesterol,
- has an anti-inflammatory effect,
- reduces blood viscosity
- increases hemoglobin level
- improves digestion due to choleretic effect,
- stimulates the production of gastric juice,
- accelerates intestinal motility,
- helps fight constipation, has a mild laxative effect,
- reduces the risk of colon cancer.
For a long time, doctors recommended drinking kohlrabi juice for the treatment of tuberculosis. The high content of vitamins and trace elements increased the body's defenses and helped fight bacteria.
The whole heading is suitable for food, including the stems.
Kohlrabi is especially useful for elderly people suffering from chronic diseases of the heart and blood vessels, arterial hypertension, angina pectoris and atherosclerosis. Making salads from fresh cabbage or adding it to hot dishes and soups can improve health and even reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke.
Another category of people who should pay attention to kohlrabi is pregnant women. Vegetable improves the absorption of calcium, which in large quantities is necessary for the normal development of the fetus, and strengthens the immunity of the expectant mother.
The introduction of a useful vegetable in the diet during lactation stimulates the production of milk, nourishes it with vitamins and minerals. Children receiving all the necessary substances with food are active, full of energy and are ahead of their peers in development.
Love kohlrabi and mom kids older. The sweet taste and crunchy core are liked by many schoolchildren who are usually hard to eat vegetables. The rich chemical composition ensures the saturation of the maturing organism with vitamins and stimulates the appetite.
Contraindications and possible harm
Despite a lot of useful qualities of cabbage, there are contraindications to its use. Не рекомендуется включать свежие стеблеплоды и сок из них в свой рацион лицам с:
- индивидуальной непереносимостью продукта,
- гастритом с повышенной кислотностью,
- язвенной болезнью желудка и двенадцатипёрстной кишки,
- pancreatitis in the acute stage,
- severe hypotension (low blood pressure).
If you are just starting to get acquainted with this amazing vegetable, try for the first time quite a bit of cabbage to find out if you have an individual intolerance. If negative skin (redness, rash, itching) or intestinal reactions (diarrhea, bloating) do not show up, then safely include fruits in your diet.
Another dangerous feature of kohlrabi is its ability to accumulate nitrates, which can cause poisoning. Therefore, it is desirable to grow cabbage in the open field without the use of growth preparations or to buy it from trusted vendors.
There are many options for cooking kohlrabi: cabbage can be eaten raw, added to summer salads, cooked, stewed, fried and baked. Fresh kohlrabi is considered the most useful, but even during heat treatment it retains most of the nutrients.
There are no strict medical standards determining the allowable amount of kohlrabi per day for a healthy person. Focus on your feelings: sometimes a large amount of fiber contained in fresh cabbage causes increased flatulence in the intestines, so limit yourself to one or two small fruits in the morning. Cooked kohlrabi as a side dish for meat or as a part of vegetable stew can be eaten without restrictions.
Kohlrabi is a valuable dietary product that has almost no fat in its composition, it nourishes well and contains few calories. Therefore, in the summer, when the fresh harvest is ripe, try to ensure that the basis of the diet consists of vegetables, including healthy and tasty cabbage. The main rule of cooking dishes from kohlrabi for those who want to lose weight is to choose recipes that use a minimum of oil, mayonnaise and other fatty additives.
Kohlrabi is suitable for inclusion in the diet of a pregnant woman
Cabbage during pregnancy is possible and even necessary. In the first trimester, when women are often bothered by toxemia, it is best to use fresh salads from sliced kohlrabi, shredded carrots and greens. Season vegetables preferably with good olive oil.
Sauerkraut cabbage is a well-known folk remedy for toxicosis in the first months of pregnancy. Kohlrabi, a crunchy, with a pleasant sourish taste, relieves nausea no less and nourishes the body with vitamins. This product can be eaten 2-3 times a week in the morning. But in the second and third trimester sauerkraut is better not to abuse: an excess of salt can lead to swelling.
Fresh fruits contain a lot of fiber and prevent constipation, but in large quantities can cause bloating in women. Therefore, the best option in the last stages of pregnancy would be kohlrabi in soups and main courses.
During the period of breastfeeding, kohlrabi, which mom eats, can cause anxiety and colic in the crumbs. The fact is that a large amount of fiber irritates the immature digestive system of the baby and increases gas formation. From here abdominal pains, a swelling and problems with a chair. Therefore, young mothers for a while should abandon the delicious cabbage, despite its benefits.
When the baby is three months old and his intestines become more mature, you can try to return the kohlrabi to the diet. Begin gradually adding finely chopped cabbage cubes to soups and stews, watching the reaction of the baby. By the half year of the child, many mothers calmly eat fresh fruits without negative reactions from the crumbs.
Cabbage turnip for children
Along with zucchini, cauliflower and broccoli, kohlrabi is used as a first meal and is allowed from the age of six months. Choose strong healthy fruit, during the cultivation of which were not used chemicals and harmful fertilizers. The vegetable is introduced according to the general rules: start with half a teaspoon of boiled cabbage, which is well boiled and ground into a smooth mash, and bring this amount to 80–100 g a day recommended by age. If within a day after eating kohlrab the crumb has become capricious and shows with his whole appearance that he is worried about the tummy, postpone familiarity with the cabbage for several weeks.
Allowed to include cabbage in the composition of vegetable puree for kids
Juice to relieve cholecystitis exacerbation
- fresh kohlrabi - 2-3 fruits,
- honey - 1 tsp.
Remove the peel from the cabbage, cut it into small cubes and use the juicer to extract kohlrabi juice. From a specified number of components, approximately ¼ cup of beverage is obtained. To this volume it is necessary to add a teaspoon of honey, stir everything and take it daily 15–20 minutes before lunch. The course of treatment is 10–14 days (until the pain subsides and the state of health improves).
Vitamin vegetable puree for baby foods (from 8 months)
- kohlrabi - 1/2 head,
- spinach - 100 g,
- potatoes - 75 g,
- butter - 1 tbsp. l.,
- boiled egg yolk - 1 pc.
Grind washed and peeled kohlrabi and potatoes. Rinse the spinach thoroughly in running water. Heat up butter in thick-walled dishes and stew potatoes and cabbage in it, adding water if necessary. After 15 minutes, add the spinach leaves and stew for about 10 more minutes. After this time, cool a little everything, puree in a blender and mix with chopped egg yolk.
Delicious and healthy dishes for the whole family
Despite the fact that the soup is considered to be lean, it is very rich and suitable for a hearty lunch.
- leek stem - 1 pc.,
- large onion - 1 pc.,
- celery stalk - 1 pc.,
- tomato paste - 1 tsp,
- fresh spinach - 50 g,
- salt to taste
- butter - 2 tbsp. l.,
- potatoes - 2 pcs.,
- kohlrabi - 3 pcs.,
- medium sized carrots - 1 pc.
Step by step recipe:
- All vegetables are cleaned and washed well.
- Onions, carrots, celery and leeks finely chop, put in a saucepan with hot oil, add tomato paste to them and fry for 7 minutes.
- Kohlrabi cut into thin slices. Dip in boiling water for a couple of minutes, then drain in a colander.
- Cut potatoes into cubes.
- Boil in a saucepan 1.5 liters of water, put all the prepared vegetables and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Finely chop the spinach, add to the soup, and then cook for 4 more minutes.
- Salt and pepper the finished dish to taste and remove from heat.
- 800 g kohlrabi
- 2 tbsp. l capers,
- 1 tbsp. l mustard with grains,
- a small bunch of green onions
- a small bunch of cilantro,
- juice of half a lemon,
- 3 tbsp. l high-quality olive oil,
- salt, freshly ground black pepper to taste,
The combination of crispy kohlrabi, capers and fragrant greens makes the salad unusually tasty
Step by step recipe:
- To make the dressing, squeeze the lemon juice in a cup, add a pinch of salt and pepper to it, and beat the whole with a fork. Then gradually pour in the olive oil, continuing to beat. At the very end, place the mustard in the mass and mix thoroughly.
- Chop the cilantro and onion.
- If the kohlrabi fruit has leaves, cut them and coarsely chop them with a knife (or leave them whole if they are not too large).
- Peel the cabbage, cut the flesh into slices. Boil them in boiling salted water with the leaves until half cooked (about 5–10 minutes). Drain the water and slightly cool Kohlrabi.
- Put the cabbage with the leaves in a salad bowl, sprinkle with onion and cilantro, pour the dressing and gently mix everything.
- Garnish with capers on top and serve the salad warm.
Kohlrabi in German
- 8 small kohlrabi heads,
- 500 g minced pork,
- 0.5 cups of boiled long grain rice,
- 1 onion,
- 1 clove garlic,
- 3 sprigs of parsley,
- 50 g butter,
- 2 large eggs,
- 0.5 cups heavy cream,
- 3 cups chicken broth,
- 2 tbsp. l flour,
- 1.5 Art. l tomato paste,
- 2 tbsp. l ground sweet paprika,
- 0.25 tsp. cumin seeds,
- salt pepper.
Step by step recipe:
- Kohlrabi should be cleaned, cut off the 0.5 cm from the bottom for stability of the heads. Remove the “cover” with a thickness of 1.5 cm from the top and remove the inside, leaving about 0.5 cm on the sides.
- The flesh is very finely chopped. Peel and chop the onion and garlic. Wash, dry and chop the parsley.
- Preheat 2 tbsp. l butter and fry onion and garlic for 6 minutes. Put everything in a large bowl, add minced pork, rice, chopped parsley, eggs, 0.5 cups of kohlrabi flesh, paprika, cumin, tomato paste. Season with salt and mix the ingredients well.
- Arrange the prepared filling with a slide in the fruit pots.
- Prepare the fill. Mix hot chicken broth with the remaining chopped kohlrabi.
- Pour this mass into a baking dish, place the kohlrabi in one row, cover with foil and place in an oven preheated to 180 ° C for 50 minutes.
- Carefully drain the sauce from the roasting in a saucepan. Turn off the oven, and cover the form with kohlrabi with foil and leave it there.
- In a clean saucepan, melt the remaining butter and fry, stirring constantly, the flour for 3 minutes. Pour in the cream and bring the mass to a boil.
- After 1 minute, gradually pour the mixture into a saucepan with baking sauce. Season with salt and pepper and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Kohlrabi shift to a dish and pour generously cooked dressing.
Kohlrabi proved that a healthy and balanced diet can be not only healthy, but also very tasty! If you are not familiar with this amazing vegetable, include it in your diet, and the body will surely say thank you.
How to put out kohlrabi
To prepare you need:
- Peel 4–5 cabbage tubers. Cut it into slices and salt. Dip in flour.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and fry the cabbage slices on it. Pieces need to be shifted to the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon and pepper.
- Now you need to make a mixture of sour cream, tomato paste (2 tsp.). Pour the mixture into the cabbage.
- Cover and simmer for 30–40 minutes until cooked.
- The dish is ready, before serving, sprinkle with herbs.
So, we talked about the new variety of cabbage. Considered kohlrabi, beneficial properties and contraindications. Kohlrabi looks like a turnip. It is best to eat root vegetables raw. But, during heat treatment, the vegetable retains all the vitamins. We also considered several options for dishes that can be prepared with this vegetable. Caloric content is 44 kcal per 100 grams of product. At the same time it contains a large amount of vitamins and substances that must be present in the diet of each person daily.