Garden purslane has a large number of medicinal properties and vitamins. It is used both in traditional medicine and in cosmetology and cooking. The plant is able to cure renal diseases, lower the high body temperature and cope with male infertility.
The plant has a beneficial effect on the human body, enriching it with essential vitamins. But if used improperly, it can be harmful.
The herb purslane is part of the family Portulakov, which has about 500 plant species (such as Portulak grandiflora, Talinum paniculata, Levia, etc.), distributed throughout the Earth. Its composition is rich in vitamins, microelements, acids and proteins.
Chemical Composition of Dandura:
- zinc, copper, manganese, nickel, iron,
- Na, Ca, K (potassium), Mg,
- organic acids
- vitamins (carotene, tocopherol, ascorbic acid),
- resinous and mucous substances,
- oleic, palmitic and other fatty acids, which are part of the seeds of the plant.
This is a one-year-old plant (the life expectancy of a grass is only one year), which possesses a multitude of useful and healing properties and vitamins for the human body. It blooms from June to August, and ripening occurs in September. For this reason, you need to collect the flowers of the plant in early autumn.
Use in traditional medicine
Purslane used in the treatment of:
- kidney diseases
- the liver
- blood pressure
- diabetes mellitus
The leaves of the plant are used as an antidote to venomous snake bites. The plant is made from the infusion, which is used as a diuretic and anti-inflammatory agent.
Recipe for portulaca tincture:
- One glass of boiling water poured 1 tablespoon. grass
- The resulting solution is left for 2 hours.
- Take 2 tablespoons 3-4 times a day.
Tincture can be used as a wound healing agent, as well as in the treatment of sexual dysfunction in men.
To prepare a folk remedy, the plant is collected during the flowering period (late spring). From it make broths, infusions, fresh juice. The herb has the ability to stop blood and remove excess fluid from the body, which is why it is so in demand in traditional medicine.
With bronchial asthma
Garden purslane is used in the treatment of bronchial asthma. As a medicine, powder is made from seeds. Recipe:
- Dry the seeds of the plant.
- Then fray with honey.
Therapeutic powder is taken half an hour before meals 3 times a day.
For skin diseases
Purslane is used to treat warts, eczema, lichen and other skin diseases. To get rid of them, the healing juice of the plant is used. When they appear, they are smeared with fresh juice. That he has a large number of vitamins and beneficial properties. The procedure is carried out for several days, and over time the warts disappear.
In the presence of lesions, eczema and lichen purslane is used in several forms:
- Infusion. Made lotions of plants. To prepare them, the powder from the seeds of Dandura is diluted with water or with burdock oil.
- Ointment. The seeds of the plant are mixed with butter and an ointment is obtained. It should be applied evenly to the affected skin areas 3 times a day.
Ointment is an effective medicine in the fight against psoriasis due to its healing properties.
In diseases of the liver and kidneys
For the treatment of diseases associated with impaired kidney and liver, the healing properties of the plant stems are used. Of them made a special blend, enriched with vitamins.
Preparing a medicine from purslane for liver and kidney diseases as follows:
- The stems of the plants are washed and dried.
- Poured boiling water.
- The resulting mixture is infused for 4 hours, and then ready for use.
A mixture of plants consumed half an hour before meals three times a day.
For kidney and liver disease, juice from the aerial part of dandura is also used. Juice is stored in the refrigerator and does not lose its beneficial and healing properties. The drug is taken within 14 days until the complete disappearance of symptoms of the disease in the body.
In diseases of the liver and gallbladder, a decoction is prepared in which 20 grams of grass, 2 grams of seeds and 1 cup of boiling water are added. The drug is drunk one tablespoon 3 times a day.
With ulcerative colitis
In the treatment of ulcerative colitis helps medicinal decoction of purslane. To cook the broth, dried grass and boiling water are prepared. In 1 tbsp added 200 ml of boiling water. The mixture is brought to a boil and left for 10 minutes. The drug is infused for 2 hours, used 1-2 tablespoons 3 times a day.
Purslane perfectly helps in the treatment of male impotence and infertility. To prepare the decoction, 1 tablespoon of dry grass is filled with 200 ml of boiling water. The resulting medicine is covered with a lid and left for 2 hours. Broth is filtered and drunk 4 times a day. Taking the medicine does not depend on the frequency of meals.
The course is 3 weeks.
At high temperature
Garden purslane has antipyretic properties, therefore it is used at high temperatures in humans.
Recipe for Dandruff Seed Repellent:
- The seeds of the plant are squeezed and poured boiling water.
- The resulting decoction is infused for 6 hours.
If a person has a high temperature, the medication should be applied before meals 4 times a day.
Application in cosmetology
The garden purslane is widely applied in cosmetology. It is suitable for all skin types.
Vitamin and medicinal properties of the plant:
- improve cell regeneration
- have a beneficial effect on human skin - it becomes silky and softer,
- effectively rejuvenate the skin
- contribute to the disappearance of shallow wrinkles.
In cosmetology, various types of masks are made from purslane.
For cooking dandruff masks 1 tablespoon of the herb is brewed in 1 cup of boiling water for one hour. Then the broth is filtered and rubbed into the hair after each shampooing.
Mask for oily skin:
- To prepare the mask, take 2 tablespoons of young leaves of Dandura and mix with 1 hour spoon of oatmeal.
- The resulting mask is held on the face for about 15 minutes.
- After it is washed off with warm water or a decoction of chamomile.
- The face dries out and is smeared with a moisturizer.
This type of mask is suitable for both normal skin and fat type.
To prepare mask for dry skin Dundum mixed from 2 tablespoons of herbs, 1 teaspoon of olive oil and 1 hour spoon of honey. The resulting mask is applied to the face and left for 10-15 minutes. Then it is washed off with warm water or a cotton swab moistened with green tea.
The use of purslane for cosmetic purposes should be strictly coordinated with the beautician.
The garden purslane is sown several times in one season. In cooking, the top young shoots and leaves are used. They are cut to flowering plants, because after the leaves harden and coarsen and can not be used in food.
How to make purslane tasty while preserving its vitamins? You can:
- eat raw and boiled,
- put out
- add to salad
- to decorate them with festive dishes and sandwiches,
- stew and fry
- pickle and preserve for the winter.
Pickled purslane is used as a meat seasoning. Raw leaves of the plant have a large amount of vitamins and are added to the salad. Boiled leaves are added to soups as greens.
To the plant has not lost its beneficial properties, it is best to use it raw.
To save the portulaca for the winter, it is necessary to freeze. For this:
- Young leaves of a plant gather.
- Well washed and dried.
- The plant is decomposed into packages and stored in the freezer.
If necessary, it is thawed and added as a seasoning to various dishes.
Old portulaca stems are used for cooking. They can be used as a spice in the soup or stewed, as a separate dish. If the stalks are thick, they are marinated for the winter in order to preserve useful vitamins. Listed below are the most common cooking recipes with purslane.
For cooking Polish Portulacum Salad Ingredients required:
- purslane - 250 gr,
- garlic - 2 cloves,
- coriander - 1 tsp,
- chopped parsley - 1 tbsp. spoon,
- salt, vinegar, lemon juice - to taste.
The plant is washed and boiled, decanted through a sieve and cooled. Parsley must be chopped and add to purslane. Chopped garlic is added to parsley and purslane, and it is filled with coriander and lemon juice.
Baked purslane with egg - An unusual, but very tasty dish. Ingredients required:
- purslane -150 gr,
- egg - 1 pc,
- sunflower oil - 10 gr,
- a pinch of salt.
Garden purslane is washed and cut into pieces of 2-3 cm. They are boiled in salted water, after which they are allowed to dry. The pan is greased with butter and boiled plant is laid on it. The raw egg is mixed with salt and poured into the pan. Baked in the oven for 20 minutes. The dish is served hot.
Contraindications and harm
Garden purslane has a large number of vitamins and minerals that have a positive effect on the body. But if it is misused, it can be harmful.
The use of the plant is contraindicated in the following cases:
- With hypertension. The plant in large quantities contributes to high blood pressure,
- For bradycardia,
- Persons with joint and kidney problems. The plant contains a large amount of oxalic acid. When it is abundant, kidney stones can form in the body,
- People prone to increased seizure,
- Pregnant. The plant helps to improve the tone of the uterus.
Purslane stimulates the release of insulin and can cause hypoglycemia in humans.
A garden purslane has been known for a long time. Even in Egypt, thousands of years ago it was used in food, preparing medicines. In ancient Greece, purslane also served as a medicine, as evidenced by Hippocrates. This plant was treated for insomnia, wounds, intestinal diseases, used from snake bites. Some ancient scholars described this plant as obligatory to use, and the local Arab doctor Avicenna considered it as one of the most important medicines.
Gradually began to use purslane in France. With him cooked meat dishes, salads, mashed potatoes. All recipes passed to the French from the Romans, and to the east - from the Persians. Now the plant is grown in the countries of the Mediterranean, in the Caucasus, in India, in France. In Russia, it grows like a weed. Hybrid species are grown as a decorative garden ornament.
How to use
Young leaflets and shoots of garden purslane are used for food. This plant has a mild sharpness and moderate sourness. More mature stems marinate. Pickled purslane with cucumbers is especially appreciated. In this case, do not use vinegar.
Purslane is great for cooking omelets, salads from fresh vegetables, used as a seasoning for spicy sauces, stewed vegetables, meat dishes. It can be boiled, fried, stewed, dried, added to soups.
Portulac is widely used in medicine for the treatment of various ailments. The healing properties of the garden purslane are determined by its special chemical composition.
What is treated with an annual
Before you start to eat or prepare medicines, you should find out what benefits and use of purslane gardening brings. In folk medicine, it is used as an anti-toxic, wound healing, anti-inflammatory, diuretic, anesthetic, vasodilator. For your information, for all these healing properties have been known since ancient times to physicians of ancient Greece.
The substances that are part of the plant are able to break down sugar in the body, leading to its decrease in blood, which is useful for diabetics. With proper use of the grass after a few days improves the overall condition. Also, grass is used for age-related rise in sugar levels, when there is a risk of developing diabetes.
What else treats
Some elements that make up the plant cause vasoconstriction, which helps increase blood pressure and stop bleeding. This plant is recommended to include in the diet of those who suffer from hypotension. When a one-time reception of funds from the portulac, blood pressure is normalized. After the course of therapy, it is possible to achieve stable remission.
In case of heart failure, the plant is used as a stimulant, which has a positive effect on the work of the heart muscle. After taking folk remedies the pulse quickens, it becomes more filled.
The medicinal properties of garden purslane help men to fight impotence, male infertility. The plant helps to restore sexual function, activates sperm production and improves its quality. In the treatment of infertility with this plant in men, the number of spermatozoa increases and their activity increases.
The plant is used in the treatment of venereal pathologies. With gonorrhea, syphilis, and Trichomonas colpitis, the herb helps shorten the recovery period, and also supports the body during recovery from an illness.
In violation of the nervous system, namely, insomnia, depression, purslane is of great help. It affects the central nervous system, helping to get rid of the feeling of anxiety that accompanies nervous insomnia. Dishes and folk remedies with purslane help to cheer up, overcome depression.
The plant has a positive effect on the body in the fight against pathologies of the kidneys, urination, with psoriasis. The herb is used to treat ulcers, purulent wounds, headaches, avitaminosis.
Portulac in traditional medicine
There are many recipes for gardening portulaca. A specific remedy is prepared for each ailment.
In the treatment of pathologies of the kidneys from the plant squeezed juice, which is stored in the refrigerator. Take one spoonful three times a day before meals. Heal juice is necessary until the complete disappearance of the disease. Usually this period is two weeks.
For the treatment of male impotence and infertility, an infusion of dry purslane is made. For its preparation you will need a spoonful of raw material, which is poured with a glass of boiling water. Means infused a couple of hours. After that, it is filtered. Take the drug once a day, two spoons, regardless of the meal. The treatment of male ills lasts from three weeks.
For the treatment of venereal pathologies, an infusion of dried raw materials is used. To prepare it you need fifty grams of herbs, pour boiling water and insist two hours. Then the drug is filtered, the mass is pressed. In the resulting infusion add a couple of egg whites. After the tool is heated, but not boiled. The finished product is drunk during the day, dividing the volume into several doses. Treatment of the disease lasts ten days. Together with purslane in therapy should be medication. The herb acts as an accelerator of the healing process and strengthens the immune system.
Well helps the plant with insect bites. Grass helps relieve swelling, pain. To do this, take fresh leaves of portulaca, wash them with water, knead them in their hands and apply them to the places of bites of bees, wasps. One procedure is enough to eliminate the symptoms. If necessary, the leaves can be applied up to five times a day.
Recipes of traditional medicine
Among the recipes from the portulaca garden there are tools to help cope with ulcerative colitis. For this, a spoonful of dry grass is poured with a glass of water and boiled for ten minutes. Then the agent is infused for two hours. Before use, the broth is filtered. The drug is taken two spoons three times a day.
For the treatment of syphilitic arthritis make lotions of decoctions of herbs and seeds. To prepare it, take two grams of seeds or twenty grams of chopped grass. Raw materials are poured with a glass of water and boiled for five minutes. Then the agent is infused for three hours. It is taken in a spoon up to four times a day.
For the treatment of pathologies of the liver and gallbladder used a decoction of seeds and herbs. A single seed dosage is three grams, and herbs are two spoons. The raw material is poured with a glass of boiling water, and allowed to stand for five hours. The tool is taken two spoons up to three times a day.
When hemoptysis is useful to drink fresh juice. He takes one dessert spoon three times a day.
You can use the juice for removing warts: they smear growths up to six times a day.
Infusion, prepared from the aerial parts of the plant, helps to cope with psoriasis. It is used in the form of lotions. Positive results gives purslane, mixed with burdock oil.
There is a recipe for purslane garden tools that help in the treatment of encephalitis. In this pathology, a remedy from a plant is used as an anti-inflammatory.
For therapy, decoctions are prepared from seeds or herbs.To make the drug, one or two grams of seeds, or twenty grams of grass is taken and poured with a glass of boiling water. Then put the mixture on the fire and let it boil for five minutes. In the prepared composition moisten the fabric, which is applied to the site of the tick bite. The lotion is left for eight hours.
Treatment of atherosclerosis and hypotension
Every gardener knows what a garden purslane looks like. During its flowering period, it is recommended to prepare a plant for the treatment of pathologies. Especially valuable herb is hypotonic.
For the preparation of the drug will need a tablespoon of herbs and a glass of water. The mixture is boiled for ten minutes, then filtered. Two spoons are taken up to four times a day.
How to prepare a plant
Knowing the beneficial properties and contraindications of garden purslane, it is possible to procure raw materials for use all year round. Usually, in folk medicine, the aerial part of the plant is used. It is cut at the time of flowering - during this period in the grass contains the most useful substances. Raw materials are dried by hanging in small bunches in a ventilated room. After complete drying, the blanks are placed in storage in paper or fabric bags. For one and a half years, the plant retains its medicinal qualities.
In order to saturate the body with beneficial substances, strengthen the immune system, it is recommended to prepare dishes with grass during the summer period.
Many believe that such as the purslane garden weeds do not carry the benefits. But as you can see, this simple, common plant is very useful. It is rich in nutrients that help fight a variety of ailments.
Planting and care
The purslane is not only for its healing properties, but also in appearance is an original plant. In the garden, it will become a real decoration. The plant belongs to the heat-loving, therefore, easily tolerates drought. Planting and growing can be a pleasure. Special plant care does not require and has excellent germination.
Seeds need to be sown in April, watering is not particularly necessary, but it is best to plant in a sunny area. The depth for planting is not more than 1 cm. It should be planted in a row and the distance between them should not be less than 50 cm.
When the leaves begin to germinate, it is necessary to leave one plant at a distance of 10 cm.
In the care of the plant is included:
- loosening the land between the rows,
- weeding and weed control,
- fertilizing with mineral fertilizers.
If the plant receives an insufficient amount of moisture, its leaves will begin to coarse and acquire a burning unpleasant taste.
Harvest should be when the escape will be 15-20 cm in length, it is approximately 20-30 days after the first shoots appear. During this time, the plant must be cut several times. It is necessary to collect all the greens before the seeds ripen, because they easily crumble, and next year they can grow like weeds.
Today, the real gourmets prefer three varieties of this plant:
But there is still a decorative purslane large-flowered. On its stems pink, white or purple flowers are formed. Despite its beauty, this variety is unpopular with gardeners.
Despite the fact that portulac has a unique composition and healing properties and is widely used in folk practice, official medicine is not going to use it yet. Among the popular recipes portulac garden became a real savior for a variety of diseases. He received his healing abilities thanks to a multifaceted spectrum of components and if applied correctly, the plant will bring only benefit to the body.
What kind of purslane plant, photo, description of how it looks
India is considered the birthplace of this weed. But it grows in other regions of our planet. Often found in the European part, in the Middle East, Central Asia, Australia. Everywhere it is called differently: flea, dandur, chicken leg, buterlan.
Sandy areas are considered favorite soil, especially where there is watering.
This annual plant is very light-loving and heat-loving, and dies upon the onset of minor frosts. It is green, golden, red. Small stalk - up to 30 centimeters, at a young age green, and at the end of the summer - brown.
Garden purslane differs from an ornamental plant in the shape of leaves and the size of flowers. In the purslane decorative, which is sown in flower beds, the leaves are sharp, needle-like, and the flowers are large, bright and colorful. The garden portulak has small yellow inconspicuous flowers, and its leaves are oval, slightly thinner to the stem, although fleshy and very juicy.
Fruits ripen until September in boxes that crack, and black ripened seeds spill onto the ground. They are smaller than poppy seeds and so light that the wind lifts them along with the dust and spreads them in all directions. Therefore, grass spreads rapidly and grows in many places. It is found everywhere: on the side of roads, in vegetable gardens and wastelands.
The composition and caloric portulaca
The chemical composition of medicinal herb purslane contains a huge number of trace elements.
- The shoots and succulent leaves of this unique plant contain easily digestible proteins, carbohydrates, a complex of various vitamins, acids, alkaloids and other beneficial substances.
- Studying the plant, the researchers came to the conclusion that, in addition to the previously known beneficial constituents, its leaves contain substances such as dopamine and norepinephrine, which stop the bleeding and stimulate the cardiovascular system.
- Due to the hypoglycemic effect, purslane is used in the treatment of people suffering from diabetes.
- For the treatment of various diseases, seeds containing such fatty acids as palmitic, oleic, oxalic and others are also used.
Caloric portulaca - 16 kcal per 100 g of product. Energy value: carbohydrates - 3.43 g, proteins - 1.3 g, fats - 0.1 g. This plant, like any other with a therapeutic effect, should be consumed in moderate portions, not more than 150 g per day.
Healing properties of purslane
What is useful purslane? For therapeutic purposes, all parts of this unique herb are used, except for the root, which has no value for medicine. The exceptional composition of the plant has provided him with a strong position in traditional medicine.
- The useful properties of purslane include the ability to bactericidal action, cleansing the body, restoring health after an illness, especially in the elderly. When inflammation of the gums, diseases of organs such as the kidneys and the bladder effectively acts as an extract from the shoots taken orally.
- The treatment components of purslane can lower cholesterol, narrow blood vessels, relieve puffiness and various inflammatory processes.
- Squeezed juice treats gonorrhea and other venereal diseases.
- Pounded leaves relieve desquamation and itching in psoriasis, accelerate wound healing, swelling when biting various insects.
- With the help of plants, conjunctivitis is treated.
- Worm seeds are removed by seeds.
- Tincture of seeds has an antipyretic effect, they treat scaly herpes. Dry, ground with honey seeds, have a beneficial effect on people suffering from bronchial asthma.
- The herb is suitable for removing warts.
- The weed is 10 - 20 times more than other medicinal herbs, melatonin, an antioxidant that helps stop the growth of cancer cells.
- Apply a plant for the detection of inflammatory processes of the liver. It prevents vomiting of bile.
- The use of purslane is that it assists in reducing potency.
Use of purslane in traditional medicine, purslane treatment
The grass in its fresh and dried form is used for the preparation of decoctions. They are used for different purposes.
- 1 tbsp. l fresh shoots, pour 1 glass of water, boil for 10 minutes. Then decoction infused half an hour, strain it. Drink 2 tbsp. l 30 minutes before eating,
- prepare an infusion of 1 tbsp. l dried herbs and 1 cup boiling water. On low heat, let simmer for 10 minutes, strain and consume 3 tbsp. l before meals, not more than 3 times a day,
- Boil 10 g of seed in half a liter of milk. The broth used on an empty stomach will help with helminth infections.
- gruel of crushed grass is applied to sore spots, get rid of corns and other formations on the skin,
- portulaca infusions are used as a febrifuge. To prepare the broth need 10 g of crushed plants and 1 cup of water. Components need to boil on low heat for 10 minutes and insist for half an hour,
- to reduce blood sugar will help tea from dry shoots. 3 tbsp. l herbs need to pour 2 cups boiling water. Insist at least 2 hours and take with inflammation of the stomach after eating 4 tbsp. l 3 times a day.
- with the treatment of hemorrhoids and bloody diarrhea help enemas. The solution is prepared from grass juice, chilled boiled water in a ratio of 2 :: 2,
The Persian scientist Avicenna considered this herb to be an effective medicinal plant. He said that the juice squeezed out of it helps with hemoptysis.
Contraindications portulaca harm
Along with the great benefits and indisputable healing properties of this plant can cause harm to the human body.
- Reception in unlimited quantities can cause an increase in blood pressure,
- Oxalic acid, contained in the plant in excess, leads to problems with blood vessels and the formation of kidney stones.
- Its use is not recommended during pregnancy, because it increases the tone of the uterus, you may receive the threat of miscarriage.
- You can not use the grass and people with increased convulsions, nervous irritability, with exhaustion.
- Using the healing properties of this herb, do not forget about its moderate use or cessation of use with side effects.
How to cook purslane at home - dishes
Is it possible to eat purslane gardening is not even worth it. Miracle grass is actively used in cooking. Her juicy shoots with a spicy pleasant taste, reminiscent of sorrel or spinach cut before flowering. They cook delicious salads, okroshka, soups.
Used as an ingredient in condiments to meat dishes. Some people make preparations, pickled the grass in vinegar, canned or simply salted.
Back in 1950, the “Book on tasty and healthy food” contained information on how to preserve purslane: with vodka in a 1: 1 ratio. So purslane retains all its useful and healing substances.
For the preparation of salads using raw, boiled, steamed or roasted shoots. Stuffing with added ingredients is for baking pies.
Here are some recipes for portulac cooking
100 g of plant shoots
10 g mint leaves,
2 garlic cloves,
25 grams of yogurt.
Portulaca shoots and mint leaves cut, chop garlic, salt with a pinch of salt, pour with yogurt, mix.
200 g of succulent leaves of the described grass,
2 tbsp. l sour cream,
3 cloves of garlic.
Fry large leaves in sunflower or olive oil, boil eggs, chop up large pieces, squeeze garlic through garlic garnish, add sour cream, mix.
200 g (more) of purslane leaves,
2 large onions,
100 g of hard cheese
Leaves drenched with water should be boiled for 10 minutes, so that they soften and shrink in volume, let the excess water flow out. Onion cut into cubes, fry in vegetable oil. Mix the ingredients and place in a specially prepared dish, in which they will be baked. Beat eggs with a pinch of salt, pour into mixture. Grate cheese and sprinkle on top. Bake in the oven, heated to 180 degrees for 20 minutes. Enjoy your meal!
The stems and leaves of the garden portulaca contain easily digestible proteins, vitamin C and carotene. Portulaca leaves have a pleasant aroma and burning, sour taste.
Green portulaca gardening stimulates appetite, quenches thirst and increases the vitality of the body. The leaves of garden portulaca are pleasant to chew in the summer heat - refreshing.
The leaves and stems of the garden purslane contain:
- trace elements (zinc, copper, manganese, nickel, iron),
- macronutrients (calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium),
- organic acids
- saponins and other glycosides,
- mucous and resinous substances.
Portulace seeds contain: fatty oil, including linoleic acid, oleic, palmitic and other fatty acids.
In scientific medicine, seeds and grass are used to remove worms, to strengthen the heart muscle, and to increase blood pressure. Traditional medicine recommends purslane garden for diseases of the liver, kidneys, bladder and for the treatment of diabetes. Pounded leaves of the garden portulaca are an antidote for snake and insect bites.
Infusion portulaca garden It has a diuretic and anti-inflammatory effect (1 tablespoon of grass is poured with a glass of boiling water, left for 2 hours and drunk 2 tablespoons 3-4 times a day).
Infusion of herbs can be used as a substitute for adrenaline. It has been scientifically proven that the plant enhances cardiac activity and increases blood pressure with significant narrowing of blood vessels. Herbal infusion is recommended as a diuretic for liver, kidney, dysentery, and as an antitoxic agent. Purslane is part of the herbs used in sexual weakness. Outwardly fresh juice or Portulaca infusion is used as a wound healing agent.
In Chinese folk medicine, purslane is used for gonorrhea, arthritis, liver disease, kidney disease, dysentery, paralysis of infectious origin, and as an antidote for poisonous snake bites, bees, wasps.
Purslane in cooking
A garden purslane is used in cooking. Leaves and the upper young parts of shoots, cut to flowering, are used in food. After flowering, leaves grow coarse, hard and unsuitable for food. Therefore, purslane sow several times per season.
Portulaca leaves are eaten raw in salads and boiled in soups, stewed, etc. Portulaca is added to vitamin salads, they are decorated with sandwiches, stewed and fried. It goes well with soups, vegetable dishes and savory sauces.
The portulak is salted and pickled, preparing for the winter for the future. Pickled purslane - excellent seasoning for meat dishes. Remember, purslane does not fit well with potatoes, cucumbers and tomatoes.
It is possible to prepare purslane for the future, cutting off the shoots and leaves in the flowering phase, salt them, pickle or dry and store in paper bags. In winter, as needed, they are crushed and used, adding as a valuable food additive to various dishes.
Portulaca greens goes well with the melon pulp. Photo: Care2.com
Old portulaca stalks are added to soups and stews, and thick, juicy stalks marinate. First, they are thoroughly washed in water, then they are blanched in boiling water, thrown back into a colander, allowed to drain and cut into pieces 5–8 cm long. At the bottom of the half-liter cans, one bay leaf and 2 chopped garlic cloves are placed. Portulac tightly laid out on the banks and poured marinade.
Externally, purslane is a very unusual and original plant. Its stems are bare, juicy, fleshy, up to 60 cm long, pressed to the ground, radially diverging in different directions. They branch from the very foundation, which is why the purslank sown in rows quickly forms a solid carpet about 20 cm high on the garden bed. The leaves are small, thick, fleshy, green or yellowish, sometimes with pigment. They have a variety of shapes, alternate or assembled in the outlet.
In the leaf axils and in the place of branching of the shoots are small, yellow, inconspicuous flowers that open in sunny weather. They bloom 30–35 days after emergence and bloom until October.
The portulak is demanding to heat, dies even at small frosts. At low positive temperatures, the growth and development of plants is sharply slowed down. It is photophilous, grows well in open sunny areas and does not tolerate shading.
At the same time, it is a plant of short daylight, slowing down its development with an increase in the length of daylight.
Portulak suits any soil. But a higher yield can be obtained on fertile light, sufficiently moist soils that are treated the same way as for the cultivation of lettuce. He does not tolerate a strong overmoistening of the soil.
Portulac is propagated by sowing seeds into the ground or by seedling. Small portulac seeds are sown in early June after the cessation of spring frosts with an interval of 12-14 days. The seeds are embedded in the furrows to a depth of no more than 1 cm. The width of the spacing, depending on the soil fertility, is 45–60 cm.
Seed shoots appear in 10-14 days. In the phase of two true leaves, the crops are thinned, leaving 15–20 cm in the row between the plants. Simultaneously with this thinning, the collection of leaves begins. Cut off in the summer at a height of 3-4 cm from the ground shoots after 15-20 days grow back.
If necessary, after one of the cut-offs, fertilize with ammonium nitrate or urea (10–20 g per 1 m 2) or with a mullein solution (1:10).
Уход за растениями заключается в систематическом уничтожении сорняков, рыхлении почвы и поливах, т.к. при недостаточном увлажнении листья грубеют, приобретают сильно жгучий привкус.
Harvesting begins when the shoots reach a length of 15–20 cm, that is, 20–30 days after emergence of the shoots. During the growing season spend a few cuts of green. Harvesting of greenery must be completed before full maturity of the seeds, since they easily fall off and the next year they germinate in neighboring beds like weeds. Therefore, in its cultivation, care is needed.
Among the varieties of portulaca gourmets-experts distinguish three varieties: Broadleaf, Green and Golden Yellow.
There is also a decorative variety of this plant - this is a large-flowered purslane. On its reddish stems bloom bright pink, purple or white flowers. It is beautiful and edible too, but also unpopular with gardeners. Apparently because its flowers bloom only in full sun and close as soon as the lighting diminishes. But this is a topic for another conversation.
Garden purslane - what is it?
From this article you will learn:
In its growth it is extremely unpretentious.
There are many versions of the appearance of its so unusual name.
According to some, the name comes from the Latin word, which in translation means "chicken leg".
According to another version, the clue to his name lies in his seed box. When the plant matures, its doors open like a gate.
In a different way, it is also called a flea or nipple.
It is believed that the birthplace of the plant is western India.
From there it eventually migrated to Europe and from there it continued its triumphal journey throughout the world.
In Russia, starting from the 19th century, the plant was constantly present in the monasteries of men. This was due to the fact that it has the ability to inhibit male sexual attraction. To this end, he was specially introduced into the diet of monks.
Now the plant can be found in our country in the southern regions.
In the wild, it can be found in wastelands, river valleys, ditches along the roads and the coastal strip of various water bodies.
- The stalks of the plant are juicy, fleshy, in length they can reach 6 tens centimeters, they spread along the ground. Shoots at the ends are characterized by the presence of a crimson hue.
- Above the ground they are slightly elevated.
- Leaves are small but fleshy.
- Some identify it in appearance with the money tree by the similarity of their leaves. At the bottom of the leaves have a spiral arrangement, and the top are located opposite.
- The flowers are very small, have a yellow color. Flowering time falls in the middle of summer.
- Flowers are able to gather in bunches and look very beautiful in appearance. Seeds are black in color, arranged in boxes. They have an ovoid or spherical shape.
- The opening of the boxes occurs through the formation of transverse cracks. This type of box is called Krynochka. She is the fruit of this plant.
- The time of ripening boxes falls on the very beginning of autumn.
Currently, some gardeners use cultivation purtulaka and in their garden plots.
In Central Asia and Transcaucasia, portulac is cultivated as a popular vegetable plant. It is unpretentious to the conditions - it grows everywhere, where at least for one season a warm climate is established. On the territory of the Russian Federation the plant is common in the European part. Often found on the sidelines, as well as on the banks of reservoirs. A characteristic feature - the purslane garden grows on black soil, in which there is no fertilizer. This allows you to use the plant without the risk of poisoning with pesticides and other additives.
Garden purslane belongs to grassy annuals, annually beginning their vegetation from seeds. The plant spreads well with shoots and roots, so in order to remove the purslane garden it will take hard and very painstaking work - you need to pull it together with the root, and then take it out of the garden, making sure that small branches and leaves are not scattered. After entering the soil, the seeds retain an upward capacity for three years. This means that on the site of plant growth will have to spend an active fight with him for more than one season. The purslane looks like this.
- Roots. The core root system has a main succulent root, from which a few lateral branches depart. Portulaca root is fragile. Often the above-ground part comes off at the exit from the root, and the underground part remains in the soil, giving new sunrises. The root penetrates the soil to a depth of 20 cm, which further complicates the process of removing plants from the site. The branches are characterized by rapid rooting — literally within 24 hours, the stubbornly detached stalks turn out to be tightly fixed in the ground.
- Stems. Have a brownish, crimson-tinged color. Often lying, the ends of the stems ascending. Shoots are characterized by active branching, due to which one specimen of portulaca is able to grow into a decent area. The stems have a dense structure, are well supplied with juice from the underground part, which ensures a constant coolness of the portulac carpet. However, they are also quite fragile.
- Leaves. Placed at the base of the shoots in a spiral, closer to the end of the placement of the opposite. Since the purslane garden refers to the succulent plants - its leaves are thick and fleshy, accumulate a large amount of juice. The shape of the leaf plate is rounded ovoid or web-shaped, the attachment to the stalks is sessile, the edge is integral. The surface of the leaves is smooth, often shiny, veins and pores can be seen on it.
- Flowers The plant actively blooms from late June to late August. The flowers are very small, collected in small inflorescences in the sinuses or places of branching stems. In this case, there may be single. The flowers are characterized by very small sizes, and a pale yellow color, so they are not so easy to find.
- Fetus. A purslane fructifies with small boxes that are not as large as 1 cm in size. The box is opened as a gate, therefore it is called a "little rat". Its shape is spherical. Inside is concentrated a lot of very small seeds. Smooth and shiny, they have almost black color.
Features and rules of procurement
Prepare the purslane garden for the winter, you can use drying, pickling or pickling. In the first case, the raw materials are added to food and used for the preparation of medicines. Procurement is as follows.
- Collection By collecting plants begin a month after the first shoots. During this time, the shoots reach 20-30 cm, are collected a sufficient amount of moisture and nutrients. As a rule, the purslane is already blooming by the specified time. Cut stalks can be at the very base. Drying is better for young leafy parts. Thicker parts of the stems are thrown away due to the high risk of their rotting during the drying process.
- Training. The purslane creeps right along the ground, which is why it is often covered with dust, sand, and other contaminants. To remove them, the plant must be thoroughly washed. In the first washing, it is better to use warm water to remove traces of insects and other wet contamination. Further, for washing it is necessary to use a large amount of cool water. Wash the raw materials more conveniently in a colander with large holes. After washing the plant can be hung on a thick thread to remove excess water, or decompose the branches on a towel that absorbs moisture well.
- Drying. If the plant is cut at the base, it is easy to dry in limbo, placing the thread in the shade, in the open air. In warm conditions, the hung purslane dries quickly and efficiently. Small shoots and leaves are dried on a paper or fabric pallet, also placing it in the shade and often turning the raw material to avoid contamination with mold.
- Storage. Dried shoots are crushed, packed for storage in canvas or paper bags. Suitable and wooden packaging. Store purslane can be until next season, that is, 1 year.
The use of garden purslane is preserved when it is marinated. The process goes like this.
- Collection Raw materials are collected in the flowering phase, preferably young stems with leaves up to 30 cm long.
- Training. The purslane is well washed from dust and earth, with plenty of cool water.
- Cooking. Boil the water, immerse the leafy stems for five minutes. After that, you need to remove the raw material and tightly placed in glass jars.
- Marinade. To a liter of water, add a couple of tablespoons of salt and one - sugar, as well as spices to taste: garlic, tarragon, basil, dill, parsley, black pepper. The mixture is brought to a boil, add a tablespoon of table or apple cider vinegar. Immediately after adding it, turn off the marinade and pour the prepared purslane greens in cans. Roll up the lids, after complete cooling is sent to the pantry. Not rolled up the purslane can be eaten within a day after pouring the marinade.
Recipes for garden purslane often differ in the list of spices used. The principle of marinating (with the addition of salt, sugar and vinegar) is common to all of them.
Salted purslane is used in cooking: added to soups, meat, fish, vegetable dishes. Salads and cold snacks are made on its basis. The method allows you to cook a lot of different dishes, because in the salted greens you can add new spices each time. For salads it is better to use a recipe with pickle. Preparation on it goes in several stages.
- Preparing greens. Collected purslane is well washed, crushed into several parts, immersed in boiling water, boil until soft.
- Preparation of brine. In a glass of boiling water add half a tablespoon of salt. After its complete dissolution turn off the water.
- Packing In the prepared sterilized jars lay out hot purslane, pour brine, roll covers.
A dry ambassador is suitable for adding to dishes, because the greens are very salty. Prepare so.
- Preparing greens. The collected purslane (about 1 kg) is well washed, crushed into short branches, and the leaves are separated. Place the purslane in a bowl.
- Pickling. In the greens add 200 g of salt. Stir the mixture until the crystals completely dissolve and distribute. You can gently press down the leaves so that they let the juice.
- Packing Well-salted greens are placed in sterile jars, covered with nylon caps, put in a dark cool place.
Composition of raw materials
Garden purlane is called a weed recklessly, since this plant has a very rich and active chemical composition that allows it to maintain overall health and to treat many pathological conditions. The plant has a high nutritional value, since it is saturated with sugars and proteins. Positive quality of raw materials - the content of these substances in an easily digestible form. The unusual biologically active compounds contained in purslane are as follows.
- Portulozid. Glycosidic compound that increases the tone of the vascular walls. This gives portulac the ability to increase blood pressure.
- Carotenoids. Lutein and beta carotene are represented. These substances belong to provitamins A, which have antioxidant properties and regulate the secretory function of stomach cells. Due to this, the plant increases the acidity of gastric juice, improves digestion.
- Phenol carbolic acids. Presented gallic, cinnamic, ferulic and synapic acids. Possess antibacterial, antiviral, immunostimulating properties. Stimulate the formation of bile and urine.
- Coumarins. Possess antithrombotic effect, improve the rheological properties of blood. They have antitumor activity and antimicrobial properties.
- Fatty acid. The largest proportion of the active form of linolenic acid, the body needs to convert lipid compounds and reduce cholesterol in the blood.
- Organic acids. The most contained oxalic acid. It has antimicrobial activity, a participant in metabolic processes.
- Flavonoids. Natural vasoprotectors and peripheral circulation stimulants. Have the ability to regulate heart activity.
- Steroid substances. Required for normal regeneration processes in all tissues of the body.
- Alkaloids. They have anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects, as well as stimulate the immune system.
- Saponins. Normalize the motility of the intestinal muscles, as well as ureters.
- Mucus. They have an enveloping, regenerating, expectorant effect, which is accompanied by an anti-inflammatory effect.
- Nutrients. Vitamins of group B - regulate metabolism, normalize the work of nerve endings. Vitamin K - eliminates internal bleeding. Nicotinic acid is a stimulator of restoring damaged tissue and regulating metabolic processes. Vitamin C is a natural antioxidant that eliminates internal inflammatory processes and increases the body's resistance against viruses and bacteria.
- Minerals Portulac is rich in potassium, calcium, sodium, manganese, copper, fluorine and phosphorus, as well as chromium, nickel and molybdenum, which participate in the synthesis of enzymes and regulate electrolyte metabolism.
Basics of safe therapy
The harm of the portulaca of the garden lies in the content of specific compounds that can affect the heart rhythm. The plant is shown for hypotension, however, only in the case of the preservation of a normal pulse, since slowing it down is a prohibition for taking the plant.
It should be abandoned for pregnant and lactating women, as well as for people in old age who have serious disorders in the work of the cardiovascular system.
Contraindications for garden purslane include increased nervous excitability, as the plant can provoke seizures.
How to apply
Treatment with purslane is common only in traditional medicine. Pharmaceutical preparations based on it do not exist, but there are a lot of prescriptions for their independent preparation. Below are the most popular ones.
Features Used as a choleretic and diuretic, as well as for cleansing the liver, treating impotence, hormonal disorders in women. They can also treat purulent wounds and other skin lesions.
Preparation and use
- A tablespoon of chopped herbs is poured with a glass of boiling water.
- The mixture is immediately put on a slow fire and boil for 10 minutes.
- After a two-hour infusion in a wrapped dish, the medium is filtered.
- Take the broth inside a couple of tablespoons, up to five times per day or used externally.
Features It is used as lotions and compresses for the treatment of psoriatic lesions, ulcerative skin lesions, as well as for lichen. Also, the infusion is taken orally to detoxify the body, heal ulcerative lesions of the gastrointestinal tract, and intestinal disorders.
Preparation and use
- A tablespoon of herbs is poured with an incomplete glass of freshly boiled water.
- Insist means for one and a half hours.
- Is taken internally in two tablespoons, four to five times a day or used externally.
Nourishing face mask
Features It is used for dry, irritated or sensitive skin. Allows to smooth wrinkles, eliminate flaking, rashes, skin inflammation.
Preparation and use
- A couple of tablespoons of chopped herbs mixed with the same amount of cottage cheese and sour cream.
- Apply on the face with a thick layer, leave for 15 minutes.
- Wash off with warm water or decoction of chamomile.
Features Strengthens hair follicles, improves hair structure, gives it shine, helps to completely get rid of dandruff.
Preparation and use
- Two tablespoons of herbs poured a glass of boiling water.
- Insist means for an hour.
- After the usual washing of the head with a means of rinsing the hair roots, then rubbed it with your fingertips for 10 minutes, do not wash off.
According to the reviews, the plant perfectly copes with the pharmacological tasks assigned to it. Under the action of the grass, a noticeable rejuvenation of the body is observed, the appearance is improved, energy appears for solving daily tasks. The use of purslane gardening is not only a method of therapy, but also a good prevention of possible health problems.
Purslane garden - Useful properties
Some believe that purslane is an unrecognized genius of traditional medicine.
One can speak and argue about this as much as necessary, but such an assertion has the right not only to exist, but is also an indisputable fact.
And this is far from being an empty statement, since portulaca grass has unique healing properties:
- The plant has a diuretic effect. As a result, it can be used in conditions involving urinary retention.
- It has purslane and hypotensive effect. Its use will help reduce pressure. The presence of this effect is closely related to the previous characteristic.
- This plant is shown to those who have problems with the stomach, manifested in the form of peptic ulcer.
- The plant has a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect. In this regard, they are used in various conditions associated with the presence of the inflammatory process.
- Обладает портулак и гпогликемическим эффектом. Действие его проявляется в способности снижать уровень сахара в крови. Это является особенно актуальным в отношении сахарного диабета.
- The plant is characterized by action with a pronounced antimicrobial character.
- This plant is a natural antioxidant. Its similar effect is due to the fact that it inhibits the formation of free radicals in the body, which have a destructive effect on the body at the cellular level.
- If the skin appeared lichen, then get rid of them will help the use of this plant.
- The use of purslane herb in the form of lotions will help relieve itching, which can occur for a variety of reasons.
- It will help to get rid of warts.
- In folk medicine, purslane juice is used even in the treatment of sexually transmitted diseases.
- Portulac has a slight laxative effect. Therefore, it can be used as a laxative. This circumstance can relieve constipation.
- Preparations from the aerial parts of the plant help to reduce blood sugar levels, for this reason they are often included in the complex therapy of diabetes.
- Portulac has anti-inflammatory effects. Gruel from fresh leaves of the plant is recommended to apply to areas of inflammation and insect bites.
The composition of the plant has been studied more than once, and it has been proven to contain various useful and valuable chemicals. Despite this, the official medicine for some reason still does not dare to give the green light to its use.
But in folk medicine, it has been used for a long time and very successfully.
In folk medicine, various prescriptions are used with purslane:
- If there are pustular lesions on the skin, or weeping eczema is present, then purticula seeds can help. To do this, 10 g of seeds is poured into cups of boiling water and boiled for 10 minutes. After that, the mixture is infused for ½ hour and filtered.
- If worried about ulcerative colitis, it will help decoction of the portulaca herb. A spoonful of herb plants is boiled in water with a volume of 200 ml. After this, the broth is allowed to infuse for 1.5 hours, filtered and taken in a tablespoon before meals.
- If you are concerned about pain, then raw materials in the amount of 40 g are steamed in boiling water for two hours. Boiling water should be 200 ml. Then add the chicken protein of two eggs. Before use, the mixture should be slightly heated. All this amount is drunk during the day. Course duration is a week.