Honorable place among the favorite gardeners vegetables occupy onions and garlic. Naturally, to get a good harvest, you need to know what, when and under what conditions to plant, how to care for a particular crop. In competent farmers there are always a few tricks in the stock, thanks to which they get the desired result.
Garlic autumn and spring planting (winter and spring)
Like cereals, garlic can be planted twice a year - in early spring and autumn. Therefore, all its varieties are divided into spring and winter. Each type has its pros and cons. Take winter garlic. Landing on the plot is made in the fall. It matures better, has large teeth, richness and a hearty taste. But to keep it longer than a few months, does not work even in the refrigerator. Heads begin to turn black, deteriorate, rot. Spring is much better suited for long-term storage, it will be enough for the whole autumn, winter and spring, and if the harvest is rich, then the next summer.
Features of spring planting
Before you start gardening, you need to figure out what kind of soil is suitable for planting garlic. Of course, chernozem comes first. In addition, loamy soils are good - light and medium. Naturally, they will require good fertilizer, humus. When the plants go into growth, nitrogen-containing and potassium supplements will need to be added to the soil. Without such feeding, garlic heads will grow small, with small cloves. And now a few main rules of how to plant garlic in the spring:
- It is necessary to choose the right time. The soil should warm up no less than up to +5 degrees, and the danger of frost should be eliminated, otherwise the garlic will freeze and will not germinate. Therefore, the optimal landing time will be the middle - the end of April or the beginning of May. However, do not hesitate. If you miss the right moment, not knowing when and how to plant garlic in the spring, by the time of harvest, he simply will not have time to grow and ripen properly.
- For spring and autumn planting it is necessary to sort the teeth. In the same row should be planted about the same - because the size affects the growth rate. Therefore, do this: small ones - to small ones, medium ones - to medium ones, and large ones should be planted in one row. Then you can dig up garlic as it matures.
- The following rule is about how to plant garlic in the spring: it must be germinated in advance. To this end, harvested teeth, always healthy, soak in warm water for a couple of hours. “Touch up” it with a small amount of “blue stone” - copper sulfate. This will kill various disease-causing larvae and bacteria, and obviously healthy seedlings will fall into the ground. Then they can be wrapped in a slightly damp cloth, and let them lie down until the sprouts are released in the refrigerator, in the vegetable compartment.
- How to plant garlic in the spring, to what depth - another important question. Deep pits should not be done - three centimeters is enough. After all, the first shoots of garlic are small, it will be hard for them to make their way through a thick layer of soil, and the harvest will have to ripen much longer.
- land before planting teeth should be prepared accordingly. First of all, future rows should be watered with a weak solution of the same vitriol. The proportions of the solution - 1 spoon (table) in a bucket of water. In general, drugs that contain cuprum (copper), great help in the fight against pests and plant diseases, so stock them. They are also good for protecting tomatoes from aphids and other parasites.
- For garlic, light and heat are important. Therefore, it should be planted in sunny or slightly shaded areas. The soil must be wet, but not wet, not a firebox, otherwise the plant will simply rot.
- And the last rule: in order to save space, many owners plant several crops side by side, back to back. So, garlic does not tolerate such neighbors as cucumbers and onions. Therefore arrange their beds at some distance from each other. At the landing itself, the distance between the holes in the row should be 6-8, and between the rows - 10-15 centimeters. Good luck to you in garden affairs and a good harvest!
The benefits of spring planting
The main reason explaining the desire of gardeners to plant garlic in the spring, is the quality of the harvest: a vegetable planted during this period, differs in good keeping quality: garlic heads are preserved for almost the entire winter period, without losing their nutritional and taste qualities.
In addition, such garlic is more resistant to pests and diseases, which often suffer from winter onion crops. In addition, a properly planted vegetable will give friendly shoots: the land at the site has managed to warm up well, and the threat of night frosts has passed. Therefore, if for any reason you could not plant garlic before winter, you should not be upset - after all, this can be done in the spring.
Spring garlic has medium-sized heads consisting of 15–20 lobules, which are arranged in a spiral. Prepare for spring planting should be in the fall.
- Selected seeds are placed in a bagwhich is then buried in the ground to a depth of 0.5 m and covered with compost, film, or fallen leaves, which will provide the seeds with protection from severe frosts. If the amount of planting material is small, it can be placed in the refrigerator.
- With the onset of spring, it is recommended to disassemble the garlic into slices, remove the scales and place for 7−9 hours in any solution that stimulates the growth of the root system.
- After soaking seed must be wrapped in a damp soft clothput in a plastic bag, leaving access to the air and put in the refrigerator. As a rule, the procedure is carried out about a month before spring planting. Keep the fabric constantly wet: for this you need to regularly moisten it with water. Within 30 days roots will appear on garlic cloves, up to 5 cm long.
- Carefully inspect the planting material, removing the damaged and affected teeth, as well as too small heads.
The teeth are divided into groups, depending on the size: large, medium, small. When planting, they should be placed at different sites so that they do not shade each other during growth. In addition, this method allows you to harvest in waves, that is, as the fruit ripens.
It is recommended to make spring planting of garlic on the head as early as possible: the spice has a high resistance to low temperatures and is able to develop even with minimal positive values. Do not delay the process, otherwise the culture may simply not have time to grow. If you follow all the rules of agricultural technology, you will be able to get your first harvest at the end of summer or early autumn.
Every gardener has long known that garlic does not have a well-developed root system and therefore requires planting only in well-moistened soil. Culture prefers to grow in areas with neutral soil, if the soil in your garden is slightly acidic, you can try to dilute it with ash. Approximately 14–15 days before planting, soil on the ridge is fertilized with humus or compost, after which the surface is dug up and leveled using a garden rake.
We form beds
Spring planting, however, as the autumn is carried out in even rows. When forming beds You must adhere to the following landing pattern: the distance between plants should be about 5 cm, the embedding depth should be no more than 4 cm. However, if the crop being planted belongs to large-fruited varieties, the distance should be increased by 2–3 cm. The recommended row spacing is about 40 cm, which will greatly facilitate the care of the crop : weeding, watering, loosening.
Grooves with planting material placed in them are sprinkled with soil, lightly slamming from above. Formed beds should preferably be covered with a layer of mulch. To do this, you can use regular dry grass or pine needles. This procedure is not mandatory, however, it can be used to preserve the soil moisture and protect the crop from drying out.
When setting dry weather, planting material planted in moist soil needs additional watering. The first shoots appear after two weeks.
Features planting garlic in the spring
Many believe that garlic can be planted on any free space in the garden, However, this is not quite true. The fact is that the plant belongs to the group of light-loving crops, therefore the area under it should be chosen appropriate. In addition, the sequence of planting is also important: change the location of garlic beds every year, otherwise you risk a significant reduction in yield and also expose garlic to pests.
When landing do not make excessive efforts and push the teeth into the ground - in this way it is possible to damage the still unformed roots. It is also important to take into account the crops that grew in the area before planting garlic. In no case do not plant spice after tomatoes, onions and potatoes. But the ideal predecessors are zucchini, cucumbers, cabbage and beans. In the neighbors can grow strawberries, for which garlic is the perfect protection against pests.
How to plant garlic cloves
The teeth are planted 6–8 cm apart and 20–30 cm between the rows, to a depth of 2 cm, bottom up. Do not bury the seeds too much, because too much a layer of soil (more than three cm) can prevent the garlic plants from hatching.
Immediately after landing carry out feeding with ammonium sulfate solution (2 tbsp. L / 10 l of water), while for 1 m² there are 4−5 l of nutrient fluid. Garlic feed up again in July - this will not allow pests to attack the planting. After the emergence of shoots, you can make phosphate-potassium fertilizers (50−60 grams of potassium sulfate and 90−100 grams. Superphosphate). The dosage is designed for 10 m² of garlic plantings. Also, ammonium nitrate (60 gr.) Is used as a top dressing.
Garlic is a moisture-loving crop., therefore, requires periodic watering. However, you should not be zealous in this matter, because the stagnation of moisture in the soil will negate all your efforts to grow spices. The earth should not be constantly in its raw state.
In spring, garlic can be planted with bulbs. This is the most appropriate method of planting, since it can be used to significantly reduce the risk of developing diseases and improve the seed fund.
However, note that planting bulbs only provide you with quality seed for autumn sowing. In this case, to get a full-fledged harvest is possible only the next year, after collecting the winter crop.
Until spring, planting material is stored in open plastic bags in a folded 2–3 times newspaper. Before planting, the seeds must be activated, i.e., allowed to grow. To do this, they are placed in the refrigerator 40 days before planting. If you ignore this rule, you will get plants that remain green until the autumn and give arrows. At the same time, onion bulbs turn out to be small and unripe - they are not suitable for food and can not be used as planting material.
The cultivation of a bulbous culture will be a single-tongue garlic, which ideal for landing in winter.
Have the seeds at a distance of 7−8 cm from each other, while per 1 m ² accounted for up to 15 bulbbok (large). On sandy soils, the seeds are planted to a depth of 2−3 cm, on heavy - 1.5−2 cm
Common mistakes when planting spring garlic
When cultivating garlic, as well as other crops, gardeners also have certain misses related to planting spices and further harvesting.
- As practice shows, at violation of terms of landingexisting for a particular crop, the quality of the crop is significantly reduced. Of course, winter garlic, planted in the spring, will germinate and bear fruit, however, they will not be what we would like to receive. But these plants will provide you with fresh greens throughout the summer season.
- One more is enough common mistake gardeners is delayed planting garlicwhen the average daily temperature surely stays above +5 degrees. In such cases, plants until late autumn will increase the green mass, rather than onions.
Varieties for spring planting conditionally can be divided into the following groups:
- Non-shooting - Aleysky, Abrek, Yelenovsky, Victoria, Yershovsky, Moscow, Kalininsky local, Sochi.
- Giving an arrow. For example, Guliver.
- Unusual. This could be Flavor or Kledor - varieties bred by French breeders. They have cream colored lobules.
In Moscow, good varieties of garlic such as Moscow, Aleysky and Kalininsky local showed good yields.
To grow large spring garlic, you need only follow the rules of planting and plant careAnd also know when to plant garlic in spring. After reading the basic recommendations, you can easily get a rich harvest of the spice, so beloved by the people.
When exactly to plant in the spring?
Garlic, planted in the spring, called spring. Depending on the region, it is necessary to take into account climatic features when planting.
Planting work should begin at the end of April or at the beginning of May only after the snow has melted, when the soil has warmed up to plus five degrees. Landing time will depend on the region and climatic conditions. For example, when planting garlic in the Moscow region, it will be necessary to wait for the month of April, and in a warm region it will be possible to plant seedlings at the end of March.
General rules for landing
Now let's talk about the main rules of planting garlic plants in the spring:
- The risk of frost should be excluded. If the soil is not heated to +5 degrees, the garlic can simply not germinate, because it will freeze. Depending on the climate and region, planting may begin in mid-April and continue until early May. Missing the right time for planting is also impossible, if you plant garlic with a delay, it may not grow or will not have time to ripen.
- Before planting, it is imperative to sort the teeth into three piles: in the first heap are small, in the second medium size, in the third the largest. The fact is that in the same row should be planted teeth of the same size, so you can harvest garlic from one bed, ripening at one time. The size of the cloves will greatly influence the speed with which the garlic will grow and the time of ripening.
- Before spring planting garlic need to have time to germinate in advance. To do this, select healthy sorted teeth and soak in warm water for several hours. Vodichku, in which soaked garlic, need a little stain copper sulphate. Copper sulfate helps to destroy bacteria and disease-causing larvae on seedlings. Then after 2-3 hours, wrap the seedlings in a rag that is slightly damp. There is a special vegetable compartment in the refrigerator, so you need to store the seedlings until the sprouts are released.
- The depth of the pits for planting garlic should not exceed 3 centimeters, otherwise it will be very hard for garlic to germinate. The first garlic sprouts are quite small, so they are hard to break through a thick layer of soil. The harvest will also ripen for very long.
- The land is also specially prepared for planting garlic cloves. First of all, the rows selected for planting garlic are watered with a poorly prepared solution of copper sulphate. In a bucket dissolve one tablespoon of copper sulfate. Against various diseases and pests use drugs and products containing copper or in a different way cuprum.
- Sunlight is very important for a garlic plant; therefore, teeth should be planted in a sunny area or slightly shaded where it is warm.
- In order for a garlic plant not to start to rot, it should be planted not in a firebox or wet soil, but in a moist one.
- In no case can not plant butt several crops. Garlic will not tolerate neighbors such as onions and cucumbers. Teeth should be planted 6-8 centimeters from each other; there should be a distance of 10 to 15 centimeters between the beds.
- It will be wrong to plant winter garlic in the spring. The harvest, of course, will give winter garlic, but its taste, quantity and size will not be the same as if it would be planted in autumn.
- It is necessary to constantly update the seed, otherwise there will be a high risk of garlic white rot.
- The roots of germinated garlic should not be damaged when they are planted, so do not press the clove into the soil.
Choosing a place
Medium-loamy soil, black-earth, light-loamy soil is well suited for planting garlic. Soil with high acidity will lead to diseases of garlic plants.
Нельзя сажать зубчики чеснока в тех местах, где раньше был посажен лук, картофель, огурцы или помидоры, в качестве соседей по посадке чеснок их также не переносит.
Отлично подойдут для высадки места, где в прошлые года росли смородина, кабачки, крыжовник, бобовые, клубника, малина или капуста. Поскольку чеснок луковая культура, поэтому она ежегодно должна высаживаться в разных местах.
The main thing is to choose a warm place that is well illuminated by the sun, where the garlic will receive a sufficient amount of sunlight. The chosen place should be digged, then loosen the bed, remove all weeds on it and pour plenty of the solution prepared in a bucket of water mixed with three tablespoons of regular salt. The soil will be ready for planting garlic cloves within two days after the procedures.
Preparation of planting material
Just plant chives in the soil will not be enough. Planting material must first be prepared. If the seed is processed correctly, then it will positively affect the storage time of the crop and its quantity.
Preparation will consist of three steps: calibration, disinfection and germination:
- Calibration is to sort garlic cloves. If spring garlic is carefully calibrated, then it will produce excellent in quantity and quality fruits. First of all, you should remove cracked, damaged, small and irregularly shaped cloves from the pile. It is best to select dense, healthy, large, whole seedlings for planting.
- Disinfection. To disinfect the seedlings need to prepare a solution. 400 grams of wood ash stir with 2 liters of water, boil the solution for half an hour and cool it. After this, the seed is kept in this solution for one and a half hours.
- Germination. If you germinate seedlings of spring garlic, you will be pleased with the results when planting in the spring. Germinate should be as follows: soak the seedlings in water, colored copper sulphate, for two hours. Then wrap them in a damp cloth and put them in a bag of polyethylene. The procedure takes only a few days, it should be carried out at room temperature.
There are some rules for the care of garlic:
- Since the garlic plant prefers a moist soil, irrigation should not be neglected. Within 4 weeks after the garlic is planted, it must be kept watered. After this period, it will be possible to water the plants only in case of severe drought. But make sure that there is no excess of moisture, then the root system will be damaged.
- The soil should be fertilized. In order to form cloves of garlic will need phosphorus and potassium. 60 grams of potassium sulfate or 100 grams of superphosphate will be enough for 10 square meters. Of course, the type of soil will depend on how many times it is necessary to fertilize the soil and how to feed it. Top dressing is not necessary for chernozem, because it has practically everything necessary for good growth and maturation. And those who live in the suburbs are obliged to enrich the soil every ten days.
- In order to maintain constant air circulation in the soil, it is necessary to loosen it at times.
- Weeds need to be eliminated, otherwise a powerful root system of weeds will not give the opportunity to form full-fledged bulbs.
- Garlic is fertilized with nitrogenous fertilizers to get the best yield. A couple of weeks after sowing, when the first shoots appear, the soil can be fertilized with potassium chloride. The second feeding time comes when garlic bulbs are formed.
Planting garlic in the spring on the head
Many gardeners prefer to plant garlic in the spring, because in this case, with minimal time and effort, you can get a generous harvest of roots. For planting use garlic cloves - this is the most popular method of planting, characterized by simplicity.
By planting garlic to get large roots start as soon as the cottage melts snow and the soil warms up to +5 degrees, but no more. If you are late in planting, the feather of garlic will grow, not the head. Garlic is a frost-resistant culture, which is not afraid of night temperature drops in spring.
In the southern regions, for example, in Ukraine, in the Crimea and the Krasnodar Territory, in the Kuban, planting garlic is to be practiced in mid-April. In the Moscow region and central Russia - in the second half of April. Summer residents living in Siberia, in the Urals, start planting garlic on the head in early May.
By the end of May - the beginning of June, garlic will release arrows, from which the majority of summer residents dispose of. If this is not done, the head can grow small, because the culture will spend a lot of juice and nutrients on the formation of seeds. Some gardeners deliberately leave a few arrows, then to collect the bulbs and use the seeds for planting. Collect the seed after the seed box begins to crack. The arrows are cut, bound and sent for drying in the shade. The following spring, these seeds can be used for growing large heads of garlic.
How to plant garlic in the spring is right about?
For large heads of garlic, experienced gardeners recommend fertilizing the area with mullein and urea.
Planting spring garlic in the spring on the head is a simple procedure, so even novice gardeners can easily master the technology. First of all, choose a suitable site for landing. Garlic grows well and does not get sick when planted after cabbage, legumes and zucchini. If you plant in a garden where the crop grew last year, the plant can often get sick and suffer from pests that have accumulated in the soil.
Planting of spring garlic on the head is carried out according to the following recommendations of experienced summer residents:
- Site preparation includes loosening the beds, fertilization. As a top dressing in the spring make compost or humus.
- Preparing garlic cloves. To this end, the heads are neatly divided into teeth, while being careful not to damage them. Damaged cloves affected by diseases, pests are thrown away. Suitable planting material for 3 days sent in a damp cloth in the refrigerator. It is necessary to arrange them in the compartment for vegetables.
- After the garlic is taken out and soaked overnight in water at room temperature.
- For the prevention of infection of planting diseases using the drug "Fitosporin". In the finished solution soaked teeth according to the instructions to the drug.
- The treatment of garlic with growth stimulants includes soaking in a solution of the Epin biopreparation. It is harmless to humans, and garlic grows better after processing.
- Preparing the beds. The distance between the rows is 20 cm, the distance between the heads in a row is 5-10 cm, depending on the variety. Grooves make a depth of about 5-8 cm.
- The clove is plunged a few centimeters during planting, the bed is watered and sprinkled with soil.
The first shoots will appear 2 weeks after planting. Until this time, the plant intensively increases the root mass. During the season it is recommended to make mineral fertilizers, for example, ashes of fruit trees, ammonium sulphate. For large heads of garlic, experienced gardeners recommend fertilizing the area with mullein and urea.
How to plant spring garlic in the spring correctly, video:
Planting garlic in the spring on the head of every summer resident. Culture does not require special care. It is enough to water the plantations regularly, loosen the soil, apply fertilizer, fight weeds. Then large heads of garlic will amaze you with their taste and size. We offer to share our experience and secrets of growing large garlic in the country.
Allocate winter and spring varieties. They differ in appearance, taste and period of planting. Neither can be planted in the same place every year. These plants consume a large amount of nutrients, the soil should have time to "rest" after harvesting garlic. Planting after solanaceous plants (tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and others) is also undesirable.
It is worth paying attention to the size and location of the teeth of each grade.
When winter varieties of garlic are planted
Winter garlic has the same large teeth, which are evenly distributed around the stem. The number of teeth is even, six or eight pieces, sometimes more. The central trunk is an inedible part, coming out of the ground in the form of a tall arrow containing seeds. The stump is the base, very dense and thick, the root system is well developed, therefore it is not easy to separate. To taste, winter plants can be sharp and peninsular.
The described type of garlic is planted before winter. The most favorable time is the second half of September or October. In this case, each clove will have time to take root before frost, which means that in summer you will be guaranteed a good harvest. In cooking, winter crops are most often used in summer and autumn. These varieties do not survive wintering. Therefore, the hostess annually plant and the second subspecies of the plant - spring.
The variety of garlic, which in the process of ripening shoots arrows, needs special treatment after emergence. Bulb jibs take a lot of nutrients. If the mistress plans to plant next year with the help of formed air seeds, you should not disturb the plant - let everything go on as usual. It is important to remember that in this case the head of garlic will be smaller and less nutritious. Therefore, to obtain a rich harvest, such arrows must be removed before their full maturation.
At home, when the beds are small, this is not difficult. When planting on an industrial scale to remove the bulb is not possible.
When spring varieties of garlic are planted
Spring garlic consists of a large number of cloves - from 10 to 20 pieces and more. In the outer circle they are large, they decrease to the middle. The absence of a central trunk, rolling in the arrow, is the main external difference from the winter counterpart. The root is not strongly developed.
Landing is made immediately after the end of winter frosts. By the end of the summer, you can get a long-awaited harvest, which can be stored for a long period of time, up to new shoots next year.
How to plant garlic in the fall
Before planting garlic for the winter you should prepare the soil. Winter varieties need loose and fertile land, so fertilizer should be added a couple of weeks before planting, and better for 1.5 months - immediately after harvesting the previous crop.
Bulbous plants consume a lot of nutrients, so you can not save on top dressing the soil, for each square meter of land you need up to one bucket of humus or compost
To cloves did not freeze out in harsh winter, they should be located at a depth of 10 centimeters. Usually, winter varieties are planted in the second half of September or in October, before frosts. Some farmers follow a number of traditions. So, according to one of them, garlic should be planted on the Orthodox feast of the Protection of the Holy Virgin - October 14. Other gardeners believe that the best time to work on earth falls on the period when the moon is in a declining phase.
In fact, the average daily temperature in the region is of great importance. If the vegetable garden is located in the southern parts of the country and the winter comes much later, there is a risk that the plant will take root and rise prematurely. This will have a detrimental effect on future harvest.
Therefore, in areas where winters are mild and freezing do not come in the fall, but in deep winter, you can plant teeth in late October or even after the first snow. It is not necessary to cover a bed with planted garlic for the winter. If all actions were performed correctly and at the right time, the harvest will be rich even after a long harsh winter.
What to do when garlic still ascended before the onset of cold weather? If winter is not too cold, with prolonged 30-degree frosts, the plant will survive and give fruit. Although the harvest in this case will not be as expected.
If there is a possibility, you should take the frozen loose earth and sprinkle the sprouts that have appeared. Also a great way to preserve the future crop will be mulch, created from the ground topper of last year's harvest or tree bark. In winter, it is recommended to additionally cover the area with winter snow.
Formed "fur coat" will protect premature shoots from cold weather
If the garlic did not have time to plant before the first frost, and the top layer of the earth was already frozen, you should not plant it later. The teeth or seeds will not have time to produce the necessary processes for rooting, the harvest will be bad. In this case, it is better to plan the spring variety in the spring.
How to plant garlic in the spring
Spring varieties of garlic are planted in early spring. Before this, the heads intended for planting should be taken apart, then the resulting material should be put into a bag and sprinkled with water. In this form, the teeth should be a few days. During this period they will wake up and maybe even take root.
It is not necessary to cultivate the land in a special way before planting, provided that since autumn it has received the necessary set of fertilizers. To protect the future crop from pests, it is possible to pretreat the soil with a solution of vitriol in proportion to one table to put on a bucket of water. In the spring, it is not right to plant garlic deeply - the height of the soil should be no more than three centimeters. Frost is over, and therefore does not require additional thermal protection. After the topsoil warms up to a temperature of +5 degrees, you can start planting.
Most often, this period falls on April. Each clove is located about three or four fingers apart.
It is better to stick to the rule - to distribute teeth on beds of the same size.
The size of the planting material will depend on the time of harvest, so they should be divided at the initial stage.
Many housewives in order to save different crops planted next to each other. It should be remembered that garlic does not tolerate neighborhoods with onions and cucumbers. Every year at the same place it can not be planted.
It is desirable to have small sides on each side of the beds, so moisture after watering or rains will last longer for the necessary plant nutrition. Some housewives before the start of the work process the ground with saline - three tablespoons of salt per 10 liters of water.
After planting spring garlic must be abundant watering. It is reduced only after the appearance of the first shoots.
Proper planting in separate lobules
The most popular, traditional way is considered planting in separate segments. Regardless of whether winter garlic or spring, to get a good harvest, you must follow these steps:
- All teeth placed in a weak solution of manganese for 2-3 hours in order to control pests. Another method is a solution of copper sulfate - in 2 liters of water 1 tsp. Keep the teeth need no more than 3-4 minutes. Do not hold all these activities at once. You should choose one of the options.
To enhance the effect, you can then lower the teeth into a saline solution — a tablespoon of coarse salt is needed for 1 liter of water. It is recommended to keep garlic in the second solution for no more than five minutes.
- Disassemble the heads of garlic into slices. They should be smooth and dense, well dried. Each clove must be peeled.
- For spring crops that are planted in early spring, it is recommended to pre-soak the teeth. For this, the dried and processed material is moistened with water and placed in a cool place for several days. Required with the ability to access air. If the wetted cloves are in the bag, do not tie it, as they can rot. After a few days, the planting material “wakes up” and releases roots or green stalks - it means you can transfer them to the ground.
The teeth are planted at a certain distance from each other.
The earth should be loose, well breathable
Planting garlic whole heads
Another common method of planting winter garlic, sometimes called "lazy." Separate and clean the cloves are not required. A whole head, pretreated with one of the methods described above, is buried in the ground. For winter varieties, it is necessary to bury the plant to a greater depth - up to 15 cm. Beforehand, each well must be filled with nutrients. Garlic always needs to be fed with fertilizers, and when planted with whole heads, the need increases several times.
This planting is preferable for those housewives who have limited space for the garden. In this case, it is not necessary to allocate a separate place for growing garlic. A lush bush will be visible anywhere: in the beds among the strawberries, not far from the apple tree trunks, around the currant bushes or raspberries. In this case, the garlic heads treated with special means will protect the neighboring plants from pests.
For planting selected the most beautiful, large and dense heads. The upper husk needs to be removed until the cloves are visible. It is imperative to cut the root plinth so that in the future there are no barriers to the germination of new roots. It is important not to injure the teeth themselves. В рыхлую почву, одобренную компостом и натуральным почвоулучшителем, помещают головку чеснока стеблем вверх и слегка придавливают. Затем лунку закапывают и обильно поливают. Расстояние между лунками должно быть не менее 25–30 см.
Результат такой посадки приятно удивит. В образованном кусте сформируется несколько головок чеснока. Каждая из них будет иметь немного меньший размер, чем при выращивании аналогичного сорта отдельными зубчиками. На вкусовые качества это не повлияет.
Formed heads will sprout from one bush
Planting garlic with a pipe
Experienced gardeners are looking for options to facilitate annual labor. So, one of the ways of landing is a metal pipe. Its diameter must be several times larger than the size of the planting material. A fixture is inserted into the loosened soft earth, the earth is retained in the pipe. The result is a hole in which the required amount of nutrients is poured. There is also a head or clove of garlic. After the action has taken place, the onion is filled up with previously seized soil. This method can be used for planting onions, as well as any bulbous flowers and plants.
Today, in specialized stores you can find a finished metal device in the form of a pipe.
On the outside can be placed notches indicating in centimeters the depth to which the landing should be carried out.
Planting garlic from the air bulb
Winter varieties of garlic produce characteristic arrows, which form the air bulb. They can also be used for planting next season.
This method seems inconvenient and too long, but it allows you to save on the source material
For seed, these stems are not cut, and give them the opportunity to fully form. After the inflorescence begins to crack, it must be cut at a distance of 30–35 cm from the bag of seeds. Next, air cloves are dried and produce the same steps as in the case of the traditional landing. The winter crops planted in this way for the next spring form a single-teeth, which are sown again after a year. Only in the third year of plant life can you get a full head of garlic.
Single teeth are a completely new, young garlic. When a gardener from year to year plant only the teeth of the previous harvest, his crop is actually not at all young, but produced from old perennial materials, he has fewer useful substances and may have chronic diseases. In the case of sowing air seeds such problems will not arise.
For convenience, such bulbs are not disassembled into components, but placed in whole buds to a depth of 3-5 centimeters. The wells are placed at a distance of 15 cm from each other. Grown bunches of green garlic will not get lost in the garden, it is easier to care for them. Next summer, digging single-tongues of the first year is not necessary. They will independently ascend in the future season.
In the second year of their life, they will need to be taken out, and then dried and planted again for the third year to receive full-fledged young garlic. The product grown in such a way and its descendants for the next five years are guaranteed not to suffer from any diseases inherent in such plants.
Planting garlic in two tiers
In order to save space, garlic is often planted in two tiers. In this case, both plants do not hinder the development of each other. Each of them will be provided with sufficient nutrients. The lower tier is located at a depth of about 20 cm. The well is pre-enriched with fertilizers.
The next seed is placed above the first one at a distance of 5–10 cm, that is, it will be located at a depth of 10–15 cm. In the process of growth, the heads do not interfere with each other, their outer part will grow in one bush. The result will be pleasantly surprised. Harvest from both tiers has the same size with a full range of nutrients and the same taste characteristics.
Video: Bunk landing
This article examined the types of garlic and methods of their cultivation. Winter varieties are planted before winter frosts, spring - immediately after them. The appearance of the plants can be easily distinguished. Winter bulbs have large even teeth, but they are stored for long. Spring are divided into smaller components, while you can use them all winter, without fear that they may disappear. Most often, gardeners planted both types of Amaryllis - because each of them has its undeniable advantages. Growing garlic is not at all difficult. It is enough to follow the simple rules described above. In this case, your harvest will be the pride of the season and will delight your family all year round.
Bed and soil on it
It is better to prepare the bed from the autumn, bringing in it rotted manure or compost at the rate of 1 bucket per 2 square meters. meter of soil. The bed should be protected from the north winds. If flooding of a garden with a bed for garlic is expected in spring, it should be poured higher.
- The soil for garlic is needed slightly loamy, chernozem or medium loamy. If the acidity of the earth is less than five, it should be lime. If the top layer of soil is lumpy, rub the lumps in your palms, cultivate the top layer, and mulch with sifted peat or chopped straw.
- The soil for planting and cultivation should be moderately wet, but watering, especially in the first weeks of the growing season, is mandatory. Better often and little by little.
- After the appearance of the first leaves, garlic is fed with nitrogen fertilizers. And it is better not mineral, but organic: a solution of mullein 1 to 10 or bird droppings 1 to 15.
- The appearance of the sixth leaf on the germ means the beginning of the formation of the bulb. From this point on, the frequency of watering volume needs to be reduced and the plants should be fed with complex potash-phosphate fertilizer. Fertilizing produce them with an aqueous solution, after half an hour after watering.
- From the middle of August (in the southern regions - a little earlier), watering is stopped completely!
- To plant all the forces thrown on the formation of bulbs, for this is the old folk method: all the leaves of garlic are collected in a bundle and tied together with a thread or a piece of braid.
If we compare the yield of spring and winter garlic, the palm will hold the winter with its powerful bulbs, large cloves, speed of aging.
But spring garlic has one main and indisputable advantage - shelf life.
Because if winter is stored at most until January, and then begins to turn yellow, dry out, become covered with specks of rot, which grows more and more - then small, unsightly spring garlic without any damage to itself and without special demands on storage conditions can preserve juiciness and commodity view up to 9-10 months.
Is it possible to sow winter garlic in spring?
If a spring stock of winter garlic remains in the spring, and the planting time of this crop comes up, winter teeth should be prepared for planting just like spring, only a little earlier - winter garlic, planted in spring, should give more branched and powerful roots.
To do this, sort out the teeth, separating the damaged from the whole, calibrate, but do not perform all the same pre-planting procedures as with the spring. Do otherwise.
Winter garlic, planted in time, passes the "cold" cycle of development in the ground, under the cover of snow. And thus receives a kind of hardening. Therefore, such hardening of winter garlic that has been stored at home all winter should be imitated. To organize him a cold stratification.
To do this, the teeth are wrapped with cloth and polyethylene and placed in the lower compartment of the refrigerator or in a box, under a layer of sand, on the porch a month before the intended landing. And not in two weeks, as a spring variety. Then planted simultaneously with the spring or a little earlier, for a day or two.
In July, when arrows are formed with seeds, they need to be removed from winter, leaving only 2-3 pieces to control maturity: when the shells of seed pods burst, garlic can be dug out.
So, using the correct pre-sowing preparation technique, you can grow a good harvest of winter garlic, sowing it with spring.