It is important to understand the difference between babe, peduncle and roots. At the initial stage, these parts are similar to each other.
Peduncle - the main part, this is what later beautiful flowers appear on. Peduncle comes from the center, always oriented upwards (unlike the roots) and has a sharp tip.
The root grows from any site on the basis, as a rule, is oriented downwards (but not necessarily). Its tip is always rounded. Be careful - in some cases, basal baby successfully disguised as a peduncle or root, but a little bit is not similar to one or the other.
Babe called a miniature plant that dissolved the leaves and roots.
In theory, an orchid can reproduce not only with children, but also with seeds. The latter type is used by breeders. In domestic circumstances, it is safer and easier to apply new mini orchids - kids. They may increase:
- in the leaf axils,
- from sleeping buds on the peduncle.
It is important to keep in mind that it is possible to propagate entirely healthy orchids with leaflets at least 4. Including when your orchid gave the baby, make sure that it is not sick, and does not try to extend its genus from the last forces.
When do babies appear?
In order for a baby to form on a houseplant with a still dormant bud located on the peduncle, it is necessary not to remove the entire peduncle after the blooming is completed. It is simply shortened, and above the kidney it is necessary to leave a distance of at least 2 cm.
In addition, the development of children contributes to the presence of a sufficient amount of lighting after the flowering stage of the plant is completed. Directly due to the light, dormant buds awaken. But besides lighting, it is necessary to maintain a sufficiently high thermal regime after ottsvetaniya.
In the presence of relatively high temperature signs in domestic circumstances on the plant from the sleeping buds are formed not ordinary peduncles, but the children themselves for reproduction. This is done under the following circumstances:
- the end of the blooming stage of a room orchid in domestic circumstances,
- a sufficient number of enhanced lighting,
- relatively high air temperatures.
Having provided rational conditions, one can quite rapidly achieve the appearance on the plant of shoots, which simply perform breeding of certain types of orchids in domestic circumstances.
In order to acquire quality material in the variant of shoots, which can be further separated and planted, it is necessary to arrange the care of the mother plant.
How to get a sprout
Planting baby orchids at home is not at all difficult. It is necessary to wait for the moment. After the orchid has given a sprout on the peduncle, it will not be difficult to transplant it into a separate bowl. Shoot can be located in the middle or at the base of the roots of the flower. When the growth points die off, stem kids start to form instead. On the trunk, new processes will begin to grow and develop after the death of an adult plant. In order to have young shoots You must follow certain rules:
- After phalaenopsis bloom ends, the spike should be cut by 2–3 cm. It should be shortened just above the upper bud.
- It is necessary to ensure the correct temperature regime: in the daytime - + 28 ... + 30 ° С, at night - up to +15 ° С.
- Illumination and room humidity should be good enough.
- For a flower, it is better to choose a small pot, which will freely pass water, as well as air.
- Watering sharply reduced by 2−3 weeks.
Compliance with these conditions, as well as a properly organized water regime will provide the plant with lateral processes.
It should be remembered that only healthy specimens can give new shoots. Some growers apply artificial stimulation for the development of cuttings. They use hormone cytokinin paste.
Before “waking up” the buds that are on the stems, they are cleaned of flakes, then this composition is applied with all the accuracy. It is better to stimulate the plant in spring during the period of awakening and growth. Orchids must form at least 3−4 roots of 5 cm in length. Only then can their reproduction begin.
Formation of Mature Babes
Phalaenopsis baby is natural clone of the mother plant and after transplantation will have the same signs as an adult orchid (color of flowers, their size, etc.).
It is a miniature, fully formed orchid: it has leaves, stem and roots, and sometimes, even on a mother plant, even produces a small flowering sprout.
The baby can bloom, being on the mother plant.
Sometimes from the sleeping buds, which are on the flowering arrow, the axils of the leaves or at the roots of the orchid, children form. Enough of them easy to use for phalaenopsis vegetative reproduction.
If such a baby appears as a lateral process on the stem of an orchid, it is called radical.
Very often vegetative processes are formed. on the flowering arrow. This method is most convenient for breeding orchids, he consists of several stages:
- activation of dormant buds located on the flowering arrow,
- phase of germination and development otvodka (kids),
- separation and transplantation of a shaped layer.
The most favorable period for the formation of children comes after a long flowering orchid.
But for them to appear, the plant also needs certain cultivation conditions:
- the orchid must be an adult, with a well-developed root system, have at least 4 large leaves,
- orchid bloom should be in the final phase,
- the optimum time of the year is spring or early summer,
- relatively high air temperature
- humidity of air at the level of 50-60%,
- sufficient light intensity in the room.
At low humidity, as well as in winter, when the illumination decreases significantly, children do not form in phalaenopsis.
In order for the children to form on the flowering shoots, after the end of the flowering phase, they do not cut it, but shorten it 1.5-2 cm above the upper dormant bud. it stimulates the awakening of the remaining dormant budsthat are on the peduncle.
Stimulation kids orchids.
Sometimes the processes are formed by themselves, but in some cases, even if the plant is in optimal conditions, stimulation of their forcing is necessary. This contributes to:
- daily temperature variation. It should be cool at night - up to + 17-18 ℃, in the daytime - up to + 27-30. These conditions in the spring-summer period are most favorable on the glazed balcony,
- poor watering of phalaenopsis should be combined with high relative humidity. In an apartment, this requires regular spraying and installation of the uterine plant on a stand with wet moss or pebbles,
- a large amount of intense diffused light.
Having provided the necessary cultivation parameters, it is sufficient to simply cause the appearance of vegetative cuttings at home.
On the peduncle or stalk phalaenopsis may develop from one to several small plants. First, they are formed leaves, and after a certain period of the roots.
If the roots are not formed for a long time, their development can be stimulated. To do this, prepare sphagnum moss, cling film and strong thread:
- moss for half an hour soaked in water until complete swelling,
- form a lump of moss and wrapped with a thread so as not to fall apart,
- the clump is carefully attached so as not to injure the plant, it is attached to the base of the peduncle with the help of a thread,
- at low humidity in the room, moss is additionally wrapped with cling film to create a greenhouse effect inside. The film must be opened daily for airing kids,
- as a plant with moss can tip over, it is better to attach it to a support,
- Moss should be sprayed daily with water, to which you can add the root growth root stimulator.
Once the baby has grown roots, it can be deposited in a separate pot. On the mother plant, cuttings develop, as a rule, within six months.
Several kids on peduncles.
In order not to injure much the adult plant when separating the formed children, it is necessary to prepare for work the tool and related materials:
- garden pruner, scissors or knife
- any disinfectant (for example, alcohol),
- a few tablets of crushed activated carbon or cinnamon,
- a small clear glass or pot for transplant
- soil mix for planting a small orchid.
As a pot you can use clear or frosted plastic tumblerin which pre-do drainage holes. The glass should be small enough to fit the roots.
Soil mix You can prepare it yourself from the following components, taken in equal proportions:
- pine bark, pre-boiled and cut into pieces about 1 cm,
- sphagnum moss,
Also ready quality soil mix available at a specialty store. The main thing is that the pieces of bark in it should also be no more than 1 cm.
The composition of the substrate for phalaenopsis.
After the orchid grows up, the pot should be replaced with a larger pot.
This babe should check root system. If the roots are formed, they are separated by shears at the junction of the child with the uterine phalaenopsis. Slice sprinkled with cinnamon or activated charcoal.
Radical babe orchids.
Sometimes otvodok orchids do not form roots. In this case it is better to wait until it forms the roots.
It is also possible to immediately separate and plant into the prepared substrate, creating the conditions necessary for the formation of roots.
In the greenhouse
Four-month lay without roots separated and planted in a substrate of small pine bark.
Plant needed put in a greenhouse and spray daily with water. This procedure can be alternated with spraying fertilizer solution.
Spend it only in the daytime, while water should not fall into the middle of the outlet. Care should be taken to avoid over-wetting of the substrate. is he must dry out for several hours.
For rooting babies, you can also use live moss, on which lay a separated orchid babe.
Rooting kids in a greenhouse.
In foam plastic
For rooting babes cut this way a small piece of foam and a hole in itIn which the base can fit kids. The plant is fixed and placed in a container filled with water.
Foundation of a small phalaenopsis should be above waterthat will create optimal moisture for the formation of the root system.
To further increase the humidity of the air in the volume, the container with water can be closed with polyethylene or plexiglass.
After the formation of roots small orchid planted in a substrate of pine bark.
At the basal babe no own roots. Its nutrition occurs through a common stem at the expense of maternal roots.
If such a baby formed on your plant, then you should never separate it. Just in a pot will now grow two orchids instead of one.
Often the basal babe is formed at the location of the phalaenopsis growth point. As a rule, this occurs in the case of its extinction. Such a baby will give rise to a new plant.
Phalaenopsis with basal babe.
After separation from the parent plant otvodka, it can be immediately planted in the substrate, but still better prepare for landing:
- for this, the layers are soaked for 15 minutes. in water in which the growth hormone is dissolved. This will ensure faster root growth,
- moistened roots are less injured when planted and easier to put in the pot.
Before planting, babies put a layer of drainage on the bottom of the pot (expanded clay, vermiculite, or ceramic shards), after which the plant is dipped into it:
- baby in a container have so that the lower leaves were above the surface of the soil,
- the substrate is poured in small portions with shaking and tapping the pot so that the soil is evenly distributed between the roots. Additionally, it is not necessary to compact the substrate,
- the first few days the plant should not be watered, so that the cuts are dried out.
Planted orchid is better to put on some time in penumbrathen you can rearrange to diffused light.
Watch the video on how to separate the baby orchid:
Video below about planting Phalaenopsis babies in the substrate:
The following video tells about planting babies without roots in the moss:
Video with tips on how to trigger phalaenopsis development:
When can I share and how to properly separate the baby?
It is better to separate the baby from the orchid when 2-4 roots have already formed. However, everything is individual here. Phalaenopsis, for example, may not have roots on a child at all. For this reason, when 4-5 leaves appear, the baby is pruned and rooted independently.
When separating the root kid, you must remove the outer layer of earth and look around the roots. When they are quite strong and longish, the baby can be cut.
But what to do when the roots did not arise? There are cases when the baby grows for a long time without roots. Therefore, it is necessary to wind the place where the branch is attached to the mother plant with moss and regularly moisten with water until roots appear.
Consider what you need in order to transplant the baby:
- cleaned soil, it is preferable to be fine,
- a pot of small diameter (about 8 cm)
- scissors and knife
- hydrogen peroxide,
- ground coal or cinnamon.
Almost all types of plants require a pot with huge drainage holes. Each flower requires a different drainage system and this must be taken into account in order to select the correct drainage.
So, for cacti, orchids and succulents, a rapid drainage system is needed. It can be formed in a small pot with a porous substrate and a huge number of drainage holes.
How to stimulate the formation of babies
To stimulate the occurrence of babies, from dormant buds residing on the peduncle, it is necessary to carefully remove the covering scales, trying not to damage the buds. Next, sleeping buds need to be smeared with a cytokinin-based hormonal drug in order for the plant to give “future generations”.
Or dormant buds visible on the peduncle are wrapped in wet sphagnum and tied with polyethylene. Herb plant kept in a warm and moist atmosphere. When young shoots appear, polyethylene is removed, but the plant can be preserved until the roots appear.
Pasta with an important entry of cytokinin is easy to do at home.
For the preparation you need: ten milligrams of the drug kinetin or 6-benzaminopurine, which is dissolved in one milliliter of water and mixed with one gram of lanolin. The acquired composition is diligently stirred to create a homogeneous paste of snow-white tone.
One treatment of the buds on the peduncles of the plant at +22 degrees can ensure the emergence of the lateral branch of the peduncle. In order to eliminate this and cause the formation of vegetative processes, it is necessary to place the treated plant in an insulator with an air temperature not lower than +28 C.
After 3-5 days, the treatment of the kidneys can be done again. But, including under the influence of 6-BAP, children on peduncles do not appear all the time. Often, instead of them formed lateral branch of the peduncle. Despite the obstacles and poor reproducibility of the results, almost all gardeners lovers continue to work in this direction.
After the orchid's baby has been separated from the maternal organism and the roots have been raised on it, it must be planted in a separate pot. Transfer the scion must be in a pot that meets the required conditions. An integral requirement is transparent walls.
It is important to understand how to plant an orchid wisely in order not to destroy a young plant through inept operations.
Landing kids performed in the appropriate way:
- on the bottom of the pot stack drainage (pebbles, pebbles). The drainage layer must be 1/3 of the total size of the selected container,
- the shoot is located in the center of the pot. At the same time, its root neck must be placed on the same level with the edge of the container used,
- Then carefully distribute the roots. They are arranged equally in the pot,
- allowed, including their location in the plane of the tank,
- then in time we fall asleep in a pot.
In order for it to be placed equally on the pot, you can knock a little bit on the walls. It must be borne in mind that the planted process should not be irrigated. The first watering is allowed only after 2–3 days. In the course of this period, the cut caused by will have time to drag on, and the threat of infection will be the least.
Soil for planting
You can use both moss and pine bark. Первый понадобится орошать каждый день, что не совершенно комфортно и подойдет только для тех посадок, которые будут находиться в обстоятельствах высокой влаги. Больше всего предпочтение отдается заключительному виду, который дает возможность приобрести наиболее влагоемкую почву.
The main thing is to take pieces of at least one centimeter, and not dust. You can buy bark in a special shop for gardeners.
To air roots, which differ in high sensitivity to irrigation and fertilizer, were protected, it is preferable to use two materials. The soil is made from pine bark, and sphagnum is put on top.
Such a soil mixture makes it possible to reduce orchid care conditions. A gardener can irrigate a branch, including hard water.
In order for the plant to grow and form normally, the main thing is not to allow miscalculations in the care from the first day. After transplantation, the plant must pass the stage of habituation. Planted shoots of orchids are placed in an inaccessible place from the sun's rays, but a well-lit place.
Preferably, when the room will be no more than 21 degrees. Eastern and western windows are well suited.
The first irrigation should be carried out at 5-6 days after transplantation. Water the plant should be separated by water at room temperature. You can use boiled or water that has been filtered.
After watering the roots are made bright green color, if the moisture evaporates over time, they become a silvery shade. Fans grow orchids are guided by the color of the roots before watering.
The first feeding is done 30 days after the plant has been transplanted. To do this, you can apply fertilizer intended for orchids in two times less concentration than for adult plants. Subsequently, the baby is fed once for 14 days.
When you water the plant with separated water, after a certain period of time, salts will accumulate in the pot. Under the circumstance that the moisture in your region is tough, spill the earth every month by placing the pot under running water. This procedure must be performed for only 25 minutes to clean the plant.
Read more about this process here:
This type of orchid belongs to the monopodial type. It always grows exclusively upwards. When phalaenopsis is young, each subsequent sheet is larger than the previous one. But when an orchid becomes an adult, all its leafy plates become the same size. With that, the more light, the longer the sheets will be, the less light, the shorter the leaves.
What is the young process and what does it look like?
A baby is a young process of a plant. And it looks like a reduced copy of an ordinary adult orchid.
Where can a baby be formed? Most often, it begins to grow on a flower stalk that recently dropped faded flowers. But sometimes you can see the baby on the phalaenopsis stalk and on its root part.
The photos below will help you figure out how to distinguish a phalaenopsis baby that grows from the stem, from the peduncle and from the root zone.
Reasons for education
The baby can appear by itself after the plant has dropped the last buds, under the condition that the room will be high humidity and high temperature. But you can also force phalaenopsis to release a process. For this you need:
- After flowering, shorten the peduncle by 2-3 centimeters.
- Do not forget about the obligatory differential temperature (keep it within five degrees).
- Maintain high levels of humidity and heat in the room.
- Choose a pot that will be slightly larger than the volume of the entire root system and which will easily ventilate the soil.
- Limit watering for 15-20 days.
Another way to stimulate the appearance of children can be called the use of hormone cytokinin paste. It should be applied to the kidney, which is pre-cleaned of scales. This procedure will wake the sleeping buds of phalaenopsis and will soon give growth to babies. But do it better in early March.
In what cases is not recommended postponing?
The processes that appeared on the peduncle and the root can be separated, but this can be done only when you see the first 2-3 roots five centimeters long. But this should be done with extreme caution, so as not to damage the maternal parts of the plant.
But the children, formed on the stem, experienced growers are not advised to cut. They do not have their own root system, and with improper manipulations with processes increase the chances of harming the mother plant.
Preparation: tools, soil, pot
No special devices in order to transplant a process from an adult plant are needed. First, you need to take a sharply-cutted knife (it doesn't matter if it is a kitchen or stationery device) and treat it with alcohol so that everything is sterile and clean. You can replace the knife with a sharp, preferably manicure, scissors. And take care of the availability of processing materials: cinnamon or crushed coal.
The pot should be very small with holes not only at the bottom, but preferably on the side surfaces of the container. Do not forget that the pot should be transparent. Be sure to put a drainage layer on the bottom of the pot. The next layer will be moisturized (this is mandatory) bark.
Propagation by side layers
Orchid babies are young shoots of a plant that periodically appear on the stem and roots, but more often on the peduncle. They have their miniature stalk, buds and leaflets emerging.
The role of children in the life of an orchid is difficult to overestimate, since this is their continuation. To propagate a plant with side layers is quite simple - this is the fastest way.
Where do the buds appear?
Children can appear on different parts of the plant:
- On the peduncleafter the plant fades, a young sprout appears. It is worth noting that not one baby can appear, but several, and they can be located anywhere in the peduncle, either in the middle or at the very end. But usually only one process appears.
Do not rush to remove the peduncle, create the correct temperature and proper humidity, so that the orchid shoots, which can later be planted. At first, the processes are very small, but over time small compaction will appear from the sides - the roots will begin to form.
The baby may appear on the stem if the growing point starts to freeze. After the mother plant dies, the baby will continue to grow.
Consequences for the parent
Some beginner growers do not plant babies from the mother plant, especially if the shoots formed near their roots, mistakenly believing that the plant would be more bushy and beautiful. But this is wrong, since the mother plant spends a lot of energy on the development of the process, and if the baby is not removed in time, it can simply die.
Therefore, there are two main questions:
- When do you need to separate the baby from the plant?
- How to do it right?
When to shoot a bone?
If children have an orchid, then the question arises, when should they be seated? There are several basic signs of readiness:
- Regrown roots.
While they are not there, the process should not be touched. The roots must be healthy, strong, at least 5 cm long. It is worth remembering that the more roots the baby has, the greater the likelihood that the transplant will be successful and the young plant will survive. It is not necessary to separate the process, if it is less than three roots. The right amount of real leaves.
At least 5 leaves should grow on a young orchid, only this way the chances of survival will be high after separation from the mother plant. Do not forget that good leaves - is the power of the plant from the sunlight and breath. Baby spent on the mother plant for at least 8 months, but it is better if exactly one year passes after its appearance.
Do not rush to separate the baby from the mother, let her gain strength for further growth, being on the mother plant. Building up the root system is a tedious and long process. Preparation of objects for transplantation (tools, soil, pot).
So, the baby is ready for transplantation, now it's time to prepare everything necessary for this fascinating process:
- special substrate of pieces of bark with a length of 1 cm,
- sphagnum moss,
- a small plastic pot - with a diameter of 7 to 10 cm (it should be transparent),
- pruner, scissors or sharp knife,
- activated carbon or cinnamon.
For self-preparation of the soil you need to mix the pine bark of the fines fraction and the sphagnum moss, you can add a little charcoal. Substrate must be well hydrated but not wet..
How to correctly separate the escape?
This can be done in several steps:
- Sterilize the instrument.
- Carefully cut the baby off the mother plant. If it grows on the peduncle, it is worth making oblique cuts on both sides of the process, so that the rest of the peduncle is 1-2 cm. both on the mother plant and on the baby.
- The cut should be treated with cinnamon or crushed activated charcoal. This must be done, otherwise pathogenic bacteria and infections can get into the wounds.
To finally figure out how to separate the orchid escape, watch the video:
With root system
If the baby is already with roots, then transplanting a small plant will be easy enough.
The action algorithm is as follows.:
- Take a plastic container with holes.
- Lay a drainage layer on the bottom, then a substrate mixed with moss. Moisten the mixture. But before that, it is worth shedding a pink solution of potassium permanganate or calcining it in the oven for decontamination.
- Put the baby in the cup very carefully, so that the point of growth is at the level of the edges.
- Dissipate the substrate, this process should be done with extreme caution, as the roots of the young plant are very delicate.
- The roots should be covered with the mixture completely.
- Watering after transplanting should not be, because in the open wound can get an infection.
- Cover the plant with a transparent plastic bag - it will be a mini greenhouse for better rooting.
If growing on peduncle
If the orchid has sprung on the peduncle, then the procedure is as follows.:
- Sterile pruners cut the baby off the peduncle.
- At the base of the outlet we find a scale, which should be removed, since it does not allow the roots to develop.
- Now you can begin to grow the roots in the air, as it is impossible to place the plant in the substrate without roots.
- Under the pot equip a plastic cup with holes.
- Lay on the bottom of the drain, put the moss on top.
- Make two holes at the top for the support.
- Place the baby so that it hangs in the air, without touching the moss.
- Cover the structure with a young orchid cut plastic bottle or plastic bag - to create greenhouse conditions. The microclimate in the greenhouse should be close to tropical.
The following problems may occur during transplantation:
This not only can lead to disease, but also to the death of the plant, so the pruner or knife must be sterile. Decay.
Before you put the baby, you need to let it lie on the air for 30 minutes, then process the cuts with ground cinnamon or wood ash. If the process is cut too early, it will die.. If there are several babies on an orchid, then it is strictly forbidden to cut everything at once, the mother plant will simply die from the injuries.
Care for them
It is important to create favorable conditions for the new flower and to know how to care for after a sprout transplant:
- watering is moderate, but once in two days and only with warm water,
- to air plants, raising the bottle several times a day for 20-30 minutes,
- The first feeding is carried out not earlier than 21 days after transplantation.
We find kids for transplant
Reproduction by children begins with the correct approach to the whole process.
Baby orchid grows on the spike after the flowering period. If you look at the stalk, then you can see small tubercles covered with scales on it. These are sleeping buds. It is from them that the orchid babe begins to grow, but not always. It can also grow out of the leaf bosom. Although in fact it is the root processes, which are a new round of flower development.
If, after an orchid blooms, the peduncle remains green and viable, then it is likely that a new appendix will emerge from the sleeping buds. If the spike begins to dry, then the new stem will begin its growth from the root.
Baby looks like an independent plant in miniature. At first a small stalk appears, then several leaves form on it, a little later its roots appear.
Important! Over time, these leaves can dry, but do not worry. They give nutrients to young roots.
During the flowering period, the rules of care are somewhat different from ordinary ones, and when it ends, changes are needed again. To orchid gave baby follow the following rules of care:
After the color and discharge of flowers and buds, standard watering of the flower is resumed, which implies moistening the substrate once every 7–10 days. The need for manipulation can be determined visually. If there is condensation on the walls of the pot, it is still early. If it is completely dry, then it's time. You can define it by touch. When the ground is almost dry, it's time to water. Water is chosen warm and not hard.
To awaken the children on the peduncle, the “bathing” method under a warm shower is well suited. Increased water temperature improves the metabolic processes in the flower, which contributes to the growth of children. After such a watering, it is necessary to thoroughly wipe the leaves' bosoms to avoid rotting.
Temperature and lighting
It is very important to ensure daily temperature differences. At night, no lower than +18 ° C, no more than +28 ° C during the day. Constantly high or constantly low temperature causes stress, disease and a variety of parasites in the plant.
Lighting. Light day at home pets should be at least 12 hours, better - 14.
After the flowering period, a cut of the top of the peduncle is performed. The place of the cut is very easy to determine, it is a few centimeters above the still not awakened kidney. The cut must be rubbed with coal. The instrument must be sterilized. So that the awakening of the buds took place and the children developed well and quickly enough, they fertilize the orchid.
In order to have a baby, you can use cytokinin paste. It is a phytohormonal agent that is applied to a small scale in a scaly kidney. It stimulates the metabolic processes inside the kidney and accelerates its growth. If the plant is large and healthy, then you can apply the paste to several kidneys at once to get a few babies.
Also use the triad, that is, nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium fertilizers, which are combined with mineral fertilizers. Begin to make such dressing immediately after completion of flowering. This gives the orchid the strength to develop new babies.
Important! The baby is very sensitive, therefore it is necessary to avoid extremes in the care and fertilizer.
Rules of dealing with the escape
Before sowing the orchid from the stem, it must go a long way of development and strengthening.
In the case when changes occur with the kidney, it can be noticed with the naked eye. First, the tubercle on the orchid becomes large, then the stalk begins to develop from there. The roots do not grow immediately. Leaflets may appear first. A little later, when the stem is up to 7 centimeters in length, roots begin to form.
About how orchids are grown and grown at home, read in detail here.
While the baby is on the flower stalk, nothing needs to be done with it. Only carefully observe its development and measure the length of the roots. Usually the baby develops within six months.
Once the roots have reached a length of 5 centimeters, the shoot can be removed.
Branch young escape requires care, accuracy. Before you separate the baby from the orchid, prepare some materials. Soil for a new flower needs a new one. Before transplanting orchid babies in the substrate, all its components are well crushed and evenly mixed.
And they are as follows:
- Pine bark - 5 parts,
- Moss - 1 part,
- Charcoal - 1 part,
- Expanded clay and pumice stone - drainage.
- Charcoal - 1 part,
- Pine bark - 5 parts.
- Charcoal - 1 part,
- Moss - 2 parts,
- Pine bark and chips - 5 pieces.
Important! In order for the flower to develop fully, the new soil should have good drainage properties and provide air access.
Usually the separation is carried out as follows:
- Baby orchids from the mother plant is carefully separated. Some growers separate the baby itself from the peduncle, which is strictly forbidden to do, because it will die. It is necessary to separate the process together with part of the peduncle. 1−2 centimeters above the point of growth of the shoot and the same distance below.
- All sections in orchid babies and on the mother plant are treated with activated charcoal or a bactericidal preparation. Обрабатывать срезы нужно сразу же.
- Детку оставляют просушиваться на 30 минут.
Затем молодой побег укрепляется на грунте. Делать это нужно осторожно (читайте также как проводиться пересадка орхидеи).
Перед тем, как посадить отросток орхидеи, нужно знать:
When planting orchid babies, it is impossible to cover the ground before strengthening the flower, because young and tender roots can be damaged. Not always immediately choose a large capacity, because the kid does not need a large pot for full development.
First, the roots are introduced into the container and evenly distributed over the pot. Then the soil is carefully applied. Shoot growth point should be level with the top edge of the tank. In order to donkey soil, you can knock lightly on the tank walls.
Important! Watering is carried out a few days after planting the flower to avoid infections on the sections.
If the baby does not grow on the stem, but is a root process, then its separation is associated with some risks for the mother plant. It is necessary to separate the part very carefully so as not to damage the root system. Further care is the same as with other children.
Important! Transplanting baby orchids at home is easy if you follow the rules of care and transplantation.
Orchid babies can keep out the roots. In this case, it is proposed to wrap the peduncle with moss and wait until the orchid baby without roots begins to develop further.
Care after transplant babes
Caring for a baby after a transplant is very important. If the sprout is strong and completely healthy, then rapid growth and active development begins. If, during the separation, there were leaves on the escape, then during the period of active growth they may dry up, but you should not worry, because soon the baby will start up new ones.
If the orchid children were weak and do not develop, then greenhouse conditions will be organized for them. Greenhouse can be purchased at a specialized store, and you can do it yourself. It is constantly maintained high temperature and humidity.
Moisturize young plant should be moderate. In no case can not fill, because it can cause rotting of the root system. The roots of the kids with the right watering begin to actively grow and develop.
In the room where the pot with a flower is located, create a good outflow and inflow of fresh air.
Lighting is organized on the basis of the principle - direct sunlight is dangerous for children. Create a shading or ambient lighting. The morning sunlight and the setting sun do not harm the orchids.
After some time, you can put the baby orchid in another pot that will fit better in volume.
In this article, we talked about how to plant the baby from the orchid and what conditions are necessary for the cultivation of orchids at home.
Orchid reproduction by children: the choice of planting material
Usually an orchid of the Phalaenopsis species is grown on the windowsill. In an adult plant, babies form on the peduncle after flowering has ended. As a rule, at this time in the bosom on the stem a new shoot is formed with a bud or a daughter process. Baby is a miniature plant. Only the appearing process is not suitable for rooting. At first, the baby is in full care of the mother bush, then releases the roots, forms leaves.
A scion with at least five leaves and roots of about 5 cm is considered ready for jigging. On average, it takes six months, although often more or less. Sometimes growers try to accelerate the development of the roots, rubbing them with moss or sprinkling them with stimulants. However, practice shows that those orchid babies that grew in their natural environment take root.
Caring for the mother plant while growing shoots is no different from normal. Phalaenopsis can simultaneously form several processes, sometimes they also appear at the base of the root neck or in the leaf axil.
Council When planting babies it is important not to wait. Too long roots will be fragile and spoil when landing.
Preparation for jigging: what you need
To transplant an orchid sprout, you need to prepare a new container. It is better to use a plastic pot or glass no more than 7-10 cm in diameter. Also purchase a special orchid primer at the store. Qualitative soil consists of pieces of bark about 1 cm long. You can cook it yourself. Mix in equal parts centimeter pieces of pine bark, moss and charcoal.
Prepare tools and other materials for work:
- ground knife, pruner or scissors
- alcohol or other disinfectant,
- rubber gloves,
- potassium permanganate,
- carbon powder or cinnamon.
How to seed an orchid
The process of reproduction blooming culture requires attention and a sufficient amount of time. Stepwise Algorithm:
- Process the pot with alcohol. Fill with primer.
- Disinfect the earth by watering with a solution of potassium permanganate.
- Cut the bone from the mother plant with a clean knife or scissors. At the same time, grab a part of the peduncle or leaf sinus with the young plant, about 1-1.5 cm.
- Dry cut points, leaving at room temperature for half an hour.
- Treat it with activated carbon powder or cinnamon.
- Remove and put aside a third or a quarter of the substrate from the pot.
- Place the baby on the surface. The root neck should be at the level of the edge of the pot.
Council Do not tamp the soil with your hands: you risk damaging the rhizome. In order for the earth to lie evenly between the roots, it is enough to tap on the edge of the tank periodically.
Do not worry if, after all the manipulations, some parts of the roots will still be visible above the ground. In the case of an orchid, this does not affect its survival rate. Watering immediately after planting a young plant is not necessary. The first moisture he will need no earlier than the third day. The fact is that as long as the wounds in the sections have not healed completely, water can infect the flower with various infections and cause rot.
Seduce the baby orchids easy. It is important to keep clean and tidy. A new flower can be given or a mini-greenhouse made of orchids on your windowsill.
From the mother plant
Dry the plant before this procedure. Do not water it for at least two weeks.
This is done by and large in one motion, but the main thing is to carry out this manipulation with extreme caution so as not to harm the "mother."
- So, you already have a machined blade (knife, scissors). Carefully cut the baby from the lateral peduncle. Do not touch the main part of the peduncle in order to ensure further growth of phalaenopsis.
- Let the cut areas dry out.
- After this, treat the cut areas with cinnamon or crushed activated charcoal.
- Transplant the process in the finished mixture.
From cut flower
Unbelievable, but it is a fact. According to experienced growers, shoots can be grown even on a cut stalk. Most often this happens when the florist understands that the orchid will die soon, but you do not want to say goodbye to the flower. In such a situation, the peduncle is cut from a dying plant.
Flower sprout can even be divided into cuttings. But it should be done so that each of them has a bud.
For escape they organize home greenhouse and grow it there in the same conditions as for ordinary adult plants. And wait until there is a process.
After you see a couple of leaves and roots on your child, you can send her to “free swimming”. But in this case, it should be cut off along with a section of the peduncle and in the same composition should be planted in a moistened soil.
From the root zone
This process is considered the most difficult, since in this case there is a high probability of damaging the roots of an adult plant. Therefore, most experienced flower growers agree that it is not worth separating such a baby. But if you nevertheless decided on this step, then follow the same instructions that were given on separation from the peduncle.
A small orchid should be cared for just like an ordinary adult. Briefly describe all aspects of phalaenopsis care:
- Watering. Note that it is not necessary to water the process immediately (do not forget that they planted it in a moist bark). It is better to do this procedure for the first time on the second or third day after the transplantation, and then everything is as usual once every seven to ten days.
- Air temperature. It should be high at the beginning - not less than 22 degrees above zero. Adhere to the conditions for maintaining the difference in daily temperatures.
- Air humidity. It is desirable at first to raise its level to 70-100 percent. And in the future it will be possible to keep this figure at the level of 60-80 percent.
- Lighting. It should be constantly long and at a sufficient level. Adhere to the criterion of 10-12 hours per day.
- Top dressing. Begin to fertilize the young plant for the second week after transplantation. The rules are the same as for adult phalaenopsis.
When and how to root?
It may happen that the baby has long been formed, released a few sheet plates and even bloomed, but there are still no roots on it. In this case, we will independently grow roots for later planting:
- To begin with, we will cut off the shoot from the parent plant in the manner described above.
- Immediately put it in the ground can not, because there it simply will have nothing to eat. Put the baby in the greenhouse, which will create at home. To do this, take a plastic container (it can be a regular cup). It is necessary to make drainage holes.
- At the very bottom we place a small layer of expanded clay, and then wet moss.
- You can even in the upper part of the tank to make holes in which then stretch support for the process. Place on top of this support rosette flower.
Less common rooting in the moss. To do this, simply place the baby in it and cover with any container for the formation of the greenhouse effect. Caring for a plant in this state is minimal: spray moss once every ten days.
When will bloom?
How would you not want to quickly see the flowers of his young plant, do not rush to do it. Too early flowering can damage the plant. Outwardly, everything can go quite well. But the consequences will appear a little later: the orchid will weaken and begin to ache. This will happen because Phalaenopsis will give all the forces to the buds, and there will simply be no health left on the roots and leaves. After all, for the "child's body" is a huge burden.
Therefore, in no case stimulate the formation of buds on the orchid. This should happen by itself, and not earlier than in a year or two or two after transplantation. Remember: everything has its time.
Perhaps we told about all the stages of growth and development of the Phalaenopsis orchid kids. We hope this information will be useful for you and you will listen to our advice.