Surely, many have not only heard what a hedge is, but also have long dreamed of acquiring such a miracle of nature on their site.
And this is completely logical, since it is difficult to name the minuses of such an eco-intake, but it has a lot of advantages.
Useful tasks hedge
So, what is the fast-growing perennial hedge?
This is a special planting of certain shrubs or trees, made in the form of rows or any figures, and the crowns must be thick, closed very tightly, and the height is the same.
Such green fences are very functional and, apart from the decorative design, they perform a number of useful tasks:
- Given that the plants are planted very close to each other and their crowns intertwine tightly, such a fence serves as reliable protection from prying eyes. Thus, neither neighbors nor people passing by will see what is happening on your site.
- With the help of hedge can be produced zoning your land (suburban) plot.
- Having dropped the "living fence", you save plants in your area from strong winds.
- With such a landing in winter, the snow will be distributed evenlyand prevent strong drifts.
- A very important factor is that in the spring the snow will melt longer, respectively the earth will absorb more water.
- The hedge in the country - bird sanctuarythat build nests in such fences and destroy pests on the site.
Application at the dacha
Landscape design is a phrase that everyone knows today, especially for residents of private houses or suburban areas. That is why planning and zoning with the help of a hedge has become a whole science and entertaining occupation.
People, without resorting to the help of designers, do an excellent job of this task themselves and erect whole constructions of shrubs or trees: these can be plants neatly trimmed in the form of fences, and there can be various geometric shapes, and even animals.
Naturally, this kind of fencing is very effective, but in addition, they can disguise the outbuildings that do not have an attractive appearance.
Especially popular use in the design area of the fence. Almost all varieties of willow are suitable for their production.
Across the perimeter of the site, which is necessary to allocate, the stakes are driven at the same distance, and willow bushes along them.
In the photo is a fast-growing perennial willow hedge
Then you will only need to twist their cuttings between themselves and the original fence in ethnic style is ready.
Even the smallest guys cannot get through the thick wall of plants.
A fence from shrubs or trees can be prevented from drying out by winds and mechanical damage to plants, the only thing to remember and take into account when planting: the “hedge” roots spread widely around the plot, so some plant species will not be able to grow near it.
In order to beautifully decorate your plot, you will have to figure out exactly which fast-growing plants you would like to plant to create a hedge with your own hands - these can be bushes, coniferous and deciduous trees.
Shrubs - the main element of eco-factory
If your site is small, then it is extremely undesirable to use trees in the form of a hedge, otherwise you will have constant twilight in your house.
In this case, it is better for a hedge to use fast-growing shrubs, which are not only beautiful, prickly, but also, some of them, will yield.
Depending on the required height of the fence, use the following types of bushes:
- Low-growing shrubs for hedges - up to 50 cm you will suit the acacia bushes of yellow, barberry, St. John's wort, padolicolus magnolia, alpine currant.
- For hedge up to two meters, choose the artisanal form of mountain pine, lilac, cotoneaster, forsythia, rosehip, treskun.
- High "fences" you will have thanks to hawthorn, yew, dogwood, thuja.
Very often lavender is used at home plots: planting and caring for the plant and its reproduction, pest control and much more can be discussed here.
Most often used such bushes:
- Barberry - shrub, which is well cut, quickly grows, and besides, it will give a rich harvest of fragrant berries for jam and unique pilaf. Plant height ranges from 30 cm to 3 meters. Barberry is unpretentious to the soil, easily tolerates drought, but does not like overwetting.
- Japonica - shrub, varieties of which can reach a height of one to three meters. The plant tolerates frosty winters, drought. When planting seedlings, keep the distance between the bushes in the 0.5-1 meter. The shrub grows rather slowly, which reduces the number of haircuts, although it tolerates them beautifully.
- Spirea - the shrub is quite unpretentious, which is not afraid of neither frost nor polluted air, which means that even in a big city it will please its owners with fragrant flowers from spring to autumn. Spirea varieties are distinguished by the coloring of leaves and the shape of the bush: weeping, creeping, pyramidal, cascading, etc.
- Boxwood - one of the leaders among the shrubs for use in landscape design. Due to its high survival rate and gorgeous brilliant green, which is preserved all year round, the shrub is used by designers and amateurs very actively.
Trees are the best choice for large areas.
If you want to see a hedge on your plot, which at different times of the year will look different: pay attention to deciduous trees to create a “living fence”.
When choosing a plant, it is necessary to consider that those varieties that grow in your area will be the most suitable and least whimsical. "Foreign" relatives can cost fabulous money, but take root or not - the big question.
Fast growing deciduous trees for hedges:
Conifers - green joy all year round
For those who love consistency and evergreens, a hedge of conifers on the site will be ideal.
- The most preferred conifers are thuja western - it is the least whimsical, and the weather conditions of our climate are very acceptable for it. It is very important that this plant requires minimal care: they cut it extremely rarely.
- Common Spruce and the barbed is planted in the form of a hedge, both free-growing and for shaping and cutting.
- Juniper reaches a height of up to three meters, the needles are non-leafless, bluish in color. In order for the plant to take root, you need seedlings that are five years old.
Live conifer fence
In addition, after planting conifers must be left alone for at least two years, and after that it is already possible to trim.
In the video tips on how to make a living fence of conifers.
Proper fit is the key to success.
Landing rules for hedges:
- To start decide on height necessary fence, will there be cascades.
- On a clean sheet of paper make a plan: where and what you want to see on your site. If you doubt your abilities - ask for help from a specialist - designer.
- Take care of the soilin which you will plant the plants. Take into account that this fence will last for many years, so you need high-quality fertilizer, and for some types of shrubs and trees, and drainage from river pebbles, broken bricks.
- Before planting a plant, consult with a specialistexactly when it needs to be done for faster adaptation.
- Timing and soil preparation. Most of the landing is done in spring or autumn. Although it would be more appropriate to prepare the soil (dig, fertilize) in the fall, and plant it in the spring. So it will have time to take root until frost and it is already well to endure the harsh winter. After the winter, the prepared trench is again dug up, the seedlings are lowered to the level of the root collar and covered for several centimeters. Then you can fill the trench with soil, compact, and then pour it from the watering can at the root. You can also dig around the seedlings ditch and fill it with water.
- Plant spacing depends on the variety: it can vary from half a meter to two or three meters. Between rows, the distance should be up to four meters.
- Young plants, especially in the first year, need constant and quality care: watering, fertilizing and sheltering the ground around the seedling for the winter with dry leaves.
- For faster growth, on the seedlings before planting, you can cut the top branches. This does not apply to conifers!
Timely pruning of plants and watering - this is the main care for the "live fence".
With regard to the introduction of fertilizer and fertilizer - this is done individually for each plant species, therefore, the graphs need to be individualized.
The first two years to trim a hedge is necessary very often in order to form the correct shape. Please note that the base of the plant should be wider after cutting, than the top, so that the sun's rays fall on all branches.
Then you will have to perform the procedure less frequently: once - in the early spring, before flowering, and the second - in the middle of June. If you are not going to pay so much attention, then, without fail, do it once a year - in the middle of August.
First of all, it is necessary to remove dead wolf branches on the plant. And in order to rejuvenate your hedge, it is necessary to cut it right down to the old bitches. To crown was lush and thick, process well and young shoots.
Watering - the foundation
Watering a hedge is a simple matter and it must be produced in the morning or evening so that the water is well absorbed by the soil and does not evaporate.
If the soil conducts moisture too quickly, you should also be careful with watering, and even better, lay a drainage layer and a layer of clay during planting in a trench.
Thus, deciding to arrange your site with a hedge, you will get rid of many problems: noise, dust, snow drifts, curious neighbors.
You will create reliable protection for your crop, domestic animals, outbuildings, and choosing and caring for plants will bring you pleasure and improve your health.
Perennial evergreen fast-growing hedge: how to choose a suitable option
The perennial evergreen fast-growing hedge is often used in landscape design. It can play the role of a separator inside the parcel, be framed by tracks or surround various objects, as well as complement the architectural complex of buildings. And also to act directly framing the entire suburban area or a private house.
Working with live plants provides ample opportunities for creativity. You can choose a compact, dense high or low fence. And choosing the option with prickles, in addition to beauty, get a natural protection from foreign penetration.
Tip! The height of the hedge is different, but the width is usually not more than 80 cm. This point should be taken into account when choosing such an element of decor.
There are a number of requirements that are put forward to plants used as a living fence:
- With a large length of hedge is to choose plants unpretentious. If you choose a shrub that requires careful care, then, processing hundreds of bushes, any desire to take care of such decor will disappear.
- In the middle band, pay attention only to cold-resistant plants. Otherwise, you will have to plant new plants every spring, which is expensive and inconvenient.
As well as choosing a living fence, pay attention to the following factors:
- how fast the shrub grows and develops
- are there fruits and flowers
- is it possible to cut and shape bushes,
- how long the decorative season lasts
- no strong sprawl.
There is a special type of plant - climbing or looping. For them you will need to make a fence or install a trellis. This type of landscaping is located around the perimeter of the site, forming cascades of greenery.
A hedge in the country with their own hands: what plants fit
Based on the parameters of choice, gardeners or owners of private buildings can pick up a hedge from a wide range of plants. Among the suitable there are deciduous with beautiful buds, conifers with lush paws and curly, creating a unique silhouette.
Bright, blooming wall
You can independently grow the following types of shrubs:
- lavsona cypress cypress;
- leyund's cupressocaparis,
- laurel cherry
- Thuja Brabant.
All these plants are able to create a dense crown to close your site from prying eyes or to make a division into recreation areas of a large area. In more detail we will sort landing and leaving of each look that it was easier to make the choice.
Flower beds and flower beds with their own hands from scrap materials. Photos and other materials from this article will simplify making the right decisions. They will help to accurately implement the most daring ideas, eliminate errors and not exceed the established budget.
Photos and names of fast-growing plants for hedge
To begin with, let's look at what each of the listed plants looks like. After all, the appearance plays a huge role in the creation of landscape design.
- Barberry - plastic plant. From it you can form low curbs or high fences. Suitable for haircuts, so you can give the bush any shape.
- Periwinkle - evergreen curly shrub. Reaches in height of 1,5 m. Stems and leaves differ in endurance and long keep beautiful appearance. Flowers are large, blue or blue.
- Euonymus - has many varieties, including a curly version. Especially popular are Forchuna, Blondi or Sanspot, which have decorative foliage colors.
- Privet - fast-growing shrub. It blooms in early summer, but not for a long period. Suitable for the southern regions: does not tolerate frost. In height more than 2 m does not happen.
- Hawthorn - Shrub is often used as a hedge. In addition to the properties of protection, the plant has edible fruits, medicinal for the cardiovascular system.
- Spruce - coniferous tree, which is often used for decoration. It is unpretentious, easy to clean and resistant to any frost.
- Honeysuckle - has many varieties, is not demanding on the soil, and it is better to locate the plant in partial shade. Resistant to frost, which is important in central Russia.
- Willow - a tree with foliage falling down by a waterfall. As a living "fence" is used recently, but it has already become quite popular. Willow is resistant to frost and easily propagated by cuttings.
- Campsis - perennial bright vine. Unpretentious care, growing rapidly. Even a novice summer resident can create such an element of decor.
- Cotoneaster shiny - there are different types: deciduous or evergreen. They have brilliant foliage and small flowers. Resistant to frost and not whimsical to the landing site.
- Cypress lavsona columnaris - coniferous plant. In height reaches from 5 to 10 m, the diameter of the crown - 2 m. Shoots are vertical and taut. You can arrange the plants tightly to each other to create a thick and uniform hedge.
- Kupressciparis leylanda - coniferous plant, which should not be planted on clay soils. Suitable mixture of land with peat or sand in equal proportions. To form a hedge, plants are planted at a distance of 20 to 50 cm.
- Lavrovishnya - perennial shrub. He loves shade and is able to withstand temperatures up to 25 degrees. The fast-growing variety - medicinal laurel cherry, other options grow slowly. Plant at a distance of 50 to 70 cm.
- Holly - an evergreen plant, in height to 3 m. Loves a penumbra and nutritious soil. You can not plant in cold regions, and you can cut no more than once a year.
- Balsam fir - evergreen plant. Dislikes city life: exhaust fumes have a bad effect on growth and color. Suitable for the middle band and tolerates frost.
- Garden ivy - Climbing plant, which is planted next to the usual fence. It beautifully braids the design, making it unusual and green. In the care of unpretentious, but do not forget about safety and work with the plant in gloves.
- Boxwood - evergreen shrub with long leaves (3 cm). Well suited for landing in the middle lane, and the highest life expectancy reaches 500 years.
- Tuya Brabant - belongs to the cypress family. There is another name - "tree of life." The evergreen plant is drought tolerant and is characterized by endurance and high resistance to various diseases. You can cut twice a year.
- Tuya Smaragd - decorative variety of coniferous wood. It has a pyramidal shape, so the plants can not be cut at all. In height reaches 10 m, in width - 2 m.
There are other options for ornamental plants that are used to create a hedge. The above list is considered the most common for planting and easy to maintain. How to plant and cut shrubs and trees, consider below.
Requirements for fast-growing shrubs and hedges
Perennial shrub plants selected for bordering the site can be deciduous and evergreen, tall and very small, decorative and deciduous, flowering and even fruit.
At the same time, a hedge based on them not only plays the role of a “green border”, it:
- helps to divide the space inside into functional zones,
- cleans the air, and when choosing flowering shrubs is a honey plant and a serious bait for pollinating insects,
- changing appearance during the year, decorates the area,
- keeps loose soils on the slopes of ravines, prevents soil erosion,
- protects garden and garden plantations from cold air of direct sunshine.
By the fast-growing shrubs for hedges are several important requirements. Such plants should not only be distinguished by the rate of formation of shoots, but also:
- unpretentious, that is, do without painstaking care,
- frost resistance, especially in regions with severe winters and danger of spring return colds,
- ability to form a uniformly dense green wall,
- good tolerance to regular formative pruning.
Planting care will be much easier if fast-growing bushes for a hedge do not grow over time, leaving the plots assigned to them.
True, to find such a culture is not always possible. Therefore, gardeners use uncomplicated agrotechnical techniques that help to contain the indomitable desire of shrubs to take as much space as possible. It is easiest to restrict planting trenches at the time of planting to the depth of the root system by digging up sheets of slate.
Which shrubs for hedges grow quickly and best meet the above requirements?
Types of fast-growing shrubs for hedges
Evergreen rocks are often used to create hedges lately. Such planting retains the brightness of the color regardless of the season. Junipers and Tui are easy to mow and perfectly hold the desired shape. However, conifers have one drawback - in most cases they grow slowly.
In deciduous crops, the growth rate is significantly higher than that in conifers, and the high decorative effect from spring to autumn compensates for the lack of foliage in winter.
What types of shrubs suitable for perennial fast-growing, hedge? A small selection of well-known plants with photos will help to make the right choice.
One of the first places in popularity among such breeds is deservedly occupied by the barberry. Plants with densely covered dense foliage shoots excellently tolerate both a haircut and Russian winters. They can be recommended as fast-growing plants for hedges for the Moscow region, other areas of the middle belt and even north.
Due to the leaves and fruits that have remained on the branches for a long time, the hedge, changing appearance, remains attractive throughout the year. And the presence of thorns on thick branches adds to her reliability. At the disposal of summer residents today there are enough orts not only with traditional green foliage, but also purple-purple, golden. From the variety to the variety, the maximum possible height of the plants, and hence the hedge, is also seriously changing.
For medium-sized fences, strict or free-form fences are often chosen. The leaves of the plant in shape resemble viburnum foliage, the lush flowering in the first half of summer is no less impressive than that of viburnum or spirea. In addition, the average increase in this winter-hardy and completely picky bush for the year leaves about 40 cm.
With regular haircuts, the perennial hedge from the fast-growing shrub is not so densely covered with flowers, but it gains extra density and solidity. If the bubble is not cut off, the width and height of the crown can reach 4 meters.
For small decorative fences and borders there is no better shrub than snowberry. A plant-based hedge grows to 80–120 cm, and although it does not have sufficient density, it is interesting at any time of the year.
From the end of the vein to the middle of summer, white or pink flowers appear between the oval, bluish-green leaves. Then in their place appear unusual fruits, similar to lumps of snow. They are stored on the shrub even in winter.
Incredibly popular with hawthorn landscape designers. The photo of a fast-growing shrub for hedges shows that the plant not only meets all the requirements for such crops, it retains its decorativeness from spring to late autumn.
By choosing one of the tall hawthorn species, you can surround the house and the garden with a dense green wall, which in the spring actively attracts the bees, and by the end of the summer pleases with ripening fruits with brushes.
On the branches of many varieties of hawthorn there are peculiar lignified outgrowths that look like long thorns. They will help make the fence not only high and attractive, but also impregnable.
Amazing in all respects high fast-growing bush for hedge is good for fences in height from 120 to 180 cm.
Because of the wide crown of the plant needs a regular and fairly frequent cutting. But grown hedge in the winter, due to the bright reddish shade of shoots, will be an excellent guide.
In spring, on a shrub with variegated foliage in silver-green, pink-green or yellow-green gamma blooms, and by the autumn white spherical fruits appear in place of white brushes.
Caragana or yellow acacia
This ornamental plant exclusively winter-hardy, unpretentious and easily dispenses with regular watering.
Yellow acacia can be used as a tree or a fast-growing shrub for hedges. Landing in this case is dense, plastic, decorative. In height such a fence can reach 4 meters. the plant keeps its shape well and does not strive to form a lot of shoots. The garden will be useful as a great melliferous.
Park and polyantovaya rose
Incredibly beautiful, magnificent and stylishly hedges from bushes of park and polyanthus roses look stylish.
Plants by their very appearance create the atmosphere of a Victorian garden, while such fences do not set a strict shape, but only maintain the decorativeness of the shrub. However, we must remember that all roses strive to give shoots that are carefully cut.
Luxurious free-style hedge is obtained from various types of spirea, which responds well to the hair cut of the Pincer-tree, as well as traditionally grown on the dachas of lilacs. All these cultures bloom beautifully and endure the winter without loss.
Blackthorn and other prickly fast-growing shrubs for hedges
It is not surprising that spiked crops are often chosen for green garden fencing. Barbed perennial hedge from fast-growing species, even with insufficient density and in the absence of foliage, becomes an insurmountable obstacle not only for people, but also for street animals and livestock. With such a fence for the site you can be calm!
One of the most thorny shrubs used in gardening is only slightly inferior to wild rose. This is a blackthorn or blackthorn with oval dark green foliage and rounded blue-gray tart drupes. In a couple of years, a frost-resistant, excellently transporting bush bush turns into a part of a dense homogeneous fence that can not only demarcate the territory, but also perfectly strengthen the slope of a ravine or a reservoir.
Not the smaller effect have fences from the bushes:
- sea buckthorn, well branched when pruned, unpretentious and abundantly giving root growth,
- Japanese quince, suitable for creating low decorative borders.
Aronia Aronia and Irga
To create high garden fences, in addition to protection, providing owners with tasty fruits, planted irgu and chokeberry. These plants can form a hedge up to 3 meters or higher.
They are winter-hardy, undemanding to the conditions of cultivation and delight the eye not only with festive white blooms, but also with tassels of edible fruits, as well as leaves that change color by autumn.
Types of plantings
Due to the rapid development of plants, it is not necessary to wait several years until the barrier reaches a height of one and a half meters. The living fence will be a suitable solution if we are talking about areas of complex configuration. It is much easier to shield such territory with shrubs than with lengthy, rigid building materials.
The most famous evergreen living fast-growing hedge of deciduous and coniferous plants. The more familiar shrubs and plants of the convolvulaceae family also find their use.
The choice of hedge is determined by the taste of the owner, financial capabilities, design of the land, construction of buildings.
Spruce looks very aristocratic as a living fence. For fencing using exclusively decorative varieties. When buying you need to take into account the location and illumination area. For dark coniferous plants, moderate illumination is better suited, blue and golden needles are sunny territories. Spruce rather undemanding plant.
Coniferous trees do not respond well to highly located groundwater and clay soil due to low air permeability at the roots. The recommended planting density of the roots is 30–55 cm. Plants should be planted in cool weather at the end of August and all of September. Remains of soil at the roots are not removed., and transferred to the well, so as not to damage the root system.
There are much more leafy plants, so shrubs and reeds are often used in live fences. Plantings quickly reach a height of one meter in the first year, and in the next season they will become two meters. Shrubs and wines require constant care:
- The growth rate of plants of different species is different, so it is necessary to form plantings.
- Vegetables and fruit trees in the area should not suffer from the growth of climbing, ornamental plants.
- Inside the bushes, arches can be formed to form an entrance.
- As an obstacle you can use not only ornamental plants, but also fruit-bearing ones.
If protection of the territory and plantings from vandals is required, thorny perennial plants with thorns will do. They form an additional protection area. When designing a fast-growing perennial hedge, it is necessary to take into account climatic conditions, groundwater, soil composition and landscape.
Some plants of different species easily carry a neighborhood with each other. They can form multi-level barriers and achieve good lighting without damage to the plantations.
If you need to grow a high fence, you need to pay attention to coniferous plants with a high density of branches, which will not feel discomfort during frequent planting:
- Arkorona - has large picturesque cones, dark green needles, a cone-shaped crown. The width of the plant reaches three meters, height - four meters.
- Inversa - resistant to frost, hanging brush, trunks must be tied up.
- Konika - frost-resistant, hard paws, with soft needles, crown cone-shaped, height up to two meters.
- Lawson - prefers moist soil, protected from the wind. In the summer, the tree must be well watered and spray the foliage.
- Balsamic or Arizona fir - fragrant, soft needles, the height reaches twenty-five meters, moisture-loving plant that does not need decorative pruning.
- Thuja Brabant - the plant is unpretentious, it grows quickly, its height reaches ten meters, its width is up to three meters. After planting, it is necessary to water weekly, in hot periods - twice a week.
- Leyland's kupresstsiparis - the height reaches twenty meters, for a year the tree adds up to one and a half meters, it tolerates shade well, watering is required only in drought.
To obtain a low fence, use dwarf species of fir trees:
- Ekhiniformis - crown resembles a ball.
- Little Jam - it is advisable to use a spherical haircut crown.
Deciduous plants for hedge:
- Boxwood is suitable for cutting any shape, planting density is 20 cm, in the year of planting the crown is not sheared, then it is necessary to dub every month, unpretentious.
- Laurel cherry - unpretentious to light, has large white inflorescences, does not bloom without watering, the distance between plantations when landing in a barrage is 60 cm, it is necessary to cut it once every six months.
- Barberry - allows you to create an impassable living barrage of prickly shrubs, you need to plant plants in one row in spring or autumn. The main trimming is carried out in the summer, in the spring - thinning, dry branches are cut, so that there is constant fruiting.
Perennial loachs will help reduce labor costs when caring for a hedge:
- Ivy is unpretentious, does not require frequent watering, it is necessary to do pruning in the autumn period and feed it regularly, cover it with fallen leaves for the winter.
- Euonymus - needs fertile soil and regular watering, but do not allow excess moisture. Its inflorescences are poisonous, so it is not recommended to grow, if the family has small children or animals.
- Periwinkle - a hardy, frost-resistant plant, inflorescences are large, bluish in color. It grows even on poor soils in drought, the height of one and a half meters.
- Cotoneaster is well suited for hot regions. When planting in the wells, it is recommended to add sand and large drainage. For cotoneaster, it is better to choose well-lit areas. Plant height reaches five meters, flowering period - March-April.
- Dwarf turn is an economical option that does not need constant care. During flowering, the turn spreads an unusually strong almond flavor.
- Loach will not protect the site, but will mask the area from the eyes of strangers.
- Annual flowering hedges can be formed from the weaving of nasturtium, kobey, decorative beans and sweet peas.
- Climbing roses look very nice, but it is undesirable to use them as external fencing. Roses do not tolerate moist soil with a water table above two meters. With the vertical tying method, there is no hedge effect, it is better to use horizontal trellis grids.
The owner of a country site can create a hedge without assistance. To do this, select the desired barrier density, take into account the composition of the soil, the depth of groundwater and the type of terrain.
Evergreen barberry: planting and care
Barberry - not just a beautiful evergreen, used to create an interesting landscape design, but also a healing shrub with edible fruits. Industry produces yellow paint from bark or wood, and a lot of citric and tartaric acid in berries. They make candy, jam and other sweets.
The unusual color of the leaves will be the perfect completion of the design of any site.
Types of hedges from living plants
There are three types of plant hedges - molded, unshaped and undersized.
Molded. The traditional form of hedge more than 1.5 m usually consists of plants of one variety with dense foliage and perfectly protects the plot from prying eyes.
This fence in the first season is cut to 2/3 of the height. In the second year, the tops are lightly clipped 4 times.
This is necessary to increase the density of the branches, creating the desired shape before the plant reaches a certain height.
Such plants are suitable for a molded hedge.:
- privet oval leaf,
- thuja folded,
- Norway holly,
- Lusitanian plum,
- cypress fast growing,
- laurel cherry
Unshaped. It is equipped, as a rule, to create an impenetrable living "wall" along the borders of the garden plot. Consists of plants, which leave their natural form. The fence is not pruned.
- барбарис узколистный,
- рододендрон понтийский,
- эскаллопия крупноцветковая,
- пироканта ярко-красная.
Низкорослая. По-другому ее называют – бордюр. Такая изгородь обрамляет бордюры и цветники. Все растительные культуры здесь регулярно постригают на уровне одного метра или ниже, придают живому ограждению определенную форму.
- box evergreen,
- rosemary officinalis,
- Magnolia is hollow,
- lavender spike,
- thuja is western,
- Santolina cypress,
- dwarf forms of jasmine,
- juniper colonic,
What is better to make a vegetable fence
Depending on the purpose for which the fence is being created, planting material is chosen, as well as the type and height of plants.
The right choice of plants for a green fence allows you to pay less attention to it later during care. It is necessary to take into account the climatic conditions, the size of plants, the timing of flowering, the texture of the leaves.
If cultures grow in the south that are distinguished by good decorativeness in landscape design (boxwood, yew, etc.), then in the middle lane they may die in the winter, even being sheltered.
Of unpretentious crops can be identified hawthorn, spirea, cotoneaster, lilac, privet, sea buckthorn, from which you can easily build a decorative fence. In addition, these plants are distinguished by unpretentiousness and high winter hardiness.
Among the tall plants can be distinguished maple, poplar, sloe, which form a spreading crown and look great in the living fence.
Many cottage owners choose plants to form a hedge based on their decorative effect. Beautiful appearance of garden culture should not be decisive. Many of them are not allowed to even bloom, cutting them and forming the borders of the fence.
Attention! Arranging a live fence, do not forget that the width of the overgrown fence will later be much more. To plant the plants is necessary taking into account the agrotechnology of each culture.
The advantage of planting shrubs is their rapid growth, and if you choose fruit trees, you can collect a good harvest of berries and fruits for the season.
A shrub fence is especially beautiful in the fall, when the leaves turn yellow and red.
Types of fast-growing shrubs:
Barberry. The prickly shrub is not only decorative, the barberry has edible purple-red fruits. The plant is well formed, drought-resistant, but does not like over-wetting the soil. It is used for zoning the site as part of a green fence, planted in tapeworms, rockeries. In landscape design most often used domed barberry of Thunberg. This barberry species has unusually beautiful yellowish, bright red and purple-brown leaves. For central Russia, this culture, like no other, is suitable for creating unshaped and trimmed living fences and borders.
Euonymus. It has a dense and beautiful, openwork crown. The leaves change their color from dark green to yellow, purple, orange, red during the summer. And even after abscission of leaves, Euonymus adorns the garden area with its bright fruits. The plant maintains its decorative effect even after the foliage has fallen. The bright fruits of euonymus adorn the cottage before the onset of severe frost.
Attention! Almost all forms of euonymus are poisonous!
Privet. Considered one of the best shrubs for green hedge. Easy to cut and retains its shape for a long time. Privet grows fast, resistant to drought, can develop on different soil composition. But the plant is not frost-resistant, suitable only for the southern regions. Planted rarely in the middle lane, as it needs shelter for the winter. Decorative forms of privet are good in both group and single plantings. It lends itself well to topiary and retains a certain silhouette for a long time
Cotoneaster. Unpretentious, shade-tolerant shrub with a lush crown and shiny, dark leaves. By the end of the summer a lot of fiery red and black fruits appear that can be eaten. In autumn, the leaves turn purple. For living fences, you can combine several types of cotoneaster, to give it any shape. It grows well in urban environments, easily adapting to gas and dust.
Lilac. This plant is appropriate in any planting, where not planted. Lilac bush is beautiful not only during flowering, the leaves are kept on it until late autumn and fall green. The hedge is better for making out of a lilac of different shades: white, pink, violet, lilac. Shrub can be combined with other cultures that bloom at other times. The combination of chubushnik and lilac, having different flowering periods, has already become a classic of landscape design.
Spirea. The plant is unpretentious, bravely endures adverse conditions - gas pollution, excessive heat, wind, shade. Planting a spiraea is one of the best design options for a low hedge.
There are many types of spirea with different flowering time, so you can pick up plants, taking into account their constant flowering from spring to the end of summer.
Culture is very decorative. Lush inflorescences of white and yellow flowers adorn the drooping branches.
Seedlings are located at a distance of at least 1 m. For better survival and growth of lateral shoots, the roots should be cut a little before planting.
Forsythia. The plant has gained popularity in landscape design for its exceptional decorative effect. Used to create dense, decorative hedges. In mixed plantings blooming forsythia looks very impressive against the background of dark conifers.
Scented Chubushnik. The luxurious flowering and pleasant aroma of the chubushnik allowed him to win immense popularity among the owners of summer cottages. This plant produces a beautiful, dense living fence. It is necessary to plant young growth at a distance of 2 m.
Rosehip. Shrub appropriately looks in the hedge, framing the territory of the country. Beautiful flowers of wild rose give decorativeness to the living fence, and thorns save from uninvited guests. An extremely unpretentious plant, with minimal care, will delight gardeners with its luxurious look, subtle aroma of flowers and healing fruits from which compotes and jam can be made. Rosehip is a champion in vitamin C content among all plant crops.
Attention! It is not recommended to plant wild rose, like any other shrubs with thorns, in the borders and internal hedges separating the garden.
Climbing plants for green fence
Creepers are used in the formation of a living frame over a fence made of a grid or plant fence with bald spots. Without support, these cultures will not be able to grow.
For such a living fence, climbing annuals and perennials are used, which have to be removed from the fence for the winter and sheltered.
Climbing plants for green fence:
- climbing roses,
- girlish grapes
- stalked hydrangea,
- Alpine Clematis,
When creating a green hedge, you can combine crops by height, flowering time. For the year to create it even from fast-growing breeds is impossible. The formation of a living fence to give will take at least 3-4 years.
For planting it is necessary to dig a trench about 1 m wide. Clean it from the roots of weeds and mark the landing sites with pegs. In the trench to make humus or peat.
Young plants are planted at a distance of 35–40 cm, large shrubs and trees at 65–75 cm. If it is necessary to grow a thick, dense fence, crops are planted in 2 rows, at a distance of 35 cm in a row and 45 cm between rows.
The roots gently straighten and fall asleep with the ground, trample tightly, and then watered.
After planting, it is necessary to tension the wire and tie seedlings to it. In the first season it is necessary to water young plants regularly.
The first time after planting, the fence requires careful maintenance - regular watering and pruning. Over time, the soil around the bushes compacted, so you should loosen it or dig it up (if the root system allows).
Specimens affected by pests and diseases are cut at the root and burned. This prevents the spread of disease to all plants in the hedge.
Most of the plants are pruned to a height of 15–20 m, this causes increased tillering.
Pruning is recommended in the fall, after the leaves have fallen, but you should not wait for the plants to be completely exposed.
If the leaves fall together due to the fact that to hold them by hand, this means that you need to make a haircut.
Multiply shrub can be in several ways:
- Cuttings They are cut and germinated in the greenhouse, you can just dig up with plastic wrap. As necessary, young shoots should be aired, after the appearance of the first leaves. The soil around the landing should be loosened.
- Seeds. Choose well-ripened berries. Then, separate the bone from the pulp and treat with a weak solution of potassium permanganate. Planted in the fall in the prepared soil before the start of frost. If you want to plant in the spring, then in the winter the seeds are placed in the soil mixed with sand, and leave in a cold place. After six months or a year, shoots will appear from the strongest seeds, which will be transplanted to a new place. The plant begins to fructify in 2-3 years after the shoot.
- Layering. You choose annual branches on a growing bush, make grooves near the trunk, when the soil dries, fix branches in them to a depth of 20 cm. Only the tip of the shoot is left on the surface.
- The division of the bush. Carefully dig up and cut the root of the shrub. Take care not to harm the roots.
The easiest way is to prikopat young branches. You will receive a dense fence, gradually planting plants in the right direction.
To the type of soil barberry unpretentious. It can grow in both normal and high acidity of the soil. If the acidity indicator in your area exceeds all norms, then before planting the plant, add a mixture of lime and earth to the pit. You need somewhere 400 g of slaked lime and 200 g of wood ash.
Add ash and lime
To get a hedge, bushes are planted at the rate of 2 plants per 1 running meter. The choice of the solar or shadow side is not critical, as the shrub easily adapts to different environmental conditions.
What should be considered?
If you plan to create something capital, not for one season, then you should take a responsible attitude to the choice of plants and the selection of varieties. For a hedge it is better to plant frost-resistant, drought-resistant and non-demanding fertility species. You should also consider the possibility of defeat diseases and pests. The less attention a planting will require to itself, the better. Frozen twigs, dried out specimens, chlorotic and corroded leaves - greatly reduce the decorative effect. To eliminate such problems will take time and a lot of skills.
However, even if the most unpretentious and adapted species and varieties are selected, for a quick result it will be necessary to ensure optimal growth conditions. Planting material for the fence is taken at the age of 2-3 years (with the exception of conifers, slowly growing in the first years of life). Older plants have a voluminous root system and are sensitive to transplants, and from annual seedlings, getting a full-fledged hedge will require more time. The most realistic period for which it is possible to form a green hedge, subject to the use of quality planting material - 2 years. And this applies only to fast-growing species that give a good increase.
For rapid growth, plants need a supply of nutrients in the soil and a sufficient amount of water, so they plant in fertilized soil and provide regular irrigation in the first years, especially during droughty periods. If the dacha is located in the vicinity of groundwater, then most plants will require good drainage in the form of a layer of rubble or broken brick at the bottom of the planting pit or trench.
In order to eliminate the risk of young saplings freezing, in the first 2-3 years it is necessary to carry out a shelter for the winter with a nonwoven material or a mulch layer of dry leaves, needles or lapnik. For the protection of fruit trees, it is undesirable to use mountain ash, as it has diseases and pests common with apple trees, and such plantations can turn into a hotbed.
Plants for fast and long lasting results.
To quickly create an eco-intake, you can use undersized (about 1 meter in height) and medium-growth (2-3 meters in height) bushes, evergreen branches, waving lianas and even trees. It should be understood that if you use conifers, then in any case such a quick result as with shrubs will not be.
Nevertheless, experts recommend for the evergreen hedge a few representatives of conifers - record-holders in annual growth. These include berry and canadian yew, western thuja and juniper.
These species are ideal for homogeneous plantings, and for multi-tiered compositions as a backdrop for low-growing shrubs. Planting material of conifers is taken at the age of 5 years, it is preferable to purchase seedlings with a closed root system.
Below are the best options for the fast-growing hedge with the main characteristics.
Green apple leaf
Forms a magnificent krone with sprawling branches. It reaches a height of 3 meters. The leaves are large and carved, depending on the variety, may have a lemon or purple color, brownish or purple hue.
Negatively reacts to lime content in the soil and does not tolerate waterlogging (drainage is necessary on heavy soils). It is photophilous, frost-resistant, but in severe winters frosting of the tips of young shoots is possible, resistant to gas pollution and dust.
The natural appearance of the plant is a sprawling fountain-like shrub. Immediately after planting, the top is pruned, in the early years, the side shoots are shortened by several centimeters to produce a powerful fluffy bush.
It has a spreading crown. The height exceeds 2.5 meters. In addition to decorative leaves with a bright border, it is attractive in spring with fluffy inflorescences of white or cream color.
It grows on any soil. Growing up in Siberia, it perfectly withstands the vagaries of nature, but does not tolerate drought, shade-tolerant. Trimming begin the next year after planting and hold it twice per season to maintain the correct shape. Without pruning, the bushes from the bottom become bare and look sloppy.
Spreading shrub with early flowering: yellow flowers bloom before the leaves and densely cover the shoots.
Prefers light breathable and calcareous soils. It has good winter hardiness and drought resistance, light-requiring. Adult plants are cut after flowering to developed buds.
Upright shrub up to 2 meters high with large spherical inflorescences. Demanding on soil fertility and moisture. Light and heat-loving, shelter required in the northern regions. Does not need shaping trimmings.
It is very decorative all year round, has long spines, is represented by dwarf and tall forms. Unpretentious. You can choose varieties for different growing conditions. Easily amenable to any shaping. Pruning is carried out after flowering and at the end of summer.
It has a compact bush up to 2 meters high with thorny shoots. In spring, it is beautiful with numerous white flowers, in summer - with dark green, purple or bright red leaves, and in late autumn - with blue berries - “balls”. It grows on any soil. It is frost-resistant, well transfers shading. The bush turns out dense and accurate and without frequent cutting.
Thorny bush is medium in size, very attractive during flowering period. Does not tolerate stagnation of water and close groundwater. It grows well in different climatic zones. Formative pruning is carried out annually in the autumn after leaf fall.
Tall prickly shrub with abundant flowering. Any soil is suitable, including poor and heavy clay. It is frost-resistant and shade tolerant. Without pruning does not lose decoration. Planting can form any height. In practice, an impassable continuous wall is created by splicing the side branches of neighboring bushes.
Liana with large beautiful leaves. It is undemanding to soil types, but in the early years it responds well to top dressing and fertilizer. It is frost-resistant, rarely affected by diseases and pests, shade-tolerant.
Formation consists in tying and direction of vines. Rapid growth requires mandatory pruning in the first year after planting to remove sticking and outgrowing shoots. It is also necessary to periodically sprinkle naked growing roots.
Evergreen liana. Prefers fertilized and moisture-absorbing soil. Does not love the sun, young plants must be covered for the winter. The autumn pruning of “sticking out” and dry elements is required, as well as the shortening of the shoots to produce a lush fence.
Weaving plant with a long and bright flowering, suitable for creating a hedge in height from 1 to 2 - 3 meters (depending on the variety). Prefer well-drained loam. Light and moisture-loving, in the Middle zone require shelter.
Pruning depends on the variety group. In some cases, pruning of withered shoots under the first developed bud is used, in others - autumn pruning of young growth at a distance of about 30 cm from old wood.
Powerful vine with bright green leaves, in its attractive during flowering and fruit formation. Unpretentious and very aggressive, light-requiring. Requires strong support and regular pruning spreading.
Low (up to 1.5 meters) bush with a rounded crown and silver leaves. Undemanding to fertility, well tolerated waterlogging. Light-requiring, drought-resistant, has good winter hardiness. With the help of formative spring pruning, you can create low hedges of any shape.
Reaches a height of about 8 meters. Even poor soils are suitable for it. Adapts well to growing conditions. Adult plants are trimmed at the beginning and at the end of the season.
It is appreciated by graceful leaves and snow-white inflorescences with a pleasant aroma. Grows on poor and saline soils. Drought-resistant, heat and light-requiring, does not tolerate harsh winters. Pruning is carried out to limit the growth and activation of branching, without regular care, it turns into thickets and gives many young growth.
What to choose from the variety? A matter of taste. Ornamental shrubs will become not only an obstacle or a means of zoning, but also a spectacular decoration of the garden.
Fruiting fast-growing shrubs for hedges not only decorate, but also benefit in the form of medicinal berries. However, with such cultivation with frequent haircuts, you should not expect big harvests. If you want to make hawthorn jam or barberry jam for the whole family, it is better to plant a separate bush and care for it accordingly.
The fastest growing hedge is obtained from lianas (grapes, hops), while in a short time you can form a high and dense eco-selection. But for vertical growth, creepers require support, which must be quite strong to withstand the weight of powerful shoots growing over the years. Rapid growth requires regular and proper pruning so that the plant does not tangle everything around.
For durable plantings fit and trees. Willow and acacia give a very good annual growth and quickly reach the desired height. The fence of them does not have to be high - with the help of pruning you can easily change the natural appearance of the plant.
In order for the fence to turn out to be quite dense and the plants do not oppress each other, it is necessary to withstand the recommended planting pattern. It is more convenient to plant in a trench with a depth of 0.5 and a width of 0.6 m. Seedlings are aligned along the string - this is important for creating a flat wall. Climbing plants are placed in 0.25 m, for low-growing shrubs a distance of 0.5 and 1 m is acceptable, for tall shrubs the distance is increased to 1.5 m.
For most species, spring planting is more favorable, but an autumn one is allowed, provided that the seedlings take root before frost. Many representatives will need a garter to the support, so the stakes with twine should be prepared in advance.
The trench is filled with a fertile mixture of compost, sand and peat. For shrubs need stimulating pruning after planting, which allows you to get a highly branched lush bush. Lianas (with the exception of girlish grapes) are not pruned in the first year, allowing them to develop the root system and increase the green mass. In the first year, plants need good watering and mulching with humus or compost.
Planting fast-growing plants, you need to take into account two of their shortcomings: the need for frequent cutting and strong development of young plants. Over the years, such a fence can act as an invader at the dacha. High powerful fences can shade small areas that need to be considered when choosing plants.
For those who are inclined to extravagance, a combined solution of different types or of several contrasting varieties of the same type will be an excellent solution for the design of a cottage or a country house.
A variety of hedges for landscape design
There are many forms of green fences, so when planning a bookmark, it is worth exploring the main groups that stand out based on different parameters:
- Curbs up to 50 cm.
- Average fences up to two meters.
- High fences, which height exceeds 2 m.
- Freely growing hedges. The look demands the minimum labor costs from the owner, forming at the same time a beautiful natural protection. However, in order for such a fence to please the eye, it is necessary to properly and carefully select plants.
- Formed stands. The group includes all hedges that are pruned. Such green fences look very elegant: haircut allows you to get a fence of any shape. However, to leave the owner requires the presence of certain knowledge and skills.
By type of plants
- Evergreen. By such plantations are all conifers. Deciduous bushes for live evergreen hedge are also used: boxwood, holly Norway, individual varieties of barberry and others.
- Deciduous. A very extensive subgroup, which includes not only shrubs, but also trees. However, with the advent of cold weather, such hedges lose their beauty.
- Perennial. This includes all shrub and tree plants, the laying of which is carried out for a long period.
- Annuals. Used to decorate an existing fence made of artificial material.
By speed of formation
- Fast-growing fencing. The subgroup includes plants that are able to form a full-fledged fence for a maximum of 3 years.
- Hedges, characterized by moderate growth. Plant growth for this type of fence varies from 30 to 60 cm per year.
- Slow-growing live fences. The maximum annual growth of crops in the subgroup is 20 cm, so the formation of such a fence will last at least 5 years.
- Protective. The purpose of creating such plantations is to protect the site from external stimuli.
- Landscaping. Hedges serving to separate zones inside the garden.
- Decorative. The goal is to decorate buildings and conceal any flaws.
Plants for hedges are selected according to the following recommendations:
- Plants should grow at the same rate and have a similar density.
- Greenery should block the site, but not penetrate the next.
Bookmark fast-growing hedges can be carried out with the help of tree plants.
The culture is the fastest growing, which makes it an excellent plant for laying green fence.
Often used to form fast growing fencing. Some varieties are particularly decorative: goat willow, purple. Despite the lack of culture to the ground, it needs a fairly high level of humidity.
Unpretentious breed that can be cultivated on soils of any composition. For the formation of a fence used young seedlings, shoots are intertwined gardener. The height of the green fence is regulated by trimming.
The use of trees of similar breed, which is characterized by intolerance to acidic soils, is suitable for the formation of hedges from 2 to 4 meters. The haircut, to which the tree responds perfectly, is held twice a year.
Undemanding plant, characterized by high decorative, with a lush rounded crown. Because of the shade, in which the culture can easily grow, the leaves lose their contrast.
Drought-resistant shrub, which thanks to the thorns copes with the protective function, especially decorative looks in the autumn time - during the period of fruit ripening and the acquisition of sheet plates of various contrasting shades. Some hybrids overwinter with leaves on the shoots.
The unpretentious compact bush with height to 3 m, not demanding careful cutting. The obstruction of the hedge formed by thorns is combined with the benefits of the fruits, which are formed as a result of the flowering of the shrub before the leaves appear. During flowering shrubs exudes an almond fragrance.
Evergreen shrub of conifers deserves special attention: of all conifers, it has the largest annual growth of 40 cm. The pomp of the thuja crown directly depends on the regularity of haircuts.
Evergreen representative used in the formation of borders and fences of medium height, can tolerate moderate frosts. Winter winds and spring sun rays are more damaging to boxwood.
Thanks to the prickles and weaves of the vine, the rose perfectly protects the fence. The greatest decorativeness stands out during the flowering period.
Keeps decorative qualities throughout the warm season. For abundant flowering flower requires regular pruning.
Decorative plants manifested in the abundance of foliage, the loss of which is noted in too shaded places. A prerequisite for growing is to prevent the soil from drying out.
Coniferous or deciduous hedge?
The main disadvantage of coniferous fences that adorn, protect the area all year-round and enrich the air with phytoncides, is slow growth compared to hardwood. The latter grow quickly, delight owners with flowers and even bear fruit, being a source of raw materials for winter harvesting.
The hedge is laid using two or three year old saplings in the spring before sap flow begins or in early autumn so that planting material can take root, according to the following scheme:
- A plot is prepared 10 days before the laying: a trench of a depth of 50 cm and a width of 100 cm is dug along a fixed twine.
- When disembarking between specimens, the distance from 25 to 200 cm is maintained depending on the plant: for climbing plants - 25 cm, for bushes - 50-150 cm, for trees - over 150 cm.
Summer residents and owners of private homes do not just choose the barberry. He is unpretentious in the care and at the same time has a beautiful appearance with edible fruits. Here are some tips for caring for a plant:
- watering every seven days,
- mineral fertilizers are applied once in spring, one year after planting,
- loosen the soil often
- after trimming, remove weak shoots and broken branches,
- You can cut only in June or August.
Follow all the recommendations for the cultivation and care, then your garden will shine a beautiful hedge of barberry. Below is a video on the care of this ornamental plant:
Periwinkle: photos of flowers, and how to care for a plant
An interesting plant with beautiful flowers. It is unpretentious in the care, therefore, suitable for growing even novice gardeners. The flower consists of five petals of a gentle-violet or blue shade.
The perfect combination of flowers and leaves
Everyone can cope with planting periwinkle and care in the open field. The plant of the selected variety takes root on any soil, can be planted on the slopes of the plots. The shrub grows actively, so a distance of 30-35 cm is observed when disembarking.
It can be planted on any soil from the sunny or shady side. In the early stages of growth is to ensure proper watering, then, the plant dispenses with abundant moisture. In the summer, a hedge is enough to be watered every 7-10 days.
Pink shrub variety
The periwinkle does not need a subcortex. And it can be propagated by cuttings, seeds, dividing a bush or tap. The easiest way is dividing, since active growth begins immediately after reproduction.
Seeds for breeding
Tip! Plant the shrubs in spring or early autumn; in summer, the soil will not be wet enough for successful growth of a new plant.
Beautiful flowers can also be used as separate elements of landscape design, periwinkle looks good on flowerbeds in flower arrangements. Here is a video on the care of this plant:
Euonymus: planting and care in the open field
Euonymus is a woody plant, short and evergreen. Apply it to create hedges, fences or decorate the site. A single plant looks good on an emerald lawn.
Flowering and fruit
There are about 200 species, each of which looks beautiful and peculiar.
Important! Shrub berries are poisonous, if there are children, make sure that they do not eat them, despite the fact that they are eaten by birds.
Propagate most often by taps or separation of the root system. Less commonly used seeds or cuttings. Seeds should be treated with a solution of potassium permanganate and planted in the fall to a depth of 2 cm.
Ground selection, landing and care
Follow the recommendations and the shrub will delight you for a long time with beautiful flowers and its greenery as a hedge. Here is a video for the care and cultivation of euonymus:
Privet - a hedge for your site
Privet is a common element of landscape design. Refers to the role of olive and evergreen shrubs. In nature, found in the undergrowth. The plant is not whimsical to the ground, tolerates drought and frost. Suitable for landing in central Russia.
Curly pruning shrubs
Privet well gets accustomed in the city and the countryside, the bush is not affected by exhaust gases or pollution of the atmosphere. It grows well in an open and fairly wet area.
For planting single bushes dig pits 40 cm deep. To create a fence, a substrate (earth mixture) of ash (300 g per linear meter) and lime (150 g) is added to the trench, and also includes mineral fertilizers in the amount of 70 g.
Low smooth border
Plant plants on the sunny side, as it comes from southern countries. And in the care complex, watering is included, which is especially important for young shoots, fertilizing with fertilizer in spring and pruning. Even if you do not specifically shape a hedge, you should carry out sanitary haircuts.
Propagate best branches or cuttings. You can use seeds or division of rhizome. Here is a video for the care and reproduction:
Hawthorn hedge: photo examples and care tips
Durable, undemanding plant - hawthorn. Able to bloom and bear fruit from the age of 10-15 years. Does not require special care and is perfect for creating a hedge in central Russia.
The root system is deep, so you can only replant up to 5 years. He loves the sun, in the shade worse fruits and blooms. It grows on any soil. And multiply the best cuttings.
To make a hawthorn thick hedge, cut the plants and plant them at a distance of 10-15 cm. Use a trench to a depth of 1 m. In the first year of life, all shoots are cut at a height of 15 cm. In the summer, you can shorten the side flows to stimulate growth. In the second year, the main branches can be cut in half, and the side again shortened. And on the third one, proceed to the formation of the desired shape, conducting a "haircut" 4-6 weeks before September.
First year trimmed hedge
Here is a video on the features of the care of this decorative fence and the cultivation of the bush itself:
Spruce hedge examples
Norway spruce - the most common plant in the middle lane. It possesses not only external beauty, but also an indescribable smell of needles. On the site such trees look great, well cleansing the air from pollution.
Low spruce hedge
So that it does not reach its natural height of 50 m, it should be cut off. Plant in a trench with a depth of 0.5 m and a width under the root system. They do not like the abundance of moisture, so you should create a drainage layer in the trench, filling the bottom with rubble or expanded clay at 20 cm.
In order to avoid drying out of the root system, the roots of seedlings are dipped into the clay mixture before planting on the site. Cutting in the first year of life is impossible. For the rest, the tree does not require special care, except for regular treatment from pests such as aphids, caterpillars or spider mites.
Decorative blue spruce
Here are photo examples of beautiful hedges and landscape design options with spruce:
Planted plants Magnificent option Winter option An example of a large area of landscape design
Honeysuckle Capricole: planting, care, photos of plants
Honeysuckle variety Kaprifol is an unpretentious plant, suitable for any type of mail. It blooms magnificently in the sun, and it is best to plant in October.
For planting, prepare a hole 0.5 m deep and add humus and wood ash to the bottom. Ensure that the root system is 5 cm below the soil level when transplanting. After burying the soil around it should be covered with peat in 3 cm layer.
Live fence in the midst of flowering
The plant is not afraid of frost, so it is perfect for the middle band.
Important!When pruning old shrubs, leave stumps 30-40 cm tall, otherwise the entire root system may die.
After the rejuvenation of the shrub can greatly grow, then the next year, spend thinning, leaving 10-15 of the strongest branches. Here is a video on the proper care and planting of a plant:
Hedge of willow: features of planting
Increasingly, fences from willow began to occur. Its beautiful falling down waterfall branches attract attention, and often planted trees allow you to close the area from prying eyes.
The variant of weaving of the shoots
To create such a living barrier, cuttings that are harvested in the fall or spring are best suited. It is best to use annual shoots that are cut in the fall and stored in a cool place.
You can buy ready-made seedlings, paying attention to their root system, which should not be dry.Cuttings easily take root in any wet soil, but the acid soil is considered the most appropriate.
Saplings on sale
To create a live fence, mark the perimeter of the plot. Dig a trench 40-50 cm deep. Planting shoots should be next to the hammered pegs, as the seedlings will need a frame. Plant at a distance of 20 cm and at an angle of 45 в.
Feed the plant 2-3 times with complex mixtures, and at the end of the summer potassium sulphate is added to the soil. With proper care, such a fence will last up to 50 years.
Campsis big-flowered planting and care in the open field
Surprisingly beautiful liana, which quickly grows and wraps around the selected area of the fence.
And the fence will bloom
When planting should take into account one thing - the root system is actively developing and fills the entire nearby space. When planning a landing, consider how to protect other plants from the aggressive roots of the grandiflora kampsis. For example, put in a narrow passage between buildings.
Orange variety along the stone wall
The plant loves a lot of heat and the sun, and for good growth the soil should be loose and slightly acid. Planted in a hole 50 cm deep, where they add humus and complex fertilizers. It is desirable to pour claydite or small gravel on the bottom.
You can plant in early April, if you do not expect repeated frosts, and buds appeared on the seedlings.
Important! Think in advance support for the growth of vines.
Watering should be regular, but not allowing waterlogging. You can cut off as needed, and the plant does not need any additional feeding. Below is a video on proper care and planting:
Kizilnik brilliant - a hedge: a photo of interesting decisions
Brilliant is simple in planting and caring, so even an amateur gardener will cope with such a hedge or a plot decoration option. It is upright growing deciduous shrub, reaches a height of 2 m, and inflorescences consist of 5-8 flowers. Begins to bloom in May. The fruits are round and look like berries.