The inhabitants of the garden can sometimes please not only decorative, but also useful properties. This category can be easily attributed undemanding in the care of "Kuril tea", or Kamchatka bush, for the cultivation of which special skills are not needed. This beautiful plant can become the center of a flower bed and serve for the preparation of medicinal raw materials. We will tell you how to plant the silverweed on the plot and care for it, what varieties can decorate the cottage with bright flowers.
The cinquefoil shrub got its name from the shape of its leaves, which resemble a tiny foot. Previously, these plants of the Rosy family were classified as different genera, and now they have been identified as the Pentaphylloides.
Potentilla is inherent shrub habitus. The bush height of 10-150 cm consists of direct shoots, which are intensively branched. The branches are covered with red-brown flaking bark. Young shoots are densely dotted with fine hairs; there is no pubescence on adult branches. Each blade of the Potentilla consists of two or three pairs of leaves with a trifoliate top. The surface of the tiny oval lobes is densely covered with adpressed hairs. The length of a small leaf is no more than 3 cm, width is about 10 mm.
Potentilla bloom period falls at the beginning of summer. Depending on the variety, numerous flowers are single or collected in apical inflorescences in the form of an umbrella, shield, brush. The wild relatives of Potentilla have yellow flowers. The structure of the corolla is simple, it consists of 5 petals and a fluffy middle with stamens. Varieties of hybrid origin can boast various forms of the bush, a wide palette of petal colors.
If your site grows a classic variety of "Kuril tea", it can be used for the preparation of medicinal raw materials. To do this, throughout the growing season from the shrub collect shoots, flowers and leaves. They can be used for brewing a fresh drink (2 tablespoons per 300 ml of water) or dried for the winter. Infusion is used as a tea brew.
Kuril tea tastes little different from the classic drink, but has a delicious aroma and a unique chemical composition. The amount of vitamin C raw material surpasses lemons by 5 times. The plant contains trace elements and antioxidants, essential oils.
Due to the rich chemical composition of the drink has anti-inflammatory, diuretic, antimicrobial, tonic effect.
Closely monitor the level of blood pressure: Kuril tea helps to reduce this indicator. To refrain from taking the drink should be pregnant women and allergies.
If you chose Potentilla shrub as the decoration of the dacha, feel free to buy hybrid varieties. Their winter hardiness is lower than that of a botanical species, but its spectacular appearance is worth the trouble of cultivation and care.
The following varieties of shrubs are popular.
- Goldfinger - forms thick pillows with dark green foliage. Plant height - 120-150 cm. Flowers of rich yellow color have a nimbus with a diameter of 50 mm. It is considered one of the most beautiful varieties.
- Kobold is a stunted cultivar 50–60 cm high. The culture forms a neat lush crown with a diameter of up to 120 cm, it requires formative trimming. The color of the petals is light yellow. Decorative from mid-summer to frost. Variety of Potentilla Kobold suitable for hedges.
- Abbotswood reaches a height of 80-100 cm, girth of the crown 130 cm. The diameter of the flowers - 2.5 cm, the color of the corolla is white. Flowering lasts from the beginning of summer to the end of the season.
- Flash Royal is a short cultivar 50-70 cm high. It preserves its decorative effect all season. In the summer attracts with large red flowers. As the aging of the petals are painted in dark pink tones. In the fall, the dark green crown casts a silver color.
- Red Ice has beautiful light green foliage. The height of the bush 60-65 cm, girth twice. At the beginning of summer, red-orange beaters are flung open, changing colors to yellow-orange. Red Ice variety is decorative all season.
These are only the most popular hybrids of Potentilla shrub. Although there are a lot of varieties of this plant, our compatriots prefer classical “Kuril tea”.
Landing on the site
You can enjoy a healthy drink from silverpaw or make a spectacular flower garden only if the plant is properly planted.
You can plant shrubs in spring or autumn. The shrub root surface root system of the shrub is easier to take root in early spring after the snow melts and the soil warms up. Autumn planting is carried out a month before the cold snap, the best thing to do is work in the middle of September. Before falling into a dormant period, the silverweed will have time to take root.
Many gardeners prefer to plant shrubs in the fall, since a large assortment of healthy planting material appears in the nurseries.
Endurance potentilla envy any inhabitant of the garden. She is not afraid of a strong cold wind, so you can plant bushes even in open space. When choosing a landing site, it is important to consider that under the scorching sun the petals can fade, especially in colored varieties like Red Ice or Royal Flush. This will shorten the flowering period, reduce the decorative effect. Silverweed prefers delicate penumbra, in full shading to achieve flowering and lush shoots will not succeed.
Shrub spiny need of the substrate structure - heavy clay soils are not suitable for it. It is also important to take care of good drainage in order not to provoke root decay. Suitable shrub light soil with a pH of 5.5-7.5.
Rules for preparing the landing pit:
- A pit for planting a shrub is prepared 10-14 days before transplanting, so that the soil has time to thicken,
- the optimal well size is 50 by 50 cm,
- at the bottom of the hole lay a drainage layer of rubble or brick chips with a height of 15-20 cm,
- half of the well is filled with a nutrient mixture of equal parts of leafy earth and humus, add a little sand and 150 g of the complete mineral complex,
- when planting, the upper part of the hole is filled with soil (fertile layer) removed during digging.
It is possible to plant Lapchatka shrub not only in the wells, but also in trenches, which is important when creating a hedge. They are prepared similarly.
Kuril tea is planted using the following technology.
- The seedling before planting trim the roots, forming a branched lobe.
- Spread on the drainage layer nutritional pillow, filling half the planting pit.
- Carefully spread the roots of the seedling in the hole, gradually fall asleep fertile soil, compacted. The root neck should remain at ground level.
- Portions poured a bucket of warm water under each Potentilla bush, mulching the surface with peat.
Observe the step between the bushes of at least 1 m. When planting a hedge, plant individuals in 40 cm steps.
It is very simple to care for shrubby palmweed. Competent care includes watering, feeding, cutting and preparing for winter.
The adult silverweed perfectly tolerates dry conditions, it should be watered only with prolonged absence of rain. Young saplings irrigate 1 time per week. The next morning, it is helpful to loosen the soil, remove weeds, and mulch. The rate of watering - 10 liters per bush.
Evening spraying with warm water will positively affect the health of the seedlings. Make sure that the sun has already disappeared over the horizon, otherwise burns will appear on the delicate leaves.
The supply of nutrients in the planting well is enough for a year. Every spring you need to feed the culture with potassium-phosphate fertilizers of long-acting (granulated). Application rate - 150 g per square meter.
Pruned Potentilla shrub subdivided into two types.
- Sanitary is carried out throughout the season. To be removed are broken and weak twigs, shoots affected by pests, fungus.
- Forming is performed in early spring or early fall. Forming involved in every 3 years, removing a third of each escape.
By forming pruning, it is possible to grow a similarity to a standard shape of a cinquefoil shrub. To do this, select the most powerful branches, remove the entire growth on the lower third of the shoot. Twigs are twisted at the bottom, forming a small tree. Each year, the lower part of the shoots are cleared of lateral shoots.
Diseases and pests
The health hazards of shrubs are:
- leaf spot,
- powdery mildew,
Finding signs of the disease, process the copper-containing drugs (XOM, copper sulfate) or fungicides (Fufanon, Fundazol). Pests do not like the dense pubescence of the bush, they bypass the plant side.
Preparing for the winter
Varieties of Potentilla shrub have a different threshold of winter hardiness. Plants with white and yellow flowers frost is not terrible. Before hibernation, clear the foliage of the tree near the trunk, sprinkle the root collar with a layer of peat to a height of 15 cm.
If the color of the petals of Potentilla is pink or red, it is better to build an air-dry shelter over the bush.
Shrubs can be propagated in the following ways.
- Seeds. The method is rarely used, since the cultivation of seedlings takes 4 years, while varietal characteristics are not preserved. Seeds are sown in greenhouses or boxes; seedlings for the winter are covered with peat.
- Layering. Pin a developed shoot into a small groove, and next spring, separate it from the mother liquor and land it in a permanent place. The plant will bloom in a year.
- The division of the bush. 5-6 years old bush in early spring, dig and cut into several parts, so that each had renewal buds and a developed bunch of roots. Already this year, young specimens will delight in flowering.
- Cuttings. Lignified cuttings 10 cm long root in a mixture of peat and sand. They should be deepened so that only the top of the head is 2 cm long. After a year, plant the seedlings on the flowerbed, they will bloom next season.
Nature presented gardeners with a valuable and beautiful plant - cinquefoil shrub. Breeders turned it into a real garden decoration. Whatever type of Potentilla you choose, follow the rules described above for growing.
In nature, Potentilla can be found in the temperate zone of the Northern Hemisphere: in the Far East, Siberia, China, Mongolia, Western Europe, and the Altai Mountains.
Types of Potentilla shrub there are different. There are fifteen of them in the genus, all deciduous. This miracle of nature is calculated in more than one dozen varieties that differ from each other in the color of leaves, flowers, and plant height. In places with a temperate climate, varieties with yellow-orange flowers feel most comfortable and stable.
Each variety Potentilla shrub has its own flowering color. But most often it is a white, yellow, orange-yellow tone.
The most popular varieties of Potentilla shrub:
- Potentilla shrub “Abbotswood” is a shrub up to one meter in height with a dense cushion-shaped crown and light green leaves. White flowers are small brushes. "Abbotswood" is part of one of the best varieties, looks good in group plantings of rock gardens and on short curbs.
- The cinquefoil shrubber "Guilford Cream" is a bush of one and a half meters height with a thick cushion-shaped crown and dark green leaves. Large flowers begin to bloom in early July.
- Silverweed shrub "Red Ace" different creeping shoots. The height of the shrub is about 70 cm, crown is 1.3 m wide, the leaves are dark green, the flowers are orange-red, beautiful.
- Mingling shrub "Hoppy Orange" - plant height half a meter, crown width - one meter, flowers of dark orange color. This variety has established itself as a variety with high endurance and winter hardiness. It feels comfortable in country areas.
The cinquefoil shrub is a strongly branchy bush. The branches are covered with red-brown or brown-gray bark, which is easy to exfoliate.
Leaves with two or three pairs of oblong or oblong-ovate leaflets 5-25 mm long and 1-8 mm wide, which are usually hairy, are rarely bare.
The flowers are formed on the shoots grown in the current year. Inside there are about 25-30 stamens, which is why the middle is fluffy.
The flowering of one flower lasts from five hours to two days, depending on the ambient temperature and humidity. The shrub blooms from early May to late August. Plants are found with a variety of flower color, very reminiscent of the spring color of apple or wild rose. Fruiting begins in October. The cinquefoil shrub in autumn looks colorful and elegant, becoming covered with yellow foliage.
Other names: Kuril shrub tea, shrub five-leafed, Lapchatka.
Mottled shrubs: care and cultivation
Potentilla is unpretentious in relation to the soil, but it is better to plant it in well-lit places in a loose and nutritious substrate. Root neck when planting should be at ground level. On the development of shrubs bad soil disease.
Planting Potentilla shrub is a simple matter. You just need to follow some rules after planting. Obligatory watering in dry summer and timely top-dressing with mineral and organic fertilizers.
Pests and diseases
Like all living things, the silverweed is exposed to diseases. One of them is rust. There is no great damage from it, but it affects the decorative effect greatly. Avoid planting near the pine.
It is easy to get rid of such a disease, it is enough to spray fungicides, a solution of manganese, boron. Pests do not happen.
Mottled Shrub: Reproduction
One of the methods of reproduction is cutting. Cuttings fifteen centimeters long are best cut at the end of June, at that time the branches will gain strength for independent development. From the bottom side it is necessary to remove the leaves and place the cooked cutting for twelve hours in a growth stimulator.
Already prepared cuttings to land in a prepared greenhouse, covering it with glass or film. Remove all buds formed in order to successfully grow the root system.
After about a month, 90% of the cuttings will have roots and will safely take root. You can leave them in the greenhouse until next spring. Seedlings cuttings easily rooted, planted under the can.
It is possible to propagate the cinquefoil shrub by cuttings, pressing it to the ground, and then prikopav. It will be possible to separate the layers from the shrub only next spring. This method is considered the easiest and easiest.
A good breeding option - the division of the bush four years of age. In the spring, in warm weather, separate the sprout with growth buds and immediately plant it in place, then water it abundantly.
Under natural conditions, the shrubby permotus produces reproduction by self-sowing. Sometimes gardeners independently collect, then sow the seeds, but the method is so inefficient. At its application almost no maternal qualities of the plant are transmitted.
Due to unpretentiousness in cultivation and a long period of flowering, the silverweed shrub looks good in undersized hedges and is an ornament to garden compositions. Having planted a plant, it is possible to form a short boorderchik.
A planted bush on a small lawn or lawn will be a long time to enjoy abundant flowering. The plant can be used to create group and single plantings.
If you choose the right varieties, you can make a mini-garden out of plants, which will also include cinquefoot shrubs, whose care and cultivation can be done even by a novice gardener.
Characteristics and description of the shrubs
Potentilla is a crop that includes a large number of annual crops, biennials, and perennials, among which you can easily find shrubs and herbaceous species.
Potentilla shrub. Perennial culture, represented as a shrub, with a dense and spherical shape. The plant can grow to the level of 1.5 meters. This plant is considered the most common of the other varieties of Potentilla.
In the people such grade is called Kuril tea or five-leafed. Compact and branched shrubs in natural growing conditions can often be found on stony slopes, scree, as well as in the cracks between the rocks, where the plant almost always creates hairy thickets.
The leaves of the shrub type Potentilla are slightly lowered, and also dissected into five lobes at once, the buds are rather large in size, combined into a complex of inflorescences. In the middle of the flower there are a thousand stamens, with the result that the middle of the bud looks very fluffy.
The process of flowering in the plant begins with the onset of June, and continues until October. You can find such varieties of Potentilla, which are different in their color, but in most cases the flowering of the bush is more like the flowering of apples or wild rose. After the culture blooms, seeds form - a box in the form of a brown button, which makes the culture even more decorative and attractive.
Среди самых распространённых сортов растения можно выделить следующие:
- Абботсвуд – это кустарник, который доходит высотой до одного метра, а также имеет подушкообразную и плотную корону. The leaves are light green in color, white flowers form small brushes. Shrub can look good in special rock gardens, as well as in group plantings in conjunction with other cultures, is actively used in the decoration of borders.
- Guilford Cream - This is a tall shrub that can reach a height of 1.5 meters. The crown of Potentilla is dense and has the form of a pillow, the leaves are dark green in color. Potentilla flowers are quite large, large and often have a cream and snow-white hue.
- Red ace - this plant is in the form of a shrub with a height of up to 70 centimeters, the crown of a silverweed can reach a width of up to 1, 3 meters. The main feature of the culture is the creeping shoots. The leaves of the culture are dark green in color, mostly the plant blooms orange-red shades.
- Pink - Quinn - the beautifully flowering cinquefoil, which grows to a height of 80 centimeters. When flowering soft pink flowers are formed, the flowering period of the plant lasts from June to September.
- Hoppy Orange - it is a low shrub, it reaches only 50 centimeters, it also has a rather wide crown. It is considered the most enduring and winter-hardy variety.
- Silverweed Apennine. Perennial culture, which was found in Europe, where most often grows at an altitude of 1500 meters. The height of the culture reaches from 5 to 15 centimeters, the leaves of the trifoliate type, pubescent have a silvery shade. The process of flowering of the culture occurs at the end of the summer season, pink or white inflorescences form on the plant, reaching a diameter of 15 mm in diameter. It is used as a decoration of rock gardens, crevices in the stones, in the works of landscape designers.
- White bloodroot. Perennial shrub, the growing place of which is considered the central part of Europe and Russia. The height of the culture varies from 8 to 25 centimeters. The stems and leaves of the culture are covered with silky and adpressed hairs. The plant has complex basal leaves, as well as dark brown stipules. The plant blooms in small white inflorescences on a long stalk. Flowers may have a diameter of 3 centimeters, actively flowering culture occurs from May to August. Unpretentious Potentilla, with all this is unable to tolerate direct sunlight, as well as an excessive amount of moisture in the soil.
- Goose cinquefoil. Ground-cover plant, which is unpretentious to the conditions of cultivation, therefore, distributed throughout Russia. The leaves of the culture of feathery, large-toothed, flowering occurs in small single inflorescences. Inflorescences have a diameter of up to two centimeters. Leafless flower stalks. The plant is considered unpretentious, grows under any conditions, near roads, highways - in those places where other cultures simply cannot survive.
- Silverweed Nepalese. Perennial and grassy shrub, whose height can reach up to 1, 5 meters. Homeland plants can be considered the territory of Nepal, as well as the Western Himalayas. Stems from the plant are straight, strongly branched, have a purple hue. This species has rather large leaflets, of the palmate type, reaching up to 30 centimeters in length, as well as having a dark green color. The flowers of the plant attract the attention of others due to their brightness, large size, pink colors and dark veins, which are collected in unusual panicles. The beginning of flowering occurs in July, and the duration is 55 days.
- Potentilla erect (in other words, kalgan). It is a perennial shrub that has a thickened woody rhizome and can grow freely in the wild in forests, tundra, swamps, rivers, and lakes. The stem of the culture is erect, with a height of up to 20 centimeters, the upper region of the shrub does not have foliage. Flowers, as a rule, are solitary, regular in shape, reaching one centimeter in diameter, growing on long and narrowed pedicels. The flowering time of the flower lasts from June to August.
In addition, among the Potentilla Nepalese, you can find beautiful hybrid varieties:
- Miss Wilmotte - these are lush inflorescences of cherry-pink and red shade, which have a dark eye.
- Roxana - these are inflorescences of salmon-orange color, have dark streaks.
Potentilla landing process
The potentilla flower is a plant that is unpretentious to the growing conditions, which is why it is an easy and pleasant process to grow potentilla in gardens and suburban areas. An exception can only be white moth, which grows only in the shade and cannot bear the strong moisture of the soil. All other varieties of silverweed prefer light or shaded parts of the garden during the daytime. A large amount of light can adversely affect the appearance of the plant. Delicate petals can begin to quickly burn out under the direct rays of the sun and lose their attractiveness. Lack of light can stop the flowering process or slow down the growth of the crop.
Potentilla blooms splendidly and grows well in the moistened soil, although with all this it refers to stable and unpretentious colors. During the rainy season, the crop may not need additional watering. In hot and dry summer, the plant should be watered two or three times a week, preventing dryness in the soil. It is strictly forbidden to use ice water to water the plant in order not to harm the root system of the flower; it is best to irrigate the flower with warm and settled water.
After the watering process it is worthwhile to shallow the soil around the flower. In the evening, flowers can be sprayed. Potentilla seedlings need plenty of watering, they should be watered quite often, using up to 10 liters of warm water under one shrub during the irrigation process.
Flowering shrub needs additional fertilizer in the soil. When planting seedlings, any mineral dressing or ashes should be used, and the following spring the crop can be fed using the following fertilizers:
- In the process of active growth In springtime, plants should be fertilized in the amount of 30–40 grams of potassium sulfate and phosphate, diluting them in 10 liters of water, while counting on one crop.
- In the process of budding soil mixture should be fed with phosphorus-potassium complex supplements, using the instructions for use.
- Also to maintain an attractive type of plant it should be regularly cut, even the crown of the bush.
General description of the plant
Among the many garden plants, cinquefoil shrub has a rather long flowering period. Under favorable conditions and competent care, it is covered with a scattering of buds from the beginning of summer until the first frost. From the side, the shrub resembles a luxurious fabric that sways gracefully from the summer breeze. Those who grew it on the territory of a country house, created for himself a truly paradise. Looking at the photo of Potentilla shrub, you can see its unsurpassed originality, original tenderness and refined details.
This cute beauty boasts several more names - five-leaf tea and Kuril tea. In addition, in translation from Latin, the word "potents" means "powerful", which indicates the beneficial properties of this plant.
In the natural environment on the spacious meadows and river valleys found Potentilla goose. Its long 80 cm of garland is richly decorated with bright yellow flowers. Designers use hybrid herbaceous varieties for alpine slides, and shrub species - as a blooming hedge. Due to the fact that the plant grows in nature on pebbles, rocky slopes, it successfully survives on the fertile soil of the dacha.
Potentilla is a lush, strongly branched shrub about 1.5 meters high. Its sophisticated shoots grow from the bottom area, forming a thick lace crown in the form of a ball or hemisphere. Most often, the width of the crown is much greater than the height of the cinquefoil, which gives the plant a unique look throughout the season.
Openwork and curly appearance gives the bushes original carved leaves, which are divided from 3 to 7 parts. They are a bit like indoor geranium, cuff and parsley. Each lobe of the leaf plate has a lanceolate character with a solid frame and a pointed apex. Color - muted green with a silvery sheen.
The buds of the cinquefoil shrub have a simple form and reach 3.5 cm in diameter. Consist of 5 rounded petals that surround the fluffy center, consisting of 30 gentle stamens. During flowering, they bloom along the entire shoot, forming openwork garlands against the background of green foliage. Interestingly, this entire period of interchangeability of the buds. Some bring sickle-shaped fruits, others only bloom. Thus, the silverweed can even meet the first snow with young inflorescences.
In addition, the plant is widely used in traditional medicine. Many are aware of the beneficial properties of cinquefoil and contraindications. Her raw foliage contains a huge amount of useful elements, including:
- vitamin C,
- vitamin C,
- essential oils.
Broths from it contribute to strengthening the immune system, stimulate digestion and beneficially affect the composition of the blood. The only contraindication is intolerance to its components. A prudent approach to treatment will help make wise decisions.
Modern breeders continue to work on the creation of new species of Potentilla. Although today it is already known a lot of decorative varieties. They differ in size, color of buds and degree of frost resistance. Therefore, gardeners should take into account these parameters, choosing plants for the dacha. Consider the most popular varieties of Potentilla shrub, photos and descriptions of plants, in order to evaluate their stately beauty.
The beautiful flowering deciduous shrub of this species has a meter height with a crown width of about 130 cm. During the lush flowering, a lot of snow-white buds appear on it. Latest inflorescences can bloom even in early October. The leaf plates are yellowish-green and consist of 3 or 7 ovoid parts. Length approximately 3 cm.
Potentilla shrub "Abbotswood" resistant to dry weather. Loves a lot of light, although it successfully grows in shady areas. The plant prefers moist soil with good drainage. Treats quickly growing bushes. During the year, its height increases by 20 cm, and its width approximately by 25 cm.
Potentilla are planted in pits of a maximum depth of 60 cm, at the bottom of which a drainage from pebbles or broken brick is laid. Soil is fertilized with humus and diluted with sand. To stimulate growth, you can add mineral fertilizers to the soil at the rate of 100 g per hole.
In order for the plant to settle successfully, the root neck of the silverweed must be flush with the ground.
The original cushion-shaped crown of the cinquefoil shrubber "Goldfinger" wonderfully fits into the garden landscape of a country house. Its bright yellow inflorescences of a large size will decorate the site for a whole season, right up to the first frost. The plant loves open places where there is a lot of sunshine and well-drained earth. It needs moderate humidity, therefore it suffers from dry periods.
The flowering period begins in late spring, when the entire shrub is dressed in a yellow veil of delicate buds. Dark green leaves do not change their shade until autumn. The plant is used to attract various types of butterflies to the garden.
Extremely resistant to weather conditions, cinquefoil shrub "Red Ice" grows, on average, up to 1.5 m in height. Differs in the original coloring of the exfoliating bark of shoots, which happens:
The sheet plate consists mainly of 5 parts. In spring, it is painted in a light green color, and throughout the summer - has a silvery shade. The first buds are orange-red, summer variants are orange-yellow.
The type of cinquefoil shrub "Red Ace" feels great on moist places and in partial shade. Frost-resistant Perfectly tolerates pruning, after which it retains its decorative appearance. Some specimens grow to a maximum of 60 cm. The diameter of the crown is about 100 cm.
The unique pink queen of garden flower beds is a low shrub with creeping branches. It is extremely hardy, miraculously tolerates pruning, while maintaining a compact and original look for a long time. For cinquefoil shrub "Pink Queen" is characterized by a dense cushion cushion. It is formed from feathery leaves consisting of 5 or 7 oval parts. In the summer, they are light green in the fall - golden. The buds of pink appear in early June and bloom until the end of September. Another name is a species - Potentilla shrub princesses.
"Merion Red Robin"
Fans of low-growing plants can grow on your site amazing flowering shrub. It grows only up to 50 cm. The dense crown of the Potentilla shrub Merion Red Robin resembles a miniature hemisphere - 80 cm wide, which consists of many thin shoots. Against the background of lanceolate leaves of light green color, every spring a lot of orange inflorescences appear. They decorate the plant until mid-September.
Potentilla "Merion Red Robin" is used for decorating slopes, borders, or as a groundcover.
The silverweed shrub "Lovely Pink" is a small plant that has a thick crown of creeping character. It grows up to 0.5 m in height. The diameter of the bush is 100 cm. For a year it can grow only by 10 cm. The sheet plates have a dark green color, 3 cm in length. From the beginning of June, a huge number of pink buds appear on the finger. Flowering continues until mid-autumn, until the first frost. Shrub prefers open areas where there is a lot of sunlight.
To stimulate abundant flowering and to form the shape of the crown, cinquefoil should be cut. It is better to do it in early spring.
Practical tips for the care and cultivation of plants
Potentilla is considered an unpretentious plant and survives in nature even in extreme conditions. Therefore, those who want to start a plant in their area, it is enough to follow simple rules:
- choice of location
- suitable soil
- top dressing.
Simple care and cultivation of Potentilla shrub allows many gardeners to decorate their plots with this cute plant. Planted in the spring or autumn, when the threat of frost has passed. Potentilla survives well in open places where there is a lot of light. In the extreme case - partial shade.
The soil should be light and loose with good drainage. For planting a deep pit is dug, which is 2 times longer than the root. Drainage is laid on the bottom from gravel or pebbles, after which they are covered with soil consisting of humus, sand and sod soil. For top dressing add a glass of ash and mineral fertilizer (about 150 g).
Competent shrub care means proper watering. Young seedlings moisturize 3 times a week, 10 liters per bush. Others, it is sufficient to moderately moisturize as the soil dries around the root zone.
To stimulate the successful development of the plant at the beginning and at the end of the growing season, fertilizing is carried out with special fertilizers.
It is also important to carry out pruning of the silverweed every season. Due to this, its appearance is improved, growth is stimulated and a beautiful crown is formed. The Potentilla shrub shown in the photo in landscape design is a living confirmation of the value of this operation. It is carried out in early spring, when the kidneys are not yet set to grow. Last year's tops of shoots, dry branches, as well as those that grow inside the shrub are harvested. As a result, for several procedures, you can completely update the plant. And then, the suburban area will always be decorated with golden curls of Potentilla shrub.
The main varieties of Potentilla
In nature, the silverweed is found in the temperate region of the Northern Hemisphere: China, Mongolia, Siberia, the Far East, the Altai Mountains, and also the territory of Western Europe.
There are various types of shrubs. In the genus they can be counted up to fifteen, and all of them are predominantly deciduous. This unusual plant includes about a dozen varieties that differ from each other in the color of the foliage, height and color of the buds. In places with a temperate climate, varieties with yellow-orange flowers are more comfortable and stable. Each variety Potentilla has its own individual coloring. Most often - it is yellow, white and orange-yellow shades.
The most popular varieties of Potentilla shrub:
- Mottled Shrub Abbotswood - A bush with a total height of not more than one meter with a dense cushion-shaped crown and light green leaves. White buds include small brush length. The variety Abbotsvud is included in the composition of one of the best varieties that look great when planting in rock gardens, as well as undersized curbs.
- Silverweed Gilford Kirm — растение, которое доходит в высоту до 1,5 метра в ширину, листья темно-зелёного цвета. Растение начинает свой период цветения в начале июля.
- Ред Эйс отличается своими стелющимися побегами. Общая высота кустарника доходит до семидесяти сантиметров, крона 1.3 метра в ширину. Цветки у растения окрашены в оранжево-красный цвет, листья тёмно-зелёные.
- Лапчатка Хоппи Оранж - the total height of the culture reaches 1.5 meters, the width of the crown is one meter, the buds bloom in a dark orange shade. This variety is different from the rest of its special endurance and winter hardiness. He feels great in the country garden.
Characteristics and description of the flower
This culture has a fibrous rhizome. Cirrus and slightly pubescent leaves of a plant in nature are most often found pentape, because of what this plant is also called the quatrefoil. On the territory of many European countries, such a culture is known as Dazifora, which means “bearing thick hairs”. The crown of the plant is presented in the hemispherical form. Particularly interesting when describing a plant are considered its external features, as well as the structure of flowers.
Abundant and bright flowering of such a culture occurs from June to October, which is why the flowering time can be attributed to the main advantages of Potentilla. Shrubs covered with a large number of large-sized flowers - the diameter can reach up to 3.5 centimeters, they often grow individually or in whole bright inflorescences.
Each flower includes up to a thousand small stamens, through which the hearts of the flower become showy and fluffy. Still ripening fruits give a great decorative effect to the culture. Covering the crown of the plant with small round fruits, the collective seeds ripen and acquire a dark brown shade, and also include a lot of fine hairs.
In terms of colors, this culture is divided into three main groups: Potentilla is pink, yellow, and also white. But, depending on the particular variety, the shades of the plant may vary. In most cases, in public flowerbeds or urban plantings, you can see a yellow shrub Potentilla, which looks pretty graceful and sets off other plants well. In addition to its bright color, shrubs include a number of useful properties that are even used in folk recipes for the treatment of various diseases and ailments.
The leaves, buds and shoots of the flower contain a large amount of resins, vitamins C and P, and alkaloids. Quite popular is tea, which is usually brewed from varieties of this herb. The drink has choleretic, analgesic, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effect. With this broth, you can quickly heal various wounds, burns and boils on the skin surface.
Proper planting and growing
For the full growth of the culture you need to properly care. The shrub likes to grow in places with good lighting, but at the same time slightly shaded by other plants or trees. The plant, as a light-loving and heat-loving variety, does not tolerate exposure to direct sunlight. In this case, the color of the plant begins to become dimmer and unattractive. It is best to plant the plant in early spring or autumn, when there will be a large amount of moisture in the soil. Proper cultivation of such a plant consists of a number of features that you need to know:
- the plant requires regular watering,
- in summer, near the plant, it is necessary to loosen the soil from time to time, and also to remove all weeds and harmful grass in time,
- in the spring season the plant requires additional feeding - mineral types of fertilizers (potash and phosphate) are used,
- in the process of care for the silverweed it will be necessary to regularly trim dry and damaged shoots,
- it is not necessary to shelter a plant when preparing for winter - such culture tolerates low temperatures and frosts;
- various harmful insects and diseases such a plant is rarely affected. To prevent the appearance of rust, which can adversely affect the flowers, you need to use modern fungicides.
When planting shrub sponge you need to choose the right and appropriate place for all requirements. Cultivars grow well in the leeward and shady areas located on the south side. The best option if the plant will be illuminated by the sun in the morning, and in the afternoon it will be in the shade.
It is more correct to carry out the planting of the Potentilla in light drained soils with a weakly acid and alkaline reaction. Planting plants in whole groups should occur at a distance of at least sixty centimeters between the nearest bushes. It is undesirable to plant in any wetland areas of the cottage.
It is very important to constantly monitor the number and length of young shoots. If you do not cut the plant in time, then it begins to overgrow and look not so aesthetically. In addition, the lower part of the shrub may be exposed.
That is why in early spring, as well as in late autumn, at the end of the flowering period, a full cut of the flower is carried out, at which the inside of the bush or dried branches are carefully removed. Every three to five years, the culture needs to be rejuvenated - one third of the shoots are cut to the ground level. Also relevant is considered decorative pruning, with which the gardener can give Potentilla any desired shape.
Like other plants, silverweed can get sick. The most common defeat of a flower is rust. Great damage from it will not be, but on the decoration, of course, it will greatly affect. It is necessary to prevent the planting of this plant near the pine.
To eliminate this disease is quite simple, you only need to spray a solution of boron, manganese and fungicides. There are no pests on this plant.
Because of its unpretentiousness in cultivation and long flowering time, the shrubby silverweed looks good in undersized hedges and is considered the main decoration of the whole garden. Planting culture, you can beautifully draw a short curb.
Planted shrubs on a small lawn or lawn will be a long time to please abundant beautiful flowering. Also, the flower can be used for the formation of single and group plantings.
If you choose the right plants, you can create a small garden of flowers, which will also include shrubby silverweed. Even an inexperienced gardener can take care of it and grow it.
Useful features of culture
Kuril bush tea includes about 3,000 species. The plant was given a name that, translated from Latin, means “strong”, “powerful” for its useful and medicinal properties. At one time, Ilya Muromets breathed the aroma of such a plant and became stronger and stronger. In ancient times, all healers called such a plant mogu.
Spiderweed can be used in the treatment of urinary incontinence in children, pyelonephritis and diabetes, as well as for the treatment of purulent wounds, healing of burns and boils.
The infusion of Potentilla branches according to the popular recipe helps to cope with pains and strong cuttings in the intestines, with dyspepsia, diarrhea with blood, acts as a hemostatic preparation. Tibetans use this remedy for pneumonia as an expectorant.
The roots of the shrub also have special healing properties, they are usually used for diarrhea. Infusion plants are used to eliminate stomatitis, purulent tonsillitis and other diseases of the oral cavity.
July is considered the most suitable month for creating such a drug, since it is during the flowering period that the plant begins to produce useful components.
The beautiful and elegant culture of shrubby silverweed is unpretentious in care and does not cause much trouble to the cottager. Proper care and cultivation of such a healing shrub can bring pleasure to the cottagers, as well as special benefits for his health. The plant will perfectly decorate the landscape of the dacha during its flowering period.
Description of Potentilla: Varieties and Varieties
If in ancient times the healers wanted to stop the blood from the wound, anesthetize or cure the poisoning - the cinquefoot came to the rescue. Care and cultivation of culture does not cause hassle. Now perennial more cultivated as an ornamental plant. There are at least 500 species of cinquefoil (five leaves). Here are some varieties:
- Annette - up to 0.5 m, orange flowers with a red tint.
The one who has been cultivating and reproducing cinquefoil is not the first year, he knows that it makes an excellent drink, rich in vitamin C. For this plant they call Kuril tea. In Siberia and the Kuriles, it is most common as a remedy for colds and flu. Those who have already used Potentilla in landscape design on their site, certainly liked the ease of its cultivation and unpretentiousness in the care.
Planting a plant
The best place option is partial shade. When landing on a sunny plot, you risk not to admire the bright flowering of the five-leafed. Some varieties fade under hot rays. In absolute shadow, the plant will develop poorly.
Council Potentilla tolerates planting not only in the open field, but also in large vases on balconies or loggias.
The soil should be rich in humus, well drained, loams are preferable. The most demanding in this regard, pink varieties. Plant the silverweed in spring or autumn. The depth of the pits is about 50 cm, the distance between them is about 60-80 cm. Lay the drainage with a layer up to 20 cm. It is best to use lime gravel: it contains calcium.
Pour the soil on top with sand and humus. Place the seedling in the pit, making sure that the root neck does not go deep into the ground. Pour it with soil in combination with complex mineral fertilizer. The final stages of planting - abundant watering and mulching sawdust.
Types and varieties
White bloodroot - perennial plant, reaches a height of 10-25 cm, having an unusual palmate-lobed shape of the leaves. Inflorescences in diameter of up to three centimeters are located on tall leafless stems up to 25 cm in height.
Nepalese Silverweed - perennial, up to 50 cm tall, with straight, branched stems of purple hue. There are large (up to 30 cm) dark green fingered leaves.
Flowers (up to 3 cm in diameter) are red and pink shades, with dark pink veins gathered in panicles.
The most famous varieties:
- Variety of silverweedMiss Wilmont,
Silverweed goose (goose foot) - has a rosette of pinnate leaves (about 20 cm tall). A distinctive feature is the presence of pubescence on the bottom of the sheet. Yellow flowers, yes 2 cm in diameter, located on long stems, on which leaves are completely absent.
Erect silverweed or straight (kalgan) - a perennial species, which is a straight stalk, growing to 20 cm tall, branching closer to the top. Trifoliate leaves. The inflorescences are small, up to 1 cm in diameter, arranged on long legs.
Silverweed silver - perennial, with a large tuberous rhizome. Stems beautiful arches rise up to a height of 30 cm with five or seven separate basal and lower stem leaves. Inflorescences are collected in neat plate-shaped panicles. Flowers in diameter 1-1.2 cm.
Potentilla hybrid - this species combines many hybrid forms, experimentally bred flower growers. The representatives of this species have a rhizome oblique or vertical, pubescent erect stems up to 90-100 cm high, with leaves collected in the rosette.
At the same time, the lower leaves are trifoliate or palmate with sharp notches, on long petioles, and the stem leaves are trifoliate and sessile.
Some of the varieties are:
- Potentilla Master Floris - long-blooming potentilla with simple yellow large flowers,
- Variety of silverweed Yellow Queen yellow shiny inflorescences
- Potentilla Vulcan - Potentilla with bright red terry flowers.
Silverweed shrub care and cultivation
Growing shrubs and grassy cinquefoil is no different and this is not too time consuming.
The main time to weed, water, feed the plant, and do not forget about mulching, loosening the soil around and remove faded flowers, leaves and weeds.
Watering is carried out every two weeks, subject to the absence of rain. If the bush is mumbled in the spring, for example, with peat (or sawdust), then the need for weeding and loosening is sharply reduced or disappears altogether, the main thing is to periodically add mulch to the plot.
Top dressing is carried out three times a year (May, July and September) with mineral fertilizers for flowering plants.
An additional, but not obligatory, condition is spraying (moistening) the silverweed at the end of a sultry summer day, after which you can be sure of abundant flowering.
Silverweed in winter
As for preparing for winter, there are no difficulties here. Due to the fact that the silverweed is cold-resistant, it does not require shelter in the winter, with the exception of young seedlings and rooted cuttings.
Silverweed seed growing
Potentilla grassy reproduces in various ways. For example, seed reproduction. Some gardeners advise sowing a piece of open ground with seeds in the fall, then by spring, they will undergo a natural stratification and young shoots will appear, which will only be planted.
But the most reliable way is still considered seedlings. For this, pre-prepared boxes are planted with seeds in February or March. Then create greenhouse conditions, covered with polyethylene, and maintain the air temperature within 15-18 ° C.
After the young shoots have leaves, they need to dive down into separate cups. Seedlings grow very slowly. In August-September, the plants are planted in open ground at a permanent place. Potentilla, germinated from seeds, begins to bloom only in the second year.
Reproduction of silverweed shrub
Breeding of the cinquefoil Potentilla is done in early spring, when all the snow thaws and the earth warms up. For this, holes are dug out twice as large as an earthen room (the size of the pot in which the bush had previously taken root).
The distance between each bush should be at least 30-40 cm. A drainage layer (limestone gravel) is laid at the bottom of the pit. Then fill the hole to half with a mixture of two parts of humus, two parts of leafy ground and one part of sand. After that, good fertilizing as a complex mineral fertilizer (150 g) will not interfere.
When the seedling is immersed in a hole, it is necessary to ensure that the root neck of the plant is just above the ground level after it is covered with the rest of the soil.
Immediately after planting, it is necessary to ensure abundant watering, and over the next couple of weeks to monitor the timely soil moistening, to avoid drying out. You can also mulch bushes with straw or sawdust, so the earth will stay wet longer.
Potentilla reproduction by cuttings
Potentilla cuttings carried out in early August. Cuttings, about 10 cm long, are cut from the ends of the shoots (removing the flowers). Rooting is carried out in wet perlite for 1-1.5 months in a warm room.
You can plant in open ground, in the shade of the garden, covered with a glass jar or cut off a plastic bottle. Spraying carried out several times a day and if buds begin to appear, then pick off, they can weaken the growth of the cutting. For the winter, be sure to cover lapchatka lapniku.
Reproduction Potentilla layering
The easiest way to propagate by layering, for this spring is chosen the most strong and healthy, low-growing shoots, incised on the outside and fit into a dug groove. If he does not fit well, it must be fixed with something and sprinkled with earth.
Closer to fall, this layer has its own root system, and it can be separated from the mother bush and planted in a permanent place.
Reproduction Potentilla dividing bush
Bushes are dividing at the end of April or autumn (in the first half of September). To do this, choose a shrub that is not less than four years old, dig a rhizome, gently peel off the ground so that the roots are clearly visible, and cut into pieces, so that each piece has two or three buds.
The slices are processed with a growth stimulator and planted in the ground, ensuring that the kidneys do not sink deep into the ground. Do not forget about the distance between the plots of 30-40 cm.
Potentilla white beneficial properties and contraindications
Potentilla leaves and flowers contain a large amount of ascorbic acid - several times more than lemons! They also have carotene, organic acids and many other beneficial substances.
One-year flowering tops of lapatki's shoots, ten to fifteen centimeters long, are used as a medicinal raw material.
Potentilla white has no contraindications, except only severe hypotension.
Brew at the rate of one tablespoon of crushed raw materials for two hundred and fifty grams of boiling water. In this form, cinquefoil is used to treat intestinal infections, dysbacteriosis in children, normalization of metabolism, treatment of wounds, burns, boils.
For rinsing the mouth and throat with sore throat, stomatitis, it is also a diuretic, but at the same time heals bedwetting and relieves constipation and soothes during stress.
Для хорошего роста в открытом грунте и цветения пятилисточнику необходима влажная почва. Поэтому основное правило ухода – полив. Часто лапчатке хватает лишь дождевой воды, к тому же она считается засухоустойчивым растением. Однако всё равно следите, чтобы грунт не пересыхал.
Under young saplings in the first 3 weeks after planting should be poured half a bucket 1 time in 7-8 days. In hot summer, provide watering 2-3 times a week. Each bush will be enough for a bucket of water, but not ice. Complete the procedure with loosening (to a depth of 5-10 cm) and mulching.
The appearance of Potentilla needs regular care. Remove weeds and cut bushes. Pruning is best done in spring or autumn. Every 3 years, cut the twigs by about 1/3 or slightly more, if required by landscape design.
Fertilizer and dressing
In addition to the mineral fertilizer introduced during planting, the silverweed needs such dressings:
Potassium sulphate and phosphate fertilizer:
- 25-30 grams of both on a bucket of water,
- 1 bucket is enough for 1 bush,
- introduction time is spring.
Phosphoric and potash supplements:
- use any, in accordance with the instructions
- introduction time - before flowering.
Mottled Shrub in Landscape Design
This plant holds its shape well. Borders and hedges are beautiful. A single Potentilla bush on the lawn looks harmonious. Often in landscape design, this perennial is used to:
- mixborders flower beds,
- rock gardens.
The cinquefoil shrub can grow in open ground up to 20-30 years. Make room for it, and it will serve as decoration for your garden all year round.