When a carrot planted on a bed has good shoots, they must be carefully thinned. The procedure is quite difficult, because by pulling on one outlet, you can pull out several at once, including those that should have stayed. In addition, the plants remaining after its implementation, weaken and often do not reach large sizes, given by the breeders. In this review, we will look at easy ways to sow carrots correctly, so that you don’t thin out.
How to sow carrots in the garden, so as not to thin out?
The best option for planting carrots in this case - use of manual drills like Maple-1 or SMK-5, which provide rapid penetration of seeds to a predetermined depth, help them evenly rarely distribute them across the ground in even rows, keep the seed without damage and speed up the sowing process by 5-10 times. Prices for them start from 2.5-3 thousand rubles.
If you do not have that kind of money it is quite possible to do with improvised materials: sand, paste, special tape or a bag. The sowing process in this case will not be automated, but will greatly facilitate the progress of work. On how to sow carrots, so as not to thin out, with the help of these devices, read on.
Soil preparation for sowing
In order to properly sow carrots, you must adhere to certain rules. One of them is preparing the soil for sowing a vegetable.
Planting carrots, their cultivation, care and harvesting is carried out in several stages:
- dig up the soil and loosen,
- fertilizers are applied to the place chosen for sowing,
- seed is sown,
- provide the vegetable proper watering,
- eliminate pests
- remove weeds and random plants from the row spacing,
First of all, they choose a plot in the garden where weeds do not grow well. In early April, you can already begin to arrange the beds:
- The soil is loosened.
- Then sand is added to the soil mixed with mineral fertilizers. All this needs to be done a few weeks before planting.
- After the emergence of seedlings, you need to wait a little until they get stronger.
- Then carrot gently thinned. This procedure is rather painstaking and complicated.
Pulling out of the ground one outlet, you can pull out several neighboring ones. Plants, after thinning become weak and may not reach the required quality and size. There are many ways to plant carrots so that they do not thin out.
How to sow carrots
Of course, it is best to purchase a manual seeder like "Maple-1" or "SMK-5", which greatly simplifies the process of planting. In addition, they plant seeds to a predetermined depth, distribute them evenly, forming seed in even rows. With the help of such aggregates, the process of planting is accelerated by several times, and the seeds are not damaged when sowing. However, the purchase of such "helpers" is not always possible, therefore, experienced gardeners and gardeners use their methods proven over the years.
Sowing with sand
The technology of this method is quite simple. Take carrot seeds and mix them with sand. Proportion - 1-2 tablespoons of seeds to half a bucket of sand. The resulting mixture is moistened with water and left for fifteen minutes.
While the mixture is "preparing" make grooves. Then they evenly pour out the sand mass and cover it with soil. Grooves slightly moisturize. This method, though not giving 100% of the result, but keeps in the ground a set of nutrients, moisture and heat.
With the help of paste
This method boils down to the following steps:
- a spoonful of wheat flour is dissolved in a liter of water,
- mix is boiled over low heat for 5-7 minutes,
- the resulting mass is removed from the heat and cooled to 30˚C,
- seeds are poured into the paste and mixed slightly,
- then the resulting mass is poured into a convenient container (plastic bottle, dipper with spout),
- thin paste is poured into prepared grooves.
Carrots, which were planted in this way, ripen quite early and differ juicy and tasty fruits.
Planting seeds in granules
This method is considered the simplest, for it does not need any special training or extras. Drainage seeds are used, which are covered with a special shell with nutrients.
The granules are laid out in the prepared groove in such a way that the distance between them is about 5-7 centimeters. Such sowing of seeds allows sprouting to ascend at the required distance from each other. Further thinning is no longer necessary.
In order to make the seedlings strong and healthy, it is necessary to buy seed only from reliable producers. These include "Agrico" and "SeDek." Most popular varieties:
Planting carrots using tape
For this method, use the materials at hand:
- toilet paper
- thin paper, the width of which is not more than 2 centimeters, and the length is equal to the length of the bed,
- special tape.
Prepared from starch and water paste. With it, the seeds are "glued" on the prepared tape. After the brewed paste has cooled, a small amount of fertilizer can be added to it. This will allow the seeds to get additional nutrients.
Planting technology on the tape.
- Paste is spotted on the prepared strip - the intervals between the droplets should be more than 2 centimeters,
- gently place the seeds of the vegetable on the paste drops,
- they make grooves on the garden and place tapes with planting material in them,
- from above all fall asleep ground and moistened.
After this method of planting carrots shoots appear after 7-10 days.
This method of planting carrot seeds is considered the most original. In winter, the seeds are placed in a bag made of natural material, which with the advent of spring "planted" in the hole. After 15-20 days sprouts appear. They are mixed with sand and planted in open ground.
After planting the seeds, the bed is covered with a film to protect the carrots from the cold of the night and ensure good shoots.
Carrots sown in this way - juicy and large. Harvest should be expected at the beginning or middle of the summer season. After his “laying” the bag in the ground, the place is marked to be easy to detect.
This method is also quite original. It is considered "grandfather", as it was widely distributed in the last century.
- Seeds are poured into a glass and filled with water.
- Mix gently with a wooden stick.
- Prepare on the bed grooves.
- Whoever sits, takes a liquid with seeds in his mouth and spits it out into the groove.
- The procedure continues until the full "planting" of seeds.
For this method take warm boiled water (not higher than 30 ˚C).
Using a strainer
This method can also be attributed to the "grandmother." For sowing vegetables take a strainer with which tea is brewed. Carrot seeds are poured into it. Leisurely striding along the bed, seeds poured into the grooves. Then the groove is covered with earth and moistened.
Instead of a strainer, you can use other "improvised devices" may be suitable:
- plastic bottle with holes
- saltcellar or pepper shaker,
It is important that the dimensions of the holes are suitable, the seeds must slip in them. You can not choose a colander with too large or small holes. In this case, plant the seeds in this way will not work.
Sowing soaked and germinated seeds
All the above methods require some skill and skill. The simplest methods include the use of sand or planting granulated seeds. The time spent on planting will be compensated for further care of the root crop, since it will not be necessary to do thinning.
You can also avoid thinning, if planted soaked or already germinated seeds.
The main problem with sowing carrots is that the dry and unprocessed seeds are very small. They are difficult to separate, and when sown in one place gets several grains at once. As a result, sprouts grow very closely, next to each other.
Experienced gardeners before sowing in advance soaked and germinated seed. To do this, carrot seeds are placed in a natural fabric and impregnated with slightly warm water or a special nutrient solution. So stand for several hours. Sunflower seeds swell, and their size becomes larger. Planted, such seeds will be much easier.
To get sprouted planting material, seeds are left in a humid environment until small sprouts appear. As soon as the sprouts “hatch”, they are placed in the refrigerator and kept for several days. This is done to temper the seed. Then germinated seeds are planted in the ground. This method of planting carrots helps to accelerate the emergence of the first shoots.
A completely unique way of planting vegetables is mixed sowing. The essence of this method is that before planting they take large river sand and mix it with the seeds of radish and carrots. The prepared substance is poured into the prepared grooves and covered with soil. Grooves watered.
Radish rises first. It ripens quickly and after harvesting there is a free place for the carrot seedlings. Due to the fact that the seeds were mixed - the sprouts do not grow very densely, and there is no need to thin them.
This method allows you to grow two vegetables at the same time. This is especially useful if the garden is small.
Seeds of carrots can be mixed with other early cultures. For example, with the seeds of leaf lettuce or spinach. It is important that the selected vegetables can rise and ripen before the carrot.
Of course, you can plant a root vegetable simply by sowing it in prepared grooves. However, in the future we will have to spend a lot of time and effort on thinning it. Gardeners with the experience try to get a manual seeder. This is especially convenient for those who grow vegetables in large areas.
Read more about it here:
Sowing soaked and germinated seeds
When planting dry seeds spread them evenly impossible, not all fall into the furrow, part of the wind blows. The shoots are equally uneven, they need thinning. Therefore, one of the methods of sowing carrots in order not to thin out is soaking and germinating seeds:
- seeds are soaked in water at room temperature (two hours is enough),
- laid out on a damp cloth and cover with damp paper or cloth,
- periodically wetted: the surface should not dry out,
- when the seedlings hatch, they perform a hardening procedure,
- seeds are placed in the fridge for 10 days, after which they can be sown in the garden. .
This is how dry carrot seeds look and need to be processed for better germination and uniform germination.
Plus way: shoots appear faster, and they can be planted more evenly.The disadvantage of the method is that the soil must be constantly moistened, otherwise small seedlings will wither.
Carrots grow well on nutrient soils, light in texture. Long varieties yield only this soil. On heavy and lumpy soil substrates, short and curved roots are obtained.
Sowing carrots in a pouch
This method is implemented during the melting of snow and the appearance of the first thaws. We moisten the seeds with water, pour it into a linen bag and drop it into a small depth pit dug on the spade bayonet. Fall asleep with a mixture of snow and earth. Seeds poke two weeks later. They are taken out and mixed with river sand, then scattered over the bed.
The bed is covered with a film for a good warm-up. Shoots can be seen after 6 days. They need to be carefully and uniformly tried to transplant in the quantity that is necessary.
- plus way: carrots ripen in the early stages, it is juicy and large, contains all the beneficial substances,
- minus method: when a sudden freeze the seeds can freeze, although they are quite resistant to cold.
Thinned and evenly spread carrot shoots
Sowing carrot seeds with sand
There is another way in which thinning can be avoided: pour two tablespoons of seeds onto a bucket of sand. The mixture should be moistened evenly, after which it is distributed into the grooves. We fall asleep with a small layer of earth and periodically water it. A good harvest awaits you: beautiful and leveled root vegetables.
There is an old, grandmother's way of sowing. In a jar of water pour seed. Then we take water with seeds in our mouths and scatter on the garden bed, as is done when ironing. Compared with dry planting, seedlings are much more aligned.
Planting with paste
Kleister is prepared using flour and water (spoon per liter). The composition must be brewed on a gentle fire, cool to 35 degrees and mix it with seeds. Carefully mixed composition pour a small stream in the grooves in the garden.
Advantages of this method:
- no need to thin out
- plants will not suffer fungal diseases,
- grow juicy and early products. .
Stick carrot seeds on sticky tape
A popular method that makes sowing much easier is to plant on a tape. You can buy adhesive tape, easy and do it yourself:
- We take paper (most often I use toilet paper), seeds and paste.
- Paper cut into strips whose width is 2 cm.
- Kleister prepare from a teaspoon of starch and a glass of water. When cooking, you can add a small amount of complex fertilizers or boric acid.
- We arrange the paste with droplets at a distance of approximately 2.5 cm, put a seed in each droplet. Tape dry.
- Then the ribbon with seeds is stretched into the prepared furrows and covered with a small layer of earth.
- After emergence of shoots, usual agrotechnical actions are carried out.
Seeds are applied to the tape evenly with a paste. In this form, the ribbons are placed on the beds and ground by dropping them.
The advantages of this method: the preparation for planting is carried out at home, which allows you to distribute the seeds neatly and evenly, they are spent more economically. The disadvantages of this method are: with a strong wind, the soil surface becomes bare, and the tape is on top of it, on the ground, because of which the germination falls.
Sowing with egg cells
Easy to use method, available even for a beginner. 2 paper cells for eggs are taken (for 30 pieces), they are invested one into the other for reliability and durability. Pressing with their help on a soft layer of earth mixture prepared in the garden, we get holes in which we put the seeds. The distance between the ascended plants will be the same, and the carrots will delight you with friendly rows of shoots.
- Advantages of the method: uniform landing.
- Disadvantages of the method: if the seeds do not grow, the bed will remain half empty.
To get a good harvest, you need to pick the appropriate seeds. Check the expiration date, the zoning of the variety. Give preference to seeds that have already been treated with fertilizer or seeds treated for diseases. Dredged seed is also preferred.
Use of seed pellets
Due to drazhirovaniya, carrot seed increases in size and is enveloped in a nutrient mixture. You can buy ready-made seeds covered with a thick shell. You can make these seeds yourself. The composition of the mass for coating seeds consists of a filler (humus), an adhesive and micronutrients.
The pelleted seeds are sown uniformly over equal distances. This method of sowing is convenient.
Tip # 1. The filler should be formed by small particles. The adhesive is mullein or starch paste.
- The mullein is diluted with water (1/10) and filtered through triple gauze. Add to it microfertilizers: salts of manganese, copper, zinc or boric acid.
- Seeds are slightly moistened with an adhesive layer, but so that they remain loose. Pour into a 3-liter jar.
- The filler is poured in small pieces, the jar is shaken so that the seeds are enveloped evenly.
- Conduct alternation: hydration and dusting. A thick shell forms around the seed.
- Drazhirovanie held until such time as the seeds become the right size (3-3,5 mm).
- Seal the seeds by rolling them in the jar again. So that they do not stick together, you can sprinkle them with wood ash. Dry in the shade, otherwise the shell will crack.
- You can sow immediately, but you can save until planting time.
Tip # 2. Seeds for drazhirovaniya pick clean and the same, with high germination, which is desirable to check in advance.
The advantages of this method: the seeds are large, each is convenient to take and plant in the right place. In addition, the seed is shrouded in useful substances, which protects against diseases and gives advantages in growth. For a while, the seeds do not need watering. Cons: if the seeds are not tested for germination, the bed can be half-empty.
Sow carrots: what you need to know
Vegetable planting in the spring. In order not to be late, you can focus on those who already have experience. On the lunar calendar, you should not navigate, it is better to look out the window and listen to weather forecasts. Выбирать для посадки нужно погожий ясный день. Дождливый день не подойдет. Тем, кто впервые сеет морковку, нужно непременно знать следующее:
- Желательно, чтобы семена находились на расстоянии друг от друга, потому что слишком густую посадку непременно придется прореживать,
- Carrots love well-dug, loosened and fertile soil, so before planting it makes sense to bring compost or humus into the ground,
- White or gray mold often appears on the vegetable, so it is very important to properly organize the drainage of the fluid and to prevent stagnant moisture in the soil,
- Carrots can be sown in the same place for several years in a row, yields will not suffer from this.
How to sow carrots: the choice of seeds and preparation for planting
The seed needs to be properly prepared for planting.. Preparing for planting is necessary before the onset of spring. Seeds intended for planting should be completely dry. Seeds need to be visually inspected for damage by pests and parasites. It is not recommended to store seeds in the basement or in other places where bugs, mice or rats are found. If the gardener uses its own seeds, you should try to select for planting seeds of larger size. The size of the seeds practically does not affect the yield, however, the larger the seeds, the more convenient it is to sow.
Since harvesting seeds at home is rather troublesome because of the small size of the seeds, many gardeners prefer to buy seeds in markets and shops.
Seeds intended for planting and purchased in a specialty store or on the market must meet the following requirements:
- Have a suitable expiration date. Seeds with expiry date can also be planted, but one hundred percent guarantee that all of them will germinate cannot be given,
- On the bag with seeds should be presented brief information about the variety: name and growing conditions, sometimes - a photo of carrots,
- The seeds should be brown, no gray or whitish plaque. Any plaque is a sign of mold that appears due to improper storage of seed,
- Seeds should be small enough.. If the seeds seem suspiciously large, it is quite possible that these are not carrot seeds, but another garden crop. In doubtful cases, a novice gardener is best to consult a seasoned gardener.
How to prepare the ground for planting carrots
To prepare the ground for planting carrots should be as follows:
- The ground should be well warmed up, so landing is best after lunch, in the afternoon,
- Land intended for planting must be carefully dug,
- From the ground you need to remove stones and other debris,
- With the help of pegs and rope, you should form even beds,
- Using a rake or other handy gardening tools, you need to make a neat furrow on each row. Then in this furrow will need to sow the seeds. The furrow should be flat and not too deep. If the furrow is too deep, the carrot may not rise.
How to sow carrots, so as not to thin out
If properly sown, thinning carrots will not have to. There are many tricks that gardeners use in order not to injure seedlings by thinning.
The simplest method from time immemorial was used by Russian peasants. To do this, take an empty glass jar with a volume of one liter or one and a half liters.
Water should be poured into the jar at room temperature so that about three-quarters of the jar is filled with water. After that, you need to carefully open the bags of seeds and pour the seeds into a jar filled with water.
Then the fun begins, because from the side this method of landing looks quite funny. A gardener goes to the garden with a can in his hands, opens the can, collects water in his mouth, in which seeds float, and sprays this water on the furrow with his mouth. It is necessary to spit out water quickly and evenly, in sharp movements, in the same way as water is sprayed from the mouth onto the fabric when ironing is done. If you sow carrots in this original way, the seeds are distributed evenly. The main thing is to spit precisely into the furrow, without getting beyond its limits.
You can use another way, it is a bit more troublesome, but effective. A tablespoon of carrot seeds is mixed with a large amount of river sand, then some water is added to this mixture, and the prepared composition is applied to the furrows intended for planting. After that, carrots sprout well, and thinning it, as a rule, is not necessary.
How to thin carrot
If, nevertheless, despite all efforts, the carrots have risen very thickly, thinning is necessary. Carrots do not like crowded. If it grows very well and densely, it begins to bloom later, and the roots are very small, underdeveloped or deformed. It is necessary to act very carefully during thinning in order not to damage the delicate young carrot. Thinning is best done by hand., gently pulling from the ground extra tops.
With one hand you need to hold the tops of the base, and the other hand gently pull it out of the ground.
During thinning, do not use hoes, hoes and other tools, as there is a risk of damaging the root system of carrots that are not subject to thinning. As a result of thinning the gardener should get a neat garden bed with carrots, in which the plants are planted one by one, at a sufficient distance from each other. This bed is very convenient to weed, it is also convenient to carry out feeding and loosening. When the carrot is planted rarely enough, the root crop develops normally, and the vegetable itself is large, has a beautiful color, regular shape, high taste.
What carrot is best to sow and how to get a good harvest
In order for the carrot to be happy with the harvest, it is necessary to choose the right varieties suitable for a particular region. It is necessary to choose a variety so that it not only grows well, but is also resistant to diseases and pests. Vegetable is often affected by white and gray rot, so it is best to acquire varieties that are immune to fungal diseases and viral infections.
In Russia, derived a huge number of different varieties of carrots. When choosing varieties for planting, it is necessary to be guided not only by the beautiful picture on the package, but also by the properties of this variety.
Carrots are very susceptible to pests and parasites.For example, to a carrot fly. Pests actively destroy carrot tops, and this can lead to the death of plants. In order to scare off pests, you can use the old grandmother's method: sprinkle the beds with ashes. Ash not only scares off harmful insects, but also contains a lot of potassium, so it is an excellent mineral fertilizer. Carrots love it when fed cow dung, bred in the right proportions.
Can be used as a top dressing and crushed in the smallest powder egg shells. Eggshells are rich in calcium, and calcium is essential for carrots to properly form root crops. Watering is best done in the evening. If you carry out watering on a hot day, the moisture dries quickly, and not having time to soak into the ground. The ideal time for watering in the summer is after five in the evening.
Those who plant carrots correctly using little tricks, in the end gets a good harvest. It is quite possible to get rid of the annoying thinning, the main thing is to work out the planting procedure to automaticity. Experienced gardeners do an excellent job with this task and end up with a beautiful, healthy carrot, which has high taste qualities and contains a large amount of useful vitamins. Planting carrots is easy. The main thing is to have a skill.
Why thin out carrots
The main causes of thinning of root crops:
- densely planted carrots do not allow all fruits to grow and fully develop,
- with close planting in the process of growth, the roots are intertwined and do not receive the required amount of nutrients,
- the distance between plants affects the size of the fruit (the larger it is, the smoother and larger the root crop),
- it is necessary to partially remove diseased and weak plants.
Soaking and germination of seeds
A great alternative to planting dry seed is soaking and germination:
- soak the seeds for several hours in room temperature water,
- Soaked seed spread on a damp cloth,
- wet surface is regularly wetted so that it does not dry out,
- With the advent of seedlings, the seeds need to be hardened: we leave the seed in the refrigerator for 10-12 days, after which we plant in the beds.
Using adhesive tape
Tape landing is another easy way to get a rich carrot harvest. Seed Adhesive Tape Today, sowing seeds with carrot seeds glued to them are sold in some stores for gardeners. The technology of landing in this way is simple: we stretch the tape along the prepared bed, and then we sprinkle it with a dense layer of soil. When the first shoots appear, we care about watering and weeding the beds.
Sowing in the bag
From the moment when the snow begins to melt, it is necessary to find a place on the site where you can dig a shallow hole and leave a bag of linen with carrot seeds in it. After half a month, when they begin to hatch, we take them out of the bag, mix them with a small amount of sand and scatter this mixture along the furrows. Then we cover the plot with beds of film. After about a week, shoots will appear that can be planted in open soil. This method allows you to get an early harvest, and root crops save a lot of nutrients.
Use of paste
Uniform planting of carrots can be achieved by mixing the seed with a simple paste. For its preparation you will need a container in which we pour a tablespoon of flour and pour in one liter of boiling water, and then mix it thoroughly so that there are no lumps. When the mixture has cooled, add the right amount of seeds to it and mix again. Due to this, the grains in the paste will be evenly distributed, will not stick together and will be visible when sowing.
Plaster pour into the bottle, close the lid with a small hole and evenly squeeze the mixture into the grooves, sprinkle with soil and pour. In a nutrient medium, seedlings sprout faster and are not very thick.
VIDEO: HOW TO PREPARE A GLOSS FOR CARROT LANDING
Sowing seeds on toilet paper
The method of sowing root crops on toilet paper is similar to the method using a special adhesive tape, only in this case, everything can be done independently.
Seeding technology is as follows:
- Toilet paper is cut into flat strips with a width of 20-25 mm.
- To fix the seeds on paper, we use a dense paste prepared from water and starch in the ratio: 1 teaspoon of starch is taken for 1 cup of water.
- We spread the adhesive mixture on paper and glue the seeds at the same distance from each other.
- When the paste dries, we roll the paper into a roll.
- Immediately before disembarking, we make grooves with a depth of 25-30 mm and lay out paper tapes. Then we fall asleep them with soil and we water.
VIDEO: TECHNOLOGY OF SEEDING SEEDS ON TOILET PAPER
More and more fans are conquering the method of sowing seeds without thinning - coating. To use it, you need to purchase coated seeds. Due to the technological processing, each seed is covered with a hard shell, which consists of a dry hydrogel and fertilizer. Each dragee has a bright color to make it easier to control the process of sowing.
To plant carrots in the garden in this way, every 8-10 cm we make grooves 20-25 mm deep and throw 1-2 dragees into them. Then we fill them with earth, we water. Experienced farmers have found an alternative to coating. They advise to prepare at home a mixture of soaked seed and dried, chopped mullein in the ratio of 1: 4. Carrot Seeds Granules
The seeder for carrot seeds is made by hand with a plastic bottle. To do this, it cuts a small hole in the size of the seed.
Thanks to a home-made planter, you can quickly sow the beds, but you need to be prepared for the fact that the seedlings will be thick, because it is difficult to control the number of falling out seeds.
Boxes of toothpicks, salt shakers, strainer
To facilitate sowing, they also use boxes for toothpicks, salt shakers, and a strainer. These available tools already have holes that help evenly distribute the seeds of root crops. But, as in the case of homemade planters, gardeners are difficult to control the number of seeds that fall into the groove. With the advent of the first shoots, you need to see if they are too thick and thin out in time if necessary.
The originality and simplicity of the different method using cells for eggs. For sowing roots will need two paper cells, designed for thirty eggs. For the strength of the structure, we put one cell in another and apply it to the loosened soil. Equal wells are obtained in which we place the seed and provide further care.
For dosed sowing of seeds, use a special device - a seeder. It is a two-wheel design with a capacity for seeds. It works according to the following algorithm:
- there are spikes on the front wheel that make furrows,
- from the hole in the tank falls a number of seeds,
- another smooth wheel aligns and rams the bed.
The main mistakes when sowing carrots
Not only beginners, but also experienced gardeners make mistakes when sowing root crops and cannot find an explanation for a poor harvest. Consider the main mistakes when sowing carrots.
- Sowing with dry seeds is a simple and effortless method that involves late, uneven, thickened shoots.
- Poor thinning of crops, which is explained by the desire to get more yield. Due to this, there will be more root vegetables, but in size they will be small.
- Wrong selection of plants for mixed crops.
- Using the method of adhesive tape, it is not compacted as it should, but only instilled. As a result, during windy weather, the tape is on the ground surface, and the seeds that have begun to germinate dry up.
Cultivation tips and crop care tips
To grow a good harvest, you should follow these tips:
- water the beds regularly, at least two or three times a week,
- often loosen the soil and pour carrots on the ground,
- as necessary to produce weeding,
- monitor the condition of the carrot, in time to respond to the appearance of insect pests.
Feedback from network users
Pasted to tape. In the winter. Together with the children ... petty tedious work ... I am tired and there is no longer any desire to repeat.
Bought on tape. Yes, they come up with “holes” ... onion sets and then stuck into them)))
They sowed, mixing with sand, and even with such a special seeder, which seemed to spit them out in doses ... all the same, thickened.
Just sown on the sand. Thinned 2 times. Nothing wrong. So I will sow this year, without problems.
Well, the tape is still, bed, do not disappear as good
Planting Carrot Seed
One of the old methods that our grandmothers used. But today this method is applied and even has some success. A few seeds are taken into a pinch and sown by wells at a distance of 10 cm from each other. Shoots appear also in bunches.
You can get a sufficient amount of fruit with quality planting material. First, use grown, large root vegetables. The rest in the meantime are growing up, as free space becomes more. Plants do not need to thin out, and the root system of other root crops remains intact. .
Crops carrots alternate with onions. They are alternated by rows. Already green onion feathers "show" where the carrot tops appear. Therefore, the method is called "beacon". They protect each other from pests: carrot and onion flies.
Mixed crops are often beneficial for both crops, as in this crop carrots get along well with onions.
How to plant carrots with tape?
Toilet paper, special tape, loose paper up to 2 cm wide and the length of the whole bed - these are the materials at hand that can be used for planting carrots in this case. Seeds are applied to them with a paste made from water and starch.. If desired, a little fertilizer can be added to the adhesive to provide seed flow of nutrients.
Plant carrots on the tape should be like this: put a paste on the stripes dotted (space should be more than 2 cm). Then put carrot seeds on them. Make furrows on the bed and place the ribbons in them, cover with soil and moisten. Всходы в этом случае появятся где-то через 7-10 дней.
Это один из самых оригинальных способов посадки овощной культуры. Выполнять его нужно так: зимой поместить семена в холщовый или полотняный мешочек, весной перенести их, не вынимая, в небольшую яму. Within 2-3 weeks sprouts will appear, which can be mixed with sand and moved to open ground.
Germinated carrot seeds in a pouch
Cover the garden bed with a film so that the carrots do not die due to night frosts and sprout well. Tuber crops grown by this method are quite large, juicy, early (the harvest will be in the middle or early summer). It is saturated with a large number of useful elements and can be stored for a long time.
How to plant using a strainer
This is another "grandmother's" method of sowing vegetables. For sowing, you need to take a strainer designed for brewing tea, pour the seeds into it and, walking along the beds, pour them into the grooves. Sprinkle the grains with earth and moisten with a watering can.
It is very convenient to plant carrots using the salt shaker.
The conclusion of the quick ways of planting carrots without thinning
Plant carrots can be simply throwing its seeds in the grooves. But if you want to do without thinning in the future, you can resort to tricks - try to use either a manual seeder, if you have a large section, or one of the available materials at hand described in the article. The simplest of these is the use of sand or granulated seeds. Of course, in some cases, without additional costs and special training will not work, but the waste will be compensated for by the time that will be saved on thinning.
Devices for sowing seeds in the row
For sowing seeds, apply seed drills that can dose out seeds at the place of sowing. Using these devices, you can achieve uniform and amicable seedlings. And, hence, getting leveled and large products.
Manual Household Planters
- front wheel with spikes makes grooves,
- through the lumen in the bunker the seeds fall into the groove,
- the rear wheel is flat, it tamps the bed.
Modern planters are also two- and three-row, have additional containers for the use of fertilizers.
Principle of operation: a certain number of seeds is squeezed into the grooves made in advance.
To prevent the seed from being carried by the wind, the planter is kept at a height of 5 cm.
Industrial planters designed for sowing seeds in large areas.
Errors gardeners when sowing carrots
Many beginners, and gardeners with experience make mistakes when planting carrots. And then they are surprised at low yield and crooked root crops. With what it can be connected?
- Sowing dry seeds, as the easiest and not requiring any effort method. Shoots appear late, they are uneven, often thickened.
- It happens that crops are poorly thinned, explaining that this way you can get more yield. Yes, there will be more carrots, but you cannot call it large.
- When using seeds on a tape, it is buried, but not compacted. In windy weather, the tape is on the surface, and the seeds that start to germinate dry out.
- When mixed crops pick the plants wrong. Scientists have proven that not all cultures “feel good” next to each other.
- If the seedlings are uneven, try to replant small plants. Carrots, like beets, take root poorly (50/50).
The most common questions asked by gardeners
Question number 1. I prefer to combine cultures in the garden. What plants are better for planting carrots?
It is believed that carrots and peas are good for each other. It is also very popular to grow carrots with onions, which protect each other from pests.
Question number 2. I did not have time to plant the carrot seeds on time. I planted at the end of May. Will the roots grow?
Yes, they will have time, if the varieties are early or the seeds are germinated. In the case of germinated seeds, do not forget about regular watering, otherwise tender seedlings will wither.
Question number 3. How to water newly planted seeds?
Watering is not necessary seeds, and grooves, in which you will sow carrots. If you water from above, the seeds will go deep into loose soil and they simply “do not have enough strength” to germinate.
Question number 4. How to get an early harvest of carrots, given that it comes up two weeks?
For early harvest, you need to do podzimny sowing. The bed is prepared, as usual, slightly lifting it above the ground. Make fertilizer, make grooves. Give time to soil slightly rammed. Sow in early November already in the frozen ground. Use seeds of early varieties. This method is not suitable for northern areas.
Question number 5. I made several beds for vegetable crops in the garden, including carrots. Root crops grew short and not sweet.
Carrots belong to the light-loving cultures. She especially needs light at the beginning of growth. In addition, do not forget about crop rotation. Tomatoes, cabbage, and legumes are good predecessors of carrots.
Methods of planting carrots without thinning a lot. Choose one that is comfortable and suits you. And then a tasty and healthy root vegetable will not leave your table.
Plant carrots in the right way.
Is sowing as follows. Two weeks before the estimated sowing date, it is necessary to wrap the carrot seeds in a piece of cotton fabric. Wrap the seeds should not be too tight, but so that they lie loose. Then the bundle should be buried in damp ground about the bayonet of a garden shovel. It is necessary to choose a place for burying a knot with carrots as high as possible on the site so that water does not stand there.
While the seeds are in the soil, essential oils evaporate from them, which interfere with germination - they swell and become large.
After this period, the nodule is required to dig out and pour the seeds into a low pot, where they should be slightly powdered with potato starch. At the same time, the seeds cease to stick to the fingers and, moreover, become clearly visible on dark and moist ground.
Next, it remains only to gently spread the carrot seeds along the grooves with the required spacing (about three centimeters between the seeds) and sprinkle with sand or dry soil.
Carrots sprout literally five days after sowing. And without any time consuming irrigation, which can also create a crust, through which the carrot will make its way with great difficulty.
By the way, in the same way you can prepare parsley seeds for sowing.