The grade was widely adopted in the territory of Russia. This beauty grows in the Krasnodar and Stavropol Territories, the Lower Volga region and Kalmykia, Rostov and Astrakhan regions.
The height of the pear tree varieties Favorite Clappa does not exceed four meters, the plant belongs to the middle-grown plants.
The young tree is actively growing. In the second half of life, the crown develops, during this period it acquires a wide rounded shape.
Pear tree Favorite Clapp is able to bear fruit in any type of soil and tolerate low temperatures and drought. The average lifespan of a plant is 55 years, the maximum lifespan is 80 years.
Fruit trees of this type are endowed with elegant foliage, this fact is crucial when choosing a variety. Lush shiny foliage capable of decorating any garden plot.
The plant becomes especially attractive in spring, during its flowering period.
Klapp's favorite is one of the best summer varieties of pears, distinguished by unpretentiousness, able to bear fruit in any type of soil.
Fruits of a grade the Favorite Klapp of an average and large form, weighing from 110 to 250 grams, and large pears usually grow on young trees. The older the tree, the smaller its fruit.
The egg-shaped fruit has a somewhat elongated shape. The skin is tender and smooth with small tubercles. Mature pear becomes yellowish, on the sunny side a light blush is allowed. The stem of a pear is short, thickened at the base.
Pear fruits are very juicy. They have a light aroma and sweet-sour taste. Due to the remarkable taste, pear is usually consumed raw, at the same time, it is harvested for the winter: canned and dried.
For the manufacture of dried fruits take fruits in the initial stage of development. Ripe fruits in torn form are stored from 10 days up to two weeks.
Advantages and disadvantages
Variety Favorite Clapp has a number of advantages, thanks to which gardeners prefer this type of pears. The advantages of the variety:
- unpretentiousness to a type of soil,
- the ability to bear fruit for several decades,
- frost resistant
- juicy fruits with high technical characteristics.
Along with the pros, variety has some disadvantagesamong which should be noted such factors:
- pear trees of this variety are prone to scab,
- ripe fruits are stored for long,
- the fruits are not firmly attached, so sometimes the fruits fall.
As already mentioned, the plant is unpretentious and can grow in any soil. but a light wet soil would be preferable. The soil should pass air and moisture well.
therefore they must grow in sunny areasIt is important that the air is not excessively humid.
Saplings for planting choose strong and healthy. The trunk and branches of the tree must be elastic, and the root system developed: long, branched. Dead roots before planting pruned to a living place.
The Klappa Favorite pear can be planted both in autumn and spring, on the sunny side of the plot.
The trees can be planted both in spring and in autumn, while for spring planting soil is prepared in advance - in the fall. The spring disembarkation begins at the end of April and may continue until early May.
The soil must first be treated accordingly:
- The top fertile layer is removed from the pit.
- The land taken out of the pit needs to be mixed with organic fertilizers, for this case, manure, peat, compost will do. Mineral fertilizers (potash-phosphate) and wood ash are also added there.
- The resulting mixture is poured back into the pit to the very edge.
Sapling deepen into the pit so that its root neck rises above the ground by 3 cm. The procedure for planting seedlings will be as follows:
- At the bottom of the pit place the soil in the form of a small mound.
- The seedling is lowered into the pit.
- Roots carefully spread on a mound.
- Pour out the remaining soil.
- Ram and slap.
- Around the barrel to form a circular roller of the earth.
- Pour water, you will need two buckets.
- Mulch the land.
- Tie a seedling to a peg.
Pear seedlings are very sensitive, in the process of transplanting they may die, so this the procedure must be carried out with all care.
That the pear well fruited, she will need appropriate care. The plant must be fed regularly, water, carry out preventive procedures to combat diseases and pests.
From the very first days after planting, young trees will need to take care. As soon as the tree gets stronger and rooted, make the first feeding.
In adult trees, the root system lies deeper, so the fertilizer is applied in a different way. For this, wells are made at some distance from the plant, and fertilizer is poured into them.
Pear fertilizer requires nitrogen fertilizers in spring. If the weather is dry and warm fertilizer can be sprayed crown, on rainy days, fertilizer is applied to the wells.
This kind of fertilizer will be needed by the plant until mid-summer, then potassium and phosphorus are required.
Klapp's Favorite Pears are fed with phosphorus-potassium and nitrogenous fertilizers.
To protect the tree from frost, need to form a crown. The main actions should be aimed at somewhat limiting the growth of the tree - it should not grow tall.
To this end, three to four years after landing you will need to remove central conductor at the level above the third tier of branches.
In consequence, it will be necessary to cut branches vertically emanating from the center. In this way, tree height is limited to 2 meters.
Pear Clappa's pet is drought tolerantand yet it requires regular watering. For one tree will need up to ten liters of water. Watering is done every three weeks.
Fruit plant will need to be watered three times during the season. Under one tree leaves up to 50 liters of water. It will depend on the number of fruits. Watering produce:
- during flowering,
- during the pouring of the fruit,
- during fruit ripening.
Pear Tree Favorite Clapp prone to scab. Therefore, gardeners will have to take preventive measures.
To prevent the appearance of scab, in the spring, immediately after the snow melt, as well as two or three times in the summer will be required to process trees Bordeaux mixture.
The interval between procedures should be at least four weeks.
Besides, pear also exposed to other hazards:
- fruit rot,
- black fungus (black bloom on the leaves),
- rust (stains on the leaves, resembling rust),
- mealy bloom.
Fungal Disease - Rust, is a common ailment among this type of pear. As prevention and treatment, the plant is treated with Bordeaux mixture.
If the disease has already begun, the affected leaves should be collected and burned in the area farther from the garden.
In order to reduce the risk of developing this disease, it is important remove all juniper from the garden plot. It often develops this ailment, it can go to fruit trees.
Fruit Rot and Powdery Mildew process with chorus.
Klapp's Favorite variety is prone to scab, fruit rot, rust, powdery mildew, and black fungus
Pears begin to bear fruit in the seventh year after planting and give a stable harvest for 60-80 years. From one tree for a season it is possible to collect up to 300 kilograms.
To prevent the fetus from damaging during storage, the stalk must be preserved. Put the pears in clean tara. Keep the crop in a ventilated dry room.
It is worth recalling that the shelf life of pears of this type is short. Pear refers to the summer varieties. Damaged fruits are not subject to storage.
Many gardeners prefer pear Klapp's favorite because it is unpretentious plant. The gardener's feedback on the fruit of pears is positive, pears are juicy, attractive in appearance and have a wonderful taste.
Despite the fact that fresh fruit is not stored for long, pears make perfect compotes and preserves.
According to reviews of gardeners, pear Klapp's pet is on the list of the best varieties of pears grown in Russia.
Pear Clappa's pet is appreciated for its attractive appearance and excellent taste. Saturated and taste and delicate aroma makes it a favorite of adults and children.
Pear trees of this variety have several advantages, they are hardy and are not afraid of drought, thanks to such qualities, the variety has gained popularity among gardeners all over the world.
Description of the pear Klapp's favorite. In which regions is available cultivation (including Moscow region)
Clapp's favorite is a pear of American origin, bred in 1860 by T. Clapp in 1860. There are two assumptions regarding the origin of the variety. According to the first, it was obtained on the basis of the seeds of the Forest Beauty. The second version shows that Clapp Favorite appeared as a result of spontaneous crossing with Williams pear. Since the mid-twentieth century, culture has been cultivated in Russia, Moldova, Ukraine, Belarus, Central Asia and the Baltic states.
Important! This variety is also known as Clapp Favorite.
The following features of this variety can be distinguished:
- The tree can have both medium and large sizes (4–6 m), which depends on the growing conditions. Young pear has a rapid pace of development.
- Crohn medium thick, wide, round shape. Shoots hanging down, thick, dark brown. The angle of discharge from the trunk corresponds to 45 °. Branch is weak.
- The trunk is covered with flaking bark, and on skeletal shoots it is smooth, painted gray with a brown tinge. Wood is fragile. Most of the ovaries are formed on kolchatkah and to a small extent on the fruit sprigs.
- The leaves are of medium size oval or epileptic, narrowed at the base, the ends are pointed. Along the edges is finely serrate serrations. The outer side of the plates is shiny, no pubescence.
- The flowers are large, painted white, form about six inflorescences.
- Fruits are elongated egg-shaped. Their weight varies from 140 to 230 g. The largest pears ripen on young plants. The surface is knobby, the peel is smooth. At the ripening stage, the fruits have a yellowish-green color, ripe pears are colored yellow. A bright blush appears on the lighted side.
- Fruits are covered with small, inconspicuous subcutaneous spots. Some pears form small spots that resemble rust. The tasting score is 4.8 points out of 5.
- The funnel is small, in some cases completely absent. The stems are slightly curved, thickened at the base. The cup is open, the saucer is small, narrow. Seed chambers are brown and medium in size, seeds are also small. The flesh is cream-colored, juicy with a sweet-sour taste.
The variety is resistant to adverse climatic factors. For Pet Klapp characterized by high winter hardiness and drought tolerance. It withstands temperatures up to -30–35 ° С. This allows you to grow a culture, in particular, in the territory of the Moscow region. Based on Klapp Favorite, 20 new varieties are bred. Life expectancy of this pear is from 50 to 70 years.
Flowering and fruiting
The tree blooms in medium terms, long and abundantly, the flowers are white, large, gathered in inflorescences of 6-7 pieces. Fruits are most often tied on kolchatka, less often - on fruit twigs.
Pear Klapp's favorite is self-productive, needs pollinators for regular harvesting. For this purpose, summer varieties of pears of Pan, Williams, Ilinka, autumn Forest Beauty, Bere Ligel, Bere Bosc, Bere Boyek, Bere Giffard or winter Saint Germain, Olivier de Serre, Deanke Winter are planted for this purpose.
Klapp's favorite is non-quick: begins to bear fruit on the 7th and 8th year after disembarkation. Trees regularly produce generous yields. In late July or early August, the fruits ripen. It is recommended to harvest the crop 10 days before full ripening: ripe fruit on the branches do not hold well and quickly fall off. So that during storage the fruit is not damaged, it is necessary to preserve the peduncle.
The yield of the variety Klappa Favorite depends on climatic conditions. On average, about 300 kg of pears can be harvested from a single tree per season. The removable maturity in the conditions of Kuban comes July 28-August 8, in the mountainous area the fruits ripen in the second decade of August.
Pears of this breeding on average live about 55 years, the maximum lifespan is 80 years. The collected fruits are stored at a temperature of 0 degrees for no more than 14-20 days, with a plus their storage period is reduced. The collected pears are placed in a clean container, stored in a dry ventilated room. Damaged fruits are not suitable for storage. Transported fruit is quite good.
Appointment of fruit varieties Favorite Clapp universal. They are suitable for fresh consumption, drying, canning. Compotes and dried fruits from ripe pears are estimated on a tasting scale of 4 points out of 5.
Fruit tree Favorite Klapp intensively grows and develops under the following conditions:
- The plant prefers moist lightweight soil, it does not suit too wet, salty and clay soils.
- In areas with a close location of groundwater seedlings rooting is not recommended.
- Trees are best planted in the southern, western or south-western part of the garden.
- All year round, especially in the summer, a tree needs a lot of sun.
- A pear tree does not tolerate icy air, drafts and gusts of the north wind.
- Ideally planted plants in the fall, before the onset of frost.
- For planting in the open ground suitable seedlings at the age of 1-2 years with elastic healthy roots.
- Before planting, seedlings must be added to the pit mixed with sand humus, rich in superphosphates and potassium fertilizer.
How to plant Favorite Clapp?
Pear planting scheme (photo):
Pear seedlings are planted in a prepared hole measuring 80x80x80 cm. If the tree has strong roots, the depth may be greater. It is necessary to establish a sapling with an offset of 30-35 cm from the center of the hole. Part of the soil is mixed with fertilizer and fall asleep at the bottom of the hole to form a hill.
The tree is placed in it and buried, so that a neck protrudes 5 cm above the ground. The plant is recommended to fall asleep mixed with fertilizer primer. Immediately after planting, the tree requires abundant watering (20-30 liters of water) and mulching with manure of the forest zone.
During the first weeks after the landing of the pear, it is necessary to ensure that the earth does not subside and, as necessary, add it. For this variety of pears, sinking of the ground can lead to drying of the roots and death of the plant.
Possible diseases and their treatment
Pear tree Favorite Klapp is not highly resistant to scab, so gardeners are taking measures to prevent this disease. In the spring, immediately after the snow melted, and in the summer (2-3 times) the trees are treated with a 1% solution of the Bordeaux mixture. There should be at least 4 weeks between treatments.
Fruit tree is subject to rust - a fungal disease common among pears of this species. For treatment and prophylaxis, trees are treated with Bordeaux mixture (1% solution).
Affected leaves are harvested and burned in an area away from the garden. To reduce the risk of developing this disease from the garden area, it is important to remove all juniper, which often develops ailment.
Powdery mildew and fruit rot are treated with Chorus (2 g per 10 liters of water). With timely treatment, the plant will be well prepared for the winter and will bring healthy fruit.
Timely full care has a positive effect on the quantity and quality of the fruit, protects the plant from pests and diseases.
Young trees require care from the first days after planting. The first dressing is done as soon as the seedling is rooted and strengthened. In the fall, organic or phosphorus-potassium fertilizers are placed around the tree.
Mature trees, the root system of which lies deeper, are fertilized in a different way: at some distance from the plant, wells are made into which the diluted fertilizers are poured.
In the spring and to the middle of the summer, the pear requires nitrogenous fertilizers with which it is possible to spray the crown in warm, dry weather. In the rainy period to make them better in the wells. From the middle of summer, the tree needs phosphorus and potassium.
Pear Klappa's favorite is recommended to be watered using sprinkling technology. If there is no such possibility, watering is carried out, gradually filling the ditch with water (at the rate of 20 liters per 1 square meter of the forest surface). In order to prevent the soil from crusting, liquid and oxygen were supplied to the root system, after watering it is loosened.
The tree is watered thrice a year:
- during flowering,
- when pouring fruit
- when ripe crop.
Периодичность полива в засушливое лето увеличивается. With increasing tree age, the frequency of watering is reduced, but the volume of water is increased.
Trimming and preparation for winter
Twice a year - before the start of sap flow in the spring and before the onset of cold weather in the fall - it is recommended to thin out the tree crown and remove dry branches. The lower branches and vertical shoots of pears of this variety are removed, young shoots are shortened. Places pruning treated garden pitch.
Before the frosts begin, all fruits should be removed from the pear, cleaned from the fallen leaves and rotten fruit of the trunk area, cut off the damaged and dry branches.
In case of partial damage to the bark, it is carefully removed, the damaged areas are treated with a 1% solution of copper sulphate and garden pitch. At the final stage of preparation for the winter, the plant is treated with a solution of urea (a matchbox of 10 liters of water) to protect against scab.
Planting and care
For planting, choose a well-drained, fertile soil. The plot on which the tree will be planted should be sunny and protected from strong wind.
Tree care tips:
- Watering. Since the pear tolerates drought well, you can water the trees about 3-4 times a year. It is especially important to moisten the soil during flowering, fruit setting and fruit ripening. But if spring and summer are very dry, the tree should be watered as needed or moistened with a spray bottle.
- Soil care. The soil under the tree must be promptly removed from weeds and regularly loosen.
- Pruning. Pruning should be carried out in the fall and spring. In the spring, before the buds appear, you need to form a crown and remove the damaged branches. At a time you can cut no more than 1/4 of the length of the branches. In the autumn it is necessary to carry out sanitary pruning, during which all broken and dried branches are removed.
- Preparing for the winter. Variety Pear Klappa pear has good frost resistance, and to warm it, there is no need. To ensure a good winter for the tree, it is necessary to remove all remaining fruits from the tree, and those that have rotted have been damaged by insects and suffered from diseases. It is important to spray a tree with 5% urea solution, so you will save it from scab. To protect the tree from rodents, it is worth wrapping the trunk with metal mesh or tar-impregnated sacking.
- Top dressing. Fertilize pear begin the next year after planting. In autumn, the pear must be fed with organic fertilizers, such as manure, humus and peat. Also as a feed you can use fertilizers, which include potassium and phosphorus. During the period of autumn digging of the tree circle, the soil should be fertilized with superphosphates and potassium chloride.
Different varieties of pears: video
Pear Klapp's pet, has long enjoyed tremendous success with many gardeners. This variety is not without flaws, but they will be compensated by such positive qualities as good yield, excellent frost resistance and excellent taste. If the tree is provided with proper attention and proper care, it will delight you with an excellent harvest of fragrant and juicy fruits over the years.
Description of the cultivar
Pear Favorite Clapp received the name by the name of the originator - the American breeder T. Clapp. The exact origin of the variety is not established. Experts suggest that in the process of hybridization of the Forest Beauty, from the seed of which the Favorite was grown, the variety Williams took part. Seedling obtained in Massachusetts in the middle of the XIX century. Testing in Russia began in 1947. It is recommended to cultivate Klapp's Favorite (Favorite) in Kaliningrad, Central and North Caucasus region.
Pear has spread widely throughout Europe, Moldova, Central Asia, and Ukraine. It is cultivated on an industrial scale and grown on private farmsteads.
Pear Trees Favorite Clappa belongs to vigorous pears. With the crown of the seedling as it grows, visible changes occur - from the pyramid it turns into a sprawling, rounded. An adult tree has inherent hanging branches that look like willow branches. The arrangement of skeletal branches at an angle of 45⁰ and the low thickening of the crown facilitate the care of the culture. The wood stump at Pet is easy to peel off. Skeletal shoots are strong, weakly branching, covered with gray-brown bark. The type of fruiting is kolchatochny, but the ovary is present on the fruit twigs. Trees live up to 50-70 years. Beauty and become a pear completely conveys the following photo.
Shoots with short internodes are long and straight. The bark color is dark brown with a pronounced purple tint. The leaves sit on long petioles, have an oval shape with a pointed end, sawed edge. The color of the leaf plate is dark green, glossy. In the spring the tree is covered with umbrellas from 6-7 large white flowers.
Klapp's pet is not able to pollinate its own pollen, that is, it is self-fertile. To get a harvest, gardeners plant pollinators, in the role of which Williams, Forest Beauty, Olivier de Serres, Pan, Dekan, Bere Bosc, Ilinka have shown themselves to be good.
The following characteristic is inherent in the Favorite Clapp Fruits:
- Medium to large size. Weight 150-170 g, but on young trees there are specimens weighing up to 230 g.
- Fruits are short pear-shaped with hilly surface. Fruits are attached with thick, inclined stalks, prone to shedding after full ripening.
- The thin smooth skin during the period of removable maturity is colored green-yellow, which, as it matures, becomes a uniform golden color. In the ripe fruit of Klapp's favorite pear, the sunny side is covered with a thick dark red tan, on which small subcutaneous freckles are almost invisible. Rustiness is rare, expressed in small areas.
- The cut is white, replete with juice. Pulp melting delicate texture with a slight aroma. The sugar content of 8.3% makes the taste balanced wine-sweet. Evaluation of tasters was 4.7 points.
- The harvest period is at the beginning of August. Fruits are stored for up to 15 days, tolerate transportation well.
- Pears are eaten fresh, compotes, jams, and dried fruits are prepared.
Klapp's favorite is a pear, prone to rapid ripening followed by shedding of fruits. Gardeners recommend harvesting 7-10 days before ripening.
Features planting pear tree
Pear trees develop quickly, so they should be planted immediately to a permanent place. How to perform landing Favorite Clapp, described in this section of the article.
Fruit crops in a harsh climate are planted in early spring. Such a period allows the seedling to take root in a new place in order to easily transfer the first wintering. Autumn planting is preferred in the south of Russia. Warm long autumn contributes to the rapid rooting of the plant. In Central Russia, the pear variety, the Favorite Klappa, is allowed to be planted in spring or autumn. In the second variant, the planting is carried out until mid-September, so that the plant has enough time for rooting.
Site preparation, planting technology
Pear Favorite Clapp loves well-lit areas, easily tolerates gusts of wind. Put it near the buildings is optional. The occurrence of groundwater near the surface, stony ground - contraindications for planting trees at a selected location. The aquifer should not be located above 2.5 m from the surface of the site. Otherwise, the pear may die from rotting roots.
Loose nourishing loams that retain moisture well are optimal for American culture. Avoid planting near mountain ash, because plants are affected by the same diseases and pests.
Proper planting and care of the pear tree is very important. A small instruction on how to carry out landing work will help you easily cope with the task:
- Prepare in advance a ditch with a depth of 0.9-1.2 m, with a diameter of 80 cm. When planting several seedlings, maintain a step between plants of 5-6 m.
- The upper fertile layer of earth taken out during the digging of the pit, mix with 2-3 buckets of organic matter, a bucket of coarse sand. Add 100 g of potassium salt and 150 g of superphosphate to the soil mixture, mix thoroughly the composition.
- Put a drainage of broken brick with a layer of 20 cm at the bottom of the excavation. Pour one third of the volume of the pit with nutrient soil mixture over the drainage. Form a mound and establish a support.
- Prepare a sapling by dropping the roots in a bucket of warm water. Add a Kornevin stimulant and some potassium permanganate. Hold for 1-4 hours. Dip the roots in the clay and manure mixture and dry a little.
- Pour into the hole 2-3 buckets of water, loosen the walls. After absorbing the fluid, place the root system on a hill and carefully pour the remaining soil. Check the position of the root collar. This part of the plant should be located 4-7 cm above the ground.
- Seal the substrate, make a tree circle with a groove for watering along the edge. Pour 2–3 buckets of water into the furrow, tie the tree to the support peg, sprinkle the area.
Remember not to put fresh manure in the hole. Fertilizer will certainly damage the root system, causing a severe burn.
Nuances of care
To care for a pear Klapp's pet is very easy. Saplings require increased gardener's attention to watering and crown formation, while adult specimens delight with their unpretentiousness.
Twice a month, young saplings pour a bucket of water, and in dry weather the irrigation frequency is increased. Drought tolerance is inherent in adult specimens, so watering is carried out once a month, but up to 50 liters of water is poured into the groove.
Mandatory watch for pristvolnym space. After watering, remove weeds, loosen the ground. In the autumn, the circle is cleared of fallen leaves, dug up to kill the larvae of the pests.
Young shoots are fed from the second growing season. In order for the pear to develop intensively after waking up and by the end of the summer it is watered with mullein 1-2 times a month. Under digging in the fall, the near-stale area is sprinkled with ashes. Spring feeding for adult specimens include nitrogen, in the summer potassium and phosphorus are needed, and in the fall it is enough to add wood ash.
Do not forget about foliar fertilizing with urea. This fertilizer in addition to the direct destination will help save Clapp Favorite from pests.
Annual pruning is aimed at maintaining plant health. In early spring, the shoots damaged for the winter, dried and dry branches are removed. It is imperative to thin out the crown to improve aeration and illumination.
Because of the weak resistance to scab, which we were told about the description of the variety, pear processing requires spring processing. Threefold treatment with copper-containing preparations or fungicides - HOM, Bordeaux mixture, Fitosporin, Fufanon will help to protect the crop from the plant disease. The procedure is carried out after foliage blooming, with the appearance of buds and after the appearance of greenfinches.
Before wintering, the crown of the pear is cleaned of crop residues, and the tree trout is treated. The barrel is whitened with special paint and wrapped with burlap in 2-3 layers. Lapnik is tied around the trunk to protect against rodents. Pristvolny space mulch sawdust or humus to a height of 25-40 cm.
Pear Klapp's favorite, although it is the fruit of American breeding, showed itself perfectly in Russian conditions. Even the presence of flaws in the cultivar does not deter lovers of juicy sweet fruits. With regular care, a stately tree pleases gardeners with a good harvest.
The story of the creation of the variety Pet Klappa
This pear is from America (Massachusetts), it appeared thanks to T. Klapp in 1860. According to the basic version, the variety originated from the free pollination of the Forest Beauty seedling, but it is possible that it is a spontaneous hybrid of the Williams variety. The second variant of the pear name is Clapp`s Favorite.
In 1947, the variety was tested for varietal testing and in the same year it was allowed to grow in the North-West, North Caucasus and Lower Volga regions. And also the pear is widespread in Ukraine, Moldova, Belarus, Central Asian and Baltic countries. It occupies a worthy place among the best summer varieties and is highly valued in industrial, farming and amateur gardening.
Klapp's pet has a number of selection-significant traits. She became the parent variety for two dozen new cultural representatives.
Description and Characteristics of the Pear Klapp's Pet
Trees grow medium or high. Young plants grow intensively, they form a thin wide-pyramidal crown. As the branches age, they sag, the crown thins and becomes wide-round. Wood is brittle. Frame branches rather thick, weakly branching, grow at an angle of separation from the trunk of 45 °. The bulk of the ovary is formed on kolchatkah, a small amount - on the fruit twigs. Trees bloom quite long in the average time for a pear. Inflorescences are formed from 6-7 large white flowers. Usually trees live up to 50–55 years, according to some sources they can reach the age of seventy. The variety is well acclimatized on the wild pear, with quince almost incompatible.
In young pear trees, the favorite of Clappa is a broad-pyramidal crown.
The size of the fruit exceeds the average, their weight varies from 140 to 200-230 grams and depends largely on the age of the tree. The younger the plant, the larger the pears that form on it. Fruits are short-shaped with a slight tuberosity. The skin is smooth, under it a large number of small inconspicuous points. The color of pears is yellowish-green, fully ripened and turning yellow with a thick surface carmine blush on the sunny side. Occasionally, there is a slight melky speckle at the apex.
Short-clawed fruits of Clappa's Pet are above average in size, are colored in yellowish-green and covered with a thick carmine blush.
The fragrant white flesh is juicy and melting, has a delicate texture. The taste is excellent, there is some acid in it, but sweetness prevails. Sugar content - 8.3%, titratable acids - 0.4%. The taste was highly appreciated by tasters - 4.6–4.8 points. Fruits are used universally. Mostly consumed fresh, but can also be preserved and dried. Compotes and dried fruits were rated 4 points. For canned compotes suitable fruit, which begins to turn yellow skin and soften the flesh.
Fruits of pear Klapp's favorite are consumed fresh, but they also make excellent canned products.
The ripening and consumption period is summer. The crop is removed from the last days of July to mid-August, depending on the region of cultivation. Pears that have not reached maturity are firmly held on the branches, fully matured ones are showered. The optimal time for harvesting is ten days before their full maturity. If you remove the pears prematurely, it will affect their quality. The fruits removed in time can lie one and a half to two weeks and are quite well transported.
It is important to choose the right time for harvesting the Klapp Favorite variety to preserve the quality of the fruit.
Skoroplodnost is not the strength of the variety, the first harvest of the plant give 7-8 years after planting. In adult trees, yield is high and stable. In the central part of the Kuban, trees at the age of 15–20 years produce 150–180 c / ha, in the foothill areas, the yield of twenty-five year old plants is 250–300 c / ha. Ability to self-pollination is absent.
Winter hardiness and drought resistance are high, according to these indicators, the grade is comparable to the Forest beauty. Two-and three-year-old plants in a nursery were well tolerated at thirty-degree frosts. In severe winters, the trees remained alive after frosts of -35 ° C, but received significant damage. Trees unpretentious to the ground.
The variety is heavily affected by scab. During periods of drought, the plants suffer from a pear sucker.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
The strengths of the pear Klapp's pet include the following properties:
- rather large size and presentation of fruits,
- great dessert taste
- stable and high yield,
- high level of winter hardiness
- undemanding to the soil.
The variety also has several disadvantages:
- large size of trees
- poor quality,
- decrease in the strength of attachment of fruits during ripening,
- instability to scab.
From the list of pros and cons of a pear, it can be concluded that its advantages are very substantial, and the disadvantages are far from being critical. Gardeners are willing to put up with them and willingly grow this variety.
Self-infertility for a pear is more the rule than the exception. In this case, Clapp's pet belongs to the majority of cultural representatives: it will not bear fruit without pollinators. For this purpose, Bere Giffard, Williams, Forest Beauty, Olivier de Serres are considered the best.
The flowering time does not always coincide with the ripening dates: summer varieties may bloom at the same time as autumn and even winter.
The sources mention a number of the following varieties of different ripening period, blooming in the same period with Favorite Klapp:
- Summer: Ilyinka, Pan.
- Autumn: Bere Boek, Bere Bosk, Bere Liguel.
- Winter: Winter Deacon, Saint-Germain.
If there is not enough space on the site to accommodate several pears, it can be limited to grafting cuttings of pollinating varieties into the crown.
Любимица Клаппа самобесплодна, без перекрёстного опыления не стоит рассчитывать на хороший урожай
Особенности выращивания сорта Любимица Клаппа
Описываемая груша в целом неприхотлива. Но при её выращивании лучше учесть ряд сортовых особенностей. This will help to obtain high quality products and increase yields.
Above it was mentioned that plants are undemanding to soils, however, growing on light soils have higher rates of early fertility compared to those on heavy clay. Klapp's pet grows poorly on soils with close bedding of the pebble layer, as well as on waterlogged, insufficiently drained and saline. He loves the sun, can grow in the shade, but a lack of light adversely affects fruiting. A small short shading during the day will not affect the quality of the crop.
Most often the pear is planted in the spring to avoid the risk of freezing of the seedling. In the southern regions of the permissible autumn landing. As with all tall trees, the planting pattern is recommended 5x6 m. Otherwise, the process of planting seedlings has no features.
When group planting the Favorite Clappa variety, one should not forget about its tallness and observe the recommended distance between trees.
Rare crown Pet Klapp will not require much effort when carrying out scrap. If it is correct to form the crown at a young age, in subsequent years it will not need thinning (regulatory pruning). Enough to carry out sanitary and aimed at stimulating the fruiting supporting pruning. It is best to apply the traditional sparse-tiered formation for tall trees.
Sparse-tiered form will be optimal for pear tree Klapp's favorite
Drought tolerance characteristic of a variety does not mean that plants can not be watered at all. Lack of moisture in the drought will not lead to the death of the tree, but the fruits are crushed and will crumble. The need for irrigation depends on the amount of precipitation in the season. And also a sufficient amount of moisture is needed for young trees. Waterlogging should not be allowed, it will do more harm than a lack of moisture. Three years after planting, the trees begin to feed in the usual way.
Damage dangerous to the variety
Given the instability of Clapp's pet to scab, it is necessary to conduct a thorough prevention of fungal diseases. If the infection could not be avoided, fungicides are used for the treatments (Chorus, Skor, Strobe, and others).
Scab infects various parts of the plant and has the following characteristics:
- Leaves appear dense greenish-brown spots, which later become brownish-brown.
- On the bark of young shoots cracks and swells are formed, their development is disturbed.
- Fruits are covered with compacted dark spots, under which the flesh becomes corky and cracks.
Photo gallery: signs of scab damage to various vegetative organs of the pear
Of the pests, the most likely occurrence of a pear dwarf (leaf) in drought. Harm brought larvae, sucking the juice from the leaves, pedicels, shoots and fruits. Their sticky sugary secretions (honeydew) provoke the appearance of soot fungus. To protect against suckling, as well as other possible pests, the best measures are preventive: if you start the fight after the appearance of harmful insects, they will manage to damage the plants and the crop.
The larvae of the pear squirrel (lisbloshki) feed on the sap of the plant, highlighting the honey dew