Hogweed on the site and nearby areas is a serious cause for alarm. Once I discovered an unfamiliar weed on my land, I shoveled all the information about it and was terrified, since its removal is a rather difficult and thorough work.
The older generation perfectly remembers how, as a summer practice, schoolchildren and students were sent to collect valuable Hogweed seeds. At one time, this weed was specially planted in the fields, its powerful stems and leaves served as feed for livestock on farms. Now the hogweed has ceased to be used for these purposes, and it is actively growing on abandoned fields, and the wind scatters its seeds for many kilometers. Even if you carefully care for your site, the problem of removing a poisonous weed can touch you at any time.
The strengths and weaknesses of the Hogweed
You need to know the enemy by sight, so before you start fighting with a hogweed, you need to figure out which plant has its strengths and weaknesses. Poisonous weed has specific features:
- in the absence of insects, flowers can self-pollinate,
- the plant loves moisture but does not tolerate stagnant water
- for seed germination, their stratification is necessary - frosty snowy winters stimulate the emergence of spring shoots,
- a strong weed easily pierces a light layer of mulch, grows rapidly, shading crops.
The seriousness of the problem associated with the growth of Sosnovsky hogweed on the plot is determined by the strengths of this weed. Its advantages in relation to other plants make it difficult to remove it from the territories it has “developed”:
- Each hogweed Sosnovsky grows until it multiplies. If you simply mow a plant, such a measure will not help get rid of a dangerous weed, - every year new shoots will appear from the root and active buds and try to give seeds. One plant can develop up to 15 years, and begins to bear fruit for 2 years.
- On one plant, a colossal number of seeds ripen - from 20 to 70 thousand seeds. They fall into the soil, are carried by wind to a distance of 2 km, and are also naturally transported by birds. Seeds also cling to animals, wheels of machinery, clothing and shoes of man, which contributes to the spread of poisonous weed over large areas.
- Hogweed seeds remain viable for 5–15 years, depending on conditions. Another feature is that each seed is covered with a specific film, emitting essential oils that inhibit the growth of other plants.
Breeding is the main goal of the plant, and all its forces, even after cutting, mowing and cutting, are sent to seed ripening. The food in the stems is enough for them to subside and crumble. To exterminate the hogweed, it is not enough to use only one method - you need to produce large-scale and complex work, relying on the weaknesses of the weed:
- after flowering the plant dies completely, so you need to give him the opportunity to release umbrellas,
- the seeds are not able to germinate under a thick (from 30 cm) layer of soil,
- Hogweed needs sunlight
- Hogweed core root, so digging out a plant will not lead to vegetative propagation.
Ways to fight
The fight against the hogweed of Sosnowski should be as active and complex as possible. Of course, it is better to regularly inspect their territories and in time remove young shoots from the ground. But what if there are adult plants on the site that are quite difficult to bring out?
To exterminate the Hogweed it is necessary to use its weaknesses: not to allow umbrellas to ripen, to dig out adult plants with stalkleed, and also to prevent the germination of crumbled seeds.
The peculiarities of the Hogweed and the importance of its complete extermination are described in the following video:
One of the effective methods of fighting cow parsnip, which must necessarily be included in a comprehensive program of weed control - digging. As already noted, mowing does not affect the growth of the weed, the next year from the root again go new shoots, seeking to release umbrellas.
The "underground" part of the plant consists of stalkleed, taproot and rootlets extending from it. The main task of the gardener when digging up an adult weed is to remove areas with dormant buds - stalk plant. He, in turn, is located quite deep underground - at 30-45 cm.
Ideally, you need to dig up the ground around the hogweed and cut off the entire aboveground part along with the stalk choke, but in practice it is easier to mow the hogweed and then cut off the largest possible part of the stalk choke with a sharp shovel. After 3-4 weeks you need to check the treated place, and when new shoots appear from the remaining dormant buds, repeat the manipulation.
Large areas heavily affected by hogweed, it is better to regularly plow up with an interval of 3 weeks, such a drastic measure will help destroy adult plants and not allow them to give seeds.
Cutting buds can help to cope with a poisonous weed. The plant, which gave inflorescences, has already fulfilled its role, after the seeds mature, it will begin to prepare for wilting. Removing umbrellas is much more effective in the fight against the resilient hogweed than digging and mowing. It is as if you are fooling a weed, forcing it to assume that it has already completed its functionality.
Trimming the inflorescences should be done before the seeds begin to mature. If several seeds have ripened on an umbrella, they will crumble on the ground or be transported with the help of wings by the wind. All manipulations with a poisonous weed are carried out in full protection, since sap on the skin and subsequent exposure to the affected areas of ultraviolet radiation will lead to severe sunburn. Trim inflorescences better pruners with long handles, and pour the collected umbrellas with flammable liquids and burn, to prevent the seeds ripen.
Since lateral shoots may appear on an adult plant over time, on which inflorescences are also able to form, it is necessary to inspect the hogweed regularly and remove new umbrellas.
If you do not have time to dig a hogweed or to carefully remove the inflorescences, you can burn the weed. Powerful plants need to be poured well with a flammable liquid, any cheap repellent can be sprayed onto the inflorescences - these products also burn well.
The process of burning hogweed should be strictly under your control so that a fire does not occur and the fire does not spread to neighboring areas. Since the weed emits harmful ethers in the process of burning, you need to ensure adequate respiratory protection and warn your neighbors about planned and dangerous work on the site.
Another method of dealing with large thickets of poisonous weed is its mowing and subsequent mulching. For this purpose, thick black polyethylene is used (not less than 100 microns), which is covered with areas affected by hogweed. To prevent powerful stems from picking up material, it can be crushed from above with boards, stones, bricks or existing construction debris.
New shoots will not be able to grow without sunlight, therefore, blocking their access to ultraviolet, you will destroy an adult hogweed in one season. In order not to allow seeds to come up in subsequent years, it is recommended to raise the area by 30-40 cm and dig the soil no deeper than these values. If you do not have the opportunity to bring the land, you will need to regularly inspect the area and remove young shoots of hogweed until they have taken root.
In many sources, herbicides are indicated as the most effective means for the complete extermination of hogweed on the plot. Indeed, the strong chemicals with which the stems, leaves, and rosettes of a poisonous weed are processed after germination effectively destroy it. But traces of herbicides remain in the soil, which negatively affects the possibility of growth of "useful" crops. In addition, hazardous chemicals can penetrate to groundwater, so their use in garden plots is highly undesirable.
In the process of weed control, do not forget that the hogweed is a poisonous and dangerous plant, so when taking it out of the lot you need to take precautions, namely, not to contact with the juice and not inhale the smoke when it is burned. In addition, the following common mistakes should be avoided:
- do not leave mowed and weeded plants on the plot, burn them, otherwise the seeds on umbrellas will ripen and fall into the soil,
- cut the inflorescences before seed ripening, otherwise when removing umbrellas, some dry seeds will scatter on the ground,
- when working with cow parsnip, carefully protect the body with clothing and gloves, leaving no exposed skin.
To completely remove the Hogweed from the site, you will need to work in several directions at once - remove the inflorescences, dig out adult weeds and watch the sprouts growing. Removing weed can take you several summer seasons, because the seeds are able to maintain their germination for up to 15 years.
What is a hogweed and where did it come from
Hogweed is an umbrella family plant that includes 42 species. Most of the plants of this family does not pose a danger to humans. For example, a species like Siberian hogweedcommon in Siberia and Kazakhstan, once eaten. Some species of hogweed used as an ornamental culture.
Sosnovsky Hogweed - a poisonous and dangerous species, which currently fills large areas of our country, was not previously considered as such. This plant began to be cultivated for livestock feed. The plant attracted farmers by the fact that it grows quickly and gains mass, is not destroyed when mowing, grows quickly and has many useful substances for animals.
However, farms were becoming less and less, and the hogweed Sosnovsky continued to grow. Now it occupies enormously large areas that could be used for other needs. In some countries against cow parsnip there are programs and state-supported projects.
What is dangerous cowberry
The fight against cow parsniv is not without purpose. Firstly, it occupies large areas, displacing other plants and cultures with its presence. Sometimes it fills the acreage and it becomes real problem. In Russia, in view of the vast expanses of the country, this does not seem to be a disaster. However, most European countries do not have such large territories, and for them the fields planted with borshevik are a real disaster.
Secondly, this weed is dangerous to human health and life. The juice of the plant contains furocoumarins. These are substances that cause sunburn on contact with the skin. Burns can to be quite serious. They rarely entail death, but when the juice gets on the skin of a child in combination with a vast affected area, it can be fatal.
When a plant juice comes in contact with a person’s skin, blisters form at first, which must be hidden from the sun’s rays until they turn into brown spots. Spots usually disappear in a few months, however, when the sun hits the affected area, again a relapse may occur.
Of particular danger are repeated burnsBecause coumarins have properties to accumulate in the body. Excess coumarins cause the disease - vitiligo, which is not amenable to treatment.
How breeding hogweed
Enemy need to know in person, so before you fight with a hogweed, let's find out how he multiplies.
This plant propagated only by seeds, it does not have the ability to grow vegetatively. However, a weed can sprout from underground buds. Therefore, the best and most accurate way to get rid of hogweed is to remove the roots. This will only work if there is no seed left in the soil.
The problem is that germination Hogweed seed is preserved for five years. And if at least one seed germinates, one single plant is able to populate the entire plot. Hogweed has the ability to self-pollination, and its fertility is enormous. That is why the main task in the fight against this poisonous weed is getting rid of seeds. And the best thing is to avoid strings at all. After all, even on mowed plants, seeds can ripen and germinate in the future.
Precautionary measures in the fight against parstern on the site
The best way ensure your safety in the fight against cow parsnip - take care of body protection. Since this weed is a dangerous rival, you need to take care of the following things:
- rubber boots and gloves
- waterproof suit, completely covering the body, better with a hood,
- safety glasses, tight to the face.
It is not recommended to use protective clothing made of cloth, because the juice will saturate the fabric and then burns are inevitable. In the fight against cow parsnip, the main thing is not to harm even more. A few more tips to prevent inefficiency struggle and deterioration:
- Mowing the plant is strictly not recommended during the flowering period. At this time, the plant is filled with juice most, and the probability of getting burns increases. In addition, the fight with cow parsnip when it blooms is almost useless.
- If the plant is mowed after the seeds ripen, the effect will not be achieved either, since the seeds will scatter around and germinate next year.
- Oblique weeds do not need to be left in place. In this case, the seeds can "reach" and germinate. After mowing the hogweed must be burned.
Having dealt with security measures, let us turn to the main question: how to deal with Sosnovsky borshevik?
Means of fighting cow parsnip
Hogweed is extremely tenacious and a strong plant that is not affected by insect pests or diseases. All because of biologically active substances that drive away all living things from themselves. Weed is almost invulnerable, so the fight against it can not be put off until later. At the first appearance of an umbrella nearby, take any measures, otherwise in a few years it will be more difficult to withdraw it.
Means of combating poisonous weeds are numerous. Sudand are treated as chemicaland mechanical methods. We will get acquainted with them in more detail.
Plowing and weeding
It is possible to plow the cottage area away from the poisonous species of the Hogweed. It is necessary to plow a site in the spring. The surviving roots can again grow, then the plowing will have to be repeated. Autumn plowing will not make sense, since ripe seeds fall into the soil and germinate next year.
If the place overgrown with weeds is small, weeding will help to get rid of it. The plant is cut down below the growth point - a few centimeters below the root collar. Weed the site must be in the spring and summer every three weeks.
If you have missed the moment, and the seeds have already begun, you can resort to radical measures - burning. This method requires maximum precaution:
- pour over kerosene or gasoline need umbrellas plants,
- it is necessary to set fire in calm weather,
- to have water on hand in case the situation gets out of control,
- better get respirators or gas masks, because burning will produce acrid smoke.
Herbicides, chemicals that are used to combat unwanted vegetation, will help destroy the parsquip from the site. There are several ways to get rid of the poisonous weed at the dacha using chemistry.
- Spraying is the most common way to treat plants with chemicals. To do this, use drugs "Tornado" and "Roundup". Spraying is carried out in the period from the appearance of shoots to the formation of flowering. For the procedure, you will need a double dose of the drug, because the hogweed is very tenacious. Within two weeks you will needem to conduct two treatments. It is important to ensure that the drug gets into the weed umbrellas and leafy sockets.
- The vaccination is introduced into the stem or stump of the stem. For this, any herbicide is suitable.
- Paint brush processing. This method is suitable if you do not want to harm the surrounding plants. The treatment is carried out with glyphosate herbicides. The solution should be applied to the leaves of the weed using a paint brush. Application area - up to 80% of leaf surface.
There are no less effective, but less popular methods of dealing with cow parsnip, among which are:
- Mowing It is used in cases where the area weedis extensive. In the spring, the vegetation is mowed, and the stubble stalks are burned.
- Black film. In the spring, the area where the weed grows must be covered with a black film and pinned down along the edges. In summer, the film can already be removed. The lack of light and the greenhouse effect will not allow the plant to develop normally and destroy it.
- Artificial turf. По весне необходимо скосить растительность и застелить место геополотном. На геополотно насыпать почвы и высадить газон.
Геополотно и плёнка должны использоваться на протяжении не одного сезона, а нескольких. When using the film, it is important to press it with something very heavy, because the hogweed is a strong plant and is able to germinate even through shelter.
Now you know how to get rid of hogweedbut on your summer cottage. Modern methods of struggle will not leave the weed a chance for survival.
Where did he come from?
First you need to deal with the fact that such a hogweed. This is an annual large-sized umbrella plant. There are more than 40 varieties of hogweed, and not all of them are poisonous, many are even used as ornamental and vegetable crops. However, the most famous and widespread species, the horticulture Sosnovsky, is the most problematic representative for summer residents.
These plants are alien, they were brought to us from Europe in the 40s of the 20th century. Those varieties that were borrowed had good qualities of silage crops: they rapidly increased their green mass, had nutritional properties, and served as cheap fodder for cattle. However, the hogweed gave abundant self-sowing wilds, which turned out to be a poisonous weed and just spread like lightning through the fields.
Giant, sometimes taller human growth, hogweed visible immediately. Their powerful stems, hollow inside, and huge, up to 1 m in diameter, umbrellas fraught with several dangers. Their juice has phototoxicity, which means that the plants show their toxicity only in bright sunny weather.
Especially dangerous is the fact that burns from Hogweed do not appear immediately, but after a few hours. There were cases that children who played with his empty stems, as with a telescope, completely lost their sight. In addition, the flowering plants causes severe allergies. Therefore, it is simply necessary to fight cow parsnip.
Know your enemy!
To overcome this weed on the vine, you need to make out its strengths and weaknesses. The following are strong:
- Very rapid plant growth - up to 10 cm per day.
- Bulk root that goes into the soil for more than 30 cm.
- It is useless to fight cow parsnip by cutting the stem, it will start new processes from the root, as it has many dormant buds that can exist up to 15 years.
- Hogweed is very cold-resistant.
- Its seeds do not lose their germination for 5 years.
- Each plant gives up to 70 thousand seeds.
- Hogweed flowers have the property of selfing.
- The toxicity of seeds allows them to inhibit all the plants around them, so the Hogweed has no competitors.
- Even the seemingly cut umbrellas of a plant in time can give self-sowing, as the seeds tend to ripen.
- One should not be surprised at the occurrence of hogweed on the plot, even if it had never been there before, seeds are spread over very long distances by wind, water and birds.
In the fight against cow parsnip you need to use its weaknesses:
- This weed is afraid of high humidity and stagnant water in the soil.
- With the help of rhizomes can not spread.
- A thick layer of soil - more than 30 cm - prevents seeds from coming up.
- In late autumn, the plant dies completely.
- Such an insignificant fact, as the need for sunlight to grow, can also be useful if you are going to fight with a borshevik.
Before taking any measures, you need to protect yourself from the ingress of poisonous juice on the skin. You need to work only with gloves and a mask. Clothes should be chosen with long sleeves, and shoes - closed, preferably boots. But it is best to use a special protective suit.
For the effectiveness of the fight against parshevik it is necessary to use all means in a comprehensive manner and begin all these procedures as early as possible, until the weed has flowered. Very laborious, but the most productive method, digging up the root. As soon as the tops of hogweed was discovered, it was immediately dug out with a large lump of earth. If only a little bit of roots remain, the plant will grow again.
Tip Young shoots are very easy to pull out of wet spring soil, simply by pulling. Conclusion: before removing the rhizome, you can specifically moisten the soil.
Hogweed, which has already bloomed, need to trim the umbrellas. However, remembering that they can ripen, they must be immediately destroyed. You also need to remember that umbrellas can come out again, so this procedure should be repeated periodically.
As a last resort, when the hogweed seeds are already ripening, the plants burn completely. Even entire areas overgrown with this weed are burned out. However, this method is dangerous and does not give 100% of the result.
What else can you do?
Many are surprised, why not just apply herbicides in the fight against this occupier? It turns out that he simply does not respond to them. Yes, and not every summer resident uses these toxic substances in his area. Instead, you can use diesel or gasoline. Bearing in mind that the Hogweed stalks are hollow, you can pour 2 ml of fuel into them using a syringe without a needle. It is also advised to apply the vinegar essence in the same way.
Mulching method will bring very good results. It is good only in the case when the plants have not yet bloomed, but better when they just hatch. Since the plant cannot develop without sunlight, it will be logical to deprive the hogweed of this factor. It is necessary to impose on the littered area a black film that does not transmit light. The density of the material should be at least 100 microns. If the plants are already grown, they need to be bent to the ground, cover with a film and press down on top with boards, bricks or any other heavy objects.
Hogweed should be fought not only on its own plot, but also around it, as well as in the adjacent abandoned territories. After all, if you only remove it from your site, it will very quickly return from the nearby territories. And besides, it needs to be done to protect children who can walk near the bushes of the Hogweed.
It is important to tell your kids about this plant, to explain to them what the danger is and to show what exactly should be avoided. Then you will be sure that you and your loved ones are safe, and your summer cottage will bring only pleasant fruits of agricultural labor.
Hogweed is a biennial plant belonging to the genus of the umbrella family. It blooms only once. In height weed is able to reach one and a half to three meters. The stem is hollow inside, has a ribbed surface, is colored magenta. Triple leaves in length sometimes grow to 1.5 meters. Seeds ripen from July to September, and they can germinate even after three years.
There are poisonous (Sosnowski, Montegazzi) and non-poisonous varieties of plants. Hogweed Sosnovsky is the most common. Its distinctive features include the following:
- It has a suppressive effect on all nearby growing plants.
- It has an unpleasant strong smell.
- It lives on moist soils.
- Contains furocoumarins.
- It tolerates frosts.
- It is an excellent honey plant.
The main danger of the Hogweed for people and plants
Most of the negative reactions that this plant can cause are associated with essential oils in its parts and active furocoumarins. When a person comes into contact with parsquim, burns of varying severity, allergies and blindness may occur (if the plant sap gets into the eyes). Allergic reactions are usually represented by rashes, coughing, sneezing, tearing, and sometimes laryngeal edema.
The juice of this weed can cause a strong vulnerability of human skin to the effects of ultraviolet rays. Getting on the skin in bright sunshineIt can even cause third-degree burns. Hyperemia, puffiness, blistering, often merging into one, itching is observed on the affected areas. In the case of a deep lesion, dark pigmentation spots, scars and scars can remain.
Burns can occur not only immediately after the juice gets on the skin, but also after two days. In the case of failure to provide necessary assistance to the victim, a person may feel headache, dizziness, nausea, and even faint. Children and the elderly are the most vulnerable to the effects of weeds.
When hogweed juice gets on the skin, wash the damaged area thoroughly with soap and water, pour cologne, vodka or furatsilin solution on it, treat with panthenol and cover it with something from the sun (but do not apply a bandage). Large lesions, damage to the eyes and mucous membranes are considered a direct indication to visit a doctor.
As for the effect on plants, then the hogweed leaves practically no chance for them to live alongside it. Its wide leaves catch up to eighty percent of sunlight, and the essential oils contained in it penetrate into the ground, inhibiting the germination of other crops.
Ways of protection in the fight against cow parsnip
For your own safety in the fight against cow parsnip it is important to take care of acquiring the necessary elements of equipment, consisting of:
- waterproof suit, which must necessarily have a hood,
- rubber gloves and boots
June is the most suitable month to start breeding this weed, because it is at this time that there is no scorching heat, and the inflorescences do not have time to form. At the end of the summer, any work with the cow parsnip should be carried out exclusively in uniforms in the evening or in the early morning. Well, if the street keeps wet overcast weather.
It is important to know that ordinary woven items will not protect plant sap from penetrating. Clothing must be made of special materials.
The main methods of eliminating weed
Thanks to regular care of the garden, it is easy to neutralize the young shoots of hogweed found on the land plot. However, if the garden runformed by weed thickets to destroy will be much more difficult. You should not hesitate with this issue, because the plant will continue to multiply rapidly, occupying more and more new space.
Having gone to get rid of weed from a small area, you can try to destroy it with the help of the usual trimming of buds. To do this, it is imperative to use rubber gloves to prevent juice or dew from falling on your hands. The inflorescences from the central umbrella are cut off with scissors or shears, seizing the main trunk with a hand. In this way, it is also necessary to remove second-order umbrellas, which are cut to the bottom. Due to this, the plant does not bloom and dies, having lost all of its seeds.
However, the use of the described method has disadvantages. These include:
- Danger of falling plant juice on the skin and mucous membranes.
- Long time-consuming, especially if overgrown extensive.
When it is not possible to get rid of the plant in time before the period of flowering and seed formation, the most burning is considered an effective method of struggle.. Perform this procedure before the seeds ripen in the central umbrella. The actions are performed in the following order:
- Before removing the hogweed in this way, they must be dressed in workwear.
- The plant is gently doused with gasoline or kerosene, capturing umbrellas of inflorescences.
- After that, it is set on fire, ensuring that the flame does not spread to other cultures. It is better to produce it in calm weather, so as not to provoke a fire.
- The burning of essential oils is usually accompanied by the presence of acrid smoke, which can be poisoned. Therefore, it is imperative to wear a respirator or gas mask.
Weeding and plowing
In early spring, with the help of plowing plowing, it is possible to destroy a hiberovat overwintered. When sprouts that began to emerge from the roots appear, this procedure is repeated. In the autumn, plowing can not be done, because the seeds of the plant fall deep into the ground, germinating further.
Quite good results can be achieved thanks to weeding with a shovel. The young shoots of the Hogweed are cut down ten centimeters below the growth point. Such events are repeated. every four weeks during spring and summer.
There are also more modern methods of weed control.which include the use of artificial turf and covering film. This can be done in the following order:
- With the onset of spring, the area affected by the plant is covered with black film, pressed down with a load and left in this position until June. Due to the greenhouse effect and the inaccessibility of sunlight, hogweed sprouts die.
- At the beginning of summer, they get rid of the film and plow the land.
- The following spring, the plot is treated from all weeds, spread out geopolitically, the five-centimeter layer of fresh earth is poured, which is sown with lawn grass.
The destruction of the Hogweed with herbicides
A fairly common method of dealing with this plant is the use of various herbicides, such as Tornado, Roundup, and more. There are several ways to introduce them:
- Spraying, which is carried out after the first shoots. With the beginning of the flowering period, such a procedure will be useless. For its implementation using a double dose of herbicides. The treatment is carried out twice in fourteen days.
- Inoculation, which is done in the stem of the plant. For this excellent arboricide. Moreover, you can additionally inject vinegar or any other herbicide in the stubble of the hogweed. However, this method can only be used with a small area affected by hogweed.
- Treatment with glyphosate containing herbicides. It is produced individually by applying the solution with a paint brush to 80 percent of the weed leaves. The advantage of this method is that there is no risk of harm to crops growing near the Hogweed.
When implementing the above recommendations, you can quite successfully cope with the problem of the growth of such a dangerous weed. The main thing in dealing with it - to comply with personal safety measures, without exposing themselves to the likelihood of plant juice falling on the skin, mucous membranes or in the respiratory tract.
Efficient, comfortable and sooooo fast. When you need to lose 3-4 pounds per week. Read more here.
The Hogweed is a plant that grows up to 150 cm in height. In some parts of the world its height reaches 3 m. The Hogweed has a powerful stem that is hollow inside, and the branches grow in its upper part. Flowering occurs in mid-summer, and fruits appear at the end of summer. The hogweed propagates by self-seeding.
Among all varieties of plants, the most dangerous is hogweed Sosnowski. Its powerful hollow stem grows up to 4 meters in height. Also, the plant is characterized by huge inflorescences in the form of umbrellas and large leaves. The giant plant looks beautiful in appearance, however, as it was found out recently, it carries a danger to humans. In contact with open areas of the human body, the hogweb of Sosnovsky causes chemical burns.
Emaciated Stepanenko: I weighed 108, and now 65. At night she drank warm. Read more here.
At the beginning, after the weed juice has hit the human skin, no signs of injury were observed. However, if the rays of the sun fall on the stung place, terrible blisters and a burning sensation immediately form. Scientists have found that the juice of this plant species behaves aggressively under the influence of ultraviolet rays.
Important! After getting poisonous juice on the skin, it is necessary to close it with a dark cloth so that the sun's rays do not penetrate.
In a cool room or thick shade, wash the affected area with clean water and soap, rub it with a solution of potassium permanganate or alcohol.
The activity of the juice of the plant passes only after 72 hours, so during this period of time it is better not to go out in the sun.
I was able to get rid of ARTHROSIS AND OSTEOCHONDROSIS PER MONTH! Operations are not needed. Read more here.
Now not only the hogweed of Sosnovsky, but also other varieties of this plant are to be destroyed. The reason is their massive and rapid spread. In addition, this grass is able to survive in any conditions, so it is important to know some secrets that will help to successfully deal with the weed.
Hogweed Sosnovsky to be destroyed for obvious reasons. However, why do people fight with other species of this plant, which, due to their decorative appearance, can become a designer adornment of any cottage.
At first, it was like this: the grass was actively bred in home gardens, summer residences. Unique vitality has made this plant common. In Soviet times, experts believed that this culture can be diluted en masse to solve some important problems:
- Weed stalk can grow up to 10 cm per day. This made it possible over the summer to get a huge mass of fresh feed for cows, goats and even pigs. This was especially beneficial to collective farms that bred these animals.
- The plant was planted along the roads. Its thick and tall stems, tightly spaced to each other, protected the road from a herd of cows. The animals could not get through the hogweed, so they did not impede the movement of road transport.
- Any kind of Hogweed is able to absorb exhaust gases while cleaning the air. Experts believe that dense weed planting will be able to neutralize all exhaust gases emanating from the machines. Therefore, along the roads planted hogweed in huge quantities.
- Все порезанные части растения могли быть прекрасным удобрением, которое по составу было не хуже коровьего навоза. The weed root significantly enriches the soil with nitrogen. At the site where the hogweed grew it was easy to grow any crop that yielded a good harvest.
The vitality of the Hogweed and a huge number of seeds made the weed very common. This led to the fact that he clogs and weeds, and cultivated.
Today, modern methods are used in the agrarians. In addition, they began to breed less cattle. The plant began to grow and multiply uncontrollably. Every year weed brings up to 70 thousand seeds, which provide extraordinary germination. The man makes a lot of effort to fight hogweed.
To understand how to get rid of the Hogweed on the site forevershould be well aware of its features of reproduction and development. First, consider the strengths of the plant:
- Weed refers to the self-pollinated species of flowering herbs. Also, it can be pollinated with insects.
- Weed seeds can survive in the ground hard frosts. In addition, harsh weather conditions make them stronger. It is known that after a frosty winter, seed germination increases markedly.
- Hogweed itself with a powerful root system is growing very quickly. Therefore, other cultures are not able to grow alongside this weed.
- One bush of this plant can sprout in one place for about 15 years. All this time the grass spends on procreation. After she gives the seeds, she dies.
- The weed does not grow from the roots. However, after cutting the stem, he begins a new birth, thanks to the development of basal buds.
- Seeds retain their germination after many years of rest.
- With the help of wind, river water, animals and birds, plant seeds can spread over long distances. They may end up in places where the plant has never grown before.
- Weed umbrellas can ripen even in a torn state, after which they will surely give good germination. Therefore, plant seeds can be destroyed only by burning.
All these features of the Hogweed complicate such a task as its destruction on personal plots.
Watch the video! Fighting with Hogweed
On the other hand, this plant has some weak qualities that gardeners and gardeners can use:
- The plant will not grow in the soil with stagnant water.
- The grass loves heat and light, so without sunlight it can not grow.
- A flowering plant, and then given the seeds, will surely die.
- Roots weeds do not reproduce. The roots are not deep in the ground (about 30 cm), so they are easy to dig.
- Hogweed seeds are not able to germinate if they are in the ground at a depth of 30 centimeters or under a thick layer of mulch.
Methods of dealing with cow parsnip in the country
How can I get rid of hogweed on the plot? Using some of his weaknesses in the complex, we can effectively combat weed. However, this should work hard. For 2-3 years, you will have to fight the plant and make sure that not one shoot does not grow. For the complete destruction of the Hogweed is better to use several methods.
There are several methods of weed control:
Typically, this method is used to destroy weeds away from the garden, in forests and steppes. The fact is that the active elements of chemical preparations remain in the soil for a long time.
The most common remedy for fighting hogweed is Roundup. Using a syringe, a solution is injected into the stem of the plant, from which it perishes. However, the following years it is necessary to observe the plot, as there are still seeds in the ground that sprout.
Important! If a weed grows in places where garden crops are grown, the chemical control method cannot be used, since the poison will remain in the soil for a long time.
Herbicides can be replaced folk remedies weed control So, in a syringe, you can type in diesel fuel and in the same way, give a weed injection. Moreover, this method of destruction of hogweed, it is better to use in May - June. At this time, the stem is still young and juicy and easily absorbs poisons. In the other months of summer, an injection can be made in the weed sepals.
It is not uncommon to resort to such an effective method of dealing with a hogweed as soil mulching. In this case, the work must begin in early spring, until the seeds have germinated. Mulch can be laid later, just before it is necessary to cut the weed to the very root.
For such a strong plant as hogweed, a layer of sawdust or dry grass will not work. Therefore, for such a procedure, a thick and dense polyethylene film of dark color with a thickness in excess of 100 micrometers is used. The material covers the entire problem area. From above impose boards, the earth or any other cargo. Otherwise, the strong stalks of the plant will simply lift and tear the cover.
Important! When using this method for 1-2 seasons, nothing will grow on the plot.
Despite the enhanced weed control by this method, there are still seeds in the ground that will be activated next year. Therefore, you should not miss their germination, and just pull out the young shoots with the root. After processing the plot, it can be sown densely with lawn grass so that it clogs the young shoots of weed.
This method of dealing with cow parsnip is also effective, but rather laborious. It involves the removal of weeds by hand. You can use a shovel if the garden is large, as it will be very difficult for one person to process it.
This method can be applied only with young plants. They can be easily torn out by hand.
Tip! To prevent fragile stems from breaking, it is best to clean after careful watering of the area or rain. It is important to do the work with hands in gloves, a mask and protective clothing.
With a shovel, young shoots should be chopped, grabbing part of the stem and root up to 15-20 cm deep into the ground. Thus, it is possible to destroy the buds of a plant that can wake up and begin its growth. It is important to check the treated area after ten days, as the hogweed can start new shoots.
If the weed has already bloomed, you can cut off only the tips of the umbrellas with seeds, and leave all other parts of the plant. Weed will consider that the process of procreation is complete and will die. And the seeds must be burned in the fire.
Get rid of the Hogweed is quite difficult. It is much easier to take measures for its prevention. To do this, you can not bring land to the site from contaminated sites, do not water the garden with river water, remove isolated bushes and fight against their reproduction.
Watch the video! How to destroy the hogweed in the country
This is a genus of tall umbrella plants, including more than 50 species. From the Latin name of the genus - Heracleum - there was one of the popular names - "Heracle grass." It reflects well its power and phenomenal vitality.
A fight can only be effective with a full understanding of its strengths and weaknesses. The strength of the Hogweed consists in the following biological features:
- Ability to grow fast
Shoots per day add up to 10 cm in length, so it is easy to miss the right moment for mowing.
- Seeds can ripen on cut umbrellas
Leaving the cut off of the generative parts of the weed at the site reduces the fight with him to zero.
Even one randomly listed instance of a plant can produce numerous progeny.
- Frost resistance
The seeds of the Hogweed Sosnowski easily tolerate harsh winters and actively sprout after natural stratification in the soil.
- Long-term germination
According to various sources, seeds do not lose their ability to germinate for 5-8 years.
- Easy seed spread
They are spread in different ways: by wind, water flow, on car tires and hooves of animals, brought in to the fields with manure.
- Deep location of the growth point
In the Hogweed it is at a depth of 3-10 cm below the surface of the soil, so the plant is successfully restored if it is cut higher.
However, its viability is not infinite. The struggle will be successful if you know the weakness of this plant:
- Inability to grow vegetatively. Vegetative mass is not restored from the root, if all dormant buds are removed.
- Monocarpia. Heracles grass can live from two to several years, depending on the species. But it bears fruit only once in a lifetime. If you apply the right tactics when the weed has moved into the generative phase of development, you can stop its triumphant march across the field.
Hogweed loves the sun, does not tolerate an abundance of water and does not germinate from the deep layers of the soil. Based on this information, you need to build your strategy on how to get rid of it.
Hogweed sizes can be truly gigantic, as in this photo.
If the garden is heavily littered with sprouts of grass, but managed to catch the moment before going into the tube and flowering, you can try the method of mowing:
- the first - in early spring shoots,
- the next - every 3-4 weeks.
Practice shows that mowing is not the most effective way to get rid of hogweed. In 2006–2008, a similar experiment was conducted at the experimental sites of the Institute of Biology of the Komi Republic. From June to September, the fields with Sosnowsky's hogweed were mowed at intervals of 25-30 days. The grass restored the vegetative mass without loss, wintered well and resumed growth in the spring.
Such a disappointing result allows us to conclude: mowing can be used to prevent flowering and contamination of the Hogweed, but must be combined with other methods of disposal.
The cheapest, however, useless and time-consuming method - manual mowing is virtually useless.
Perepashka and disking method
This method also implies multiple entry into the field: the first - in May, the next - during the whole summer until September. Therefore, it is possible only in areas left under steam.
The essence of the method is as follows:
- In May, plowing is performed with a subsequent disking,
- every 20-30 days the area is disking.
Thus, it is possible to get rid of the hogweed Sosnovsky for the season, even with a massive contamination of the field. Individual specimens can climb in September, but they are easily removed manually with a shovel.
If the hogweed of Sosnowski has outgrown, and mow it late, you can manually cut umbrellas with flowers, buds and green seeds. This is done like this:
- inflorescence is wrapped around the arm, protected by a thick glove,
- the umbrella is cut off under the base, carried away from the garden and burned.
Further, during the season, you need to monitor the emergence of new generative shoots and to remove them in a timely manner. Since the hogweed is a monocarp plant, in the fall it will die, and not giving seeds.
Burning out by fire
This method can be used for single lesions, if the plants had time to disseminate. The green mass of the pest from top to bottom, along with umbrellas, is poured with gasoline or fire ignition liquid. After that set fire.
Burning out is an effective but dangerous way. You must ensure that the fire does not spread further. After the hogweed has burnt out, the place of burning is thrown over with earth.