To plant azalea Japanese garden was a success, you need to listen to the advice and ensure proper care. The reward will be luxurious flower beds or tastefully decorated corners of the shady garden. Growing different types of azaleas creates the effect of a bright cloud hovering low above the ground. Or marvelous oriental carpet, carelessly thrown on the grass.
What varieties are suitable for decorating the garden?
What is attractive azalea? Lush flowering bush, shoots so densely covered with buds that you can not see the leaves. And they are good at the plant: dark green, velvety, miniature. In Japan, growing azalea bushes is practiced to produce hedges up to two meters high. In our country, several species of shrubs are bred, sizes vary depending on the variety. Specimens from 25 cm can become the decoration of the flowerbeds, and meter giants can be planted along the garden paths.
Tip! Before purchasing seedlings is to learn the basic rules for breeding. The garden azalea will wither away under the scorching sun, and some varieties prefer bright lighting.
If the care of the bushes is carried out at the proper level, then abundant flowering will not keep you waiting. Some types of azaleas are beginning to release buds in May. Flowering lasts from 1.5 to 3 months before the onset of the autumn cooling. Flowers differ in size and shape - they are small and elegant, large and terry. Coloring blooming buds varied:
- white with a cream shade
- rich pink,
- bright maroon.
When buying seedlings, you need to pay attention to the frost resistance of the species. There are those whose cultivation is possible only in the south of the country. Fortunately, the Japanese azalea is bred for middle latitudes. It turned out thanks to crossing with the northern rhododendron. The resulting plants tolerate even 25 degrees of frost, planting and caring for them are not difficult.
What breeding method to choose?
An easy way - reproduction by cuttings. At an oblique angle, the cuttings are cut off at about 8 cm and the bud as well as the unblown leaves are removed. The cutting of a cutting with a pair of leaves is processed by a growth stimulator, and planting is done in pots. To prevent the roots from rotting, it is necessary to make enough drainage holes. The pots are covered with foil and set in a well-lit place at a temperature of 20-22 ° C.
Tip! The film should not come into contact with the seedling. There will be a rotting of its parts, which spread over the entire surface. For the same should not forget about the daily airing for an hour.
Rooting will happen in one month. The first sign that the Japanese beauty has grown roots and the proper care of the seedlings was the formation of new leaves. A month later, the young azalea is ready for planting in the flower beds. Soil can be composed of the following components:
- leafy ground
- coniferous land,
- hardened sand
Gardeners do not often use seed growing. Even the rooted azalea cuttings bloom only for the 2-3rd year, and planting and waiting for adult plants from the seed postpones this process for an even longer period. Some lovers of azaleas in the fall in the garden divide the bush into two parts. Knife it is cut in half and smeared the cut-off garden pitch. Such a method is not popular due to the further shaping required.
What is required for a successful landing?
If there are coniferous trees, then you will not have to determine the place for planting azaleas. In the shadow of their branches in the diffused light, care of the bushes is simplified. Under the bright sun, the Japanese guest begins to ache - the leaves shrivel, the shoots cease to form. Garden Azalea does not like strong gusts of wind and sudden changes in temperature. Late spring begins the cultivation and care of seedlings in the open field. The holes should be shallow (about 45 cm), but wide.
Tip! In order for the plant to bloom well, experts recommend laying a layer of drainage under the flowerbed. They remove the top layer of soil, and the broken brick is poured on the bottom. The main thing is that he does not have the ability to leach the soil.
High-quality care of the plant is possible only when it grows in the soil with a PH below 4.7. Landing requires acidification of the land with a solution of food-grade acid (a pinch on a bucket of water). For lush flowering of azaleas in the spring in the soil make organic fertilizer. Finishing planting in the open ground, carry out mulching of the flowerbed with the following materials:
- needles or bark of coniferous trees,
- oak leaves,
- chopped straw.
Mulching is necessary to preserve the soil moisture, protection from possible frost. Despite the fact that the care of azaleas requires abundant watering, a place for flower beds should not be swamped. Root rotting is unavoidable. The final stage of planting in the garden will be watering the land defended tap water.
What you need to know about care?
So that the Japanese azalea does not hurt, you need to take proper care of it. The root system of the plant is almost on the surface of the soil, so watering under the root will not work. Moisture should spread throughout the site. Watering should be in the morning or in the evening after sunset.
Tip! The azalea garden responds well to spraying. You can arrange for her shower every day. The exception is the flowering period - the flowers may become covered with ugly brown spots.
Japanese azalea does not need constant feeding. In the spring it is necessary to fertilize the soil with a strong extract of mullein. After flowering, care for the shrub requires the help of a weakened plant by making complex fertilizer. It is important that it does not contain chlorine.
- Permanently remove dried flowers. This will serve as an excellent stimulation for the formation of new buds.
- Cut pruning dry branches, which will contribute to the laying of new shoots.
- Regularly acidify the soil.
- Detect the presence of pests.
Tip! If the plant has ceased to bloom, and the leaves have lost turgor, then it hurts. Insecticide treatment will help from spider mites and thrips. When appearing on the leaves of discolored areas should acidify the soil. Brown spots on buds and leaves talk about the development of putrefactive processes. In such cases, spraying and watering the soil with fungicides (Fundazol, Oxy) will serve as salvation.
Caring for Japanese azalea garden implies autumn pruning. Long shoots are removed by a third, cut out dried branches. Gardeners lay the shape of a bush, they act according to the rule - the more you cut it off, the more it will grow in spring. The land in the flowerbed is poured, and the top is laid:
With the help of a wire frame, the branches of the azalea are bent to the ground and also covered. Cover material must be breathable. If winter has stood out with a small amount of snowfall, then it is worthwhile to build a snowdrift on your own. In the spring, the material is removed after establishing a positive temperature.
Despite the fact that the Japanese azalea grows slowly, it is rapidly acquiring new shoots. The bush increases in volume, begins to bloom and resembles a bright ball from a distance. If caring for a plant in the open field was correct, then after a couple of years a lot of balls will be scattered around the garden. What else should a grower?
Experts do not consider azalea a moody shrub. Easily rooted, loves water treatments and requires a transplant every three years. It is also a perennial, that is, planting does not require autumnal digging. And so acidify the soil for such a beauty is not difficult.
Growing conditions for azalea garden - choice of landing site
The main condition for the successful breeding of this ornamental shrub - the right choice of place for planting. On the shrub should not get direct sunlight. It is best to choose a shaded area in your garden. However, in the thick shadow of the azaleas will also be uncomfortable. The plant needs diffused sunlight.
The best place for planting garden azaleas is on the north side of the house. In such a place the plant will be illuminated by the sun in the morning and afternoon.
When choosing a place for planting azaleas in Japan, it should be borne in mind that different varieties need different degrees of shading. An evergreen plant requires constant ambient lighting. Deciduous varieties feel very comfortable in the shade of trees when the sun's rays break through the crowns.
Considerable importance is the neighborhood with other plants. Best of all, azalea garden is adjacent to larch and oak. It is not recommended to plant shrubs next to maple, poplar, linden - the roots of these trees go into the ground shallow and will take moisture from rhododendron. If it is not possible to settle the plants away from each other, it is possible to insulate the roots with a waterproof film or roofing material.
It is very important to protect the rhododendron from wind and drafts. It is not necessary to plant a shrub at the corner of the building and on the blown areas between buildings.
A good solution would be a site near a natural or artificial reservoir - in such places the air always has enough moisture. However, one should not allow flooding of the site during the spring thawing of snow.
How to plant azalea
The grade for planting is best to choose based on the characteristics of your backyard.
- When buying seedlings, carefully review their agrotechnical characteristics.
- It is best to acquire the plant in a spacious container with a large earthy clod. If a young plant is in cramped dishes, its root system will be underdeveloped.
- If the substrate in the pot is dry, the plant may not settle down on your garden plot.
- The branches of a young plant must be elastic and healthy. Sapling with weak shoots will be unviable.
Buying a sapling, you need to make sure that the plant is well attached to the soil. To do this, you can gently pull the base - a healthy seedling will reach from the pot along with an earthy clod.
It is also necessary to properly prepare the soil before planting in the ground. To do this, dig a hole 50 cm deep and 70–80 cm in diameter. Drainage is applied to the bottom with a layer of 20 cm. It is possible to use broken brick with sand. It is not necessary to use lime composition as a drainage - they can alkalize too much soil.
The purchased plant is removed from the container and placed in a pit together with an earth clod. Pre-thoroughly moisten the roots. If the soil in the container is dry, the earth lump should be immersed in water and wait until the bubbles stop moving.
The plant is placed in a pit so that the top of the earthen coma is at the level of the upper edge of the pit. The remaining space is covered with soil.. The surface is slightly compacted.
Care of a plant in an open ground
The rules for the maintenance of rhododendron in the open field at the dacha are as follows:
- Water the plant should be plentiful as soon as the top layer of soil dries. For irrigation use separated water, you can rain or from the pond. In August, the volume and frequency of watering should be drastically reduced in order to give the plant the opportunity to prepare for a rest period.
- Monthly, you can slightly acidify the soil. To do this, take the juice of 5 lemons and 5 liters of water. For a young plant, 1.5 liters of solution will suffice, and an adult will need 2.5 liters.
- Mulching can be done using dry foliage and pine needles. Do not use chestnut and maple leaves - they have an alkaline reaction and decompose very quickly. In the summer, a layer of mulch will protect the roots from drying out and overheating, and in the winter - from freezing. It should not be covered with a layer of mulch root shrub. A layer of mulch can be added as needed.
- Pruning azaleas garden spend as needed - remove all dried and damaged shoots and faded inflorescences. Places of removal are treated with linseed oil or garden pitch. If all the shoots of the plant are healthy, pruning can not be done. It is necessary to carry out crown correction only for old bushes and only after the end of flowering. You should not prune in the spring before flowering. You can remove shoots from the resulting flower buds.
- The azalea garden likes moist air, therefore needs regular spraying. You can simply arrange a water barrel in the garden next to the bush. It is not necessary to spray the bush during flowering - water gets on the flowers and damages them. You can do without additional care and watering in the fall or rainy summer.
- It is possible to feed the deciduous azalea in the spring - for this purpose, a solution of mullein is used. The second feeding is carried out before the onset of the flowering period. At this time, a mixture of mullein and potassium with phosphorus is used. You should not use for fertilizer pork or horse manure - only cow. Imported granulated fertilizers are not suitable for growing azaleas in the Russian climate - they are designed for six warm months a year and can lead to the freezing of unripe shoots. Not suitable for fertilizer and wood ash - it can leach the soil in the garden.
Diseases and pests
Azalea in the garden can be affected by the following diseases:
- Calcareous chlorosis is the most common disease of this ornamental shrub. The leaves of the shrub first brighten and then begin to turn yellow. A good prophylactic measure will be top dressing with peat and acid mixtures.
- Azaleas often affect fungal diseases - rust, rot, spotting. To treat these diseases need fungicidal agents.
- The defeat of necrosis can occur with a cold snap during the growing season and is expressed in the appearance of brown spots on the leaves.
- With the defeat of Fusarium, yellowing and withering of the stems of rhododendron is observed. This condition can be treated with Fundazole.
- If the plant lacks sunlight and does not carry out timely pruning - it can get septoriozom. This disease is characterized by red spots on the foliage and stems. To cope with this disease can be using fungicide.
For the prevention of disease, rhododendron needs treatment with “Hom” or “Oxy” agents. These drugs are used before flowering. At the end of the flowering period, foundation is used.
The most common pests of azaleas are rhododendron mites, spider mites, mealybugs, aphids, and black thrips. If there are signs of infection with parasites, it is necessary to use insecticidal agents.
Very often novice gardeners are faced with the question of why azalea does not bloom. Most likely, this is due to a violation of the rules of care - the plant lacks sunlight or moisture in the garden. Perhaps the air temperature is too high for rhododendron.
Wintering and transplanting garden azaleas
In autumn, the plant laid flower buds. How azalea blooms will directly depend on the quality of wintering. The plant must be prepared for winter very carefully. In the autumn, before the soil freezes, the shrub should be carefully watered.
To the plant had time to prepare for the winter, should not be dressing in the autumn.
Cover the root zone for the winter a protective layer of peat, pine needles or foliage. Young plants will need a layer of 5–7 cm. For adult tall shrubs, a layer of insulation of 20–30 cm is required.
Transplant azalea is best in the spring. If you do not have time to do this, you can transplant rhododendron immediately after flowering, but no later than September. Since the flower buds are laid in the fall, the next year after transplantation it is not necessary to expect active flowering.
Planting Japanese Azalea Care
Let's start the acquaintance with this shrub directly from the purchase and disembarkation on our site. There are several highlights in the issue of planting azalea garden and further care of it:
- All seedlings of this plant are buying exclusively in the spring. Pay attention to how the sapling is packed: it should be in a container or a box with a large amount of earth, always wet. A small and semi-dry lump of earth should alert you - a seedling in such conditions will be weak.
- Next, choose a place on the site. Shrub loves light, therefore open areas with diffused light would be the perfect place, but partial shade is allowed. Perfect place for a large tree. Hard straight rays can burn the azalea and it will begin to shed its leaves.
- No less demanding bush and very ground. Experienced gardeners are advised not to rely on luck, and prepare the soil for the bush on their own by mixing peat with sand and coniferous soil. The roots of the bush do not go very deep into the ground, and you will only need to replace about half a meter of layer.
- The very process of planting Japanese garden azaleas and caring for her are simple. We dig a hole half a meter, its width is about 70 cm. Be sure to lay a layer of drainage from broken brick. Next, we plant a sapling, water it abundantly and mulch with needles.
Growing azalea garden and basic care
There are only three basic conditions for successful cultivation: pruning, watering, and feeding. Важно вовремя уделить время кусту и обрезать его примерно через пару недель после окончания цветения. Полностью удаляют все увядшие побеги и явно лишние, остальные примерно на треть. Только тогда вы получите обильное цветение и в следующем году.
Важнейшим моментом в выращивании азалии садовой и уходе остается полив. Растение очень любит обильный полив и опрыскивание. Но здесь сложность заключается в самом балансировании между стремлением хорошенько полить растение, но не залить его чрезмерно. More closely monitor the condition of the soil should be in the flowering period. But spraying on this gap will have to stop so as not to darken the flowers. With the arrival of autumnal coolness, we gradually switch to moderate watering; in winter, it can be watered only under the condition of steady dry weather. As for feeding in the process of care, there will also have to work on glory with azalea garden. Fertilizer bush loves and will appreciate. Juveniles are fed with mullein in spring, and after the flowering period is over, the bushes need potash-phosphorus supplements. For mature bushes in the spring you need to prepare complex fertilizers. Pay attention to the fertilization process itself: I do this not at the root, but retreat from the center by about 20 cm. Chlorine and lime must be included in such a complex preparation.
Finally, as part of planting and caring for Japanese garden azalea, she cannot be denied preparation for winter. And you should not be afraid of frosts or winds themselves, but of a strong winter sun, which rather adversely affects the root system of the bush. If you have planted winter-hardy varieties, they should be watered abundantly enough at the very end of winter, then covered with a layer of needles or lapnik. If you prefer a deciduous form, you will have to bend the branches to the ground as much as possible and wait for the natural shelter from the snow.
The progenitor of this species is stupid rhododendrongrown in Japan. In Japanese gardens, it is used as a hedge, as the bushes are dense and high (about 1.5 m.). The plant is slow-growing, but well-branched.
The main advantage of the Japanese azalea is bloom. Around the end of May, it is covered entirely with flowers, behind which sometimes you can not even see the leaves. At the same time there are varieties that differ in terms of flowering. Picking them up on your site, you can achieve the total period of flowering up to two months.
Garden azalea flowers are distinguished by a variety of colors, sizes and textures. The most popular varieties of the Japanese rhododendron are: Carmesina, Rosalind, Melina, Rosinetta, Granny, Elste Lee, Blanik.
Different varieties and stem height. Basically it is a large sprawling bushes of beautiful shape.
See more photos of the Japanese rhododendron:
Where to plant?
The place for azaleas should be bright, but without direct sunlight. Excessive lighting will cause wrinkling of the leaves, the fall of the buds. In such conditions, the bush will be weak, prone to disease.
Ideal place for planting near artificial or natural reservoirs, as next to them enough moisture for the bush.
How to prepare the soil?
Azalea is very demanding on the composition of the soil. Its roots are located close to the surface, so even if there is inadequate soil in a suitable area, it is easy to replace.
Purchase a special soil mixture for rhododendrons in the trading networks. If this is not possible, mix sour turf, sand, peat and coniferous soil. The pit is a meter wide and half a meter deep filled with this mixture. Lay out a layer of drainage on the bottom (gravel, broken brick)
How to plant?
The purchased azalea seedling is removed from the shipping container. When planting, an earthen room should be moistened. If it is dry, put it in a container with water and hold it until bubbles disappear on the surface.
The moistened bush is immersed in a hole in the middle flush with the edges. The remaining space is filled with prepared soil substrate and compact the surface. Planting spill and mulch with a mixture of peat and needles.
Only irrigated water is suitable for irrigation. Do not water the azalea with water directly from the aqueduct, due to the content of lime lime and chlorine.
The soil under the azalea should be wet, but not too wet. From stagnant water azalea can rot. When the earth dries out, the azalea is under stress and, as a result, it sheds leaves and flowers.
Watering is stopped by the end of August. This is necessary to stop the growth of new shoots that can freeze in the winter and harm the plant.
What to feed?
Fertilizing is carried out with a special fertilizer every month from the end of March to August. Do not fertilize only in the first month after the habit.
They stop feeding in August, because at this time the plant starts preparing for winter. If you conduct additional feeding later, the growth of new shoots will begin and the plant may freeze in winter, without gaining strength for wintering.
15-20 days after flowering, pruning of the bush is performed. The purpose of the procedure is to remove wilted shoots, thinning. It is generally recommended to delete extreme branches. Sections are covered with garden pitch, paint or linseed oil. In addition to pruning during flowering need to remove withered buds. Pruning and removal of azalea flowers are necessary for laying new buds.
How to cover rhododendron for the winter?
Preparing for winter is an important stage of plant care. Before the onset of frost, do the following:
- Water-charging irrigation. It is carried out before the soil freezes, especially necessary in arid autumn.
- Mulching pristvolnogo circle. The layer of mulch should be at least 5 centimeters, it will protect the roots from freezing. Use pine needles, wood chips, chopped wood chips.
- If, according to weather forecasts, severe frosts are coming, the azalea must be additionally covered with material in several layers. This is done using a wire frame or U-shaped fittings installed crosswise. Between the bush and the shelter, leave a distance of at least 20 centimeters so that the material does not damage the bush. Raise one side of the shelter, providing air access. Fix the other sides with a load or pour it with earth. Finally, all parties can be closed only with the onset of stable frosts, with an average daily temperature of minus 10.
- Protection from the spring sun. Closer to spring, cover the bush additionally with covering material. This is to avoid burns of the plant in the spring. They take shelter after complete snow melting.
- Preventing root flooding with melt water. Drain the water in time so that the water does not stagnate under the bush, otherwise the azalea roots will rot.
05/04/2018 admin Comments No comments
Some people think that azalea is an exclusively indoor plant and that it is absolutely not suitable for cultivation in the open field. But actually it is not. There are many winter-hardy varieties that can tolerate poor conditions and even sub-zero temperatures. One of these varieties is Japanese azalea, planting and care for which does not require much time, effort, and will be able to even beginner growers.
Azalea Japanese garden - planting and care
Japanese Azalea - Basic Landing Rules
Azalea has a beautiful, stormy flowering shrubs, so it is almost impossible to see the leaves in it. The flower is planted as a supplement in landscape design, and also used instead of a hedge. Best of all, the azalea will look at small suburban areas.
Experts strongly recommend buying azalea seedlings only in specialized stores to be sure about the high quality of the product. The soil in the tank should be slightly wet, not overwetted and not dry. In order to understand whether a flower really has taken root in the ground, it is necessary to pull the stem of a plant. If the roots are quickly and easily removed, it means that the sapling has not taken root well.
The planting of the Japanese azalea takes place in the spring, immediately after the snow has melted. Before planting, it is recommended to dip the roots of the flower in a weak solution of potassium permanganate to prevent the occurrence of infection and pests.
Before you need to lower the roots of the flower in a weak solution of potassium permanganate
It should be noted that the azalea is a rather capricious plant, so you have to learn a little about the requirements for planting:
- Lighting. With the flower growing actively, it pleased you with its flowers. It is necessary to choose the most suitable place with a large amount of ultraviolet light. But direct sunlight can cause damage to the plant, so try to choose places with penumbra or diffused light. Also bad influence on the state of the flower have drafts.
- Priming. As with any plant, fertility and nutritious soil play an important role in azaleas. Today it is difficult to find a summer cottage with good land, so it is recommended to mix the soil with peat, humus or compost. If you cannot mix such soil yourself, you can always buy ready-made mixtures in specialized stores. Another nuance - the azalea has a surface root system, therefore it is necessary to replace only the surface layer.
- The hole The size of the hole should slightly exceed the size of the roots. To prevent water from stagnating at the bottom of the hole, it is important to install a small drainage system. This will create outflow of water and will prevent the root system from rotting. Saplings sit at a distance of 0.5 m from each other, so as not to create a shadow.
- Fertilizer. When planting, you can use some fertilizing, which are poured to the bottom of the hole, but there are some nuances. Simple nitrogenous fertilizers are inefficient, so choose fertilizers designed for acidic soils. Organic food is also suitable: compost, ash, humus, etc. Care should be taken only in the case of mullein, because its improper use can lead to damage to the root system and the occurrence of pests.
A mandatory requirement after planting is soil mulching, where you can apply needles, moss, bark or peat. Such a layer will help preserve the necessary amount of moisture and protect weak young roots from the destructive influence of ultraviolet radiation.
Azalea bloom photo
Japanese Azalea Care
Flower care is not difficult but requires timely action, otherwise the plant will grow poorly and rarely bloom:
- Crop. Immediately after the azalea has faded, it can be cut. Particular attention should be paid to withering and bad shoots, cutting branches to a third. In order not to lose the shape of a bush, it is necessary to trim symmetrically around the entire circumference of the bush. The cut is treated with a special substance - linseed oil or paint.
- Watering. The flower is not indifferent to regular and full watering, the poet should take care of abundant watering, especially at the time of flowering. But it is important not to flood the flower, otherwise the probability of his death is great.
- Top dressing.Fertilizers should be applied throughout the season: in spring, before flowering, after flowering. Top dressing is always brought not under the root of the bush, but at a short distance from it. You can use any mixture of fertilizers.
- Sheltering for the winter. Japanese azalea is a frost-resistant plant, but it needs shelter. Why? The fact is that even the winter sun can singe the root system of the flower.
So, the Japanese azalea, which is easy to plant and care for, can be a spectacular decoration of any territory. Even if you are a beginner gardener, you can grow and enjoy the beauty of this magnificently blooming shrub.
Photos of flowering bush
Among deciduous rhododendrons in garden centers, varieties are more common than natural species. But species can be found on sale.
One of the smallest species - Kamchatka rhododendron (Rhododendron camchaticum). The cushion bush does not exceed a height of 20 cm, with a diameter of up to 40 cm. The form with ascending shoots is known, reaching a height of 40 cm. It blooms from the first decade of June with large dense crimson flowers for such a miniature plant in 1-3 blossoms.
Not capricious, completely winter-hardy, different moderate growth rate. Good on the terraces of stony gardens, in the foreground of compositions with dwarf conifers.
Canadian Rhododendron (Rh. Canadense) refers to the early flowering.
Gustovettivshiesya bushes with age reach a height and a diameter of 1 m. Abundantly blooms with bright lilac, delicately carved flowers from the beginning of May until the leafing. If the spring is cool, then flowering lasts up to 3 weeks. White flowered form is also good. The species is completely winter-hardy, it stably blooms, but on drying out sandy soils it ages faster and requires replacement. Longer maintains decorativeness on moisture-intensive soils and while maintaining high humidity.
It looks beautiful in a single planting, in compositions with perennials, including early spring ephemeroids (proleski, hionodoksy, oak anemone), in group plantings near ponds, streams.
More plastic in culture rhododendron frazer (Rh. X fraseri). This is a hybrid of soft rhododendron, obtained about 100 years ago, but which appeared in our market only recently.
From the Canadian rhododendron, he inherited the elegant flower shape and dense branching of the shoots; from the soft rhododendron, a larger flower and good adaptability to various conditions in the garden. It blooms later than Canadian, from the second half of May.
It is good both in single, and in group plantings, especially with rhododendron yellow and yellow-flowered varieties.
Rhododendron yellow (Rh. Luteum), the so-called Pontic Azalea, is an unpretentious species that is often recommended for beginners. Indeed, it grows quickly, winters well, effectively blooms with very fragrant golden flowers in large inflorescences from mid-May for 3 weeks. Develops dense bushes about 150 cm in height and of the same diameter. Stunningly bright colored in the fall. Fully blooms and with moderate shading, but a harmonious bush forms only in a bright place. At the same time, in a fully lit open area suffers from overheating and dry air. The most difficult thing when cultivating this species is to find the optimal lighting. In large gardens, rhododendron yellow is planted in a group on the edges. In small gardens, in the middle or in the background, groups of evergreen and deciduous rhododendrons are good, among conifers (varieties of western tui, cypresses).
Japanese Rhododendron (R h. Japonicum) is a widespread winter-hardy species, which blooms steadily from the second half of May for 2-3 weeks.
The flowers are large, salmon-pink, and there is a very effective golden-flowered form. The bushes are on average about 100 cm tall, but there are also tall specimens.
Close view to it rhododendron soft (Rh. Molle) blooms at the same time, but the bush itself is somewhat smaller, the flowers are creamy yellowish, of a delicate shade.
Both species are not difficult in culture; they work well on light, windless areas. When shading, the shape of the bush suffers, flowering weakens. These plants look great among coniferous medium-sized (Western thuja, mountain pine) varieties, on the terraces of large rocky gardens, in group plantings with deciduous or evergreen species and varieties.
Atlantic Rhododendrons (Rh. Atlanticum), pink (Rh.
Azalea Japanese garden, planting and care
prinophyllum) and adhesive (Rh. Viscosum), - North American species. Adult specimens reach a height of 100-120 cm, pink rhododendron is 140 cm. Small, fragrant flowers in a white and pink tones are decorated with far-reaching stamens, buds are more intensely colored than flowers. Blossoming later - from the beginning of June, and at rhododendron sticky - from the second half-end of June. Plants are unpretentious, winter-hardy, bloom well in partial shade. Good in single and group planting, among perennials of natural flora, in the formation of flowering "undergrowth" on the edge.
It is impossible not to mention, at least briefly, such rare ones for sale, but remarkably beautiful and stable species, such as:
Rhododendron Schlippbach (Rh. Schlippenbachii) is one of the largest flowering species. Pale pink flowers bloom early, from the end of April - the beginning of May.
Adult bushes reach a height of 150 cm and the same in diameter. A plant with a very beautiful autumn foliage color. In the culture, this rhododendron is difficult - the buds that are ready to bloom often fight back frosts, it is also difficult to please the landing site. Saplings develop quite slowly.
Of the deciduous rhododendron varieties, the most widely represented on our market Knapp-Hill-Exbury Hybrids.
They are usually winter-hardy, but not all of us bloom profusely every year. That is, the stability of flowering varies greatly from cultivar to cultivar. Among belotsvetkovye giant size of the flower is different Schneehold (Schneegold). Spreading bush with a good growth rate. Among the orange varieties, be sure to pay attention to Gibraltar (Gibraltar). He also has large orange-orange flowers, dense inflorescences, rather dense bushes.
Red varietiesAs a rule, they form erect little-standing bushes, and it is very difficult to achieve flowering over the entire surface of the crown. Fireworks (Feuerwerk), a very beautiful, deep red color in flowers of the Nabucco variety (Nabucco) are well-blooming. The ideal shape of the bush is different Tasso (Il Tasso). The flowers are strawberry-red, fragrant, with a double halo. A beautiful, dense, flowering shrub forms also Silver Slipper. The flowers are soft cream, with anthocyanin leaves. In the fall, they are an unusual violet-purple color.
Of course, this is far from an exhaustive list of Nap Hill-Exbury varieties tested in our conditions, only some are given for example.
The height of ten-year bushes of varieties of this group is from 80 cm (for low varieties) to 140 cm (for tall ones). The beginning of flowering - from the end of May in the early ones, to mid-June - in the late ones. Несомненные достоинства этих растений — разнообразие окрасок и форм цветков, величина соцветий, плотность фактуры лепестков, длительность цветения (до 4 недель). При этом соцветия практически не страдают от дождя и росы. Для полноценного развития сортам этой группы требуется полностью освещенное безветренное место.
Другая вполне перспективная группа сортов — Гент (Ghent)-гибриды.
Among them are varieties of one and a half century ago — Narcissiflora (light yellow flowers with a double corolla), Daviesii (Daviesii), and the most recent, which appeared in Finland, are white Illusion (Illusion) and luminous red of different shades of Adalminta, Aamursko (Aamursko).
All of them are winter-hardy, tolerate Ghent-hybrid Narcissiflora partial shade, grow quickly enough. On average, varieties of this group are higher than Knapp-Hill-Exbury hybrids.
So called Mollis (Mollis) - Azaleas - hybrids Japanese and soft rhododendrons.
Rhododendrons are completely stable and consistently blooming with flowers of different shades of yellow and red. Demanding lighting. In size comparable with the original species.
The most varieties of winter-hardy and flourishing include the Northern Lights varieties of the Nothern Lights series. They are obtained in the last thirty years in Minnesota, USA.
North American winter-hardy species and hybrids from the Knapp-Hill-Exbury groups were included in the hybridization program.
All varieties of this series grow rapidly, bloom profusely and develop a well-shaped bush in the sun and in partial shade. The size of the flowers inferior to the group Knapp-Hill-Exbury, but the number of inflorescences exceed it.
Use in the garden varieties of deciduous rhododendrons can be different. They will decorate the woody-shrub mixborder, any composition with conifers, with perennials. Appropriate in the large rocky gardens, in compositions, stylized by Japanese and Chinese motifs.
Large species and varieties (Rh. X knaphii, x mollis, viscosum, candensis, flavum, etc.) rejuvenate once ...
Azalea is very fond of flower growers. The azalea flower is quite beautiful and it blooms in winter, when the bulk of flowering plants have already blossomed. Today, the publication “My Choice” tells how to properly care for azalea.
Azalea is very fond of flower growers. The azalea flower is quite beautiful and it blooms in winter, when the bulk of flowering plants have already blossomed. Today, the publication “My Choice” tells how to properly care for azalea.
There are two types of indoor azaleas - Indian azalea and Japanese azalea.
Azalea is a small evergreen shrub up to 50 cm in height. The leaves are small, leathery, on top they are dark green, below are light green.
Japanese azalea - the most popular types and basics of their care
The flowers are collected in the inflorescence, can be double or not. Flowers are usually bright red or white, sometimes you can find two-color or dotted.
Azalea - naughty indoor flower. Very often the store bought azalea disappears in a few weeks. But if you create all the necessary conditions, the plant can grow more than one year.
Azalea loves coolness. The temperature in the room should not be above 18 degrees. In winter, it can safely stand in the glazed loggias until the temperature drops below +5. Indoors, azaleas should be placed on the northern or western windows, away from dry air and heating systems. If you stick to the temperature, the azalea will bloom. If you do not adhere to the temperature and the room will be dry, then azalea flowers can quickly fall off.
The flower loves moisture. Therefore, the soil of the plant should be constantly wet, but not wet. When the temperature decreases, watering is reduced; at high air temperatures, watering is increased and sprayed. In summer, azalea must be watered twice a day - in the morning and in the evening.
Azalea does not like direct sunlight, they destroy it. But the lighting should be bright. Therefore, the place should be well lit, but not in direct sunlight.
After flowering, azalea must continue to care for. All faded flowers must be removed, brown leaves too. A month later, after the end of flowering, when the first young leaves appear, pinch the top of the shoots. This procedure must be repeated three times a year. In July or early August, this procedure is done for the last time. Pinching allows you to improve the growth and flowering plants. If young leaves appear near the formed buds, they should be removed.
The azalea is transplanted once every two years after the end of flowering. For planting plants take wide flat pots, as the roots of the flower are arranged horizontally, and special soil for azaleas. When transplanting it is not necessary to fall asleep root neck, because it may die. Replanting should be careful not to damage the root system. In the spring, azalea can be landed on the street, in a shaded place.
The azalea is propagated by cuttings. Occupation is very difficult, so it is often bought in the store.
Azalea, like all home plants, is prone to disease. Most often, diseases arise from improper temperature conditions and disruption of the irrigation system. If the azalea starts to hurt, its leaves become sluggish, and the buds fall. In addition, the plant may appear spider mite. It appears under the leaves as small red dots. To prevent this from happening, spray the flower and keep it clean.
Description: varieties and varieties of Japanese azaleas
Japanese azalea is an evergreen shrub, which in its beauty can easily compete with the rose recognized queen of flowers. Photos from the works of landscape designers from Japan demonstrate: in their homeland, this culture is used not only to decorate flowerbeds, but also as a hedge, reaching a height of 2-3 m. True, in Central Russia, garden azalea will not overcome the 0 mark. 5 m - affects the climate.
Japanese beauty blooms profusely, but not for long. If you pick up varieties with different flowering phases, in total, you will be able to admire the beauty of azaleas for up to 1.5-2 months. Different types of culture differ in size of flowers and their shades, for example:
- Petticoat - pink,
- Ledikanense - purple,
- Schneeperle is white.
Planting in open ground
Start planting in the spring when the snow melts. The site must be not blown, light, but without exposure to direct sunlight. The best part of the penumbra or diffused lighting. The soil is fertile, well loosened. Buy a mixture for azaleas or make it yourself by mixing the ground from under the conifers with peat, sand, compost. The roots of the plant lie about 0.5 m, so you can replace only the top layer of soil.
Council Make drainage from broken bricks or gravel for azaleas.
The width of each hole is 0.7–1 m, the depth is 0.5 m. In this case, the thickness of the drainage layer should be 15–20 cm. After rooting, the seedling is plentifully watered and mulched. To do this, take a mixture of peat and needles. You can take moss and bark. Sprinkling the mulch, the root neck of the plant is left on the surface.
Japanese beauty care
- Watering is plentiful, especially in the flowering phase. It is necessary to monitor the top layer of soil and wet in the morning or in the evening the whole area near the azalea. Water is only separated. In August, watering is stopped.
- Spraying - all the time, excluding the flowering period.
- Removal of dried inflorescences and dry branches - one of the main conditions of care. Stimulates the emergence of new buds and shoots.
- Crop - starts 2 weeks after the azalea has fully bloomed. The branches throughout the plant are shortened by about 1/3. The bush is formed, guided by the rule: the more you cut in the fall, the more you grow in the spring.
- Shelter for the winter. Without this, complete care is not possible, because azalea roots can die from the winter sun. At the end of autumn, the soil is poured with water; coniferous branches, peat, and straw are put on top. The branches of the bush are bent to the ground, fixed with a wire frame and covered with a material that lets air through.
Fertilizing and feeding azaleas
In spring, young plants need fertilizer with a solution of cow dung. Adult bushes at the same time should be fed complex drugs. After flowering, azalea is fertilized with phosphorus-potassium compounds (proportion: 1: 2). Make it all you need not at the root, but at a short distance from it - about 0.2 m.
Some types of dressings are good not only as a basis for care, but also as prevention:
- nitrogen helps the plant to produce "immunity" and cope with diseases and pests,
- copper fertilizers in the initial phase of the growing season reduce the likelihood of infection by fungi.
Attention! Azalea does not tolerate fertilizer with lime and chlorine, as well as ash.
Plant reproduction. The most popular way
When growing garden azaleas in the open field, the seed multiplication method is rarely used, because in this case you have to wait a long time for the result. A faster, and therefore popular, method is grafting. Processes up to 10 cm long are cut from the tops of the mother plant. Do it at an angle of 45. On each handle should be 2-3 healthy leaves.
For effective reproduction and acceleration of root formation, the lower cut of the shoot is treated with a growth stimulator. The cuttings are placed in peat or disposable cups with peat, in which a hole is made for draining. The cut should be at a depth of 2-3 cm. Next - watering and covering the containers with film (it should not touch the processes).
Care of the shoots should include:
- maintaining temperature regime - around +22 С,
- regular airing (you need to start a week after landing),
- sufficient moistening of peat.
With this method of reproduction cuttings rooted for 1.5-2 months. After that, they can be planted in open ground.
Combination with other plants in landscape design
Azalea is good for both single and group plantings in the open field. If you like the second option, decorate the site, having landed several copies at a distance of 2x2 m (maximum - 10 pcs.). A good backdrop for the Japanese species - conifers. Judging by the photo, a wonderful composition is obtained in an ensemble with perennials, which have beautiful decorative leaves: funky, ferns, rogers. If they bloom at the same time as the azalea, select those plants that have flowers of white shades.
Beautifully looks fragile culture in combination with heather and other varieties of rhododendrons. They have the same preferences with regard to the composition of the soil. Remember that azalea is a low flower. Therefore, do not plant bright, tall plants next to them in order to fully enjoy the brief flowering of the Japanese beauty.