Many, year after year, they are trying to grow an excellent harvest of root crops on their land, but every time planting carrots is disappointing. Problems such as long and unremarkable germination of seeds, deformed and tasteless root vegetables are often attributed to poor quality seeds. But that's not the point. Carrot cultivation technology has some secrets that allow you to accelerate germination, do without thinning and grow beautiful vegetables.
Seed preparation for planting
Seeds of carrots contain a large amount of essential oils. This is a kind of protection and for a long time does not allow moisture to penetrate through the shell into the seed. When sowing unprepared seeds on a bed, this process takes about 20 days, and then provided that the soil is constantly wet. Water beds have to be daily, because if the seeds are dry, they will not be able to ascend.
It is possible to accelerate the germination, if before planting (several days before sowing) to carry out preliminary processing. To remove the essential oil from the seed coat, rinse them with warm water. Seeds are poured into a small bag of cotton fabric and soaked in warm water. Water is changed every 3-4 hours, and the procedure lasts 2-3 days.
If at the site of root crops are often affected by diseases and pests, then after washing the bag can be placed in a special solution of sodium humate or potassium humate. Prepare a solution at the rate of 1 teaspoon of humate per 1 liter of water. The water should be warm, about 30 ° C, and it should be soaked for 24 hours. Instead of a solution of humate, you can use a solution of wood ash. To do this, 1 tablespoon of fertilizer is diluted in 1 liter of warm water and filtered.
To reduce the risk of disease in carrots can be, if after soaking hold hardening in the refrigerator. A bag of seeds is washed in running water, squeezed and placed in a refrigerator for 5 days. It is necessary to ensure that it does not dry out. Then the seeds are lightly dried on a dry cloth so that they acquire flowability, and start sowing.
Seed check for germination and pre-germination
Before planting carrots in the country, it is necessary to check the seeds for germination. Do it for 1-2 months before landing. Seeds are soaked for 2-3 days in warm water and sown in a small box with the ground. Germination is determined from how many seeds are grown from the seeds. Considered good seed, showed germination of about 80%. If less than 50% of the seeds have risen, it is better to replace them so as not to waste time on sowing new ones and not to miss the dates. If it is not possible to replace the seed, it should be sown thicker than usual, and then, if necessary, thin out.
To be sure that the required number of carrots will rise, and to accelerate the emergence of seedlings, seeds can be germinated. After the soaking and hardening procedure, the seeds should be spread out in a thin layer on a damp cloth, cover the top with the same cloth. Make sure that the moisture does not evaporate; if necessary, spray it with water from a spray bottle. After a few days, the seeds will swell, and a little later, tiny sprouts will appear. The fabric on top can be covered with cling film, but it will have to be ventilated to prevent mold.
For germination is not recommended to use cheesecloth. Seed sprouts can become tangled and break when they have to be removed for sowing.
After sowing, germinated seeds sprout quickly, after 5-7 days the first leaves appear.
You can prepare seeds for planting without soaking and germination. This is the old way: a bag of seeds is placed on wet, damp earth. Do it for 10-14 days before sowing.
- Dry seeds are placed in a bag of cotton or flax.
- On the site in the shadows dig a hole on the spade bayonet.
- Place a bag of seeds on the bottom and bury it.
- After a fixed period of digging, dried and sown.
Growing carrots in this way allows you to see shoots after 5 days.
The timing of planting carrots
The term of planting carrots is determined depending on the region. In the central zone of Russia, sowing can be done after April 20 and before the beginning of May. In cold regions (in the Urals, in the Leningrad Region), landing is carried out later - after May 10. Such periods are optimal for planting carrots in the usual way, when dry seeds are sown in the ground.
If the seeds are prepared in advance, the planting can be carried out later in the summer. Deadline - June, to 15 numbers. The same applies to late varieties that are planned to be stored for winter storage. If the late varieties are planted early and kept in the soil until the end of September, then additional roots will grow on the roots, and this will reduce the shelf life.
Many practice planting carrots in late autumn, and how many to sow - depends on the weather. The main conditions for autumn planting:
- the bed and furrows on it must be prepared in advance,
- separately prepare containers with soil, which will fill the grooves, and put them in a warm place so that the earth does not freeze,
- sow dry seeds, watering the planting is not necessary,
- piled up with prepared ground.
When planting carrots, in spring or autumn, everyone chooses for himself. But practice shows that during autumn plantings, weather conditions affect the safety of seeds in the soil and their germination, and planting carrots in the spring is more effective than in the fall. In both cases, the crop ripens simultaneously.
The bed for root crops should be prepared in the fall. All roots, slivers and stones are carefully selected from the soil. If the root of the carrot in the path of growth meets an obstacle, it begins to bend.
Carrots do not like manure and lime. Correct organic matter will be applied to the garden bed in the fall, and in the spring, when re-digging, add mineral fertilizers. For good growth, root crops need potassium and phosphorus. If organic fertilizers are applied in the fall, then it is not necessary to apply nitrogen in the spring. With a large amount of nitrogen, carrots build up a lot of tops to the detriment of the root. Fertilizing carrots again, during the summer, is not necessary.
Carrots should be sown in the grooves, which make at a distance of 5-7 cm from each other. The depth of the furrow is determined depending on the type of soil. On clay soils, the optimum depth is 1.5 cm, on light, sandy ones, 2.5-3 cm. The bottom of the furrow should be compacted with a plate and, if the soil is dry, shed with warm water.
To protect against pests, the bed can be sprinkled with salt before sowing.
It is not necessary to sow seeds densely: when thinning, the roots of the nearby shoots can be damaged. If thinning is unavoidable, do it better in the first week after the sprouts appear. Young seedlings are easier to recover.
Care before germs is watering, but it should be done carefully. When watering with a strong jet, the seeds are drawn deep into the ground, which may prevent them from rising.
The bed can be covered with a thin white agrofiber and watered over it from a watering can with a fine strainer. This will not allow the seeds to go deep and increase the temperature of the soil, which will have a positive effect on germination.
To protect against pests between carrots can be planted marigolds, calendula. Other root vegetables can not be grown on the same bed with carrots.
How to avoid thinning
If the carrot is planted in the usual way, then after it has risen, it is necessary to carry out thinning. You can avoid this procedure if:
- before sowing, mix the seeds with sand in a ratio of 1: 5,
- glue the seeds onto a tape made of rapidly decomposing paper
- to plant carrots in cardboard boxes from under the eggs.
Growing on a ribbon is only suitable if the seeds are not first germinated. To do this, cut into 3 cm wide strips of thick toilet paper and prepare a flour paste: 1 tablespoon of flour is diluted with water to a slurry and poured into hot water, which is low on fire. The mixture is brought to a boil and turned off. When it cools, you can add 1 gram of boric acid - to prevent carrot disease.
The paster is applied onto the strips with a brush and the seeds are laid out 2 pieces at a distance of 4-5 cm from each other. On the bed of the strip is laid after the paste dries. If all ascend, then the extra will have to be removed. It is better to cut them with scissors, so as not to damage the root of a neighboring plant.
For another method of planting using cardboard packaging for eggs. They are tightly laid out in the garden, plentifully watered. Humus is poured into each cell. Seeds are laid out in 2 pieces and covered with earth. After the emergence of seedlings excess sprouts are removed.
Bottom in the cells cut is not necessary. Under the influence of moisture, it quickly decomposes and allows the root to grow freely. At first, the boxes will serve as mulch and reduce the need for weeding.
If there is no possibility to constantly be on the site and water the beds with planted carrots in anticipation of germination, it is better to prepare the seeds and germinate them. This will speed up the time of germination and increase seed germination several times.
To avoid injury to the roots when thinning, you can use one of the above methods. This will allow to get even, large root crops without flaws and deformation.
Sowing carrots without thinning
How to sow carrots so as not to thin out later? Sowing, of course, can be done in a thicker way, with a so-called stock, but today the price of such seeds is not cheap. Also, when thinning carrots, those plants that have been removed cannot be planted again, since there will be no sense from them. This is justified by the fact that even despite the beautiful appearance they will not grow to full, and the fruits will be ugly.
It is very important to ensure that the seeds are sown evenly when sown on the bed. It is for this purpose that gardeners have come up with many options that will solve this problem. These are the options we give you further.
In sour solution
So, how to plant carrots in a sour solution? Experts in this case recommend starch paste as the so-called liquid carrier. What is he like? You will need to do the following:
- Mix about 30 grams of starch per liter of water.
- Seeds that have already germinated slightly need to be mixed with this mixture.
- This must be done right before sowing and only two grams of seeds will be suitable for the amount of the mixture.
- Seeds need to be mixed so that they are evenly distributed throughout the container with the liquid.
- The solution must be poured into this container as accurately as possible with an extremely thin stream.
Other ways of planting carrots without thinning
If you do not wish to thin out in the future, then many professionals recommend using manual format planters. A great example in this case could be a machine called Maple-1. With the help of it you can ensure the correct penetration of seeds into the soil, to the depth that you specify. This method of sowing improves work and saves time by about five times. Seeds at the same time do not suffer and are used rationally. The price of such a device is about 3,000 rubles.
Then we bring to your attention the process of planting carrots by hand with various auxiliary ideas. How to plant carrots, so as not to thin out?
Sowing with sand
Sowing with the use of sand involves the use of carrot seeds and sand. The proportions of such cases should be as follows:
The mixture that you get you need to moisten with water, and then leave for 30 minutes. During this period of time you have the opportunity to pitch for planting seeds. In these pits after a certain period of time it is necessary to place your mixture and cover it with soil. This method does not always give the desired result, but this type of planting will always be able to retain moisture and nutrients in the soil.
With the help of paste
This method of sowing involves the use of ordinary wheat flour, which you will need in the amount of one spoon. Reconnect it with water, which is pre-boiled. Also, after the reunion of the mixture, it must also be boiled on a small fire for about seven minutes. After that, the mixture should be cooled to a temperature of about 30 degrees.
Seeds are placed in this paste. It needs to be poured into a plastic bottle, and then poured into a shallow type groove. This method of planting is distinguished by the fact that carrots ripen early enough and give immediate fruit.
The benefits of root vegetables
Carrots are full of many beneficial substances. By eating its roots, you can keep your body healthy for many years. The fruit of the plant contains:
- beta carotene (provitamin A). This substance gives the vegetable a characteristic bright orange color,
- vitamin A. It strengthens the immune system well, protects against the harmful effects of solar substances and radiation, is good for the eyes and can improve eyesight or serve as a means of preventing its deterioration,
- B vitamins. Promote the release of energy from other substances
- antioxidants. Prevent cell damage to the body
- alimentary fiber. Improve the intestinal microflora.
Carrots are rich in other vitamins (C, E, K, P). It consists of calcium, magnesium, chlorine, aluminum, selenium, potassium and iron.
In addition, carrots - one of the lowest-calorie vegetables. 100 g of root contains 41 kcal.
Using carrots ethnoscience fights many diseases:
- eye disease. To improve the view, they take grated carrots with vegetable oil added to it,
- to improve digestion. Fiber contained in the root, improves intestinal function, helps to remove harmful substances from the body,
- from kidney and liver diseases. Carrot juice helps to quickly remove excess fluid from the body, cleans the kidneys from sand accumulation,
- skin diseases. Masks of carrots heal wounds, eliminate acne, smooth skin. Root contains substances that slow down skin aging,
- to enhance immunity. Eating carrots improves metabolism and increases resistance to pathogenic bacteria and viruses,
- for cancer prevention. In carrots there is a huge amount of antioxidants that prevent the occurrence of cancer,
- to strengthen the heart and blood vessels. The potassium contained in this vegetable is essential for the proper functioning of the heart.
Carrots are healthy and tasty!
Plant carrots in the spring directly in open ground. In the southern regions, it is possible to plant at the end of March, in places with a temperate climate, a root crop can be planted as early as the end of April. There are various methods of planting.
Seed soaking. Seeds of carrots have a very small size. When dry planting a large number of seeds falls into the groove. When shoots, plants drown out each other's growth, they have to thin out. To protect yourself from unnecessary work and grow large healthy fruits, it is better to apply the method of soaking seeds. For this you need:
- put the seeds in water that should be slightly warm. Let the seeds swell for 2 hours,
- Move to a damp cloth. Cover the grains with a damp cloth,
- moisten the seeds by constantly sprinkling them with water,
- Hardening: as soon as sprouts appear, put them in cold for 10 days.
After the expiration of the hardening period, the seeds are planted in the ground, trying to lower the shoots into the groove at some distance from each other, so that they do not have to thin out as they grow. The bed is plentifully watered. Care must be taken to keep the soil moist. In such conditions, the shoots will quickly harden, and the first shoots will appear quite early.
Sowing in a linen bag. The original method of preparing seeds for planting:
- put the seeds in the bag, tightly tie up its top,
- after the snow melts, a small hole is dug in the ground, where a bag of seeds is placed, sprinkled on top of it. Leave a special label to make this place easy to find,
- two weeks later, they dig up the pouch and carefully remove the germinated seeds,
- sand is added to the furrows prepared for landing. The soil is stirred and sprouted shoots are dipped into it. Plentifully watered
- covered with a film for insulation,
- After a week, the film is removed. Grown up plants need to be watered well.
When planting in this way you can get quite large fruits of carrots, which are well preserved.
The method of mixing seeds with sand. To protect themselves from further thinning of older plants, apply this method of planting as mixing carrot seeds with sand:
- To half a bucket of sand add two full tablespoons of seeds. Mix well
- pour the mixture a small amount of warm water, mix again,
- form small lumps and lower them into the grooves,
- cover with earth and water abundantly,
- continue to moisten the soil from time to time.
When using this method, seedlings do not need to thin out, and the weeds on the beds will be less. In addition, the fruits of carrots will grow dense, large and smooth. Уровень урожайности корнеплодов будет довольно высоким.
«Бабушкин» метод. Можно посадить морковь, используя старый метод:
- в пол-литровую банку наливают воду,
- высыпают туда семена моркови,
- банку встряхивают,
- получившуюся взвесь набирают в рот и разбрызгивают на грядку,
- присыпают землёй,
- обильно поливают.
This method is not ideal, but it is better than dry planting seeds in open ground.
Use of paste. Another way to help protect yourself from the need for further thinning of the landing.
It will require flour and water:
- cook paste In one liter of cold water stir a tablespoon of wheat flour. The solution is put on a slow fire and brought to a boil,
- paste is cooled to 35 degrees,
- pour the sticky mass into the prepared seeds. All mixed thoroughly,
- mass is distributed along the furrow, gently pouring it in a thin stream, and sprinkled with earth,
- pour water.
Vegetables planted in this way will quickly ripen and will be large and especially juicy.
Method of sticking seeds on toilet paper. Using this unusual method, further thinning of the seedlings can also be avoided:
- of conventional roll toilet paper cut into strips equal to the length of the furrow,
- brew paste, adding a little boric acid. It will protect the seeds from possible diseases,
- throughout the length of the paper tape, carrot seeds are distributed,
- from above the seeds are again poured with paste,
- give the stripes to dry,
- after drying the paper is rolled into rolls,
- when it is time to land, the rolls unfold, place the strips in the furrow and sprinkle them on top of the ground,
- plentifully watered the soil with plantings.
The resulting seedlings feed, loosen the earth and watered abundantly with water.
Sowing using household tools. Plant carrot seeds can, using the tools used in everyday life. For this fit salt shakers, a sieve, seeders. You can prepare such devices yourself, having made holes in plastic bottles that are equal to the diameter of the grain.
Seeds fall asleep in the selected planter and spread along the furrow. Abundantly watered.
Drazhirovanie. The coating method allows to select the most viable seeds for further planting, so that you can achieve better yields and get large, strong fruits.
For seed coating need to:
- select the largest healthy seeds,
- fill them with water
- after a while, remove all the grains that float to the surface. They are not viable. Seeds suitable for planting will settle on the bottom, and they will be used to grow carrots,
- add potassium permanganate to the water to obtain a pink solution. Leave the seeds in this solution overnight. Potassium permanganate helps to remove essential oils, which will accelerate the germination of grains,
- in the prepared furrows pour a thin layer of flour,
- on a layer of flour evenly spread the seeds and covered them with earth.
Completes all the watering plants.
How to prepare carrot seeds for planting
Every gardener knows that carrots come out tight. This is due to the fact that the seeds of the root are saturated with essential oils, which impede germination.
You can speed up the process of emergence of friendly shoots. Here the main task of the gardener is to wash the esters from the seeds.
1. Seeds are placed in a fabric bag and tightly knotted.
2. In a glass type warm water, the temperature of which is 45-50C.
3. A bag of seeds is placed in a glass and kept until the water is completely cooled.
4. Painted water is drained.
The procedure is done twice, after which the bag is opened and the seeds are dried to a free-flowing state. Now the planting material is ready.
Important!After processing, seeds germinate twice as fast as usual.
How to plant carrots without thinning (photo)
If there is no time and desire to constantly mess around in the beds with carrots, use proven methods from experienced gardeners. You do not need to buy expensive granular seeds and special tools. Everything you need for planting without thinning, there is in every home.
You can make a ribbon for planting carrots on your own, which saves time for thinning and money to buy ready-made. To do this, you will need regular toilet paper and a paste of starch and water.
1. The paper is cut into strips 2 cm thick. The length of the strips is equal to the length of the bed.
2. Droplets of paste are distributed at a distance of 2.5-3 cm from each other.
3. Seeds are placed on a paste and allowed to dry.
The advantage of this method is that you can prepare the tape in advance at home in the winter. It’s easy to store the ribbons until it is planted; just twist them into a roll. On each roll put the name of the variety. The seedlings are friendly because all the seeds are at the same depth. It is not necessary to thin the shoots, they are distributed at an optimal distance.
The finished strips are simply laid out in pre-prepared beds and sprinkled with earth. This method of planting gives great yields.
Tip!To increase the yield of carrots, mineral fertilizers are added to the paste.
Syringe as a planter for carrots
A ready carrot planter is a plastic container, at the bottom of which a dispenser is located. When there is pressure on the piston, the seeds through the dispenser into the ground. For this purpose, you can use an ordinary medical syringe.
Seeds fall asleep in a flask and at the same distance placed on the bed. To get the shoots uniform, try to keep the same depth of seed placement.
Sowing carrots with egg trays
Paper trays from eggs will be useful for sowing carrots to distribute the seeds at the same distance from each other. This method allows you to grow carrots without thinning.
1. Prepare and align the bed in advance.
2. Two paper trays are put one into the other to make a solid construction.
3. The convex side presses the trays to the ground so that holes remain.
4. Spread the carrot seeds into the prepared wells.
Preparing beds before planting carrots
Whatever way you planted carrots, the bed before sowing must be prepared.
Even in the fall, a place for planting is digging up and bringing rotted manure, potash salt and superphosphate. Do not use lime, ash and a lot of nitrogen fertilizers, carrots do not like it.
If the fall late with the preparation of beds, it does not matter. In the spring, they dig up the soil two weeks before planting so that the bed will settle. Carrots love thick earth.
A good harvest can be achieved when growing carrots in a wide-range way. Form a bed about 15-20 cm wide, on the edges of which planted onions. This will prevent the appearance of carrot flies. Inside the received rut carrots are planted in any way described above.
As the roots grow, the garden bed is mulched with mowed grass or sprinkled with earth. This will not allow the green tips to form at the edges of the carrots.
Carrot care outdoors
To get a good harvest of carrots, it is important to observe only a few points:
• timely loosening of the soil,
To facilitate the work will help mulching beds, then constantly loosen the ground and remove weeds is not necessary. Mulch inhibits the growth of weeds, the soil under it remains moist and loose.
But watering carrots should be taken seriously. The first reason for sluggish and bitter root vegetables is improper watering.
The bed should be saturated with moisture to a depth of 30 cm. To do this, it is better to use drip irrigation. Since a lack or excess of moisture affects the taste of root crops, it leads to cracking and excessive growth of the foliage.
Water carrots once a week. At the same time after sowing on 1 square. m beds spend only 3 liters of water. After the shoots appear, and the tops grow older, the rate is increased to 10 liters per 1 sq. Km. m. When the tops close, the formation of root crops takes place, here the water consumption is up to 20 liters per unit area.
1.5 months before harvesting, the amount of water is reduced to 10 liters, and a week or two before harvesting, they stop watering the bed altogether.
If the place for planting was prepared according to all the rules and all the fertilizers are applied, then it is not necessary to additionally feed the carrots. There is a need to feed the roots when, before planting, they forgot about fertilizers. Use soluble mineral complexes that contribute in two stages. The first time in a month after germination, the second - after 1.5 from the previous one.
Planting seeds in granules
This method is the simplest among many other options. It does not require the use of certain devices to improve the fit. Seeds that have undergone drainage in advance, you just need to expand on the pits, with an interval of about 7 cm. Such seeds should be covered with a special shell.
If further care of the crop is properly implemented, thinning will not be necessary in the future. If you want to get 100%, then you need to buy carrots exclusively from trusted companies.
How to plant carrots with tape?
First of all, it is important to note that this type of planting implies toilet paper or any other paper of not dense composition, the width of which is two centimeters, as the so-called improvised means. A layer of so-called paste that we previously made from water and starch is applied to such paper. This mixture is simply applied to these strips, and then the seeds are laid out. Then this tape is placed in the hole and covered with earth. You can also add a little fertilizer so that the carrots grow faster and produce their fruits.
The gardener is aware that fertilizers for carrots are used during cultivation, from planting to the period of root formation. In this article you can learn how to choose the right fertilizer for carrots.
This method is special for its immediate originality:
- On the basis of its seeds in the winter are placed in a certain bag, and in the spring the seeds in the same form are transferred to the pit.
- After about two weeks, the seeds will produce certain sprouts. After that, they can be distributed in the pits and covered with soil along with sand.
- Next, a bed with seeded carrots must be covered with a film so that it does not freeze during the frost.
With this method it is possible to achieve maximum results in terms of the number of fruits and their quality. The fruit becomes large and differs not small saturation of mineral substances.
This method is also distinguished by its singularity. It is also worth noting that not everyone will want to use it in action. After you open the pack, you need to pour the seeds into a glass. Then they are filled with water and mixed. Need to pre-pits for landing. Then we take a glass and pour part of the mixture into our mouths, and then pour it into the hole and bury it. And so with all the seeds when planting. This method has come down to us since ancient times.
Features carrot seeds: where did the need for thinning
Carrot is a difficult vegetable to grow. Even under the most favorable conditions, the first shoots appear only at the end of the third week. But! During this time, a powerful crust appears on the ground, which is “difficult” to overcome by the seeds (due to drying out of the damp spring earth), and weeds all grow around. That is why the gardener has to deal with the side effects and worry about the good germination of seeds, helping them with weeding and careful, minimally powerful at first, watering. An additional option is to cover the bed with newly sown seeds with plastic wrap or spunbond.
But getting shoots is only half the battle. The second half is to competently thin them out. But before proceeding with the task, one should understand where such a problem comes from. It's all about carrot seeds. They:
- small and elongated
- very smooth
- quite dense, therefore, heavy compared to other seeds.
All these qualities "provide" their considerable accuracy when sowing: the seeds fall to the ground in whole groups, in several pieces, and germinate in the same way. That is why the question of the subsequent thinning of the beds is acute. Only in this way, thinning, you can get large, uniform fruits, without deformations.
Attention! Many of the gardeners who sow carrot seeds in the sand, often do not wait for seedlings. And the thing here is in ants, because the sandy soil is their home. They collect carrot seeds in a pile and feed them. Be careful!
Ways of thinning and seeder: harmonious tandem of 2 different "components"
Despite the fact that many may argue and argue that there are different ways of thinning carrot seedlings, this is not so. The only way to get excellent harvest, to enjoy uniformity, smoothness, size of root crops - thin out the carrots by hand. There is no other!
Yes, many may ask a question about how seedlings are thinned out on the former collective-farm, now farmer's fields? No one has ever seen anyone deliberately thinning the carrot fields, because this is difficult because of the existing ha. The output was found in the form of special mechanical, semi-or fully automatic seeders. That is, seeding is done taking into account the distance from one seed to another. Only professional sowing machines can boast excellent seed delivery, exactly the distance set in advance and a friendly sowing. Those models that are offered for home use, do not have such high-quality characteristics.
Thinning procedure for excellent yield
To get a great harvest of carrots, it is not only necessary to thin the beds correctly, but also in time. Following the description of the process, every gardener can do it competently, meticulously and achieve high yields!
Thinning carrots is carried out in 2 stages:
- The first - at the time of the emergence of 2 of these sheets (not cotyledons!). This time the distance between adjacent (future) carrots should be from 2 to 3 cm. You can break through the carrots either manually or with tweezers, if the shoots are thin and elongated. After thinning, the distance between the carrots must be sealed, the rows between the holes should be burst, watering the garden bed abundantly with vegetables, but with a minimum jet head in order to avoid sprouting. It should be noted that the thinned shoots can be transplanted to another breast, watered and cared so that the crop is doubled. They will take root.
- The second - at the moment when the plant reaches 10 cm in height. This is the last thinning, so the distance between the carrots is 6-7 cm. It will give the opportunity to grow large and homogeneous fruits. It should be remembered that the rare cultivation of carrot seedlings will adversely affect the future harvest, because carrots can be deformed, of different size. Shoots after the second thinning are not suitable for transplanting, since they are already very “adults” in order to take root easily in a new place. But at this moment the gardener lurks another attack: a carrot fly, arriving at the aroma of the torn seedlings. Unnecessary plants should be placed in a compost pile, covered with sawdust, and the bed treated with special compounds.
Attention! You can not linger with thinning carrots. After all, densely growing roots to each other will push the weak neighbor, and they themselves can be deformed. In addition, many plants do not receive enough nutrients, therefore, starve and develop incorrectly. Therefore, it is necessary to observe the shoots and make thinning on time!
Variants of carrot sowing without subsequent thinning: TOP-3
So, if the carrot seeds are so “complicated” with themselves, they sprout in a heap (with which the gardener subsequently struggles), then is there an opportunity to sow the carrot so wisely and carefully so as not to thin it after the germination? There are such methods, there are several of them! Here are those that have proven themselves from the most positive side, do not require considerable effort and are acceptable for areas of private country or garden plots.
- The germination of seeds and the subsequent neat placement in rows. To do this, you need to germinate carrots, wrapped in a damp cloth, wait for the swelling and sprouts, then - harden in a refrigerator for a couple of days. After this - sow in rows, manually folding 1 seed. This will seem troublesome to many, but here it is worth remembering about the future thinning in 2 stages - and all doubts will leave.
- Sowing on tape. To do this, cut paper strips with a width of 4-5 cm, glue with paste, spread seeds at a distance of 6-7 cm. You can do this in the winter months free from garden troubles, and you can buy ready-made seeds on the ribbon. Next - stacked in rows, sprinkled, tamped, watered.
- Old granny way to work flawlessly. In the mouth it is necessary to mix the seeds with water, spray it as it once did when ironing (when there were no modern irons). Shoots will be uniform and friendly.
It turns out that sowing carrot seeds without subsequent thinning is possible. But automatic thinning is not. In short, you can’t easily grow carrots. But you now know how to do it with ease!
What to consider when growing carrots
When planting carrots, you need not only to take care of preparing the soil and enriching it with useful substances, but also competently think about the neighborhood of vegetable crops. Should be considered:
- this root vegetable gets on well Next to the beds of garlic, onions, spinach, planting cucumbers and tomatoes. Does not prevent the growth and development of carrots peas,
- landing place. На следующий год грядку с морковью нужно организовать в другом месте, чтобы урожай был выше,
- подкормку посадки удобрениями. Подойдут содержащие фосфор и калий,
- прополку грядок и подсыпку земли под стебли,
- периодические поливы. Рекомендуемая частота - 2 раза в неделю,
- удаление насекомых с листьев и стеблей.
Observing these recommendations, you can get excellent carrot harvest every year.